So you still believe in scalability will work with NEXT gen games? Halo Reach delayed on X1 due to limtations

• 158 results
#1 Edited by BoxRekt (2024 posts) -

Halo: Reach tests on Xbox One delayed due to memory limitations, PC on schedule

The Xbox One is showing its age.

few weeks ago, public testers finally got their hands on Halo: Reach on PC. The game already runs smoothly and looks great. However, many console gamers were wondering when they could get their hands on the native Xbox One version of Halo: Reach.

Unfortunately, it looks like that won't happen for a while because the team at 343 Industries has run into problems with memory limitations. The customization system has been overhauled and now uses Unreal Engine 4. Between the eleven different engines in Halo: The Master Chief Collection, and seven different games, the Xbox One can't handle it.The team is hard at work on a solution, but it's unclear when that might happen.

343:

"As has been stated previously, making any game is hard, let alone where you're dealing with eleven game engines and seven complete games under the roof of one title sharing the same hardware resources. One key goal that has been a part of bringing Halo: Reach into Halo: The Master Chief Collection is that for Xbox One, the team has been attempting to bring Unreal Engine 4 online for new character customization options on Xbox... This, however, has proved to be quite challenging as the Master Chief Collection was already close to memory limits running on the original Xbox One consoles.

Bringing the entire progression and customization system... also requires memory to be used to run the additional Unreal Engine 4 engine. Currently, a lot of progress has been made in getting it up and running, but the title still is not within memory constraints to properly run on the Xbox One. In order to flight on Xbox One, we need to be within these limits, otherwise, instability will be an issue. Until the team has an adequate solution for this unique issue, flighting on the Xbox One will continue to be delayed. That being said, the team is pushing hard on a solution as they want to flight the Xbox One build as soon as possible. Until then though flighting will continue to remain solely on the PC build."

https://www.windowscentral.com/halo-reach-tests-xbox-one-delayed-due-memory-limitations-pc-tests-schedule

lol and we're not even talking about a ground up next gen game with all the bells and whistles here. This is a last gen remaster having issues running on X1.

Some people are shot sighted and some people are just puppets who will believe whatever a corporate executive tells them.

For any one who tried to argue "forward compatibility" or "scalability" as viable development option over true split next gen game development for up coming consoles...this is your subtle wake up call.

WAKE UP!

Leave all tears, butthurt, mental gymnastics, deflection and corporate shilling in the comments below.

#2 Posted by Fedor (5344 posts) -

I guess they won't be able to run cross gen games that have 11 different engines. Shame.

#3 Edited by BoxRekt (2024 posts) -
@fedor said:

I guess they won't be able to run cross gen games that have 11 different engines. Shame.

When people with working brains realize that Halo Reach isn't even cross gen much less a next gen game, your comment looks even more laughable.

2/10

#4 Posted by DrLostRib (5065 posts) -

I don't know what their plans are for forwards compatibility but I doubt that they'll all have this "unique issue" and have to deal with trying to add another engine to a collection that already has "eleven different engines [...], and seven different games"

#5 Edited by BoxRekt (2024 posts) -
@drlostrib said:

I don't know what their plans are for forwards compatibility but I doubt that they'll all have this "unique issue" and have to deal with trying to add another engine to a collection that already has "eleven different engines [...], and seven different games"

lol it's DEVELOPMENT issue.

This is the reason why forward compatibility is dumb for all people who make those arguments.

To "maintain" that compatibility they would HAVE to scale things back in order to maintain user access across platforms. It's not simply an issue of not being able to make games run, it's a issue of restricting game potential to enable weaker systems wont be left behind.

PC and Xbox fanboys don't seem to understand what console generations are for and think the idea of scaling on console is interchangeable with what happens on PC. The flaw in that logic is already clear to people intelligent enough to recognize the obvious differences in how how the platforms are supported. This will only become more clear as time goes on.

#6 Posted by Heirren (2324 posts) -

Of course i believe next gen games can upscale, its basically what all pc games are, today.

#7 Edited by Fedor (5344 posts) -

@boxrekt: What does that have to do with what I said? Ole no life up to his same tricks again.

#8 Posted by Archangel3371 (28548 posts) -

Umm, you do realize that it’s because they have so many games running on various engines in the Master Chief Collection that is the issue here don’t you?

#9 Edited by BoxRekt (2024 posts) -
@fedor said:

@boxrekt: What does that have to do with what I said? Ole no life up to his same tricks again.

Wait, I post on this board after board off for days and you respond within minutes but you say I have no life? Shut the hell up projecting your "no life" insecurity on me kid.

You post on this board as if it's a mission to validate your self worth.

if you can't stick to the topic then STFU.

#10 Posted by BoxRekt (2024 posts) -
@heirren said:

Of course i believe next gen games can upscale, its basically what all pc games are, today.

The flaw in you logic is that you used PC games as your example.

If you don't understand why that logic is flawed you really need to try to figure out why console generations exist then try again.

#11 Posted by DrLostRib (5065 posts) -
@boxrekt said:
@drlostrib said:

This is the reason why forward compatibility is dumb for all people who make those arguments.

To "maintain" that compatibility they would HAVE to scale things back in order to maintain user access across platforms. It's not simply an issue of not being able to make games run, it's a issue of restricting game potential to enable weaker systems wont be left behind.

PC and Xbox fanboys don't seem to understand what console generations are for and think the idea of scaling on console is interchangeable with what happens on PC. The flaw in that logic is already clear to people intelligent enough to recognize the obvious differences in how how the platforms are supported. This will only become more clear as time goes on.

it's apparently a "unique [development] issue"

#12 Edited by BoxRekt (2024 posts) -
@Archangel3371 said:

Umm, you do realize that it’s because they have so many games running on various engines in the Master Chief Collection that is the issue here don’t you?

And your Point?

Here's something you need to realize, they say it's running fine on PC.

Why is it running fine on PC?

Better yet, do you think the game would have issues running if it was only required to run on xbox one X?

#13 Posted by Fedor (5344 posts) -

@boxrekt: The topic is already /thread bud. Cross gen games won't have the same issues MCC is having, no life.

#14 Posted by Pedro (35640 posts) -

So, running into memory problems due to 11 game engine compatibility and tracking data from all of the games in the collection is a reflection of normal gaming woes?

Meanwhile, Halo Infinite is going to be on the Xbox One

And the Switch, a console with last gen hardware is running current gen games.

Your agenda failed to meet real world expectations. I look forward to your next failed attempt. :)

#15 Posted by Heirren (2324 posts) -

@boxrekt:

Wait what?

#16 Posted by DrLostRib (5065 posts) -
@boxrekt said:
@Archangel3371 said:

And your Point?

probably helps that it's just Halo Reach releasing on PC at the moment, not trying to be integrated into the MCC

#17 Posted by BoxRekt (2024 posts) -
@fedor said:

@boxrekt: The topic is already /thread bud. Cross gen games won't have the same issues MCC is having, no life.

I know, NEXT GEN games will be much much worse this this, low IQ.

#18 Posted by Fedor (5344 posts) -

@boxrekt: Are you literate?

#19 Posted by Pedro (35640 posts) -

@drlostrib said:

probably helps that it's just Halo Reach releasing on PC at the moment, not trying to be integrated into the MCC

They should just release Halo Reach as standalone on the Xbox One instead of packing it in the mess of whatever they currently have. I understand the benefit for gamers' ease of use between the different games without having to quit an existing game to start a another. But, they already have 11 game engines occupying some space in memory and that is mainly because of the toggle option to the old version during gameplay.

#20 Posted by Pedro (35640 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@fedor said:

No it would not. You are nothing thinking. Name a game that has 11 game engines and allows the player to toggle between old graphics and new graphic engines on the fly. I will wait.

#21 Posted by BoxRekt (2024 posts) -
@drlostrib said:
@boxrekt said:
@drlostrib said:

lol whats unique about WHY it's not running on X1 yet exactly?

That's a silly response.

The PC version is apparently running just fine. Why isn't this "unique development issue" a problem for PC as well?

Explain this "unique issue" you think is causing the X1 to have problems where as it's perfectly fine on PC?

#22 Posted by DrLostRib (5065 posts) -
@boxrekt said:
@drlostrib said:
@boxrekt said:
@drlostrib said:

lol whats unique about WHY it's not running on X1 yet exactly?

That's a silly response.

The PC version is apparently running just fine. Why isn't this "unique development issue" a problem for PC as well?

Explain this "unique issue" you think is causing the X1 to have problems where as it's perfectly fine on PC?

it's literally a quote from your post, the 343i team refers to it as a unique issue

#23 Posted by BoxRekt (2024 posts) -
@heirren said:

@boxrekt:

Wait what?

Consoles aren't PC. You tried to use it as an example when mentioning consoles and scaling.

Do you understand the differences between console and PC development? If not you just made a meaningless argument.

#24 Posted by Pedro (35640 posts) -

@drlostrib said:

it's literally a quote from your post, the 343i team refers to it as a unique issue

Poor fellow is drowning in his poor logic, give him a hand. :P
Poor fellow is drowning in his poor logic, give him a hand. :P

#25 Posted by BoxRekt (2024 posts) -
@Pedro said:

I see, explains why it's E3 trailer looked so current gen and underwhelming.

#26 Edited by Pedro (35640 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@Pedro said:

I see, explains why it's E3 trailer looked so current gen and underwhelming.

Oh! Your point got shattered and you have no comeback. SAD

#27 Posted by BoxRekt (2024 posts) -
@fedor said:

@boxrekt: Are you literate?

Is your family?

#28 Posted by MonsieurX (39192 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@fedor said:

Nothing like attacking users when you can't find any relevant argument

#29 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19272 posts) -

OP as usual =

#30 Posted by Fedor (5344 posts) -

@boxrekt: LMAO, I'll take that as a no, no life.

#31 Posted by cainetao11 (36829 posts) -

So what you're suggesting is it is impossible forever more?

#32 Posted by BoxRekt (2024 posts) -
@drlostrib said:
@boxrekt said:
@Archangel3371 said:

And your Point?

...but you haven't answered "why" it's running perfectly fine on PC.

You do realize that this was supposed to go out to xbox and PC at the same time right?

“If everything goes according to plan, we hope to flight Halo: Reach on both Xbox and PC with select players later this month”

https://www.onmsft.com/news/remastered-halo-reach-game-should-ship-to-select-halo-insiders-on-xbox-and-pc-later-this-month

#33 Posted by cainetao11 (36829 posts) -

@boxrekt: Explain this "unique issue" you think is causing the X1 to have problems where as it's perfectly fine on PC?

Do any of us work on the 343i team? Why would any of us be able to Explain an issue 343i says is "unique"? Do you not understand the definition of unique in this context?

#34 Posted by BoxRekt (2024 posts) -
@MonsieurX said:
@boxrekt said:
@fedor said:

Even though you quoted him, being a blind fanboy yourself, you need to aim that BS argument at the person who started that interaction.

@fedor said:

Love how you just gloss over this but yes, you post applies perfectly to this user. Notice you there aren't any other examples you can point to in this thread. Done.

#35 Posted by Archangel3371 (28548 posts) -

@boxrekt: My point is that you have 7 games running multiple engines in the collection. How is this unique issue going to be some widespread problem for other games?

“Bringing the entire progression and customization system into MCC also requires memory to be used to run the additional UE4 engine.”

- This was said in the article articulating the problem.

#36 Edited by MonsieurX (39192 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@MonsieurX said:
@boxrekt said:
@fedor said:

Even though you quoted him, being a blind fanboy yourself, you need to aim that BS argument at the person who started that interaction.

@fedor said:

Love how you just gloss over this but yes, you post applies perfectly to this user. Notice you there aren't any other examples you can point to in this thread. Done.

lol

@boxrekt said:
@fedor said:

When people with working brains realize that Halo Reach isn't even cross gen much less a next gen game, your comment looks even more laughable.

2/10

#37 Posted by Fedor (5344 posts) -

@boxrekt: Lol, you said I had no brain, no life. Don't start shit if you don't want shit.

#38 Edited by BoxRekt (2024 posts) -
@cainetao11 said:

No, of course not.

It's just simple minded to think that it's something viable for next gen game development.

This simply shows that development will be affected for companies who try to mandate forward compatibility for future game development.

PC "could" have NEXT GEN games right now, but they don't! Why? Because they are locked to current gen console development restrictions.

Short sighted people think scaling will solve all development issues with next gen systems, nonsense. They have to rationalize that all game development will stagnate to what these systems are currently doing to believe that.

This one example paints a perfect picture of why this mentality is silly...You don't know what a developer will try to develop for next gen systems.

IF games stay on a small enough scale and DON'T utilize too many next gen features, sure scaling would work just fine, but to expect developers to not use features they have at their disposal is idiocy.

#39 Posted by cainetao11 (36829 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@drlostrib said:
@boxrekt said:
@Archangel3371 said:

And your Point?

You do realize that this was supposed to go out to xbox and PC at the same time right?

“If everything goes according to plan, we hope to flight Halo: Reach on both Xbox and PC with select players later this month”

https://www.onmsft.com/news/remastered-halo-reach-game-should-ship-to-select-halo-insiders-on-xbox-and-pc-later-this-month

Im still not understanding why any of us have to answer why something is running on PC yet the dev team says there is a unique issue for the other version.

DocLostrib doesn't work for 343i and neither do the rest of us. He pointed out that the 343i called it "unique" in response to you questioning him as to what is unique about it FROM YOUR OWN POST.

Lastly, do you understand why the quote said "IF everything goes to plan...…."? Because plans don't always work out. They didn't guarantee both releasing together.

#40 Posted by cainetao11 (36829 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@cainetao11 said:

No, of course not.

It's just simple minded to think that it's something viable for next gen game development.

This simply shows that development will be affected for companies who try to mandate forward compatibility for future game development.

PC "could" have NEXT GEN games right now, but they don't! Why? Because they are locked to current gen console development restrictions.

Short sighted people think scaling will solve all development issues with next gen systems, nonsense. They have to rationalize that all game development will stagnate to what these systems are currently doing to believe that.

This one example paints a perfect picture of why this mentality is silly...You don't know what a developer will try to develop for next gen systems.

IF games stay on a small enough scale and DON'T utilize too many next gen features, sure scaling would work just fine, but to expect developers to not use features they have at their disposal is idiocy.

TL;DR

Dude, they're having an issue. Humans had many issues getting into Orbit around the earth but it was figured out. More often than not people figure shit out. Best thing to do? Wait and see.

#41 Posted by Pedro (35640 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

No, of course not.

This example failed. Your agenda has failed. Your point has been demonstrated to be incorrect. Why do you continue to fight when you are blatantly wrong?

#42 Posted by DrLostRib (5065 posts) -
@boxrekt said:
@drlostrib said:
@boxrekt said:
@Archangel3371 said:

And your Point?

not sure what you found confusing about my previous post

#43 Posted by Pedro (35640 posts) -

@drlostrib said:

not sure what you found confusing about my previous post

It doesn't fit his failed agenda so he is confused by your logical response.

#44 Edited by BoxRekt (2024 posts) -
@Archangel3371 said:

@boxrekt: My point is that you have 7 games running multiple engines in the collection. How is this unique issue going to be some widespread problem for other games?

“Bringing the entire progression and customization system into MCC also requires memory to be used to run the additional UE4 engine.”

- This was said in the article articulating the problem.

And...you still aren't getting it. (neither are any of the other followers who can't come up with their own arguments repeating the same lines...)

You keep talking about "unique issue"...

So why is this running just fine on PC?

ALL of the users who have tried to respond using your incomplete reply have failed to answer this very simple question.

Also, I asked you if you think if 343 were only required to have this game run on the X, do you still think they'd have this issue...and you didn't respond.

#45 Edited by BoxRekt (2024 posts) -
@fedor said:

@boxrekt: Lol, you said I had no brain, no life. Don't start shit if you don't want shit.

Where did I say YOU don't have a working brain? I'll wait for that quote...

And you asked me if I'm literate lol.

#46 Posted by Heirren (2324 posts) -

@boxrekt:

Whats your point? That xbox one is having a difficult time running an up rezzed Halo Reach?

Chalk it up to lazy developers, i guess?

Who cares? Ps3 had issues with multiplatform games last gen unless devs took special care optimizing, no?

#47 Posted by Pedro (35640 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

So why is this running just fine on PC?

That has been addressed already. Unlike the PC version in which each game would be standalone, the one for the Xbox One is attempting to be part of the the MCC which has the burden of handling 11 engines as described in your own post. I am not sure how this simple concept can be made clearer.

I look forward to you ignoring this fact. :)

#48 Posted by BoxRekt (2024 posts) -
@Pedro said:

This example failed. Your agenda has failed. Your point has been demonstrated to be incorrect. Why do you continue to fight when you are blatantly wrong?

You haven't made one solid argument in this entire thread. You screaming I failed over and over don't do anything to prove anything you believe or want to be true.

#49 Posted by Fedor (5344 posts) -

@boxrekt: Do you know what implications are? This thread is a failure.

#50 Posted by Pedro (35640 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@Pedro said:

You haven't made one solid argument in this entire thread. You screaming I failed over and over don't do anything to prove anything you believe or want to be true.

I have made several arguments. You have yet to address them because it goes against your agenda. It was pointed out that MCC has the burden of 11 game engines while the PC version does not because each game is standalone. You made the claim about scalability being a problem when Halo Infinite would be demonstrating scalability and the Switch which runs last gen hardware is running games likes Doom, Wolfenstein, The Witcher 3 etc because of scalability. So, all of your points have been destroyed.

I look forward to your deflection. :)