Sonic Lost World has shipped 640,000 copied.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/07/sonic-lost-world-ships-640000-sega-profits-down

Sonic: Lost World sales shipments sit at 640,000 units, according to a SEGA financial briefing released today. But this wasn't enough for SEGA to have year-over-year growth for packaged game software through its third quarter, in which the company reported 6.31 million sales as compared to last year's 6.94 million tally.

"In the consumer business, although [SEGA] launched multiple titles, including Football Manager 2014 and Sonic: Lost World, in the packaged game software field, sales were low due to the harsh market environment," the financial report stated.

Sonic Boom will come out later this year on Wii U and 3DS, and it will be complemented by toys and a new CG animated television series.

I really thing Sega should just jump off the Wii U. From the looks of things PC and digital(outside the Wii U) are the majority of their sales. In fact, I don't understand releasing a new version of Sonic on the system you are not doing well on and have your main team working on a Sonic game not on the Wii u.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

Ill probably pick this up in the coming months

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

I've been meaning to pick this one up. Its pretty cheap now

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

FLOP

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Sonic Generations was decently successful was it not? Why they keep making failed Wii U attempts is beyond me.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Both Lost World and Boom are published by Nintendo. Well they have a exclusivity contract about it.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 StrongBlackVine

@Crossel777 said:

Sonic Generations was decently successful was it not? Why they keep making failed Wii U attempts is beyond me.

And 3rd party developers making exclusives games for Wii U is destined to flop. Hope they are being moneyhatted handsomely.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@Crossel777 said:

a lot of non-Wii sonic games did well Including the bad ones. The majority of Sonic sales on Nintendo hardware are spin-offs, mostly the Olympic games. But that cash spilled long ago. In fact, i am surprised they are still pushing the Wii u, considering they are not getting anywhere near the cash flow they were getting. Even the 3DS is not making much for them. The Sonic Boom almost seems DOA just because the userbase is not there.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4195 Posts

The most important thing about this is finding out how much Sega made off the game and compare it to how much it cost to make. We tend to group raw numbers into one category when determining whether a game is successful or not. Depending on how much money they put into the game, this could have made money for Sega.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#10 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Am I seriously the only one who knows that the reason why it's Wii U exclusive is because SEGA and Nintendo have a three game exclusive contract. Maybe people need to quit trolling and start reading.

I will forever question why they didn't keep the Modern Sonic gameplay from Generations. It was the perfected style on Unleashed (you know the day parts, the only fun parts of the game).

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

I haven't played a Sonic game since the Dreamcast, and before that it was the Mega Drive... I'll pick one up on the cheap some day.

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts

@bbkkristian said:

Am I seriously the only one who knows that the reason why it's Wii U exclusive is because SEGA and Nintendo have a three game exclusive contract. Maybe people need to quit trolling and start reading.

I will forever question why they didn't keep the Modern Sonic gameplay from Generations. It was the perfected style on Unleashed (you know the day parts, the only fun parts of the game).

And then Lost World happened, I'll play Boom, but I am waiting on the PS4 game.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Sega has a contract with Nintendo for 3 Sonic exclusive games and they have to complete it even if they lose money on it or they could get sued.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

If I was a Wii U owner, I wouldn't buy this game.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33099 Posts

The WiiU has little to no influence on the LTD of this game. The 3DS version of this game also has a low LTD.Sonic games have sold kinda badly in the past on consoles that were selling well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Crossel777 said:

Because Sonic always sells most on Nintendo. The highest selling version of Generations was the 3DS version. Colors outsold all versions of Generations put together, and that was a Nintendo exclusive.

That's why.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I own a Wii U but I have little interest in this game. Maybe I'll get it when it's really cheap but they should have just done a Sonic Colors 2 (or something like Generations).

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

Nintendo should buy Sega then (with Atlus) since Sonic Mario and Pokemon on the same console can translate to big sales.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

But I thought People WANTED Nintendo to money hat projects?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

600k? thats pretty good...

keep em coming sega :-)

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

@speak_low said:

I'd like to report a crime to 911

Nintendo and Wii U have been seen murdering profits and sales for every publisher.

Get out of there SEGA. Don't stick around dumb companies that make video game consoles but can't sell video games or consoles.

LMFAO but 640,000 games sold seems pretty good for a average/budget Sonic game.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6056 Posts

I have both versions and they sucked hard, especially the 3ds version (I'll try to give it another chance). I would love to see adventure battle 3 with a kickass soundtrack, minus the dubbstep sometime before I die.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 StrongBlackVine

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

Nintendo should buy Sega then (with Atlus) since Sonic Mario and Pokemon on the same console can translate to big sales.

Seems too much of the same stuff that people don't want any more.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 StrongBlackVine
@Opus_Rea-333 said:

@speak_low said:

Nintendo and Wii U have been seen murdering profits and sales for every publisher.

Get out of there SEGA. Don't stick around dumb companies that make video game consoles but can't sell video games or consoles.

LMFAO but 640,000 games sold seems pretty good for a average/budget Sonic game.

Knack was a better investment.

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

Seems too much of the same stuff that people don't want any more.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#27 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts
@super600 said:

The WiiU has little to no influence on the LTD of this game. The 3DS version of this game also has a low LTD.Sonic games in the have sold kinda badly in the past on consoles that were selling well.

This. I know the Wii U is struggling, but jeez, this is getting desperate on so many levels. Then again, it is a jakandsigz thread.

@LegatoSkyheart said:

But I thought People WANTED Nintendo to money hat projects?

This further shows the hypocrisy in the gaming community, does it?

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33099 Posts

@speak_low said:

The WiiU has little to no influence on the sales of this sonic game. Sonic games like sonic riders zero gravity and black knight have sold terribly in the past on consoles with high userbases(under 1 million usually or barely over a million).

mario-galaxys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mario-galaxys
Member since 2011 • 574 Posts

@super600 said:

@speak_low said:

The WiiU has little to no influence on the sales of this sonic game. Sonic games like sonic riders zero gravity and black knight have sold terribly in the past on consoles with high userbases(under 1 million usually or barely over a million).

It should be mentioned that both games were not received very well by critics which may explain their sales.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts
@Ghost120x said:

I have both versions and they sucked hard, especially the 3ds version (I'll try to give it another chance). I would love to see adventure battle 3 with a kickass soundtrack, minus the dubbstep sometime before I die.

I loved the 3DS demo, how's the rest of the game?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13637 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

I haven't played a Sonic game since the Dreamcast, and before that it was the Mega Drive... I'll pick one up on the cheap some day.

The only one i've liked from the new batch is Sonic Generations. I recommend it, it's probably dirt cheap by now. It's like the best bits of Sonic in overdrive. And there's these fun challenges added to levels.

I played Sonic Colors on the Wii and didn't like it, you might though. Most Sonic games don't grab me.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

I highly recommend Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations. Colours is a great game, very fun and addictive to replay, albeit short.

Sonic Generations perfected the formula brought in Unleashed and improved in Colours. It is one of my personal favorite games of the 7th gen., i recommend you get the PC version because it's not only the best version but also has a big modding community.

Both have some shoddy level design here and there (like every single Sonic game i can think of, **** Marble Garden Zone in Sonic 3 & Knuckles) but overall they're great games absolutely worth playing.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

Thanks guys ^^ I'll check them out. I miss the days of playing Sonic... Ahhh memories.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Generations sucked.

The Lost World sucked.

If Sega wants Sonic to be relevant on any console they should just concentrate on making their games good.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6056 Posts

@Epak_ said:
@Ghost120x said:

I loved the 3DS demo, how's the rest of the game?

The demo probably showcased on of the earlier levels in the game. The first ten levels were great but then the game took a turn for the worse. Most notably this level where you have to do some kind of puzzle throughout the entire level to make water rise to get to the top of a large tower. I said to myself " what the hell is this doing in a sonic game? it reminded me of the water temple in the OOT. What a mess.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@bbkkristian said:

I liked the Night stages for their platforming. The combat was not that good but I really liked the platforming of the nighttime levels. The Daytime levels were good though. The nighttime levels had real platforming which I liked, the daytime stages had it here and there but it was more Blast through the level type gameplay. I didn't mind the Werehog, I just think they needed to work on the combat a bit more. I played the Wii version which the reviews say was the better version (I can't confirm it because I haven't played the other versions).

The thing I liked the most about Sonic Unleashed was that Soundtrack. That soundtrack was phenominal. No Crush 40 messing up with terrible singing and non needed lyrics. Unleashed just had pure instrumentals like it should have been and they sounded great.

Generations was good too. I love Lost Worlds. It has the perfect balance. Great platforming in which some parts you CANNOT blast through (Meaning you have to actually STOP sonic, think about what you need to do to get past certain parts and choose which path to take all which the Original Genesis versions were like). They need to take that formula and build upon it if they want to take the 3D route.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#37 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Sonic has done better mainly on Nintendo systems but remember Adventure 2 Battle was mainly the Dreamcast game with just a bit more content added and Adventure DX as well which added a few pointless extra things.

Heroes probably was best on the Gamecube but I still didn't like it. Colors was a great title considering the recent outings like Unleashed which sucked and Generations was also a good game too but since then the series is starting to slide again with pointless Olympic Game crossovers and a poor mans Mario Galaxy in Lost World.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

600k? thats pretty good...

keep em coming sega :-)

Not for Sonic