Someone offers you a billion dollars to stop playing games forever. Take it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#201 Posted by TheFlameProof (438 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheFlameProof"][QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

Wouldn't hesitate. Could still play PS3 exclusives. Didn't say anything about watching them

AznbkdX

Its this a burn on metal gear? -_-

Or watching others play?

Yep... lets just watch Metal Gear or Heavy Rain. Man those are great movies! :P

It's funny that you bring that up because the new Heavy Rain game is going to star Ellen Paige. As if these developers couldn't make it more obvious they are making movies, not games.
#202 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

I have no confidence in my ability to manage that sort of windfall, much less use it effectively.I'm sure being able to play games would bring me more happiness in the long run.

Now if I was instead offered some sort of pension for the rest of my life, enough to support a family on if I were to have one, I would take that.

#203 Posted by TheDidact (3986 posts) -

F*ck yes, are you kidding me? I'd do it for a million, but a billion? You'd have to be a complete idiot to even think about it.

I enjoy games and always have, but damn. They aren't that important and as you get older their significance becomes less and less.

Wiimotefan
Perfectly said.
#204 Posted by clone01 (26994 posts) -

I have no confidence in my ability to manage that sort of windfall, much less use it effectively.I'm sure being able to play games would bring me more happiness in the long run.

Now if I was instead offered some sort of pension for the rest of my life, enough to support a family on if I were to have one, I would take that.

Cherokee_Jack
Seriously, though, you'd have to screw up pretty bad to burn through a billion dollars.
#205 Posted by Trinitarian (1339 posts) -

My first counsole i ever owned was when i was 9 yrs old. It was the Atria 2600 with about 10 games. I have owned almost every console since then. Now i have a PS3/xbox 360 with about 50 games combined. For 1 billion dollars.... i would...(drumroll)....Dump every game i own and the habbit of gaming for ever. Real life is the best video game ever created, however, to enjoy it to the max you need cash which i don't have a lot of, so for now i settle for video games lol.

#206 Posted by JameMcCabe (326 posts) -
Meh, I would definitely take it. There are more enthralling as well as constructive things to do in the world than play video games all the time. Too bad some people here on this forum don't seem to realize it.
#207 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

My first counsole i ever owned was when i was 9 yrs old. It was the Atria 2600 with about 10 games. I have owned almost every console since then. Now i have a PS3/xbox 360 with about 50 games combined. For 1 billion dollars.... i would...(drumroll)....Dump every game i own and the habbit of gaming for ever. Real life is the best video game ever created, however, to enjoy it to the max you need cash which i don't have a lot of, so for now i settle for video games lol.

Trinitarian

There's no respawn system.

Screw that.

#208 Posted by Trinitarian (1339 posts) -

[QUOTE="Trinitarian"]

Goyoshi12

Screw that.

well no matter, we all die one day. I'd rather die having used 1 billion dollars on adventures, building a family, investing, donating to the poor, ect. Than just pretending to do good things or pretending to aquire wealth and items in a game lol.
#209 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8541 posts) -

[QUOTE="Trinitarian"]

Goyoshi12

Screw that.

Luckily there's no lag in real life though.

That's the only reason I ever die in video games :cool:

#210 Posted by ArisShadows (22784 posts) -
Take it, hire a hitman, and get rid of whoever involved with the offer. And I win.
#211 Posted by JameMcCabe (326 posts) -

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="Trinitarian"]

Ly_the_Fairy

Screw that.

You are so funny. I'm contemplating saving your comment to my signature and then showing my friends just so they can see how cool you are.
#212 Posted by TheFlameProof (438 posts) -

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="Trinitarian"]

Ly_the_Fairy

Screw that.

The graphics of real life are decent. 7/10.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#213 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -
[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="Trinitarian"]

Trinitarian

Screw that.

well no matter, we all die one day. I'd rather die having used 1 billion dollars on adventures, building a family, investing, donating to the poor, ect. Than just pretending to do good things or pretending to aquire wealth and items in a game lol.

You just described a fable game.
#214 Posted by TheFlameProof (438 posts) -
[QUOTE="ArisShadows"]Take it, hire a hitman, and get rid of whoever involved with the offer. And I win.

Don't you think a guy willing to give you A BILLION DOLLARS has enough disposable income to turn your little plan against you? Think about it.
#215 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="Trinitarian"]

Trinitarian

Screw that.

You say that like that's all you're ever going to do in life.

#216 Posted by Animal-Mother (27350 posts) -

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] That's kind of hard to pin down, but there are quite a few things I like more than gaming. I love old cars, for instance, and with that kind of money, I could buy and maintain a rather large stable of them. I also love traveling, boating, etc. The real kicker is that being independently wealthy would give me an unlimited amount of time to write, which is what I really love.DarkLink77

It's nice to see some modesty. I'd probably buy my parents a nice home and just keep living in the one I live in now. Re-decorate a bit. Buy a nicer car. And just make movies the rest of my life.

I honestly can't tell if you were being sarcastic. :P

Dead serious. It is modest.
#217 Posted by Slow_Show (2018 posts) -

Cherokee_Jack

I really don't think there's a way to screw up spending a billion dollars. Buy Hearst Castle and turn it into a giant ball pit? Start a civil war reinactment society comprising entirely of bonobos? Buy and subsequently reveal to the world that rare first draft othe US constitution with the word "suckers" in it? Spend your free time on the internet making semi-obscure XKCD and Simpsons references? Win-win all the way.

#218 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

Slow_Show

I really don't think there's a way to screw up spending a billion dollars. Buy Hearst Castle and turn it into a giant ball pit? Start a civil war reinactment society comprising entirely of bonobos? Buy and subsequently reveal to the world that rare first draft othe US constitution with the word "suckers" in it? Spend your free time on the internet making semi-obscure XKCD and Simpsons references? Win-win all the way.

Oh it's pretty easy to screw up spending, especially when you don't take into other factors such as other people who want that money and will do "anything" to get it.

#219 Posted by TheFlameProof (438 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Boostinsane"] What?!? Why are you guys so quick to give up your favorite hobby? Isn't life all about the simple joys and freedoms and not about money?seanmcloughlin

It's a billion dollars. A billion.

Don't think some people understand just how much money that is

Yeah. Enough to buy you a little less than half of a NASA space shuttle.
#220 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

I would take the money and make it a goal to double it. Once I've doubled it I would try to again and again. If I am successfull and if at a point I get bored or just on a whim I would then take my personal wealth I've accumulated and fund projects that no one else would.

#221 Posted by charizard1605 (82622 posts) -
Uh, yeah.
#222 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
nah. that's so much money it's redundant, and games is my favorite hobby and my career. i can live perfectly fine without a billion dollars.
#223 Posted by JameMcCabe (326 posts) -
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]nah. that's so much money it's redundant, and games is my favorite hobby and my career. i can live perfectly fine without a billion dollars.

You play video games for a living? :lol:
#224 Posted by AgentA-Mi6 (16660 posts) -
I'd quit gaming forever for a lot less than one billion dollars, MUCH much MUUUUCH less than that.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#225 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

Do people actually know how much 1 billion really is? :? I find it extremely hard to believe some people would willingly keep gaming in their life and turn down that

#226 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
[QUOTE="JameMcCabe"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]nah. that's so much money it's redundant, and games is my favorite hobby and my career. i can live perfectly fine without a billion dollars.

no, but i want to make them for a living. it's why i'm in college for.
#227 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]nah. that's so much money it's redundant, and games is my favorite hobby and my career. i can live perfectly fine without a billion dollars.JameMcCabe

making games numb nuts

#228 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -

Do people actually know how much 1 billion really is? :? I find it extremely hard to believe some people would willingly keep gaming in their life and turn down that

seanmcloughlin
not having that one billion means things stay as it is. you go on with your (happy, i assume) life. you didn't lose one billion, you just didn't get it. it's like not winning in the lottery. life doesn't change.
#229 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"] It's a billion dollars. A billion.TheFlameProof

Don't think some people understand just how much money that is

Yeah. Enough to buy you a little less than half of a NASA space shuttle.

Just what I always dreamed of buying with that much money :|

#230 Posted by JameMcCabe (326 posts) -

[QUOTE="JameMcCabe"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]nah. that's so much money it's redundant, and games is my favorite hobby and my career. i can live perfectly fine without a billion dollars.seanmcloughlin

making games numb nuts

Numb nuts? I'm no numb nuts. I don't have g@y emo games like Shadow of the Colossus as my avatar. :)
#231 Posted by JameMcCabe (326 posts) -
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="JameMcCabe"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]nah. that's so much money it's redundant, and games is my favorite hobby and my career. i can live perfectly fine without a billion dollars.

no, but i want to make them for a living. it's why i'm in college for.

Oh right. I guess that's cool. My apologies.
#232 Posted by ArisShadows (22784 posts) -

But honestly, probably not. I like gaming, its my hobby. Is it my only hobby? No. Could I get another hobby? Sure, but why? Money to me is not that important. I earn enough to be satisfied with what I have, why would I need a billion? Plus it be a bit dumb, I wouldn't be able to spend it one of my favorite hobbies. Its be nice not to ever have to work again, but whatever.

#233 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="JameMcCabe"] You play video games for a living? :lol:JameMcCabe

making games numb nuts

Numb nuts? I'm no numb nuts. I don't have g@y emo games like Shadow of the Colossus as my avatar. :)

... ...you just insulted the best game ever made. if i didn't know better, i'd probably go on a long rant about how wrong you are.
#234 Posted by Mr_Cumberdale (10189 posts) -
Nope. That means you can't compete in anything because everything is essentially a game.
#235 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

BrunoBRS

not having that one billion means things stay as it is. you go on with your (happy, i assume) life. you didn't lose one billion, you just didn't get it. it's like not winning in the lottery. life doesn't change.

never having to worry about debt, 9-5 jobs, bills, mortgages etc. etc. is a huge load off any one humans life and with a billion I could make safe a nice home, decent car and a college tuition for my kids.not to mention the time and money to do just about anythign I could ever dream of doing, rather than without it and doing just one thing I might like. It's easy say nothing will change without it, but EVERYTHING changes with it.

I'd much rather have it

#236 Posted by ArisShadows (22784 posts) -
[QUOTE="JameMcCabe"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

making games numb nuts

BrunoBRS

... ...you just insulted the best game ever made. if i didn't know better, i'd probably go on a long rant about how wrong you are.

A great game, sure, best ever, thats an opinion, sir. Starcraft > Shadow of the Colosus. COME AT ME BRO!
#237 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -
[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="JameMcCabe"] You play video games for a living? :lol:JameMcCabe

making games numb nuts

Well you won't last long here.
#238 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
Yeah. Without a doubt.
#239 Posted by Vaasman (12870 posts) -

seanmcloughlin

If someone paid me 10 million dollars to turn down the offer and keep gaming I'd probably take it. I have simple tastes, I don't prefer traveling and have no real desire to explore or live in luxury. Past 2-3 million dollars, I can't see how having that much money would improve the experience of being rich for me.

#240 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
[QUOTE="ArisShadows"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="JameMcCabe"] Numb nuts? I'm no numb nuts. I don't have g@y emo games like Shadow of the Colossus as my avatar. :)

A great game, sure, best ever, thats an opinion, sir. Starcraft > Shadow of the Colosus. COME AT ME BRO!

sure. but his adjectives imply his thoughts on the game are less than positive.
#242 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (22289 posts) -

I would take the money and quit gaming. Then, I'd pay all the major game developers to quit making games. If I can't play games, no one can. :lol:

#243 Posted by Thefatness16 (4673 posts) -

Probably not. I don't like much beyond gaming and Basketball/Football.

Not sure what I'd spend a billion on besides opening my own gaming company anyway.

#244 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -
[QUOTE="JameMcCabe"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

making games numb nuts

BrunoBRS

Ditto, ditto, ditto.
#245 Posted by AznbkdX (4181 posts) -

All the ppl that wouldn't take the money are self indulged hipsters. ;)

#246 Posted by ArisShadows (22784 posts) -

I would take the money and quit gaming. Then, I'd pay all the major game developers to quit making games. If I can't play games, no one can. :lol:

jun_aka_pekto
I don't think a billion will cut it. :P
#247 Posted by ArisShadows (22784 posts) -

AznbkdX
Why you say that? Maybe I don't value the dollar that highly as some of you, maybe I simply satisfied with what I have and I prefer to have a hobby I like?
#248 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

ArisShadows

I don't think a billion will cut it. :P

Not even close. That wouldn't even close EA alone.

Also you have an unhealthy obsession with korean girls :P

#249 Posted by AznbkdX (4181 posts) -

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

ArisShadows

Why you say that? Maybe I don't value the dollar that highly as some of you, maybe I simply satisfied with what I have and I prefer to have a hobby I like?

Oh, don't get antsy in the pantsy. :P

I was just joking around haha. Whatever floats your boat I say.

#250 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
You say that like he would even conisder coming back into this place with that much money.Goyoshi12
Heh, my life as it's currently going will eventually keep me from coming back. The only thing I might do is pay for a programmer to scrap the damn forum code and rebuild it from scratch. Gamespot doesn't seen capable of finding competent coders.