Something that consoles couldn't do.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 edo-tensei
Member since 2007 • 4581 Posts

An mmo combining Arma 2 with Total War games. An mmo not restrictive to player count less than a 100 per game session. I think it would be badass if they create a world similar to this an introduce a grind/reward system. I understand that consoles at their current state can't and wouldn't be able to handle something like this; and that's why I refere this as a pc potential for the near future.

I really would mind paying for a monster of a game like this one. Take that console only players!!.... a guy can dream:P

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Well consoles could handle that, a console could handle WoW and that is massive. It is mostly the server for MMO's, consoles are just lacking the power of modern PC's.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
It doesn't really make sense.. Who should control the "armies" (players?) on the world map?
edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 edo-tensei
It doesn't really make sense.. Who should control the "armies" (players?) on the world map? danish-death
Mods? lol.
edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 edo-tensei
Well consoles could handle that, a console could handle WoW and that is massive. It is mostly the server for MMO's, consoles are just lacking the power of modern PC's.wooooode
I know, I just wanted to make it SWry.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
[QUOTE="danish-death"]It doesn't really make sense.. Who should control the "armies" (players?) on the world map? edo-tensei
Mods? lol.

So what you're proposing is .. basicly a FPS game with a minimum of a 100 players on the field?
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
Most of the real beefy work in a MMO is all done server side, the only things your system really does is represent the graphical outcome of your inputs. Well it can vary wildly between MMO systems. Some games do use non-server side calculations and respresentations to present a much faster response time due to not requiring the server to authenticate. FFXI was on PS2, 360, and PC for 7 years (Not as long on 360) and the only difference between systems was the graphical representations was lacking compared to it's PC counterpart, but otherwise functioned just as well as the PC.
Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
Well consoles could handle that, a console could handle WoW and that is massive. It is mostly the server for MMO's, consoles are just lacking the power of modern PC's.wooooode
You would be fairly restricted as to what you can do. My old AMD 4000+ with 2GB Ram and a 7800GT couldn't handle my guilds ICC 25 raid even at 800x600 on the lowest settings. Couldn't really handle Dalaran either. Console memory limitations and weak CPUs could only keep up with PVE questing and the smaller battlegrounds like War Song Gulch and Arathi Basin.
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

FFXI was on PS2, 360, and PC for 7 years (Not as long on 360) and the only difference between systems was the graphical representations was lacking compared to it's PC counterpart, but otherwise functioned just as well as the PC.Jynxzor

Just as well yes but comparing it to other PC mmos it was really clunky, slow and limiting. It may have been a good console mmo but not a good PC one. Plus FFXI is really old, the standard is higher up today. You can't just release another FFXI these days. Just look at FFXIV.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#10 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
I seriously doubt any of the current consoles could run WoW maxed even at 1280x720
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
[QUOTE="wooooode"]Well consoles could handle that, a console could handle WoW and that is massive. It is mostly the server for MMO's, consoles are just lacking the power of modern PC's.-Unreal-
I seriously doubt any of the current consoles could run WoW maxed even at 1280x720

Wow isn't a graphics hog our resource hog for that matter what matter is dedicated servers.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#12 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
[QUOTE="-Unreal-"][QUOTE="wooooode"]Well consoles could handle that, a console could handle WoW and that is massive. It is mostly the server for MMO's, consoles are just lacking the power of modern PC's.WilliamRLBaker

Wow isn't a graphics hog our resource hog for that matter what matter is dedicated servers.

You reccon it would run maxed out on one of the current consoles in Orgrimmar at peak time with 300+ players jumping/flying around? I don't.
1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

Most of the real beefy work in a MMO is all done server side, the only things your system really does is represent the graphical outcome of your inputs. Well it can vary wildly between MMO systems. Some games do use non-server side calculations and respresentations to present a much faster response time due to not requiring the server to authenticate. FFXI was on PS2, 360, and PC for 7 years (Not as long on 360) and the only difference between systems was the graphical representations was lacking compared to it's PC counterpart, but otherwise functioned just as well as the PC.Jynxzor

Actually the newer MMO's, especially Rift, require a very beefy PC to run on max settings.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
mmo?
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="-Unreal-"][QUOTE="wooooode"]Well consoles could handle that, a console could handle WoW and that is massive. It is mostly the server for MMO's, consoles are just lacking the power of modern PC's.WilliamRLBaker

Consoles have 256mb of ram. They wouldn't stand a chance in a busy area.
TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
mmos...:lol: I mean ok..DC Universe was fun, but mmos in general...:lol:
Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
[QUOTE="edo-tensei"][QUOTE="danish-death"]It doesn't really make sense.. Who should control the "armies" (players?) on the world map? danish-death
Mods? lol.

So what you're proposing is .. basicly a FPS game with a minimum of a 100 players on the field?

I thought we already played a game like that and realized how bad it sucked... MAG is junk. :P
edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 edo-tensei
[QUOTE="danish-death"][QUOTE="edo-tensei"] Mods? lol.MrSelf-Destruct

I thought we already played a game like that and realized how bad it sucked... MAG is junk. :P

But arma 2 and the total war games have huge maps, more than 100 players shouldn't be a problem. It only needs to be done correctly.
Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="danish-death"] So what you're proposing is .. basicly a FPS game with a minimum of a 100 players on the field? edo-tensei

But arma 2 and the total war games have huge maps, more than 100 players shouldn't be a problem. It only needs to be done correctly.

Oh, yeah, no argument there. Just the way Danish put it brought back bad memories. lol
milsvaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 milsvaard
Member since 2003 • 1928 Posts

Didn't MAG do the 256 player thing already? I never played it but I read about it somewhere.

suitmypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 suitmypants
Member since 2004 • 1015 Posts

Didn't MAG do the 256 player thing already? I never played it but I read about it somewhere.

milsvaard
yeah. they did. and it's fun
dRuGGeRnaUt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dRuGGeRnaUt
Member since 2006 • 1637 Posts
[QUOTE="suitmypants"][QUOTE="milsvaard"]

yeah. they did. and it's fun

If im not mistaken, it's not 256 players in one area, they are seperated by zones are they not? I read somewhere its 256 in the game, but each "zone" is only say 20-36(making up numbers) each.. obviously doesnt mean it isnt fun, but deceptive.
ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts

It's not console power, it's abut server power and way how software is build on them, all console mostlike would handle massive MMO... bah, it does not take same amount of processing power as offline game would take because most of logic thta operates the game sits on server. People might not get idea of this, but multiplayer game is nothing more then client that displayer game state that server transmit, it does not process other player movement (well maybe it fo to optimize), just display what server is telling client to display.Same as websites dont take any processing power from you just because all the stuff behind it happens on server. Ofcorse situation changes when server runs on player console (P2P), then a console power limitation truly kicks in, other way it's not a issue.

If im not mistaken, it's not 256 players in one area, they are seperated by zones are they not? I read somewhere its 256 in the game, but each "zone" is only say 20-36(making up numbers) each.. obviously doesnt mean it isnt fun, but deceptive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_FEbTO8udg

Note that only one mode in MAG is 256 player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2xXFdpiKDc

Also note that those videos shows only one team :p

Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts

Wrong. Wow demands of lot of memory and in a lot of end game content can be extremely demanding on your CPU.
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

[QUOTE="Jynxzor"]Most of the real beefy work in a MMO is all done server side, the only things your system really does is represent the graphical outcome of your inputs. Well it can vary wildly between MMO systems. Some games do use non-server side calculations and respresentations to present a much faster response time due to not requiring the server to authenticate. FFXI was on PS2, 360, and PC for 7 years (Not as long on 360) and the only difference between systems was the graphical representations was lacking compared to it's PC counterpart, but otherwise functioned just as well as the PC.1080pOnly

Actually the newer MMO's, especially Rift, require a very beefy PC to run on max settings.

You do realise my entire post pretty much said aside from GRAPHICS that most MMO's could easily run on Consol systems. The reason they don't is usually the PC centric design not only controls but many MMO's have customizable HUDs that would make it unfair for a consol gamer who couldn't customize his layout with tools like PC users can. Only reason XIV isn't on the Ps3 as we speak is becuase they don't want to release it until the game is ready for a full subscription release. Otherwise SE has stated the game is physically ready to play but why waste the cash shipping it when people wont buy it yet. PS3 launch will be it's last chance at garnering media attention and thus new players.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Over 32players on 360 :lol: