So what's the next killer app for Xbone?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

Since Titanfall fell drastically short.I guess Major Nelson was the only one who wanted to see it... *chuckles*

Halo 5 or something?

Although apparently a killer app isn't supposed to sell systems or copies... or anything.

SW is so confusing in times of turmoil...

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

I don't see how it fell short to be honest. got a 9 here, was the top selling game in march with 1.5 million if i remember correctly, is the 2nd most streamed game on twitch behind LoL and has an 86 on MC.

With that said, I would wait for E3 but Halo, Quantum Break, Sunset overdrive, Forza Horizon 2 could all be that next killer app

UltronKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 UltronKiller
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

What was the first?

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Douevenlift_bro

@darkangel115 said:

I don't see how it fell short to be honest. got a 9 here, was the top selling game in march with 1.5 million if i remember correctly, is the 2nd most streamed game on twitch behind LoL and has an 86 on MC.

With that said, I would wait for E3 but Halo, Quantum Break, Sunset overdrive, Forza Horizon 2 could all be that next killer app

Not score wise obviously, but commercially... eh

Is Quantum break even a real thing? I wouldn't bet 5 cents on Sunset OD

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

well titanfail was on pc so obviously most people would buy the pc 60 fps version instead of the blurry jaggy mess that the xbone version is, as much as xdrones wanted to act as if it was exclusive (LOL!) in the real world almost no one would buy a xbone to play it.

I guess that was lems last hope, let's continue laughing this year while lems repeat TEH DIRECTX and TEH HALO 5 at every negative xbone has.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I've been wondering that after I got Titanfall and realizing it wasn't my cup of tea.

E3 will hopefully show us the way.

343 is working on their second main Halo game with Halo 5, although I hope it's better than Halo 4 (good but not great).

Brand new studio Black Tusk canned their new IP and are working on GeoW 4.

Franchises that people love, albeit with new developers.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

It hasn't had the first one yet. Titanfall wasn't an exclusive and it didn't stop PS4 from owning the market again.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

how did Titanfall fall drastically short?

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Douevenlift_bro

@Krelian-co said:

well titanfail was on pc so obviously most people would buy the pc 60 fps version instead of the blurry jaggy mess that the xbone version is, as much as xdrones wanted to act as if it was exclusive (LOL!) in the real world almost no one would buy a xbone to play it.

I guess that was lems last hope, let's continue laughing this year while lems repeat TEH DIRECTX and TEH HALO 5 at every negative xbone has.

Exactly. Maybe TF did just as expected... its prob lems that had overblown expectations. *shrug*

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Douevenlift_bro
@lostrib said:

Maybe it didn't realistically right? But for lems expectations of PS4 crushing killer app... well, it did.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Douevenlift_bro said:
@lostrib said:

Maybe it didn't realistically right? But for lems expectations of PS4 crushing killer app... well, it did.

I'm glad I live in reality

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Douevenlift_bro

@lostrib said:

@Douevenlift_bro said:
@lostrib said:

I'm glad I live in reality

As do I. But SW isn't real

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Douevenlift_bro
@FoxbatAlpha said:

Lol the dumb cow is questioning THE ONES line up. Obviously he lives under a rock.

whats the BONES line up?

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Krelian-co

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Lol the dumb cow is questioning THE ONES line up. Obviously he lives under a rock.

indeed because outside the rock you live ps4 is destroying xbone, people actually see which is the best product and which one will deliver the goods.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@darkangel115 said:

er what? second most streamed? what for 2 minutes? it hasnt been in the top 10 since like a week after its launch....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@SolidTy said:

I've been wondering that after I got Titanfall and realizing it wasn't my cup of tea.

343 is working on their second main Halo game with Halo 5, although I hope it's better than Halo 4 (good but not great).

So.. its Gears... Halo.... and Forza again?

oh god -_-

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darkangel115

@Krelian-co said:

The xbox version outsold the PC version 10-1 I don't understand why people try to use their personal preference as a fact

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Krelian-co

@MBirdy88 said:

@darkangel115 said:

er what? second most streamed? what for 2 minutes? it hasnt been in the top 10 since like a week after its launch....

rofl at thinking titanfall can get more channel views than games like dota and lol.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darkangel115
@MBirdy88 said:

@SolidTy said:

oh god -_-

I never understood that argument. same could be said

Sony - its uncharted, god of war, and gran turismo again

Nintendo - Its Donkey Kong, Mario, and zelda again

Of course they will stick to their core franchises as long as they are popular. But they also mix in some new ones. So far for new IPs MS has brought Ryse and Titanfall to the table as well as teased Quantum Break, Sunset overdrive, D4, to name a few. Sony has brought knack, and teased drive club and deep down. I'm not sure where the misconceptions are?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@darkangel115 said:

@Krelian-co said:

The xbox version outsold the PC version 10-1 I don't understand why people try to use their personal preference as a fact

Indeed.... Other than Conterstrike, Battlefield, lesser extent CoD ... and Team Fortress 2. FPS are a old-hat dying trend on PC.... they are saturated... only the greats live on.

Titanfall did not even make it into the top 10 sellers on greenmangaming ... at all.... while Elder Scrolls Online has been on there for months at top.

CoD like shooters are not big on PC anymore.... its all about MMO's, Online-RPGs and MOBAs .... or things like Minecraft/Hearthstone/DayZ/Star Citizen ect.

CoD style FPS is the only REALLY successful online genre on consoles... and got old on PC years ago.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@Douevenlift_bro:

Considering the X1 has sold 5 million to retailers as of this week, what numbers did Titanfall garner on that platform specifically?

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Call of Halo.

f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 f50p90
Member since 2008 • 3767 Posts

"Halo/Gears/Forza is all that is or was or ever will be"

- Carl Sagan via Major Nelson

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#25 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Titanfall fell short?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@darkangel115 said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@SolidTy said:

oh god -_-

Of course they will stick to their core franchises as long as they are popular. But they also mix in some new ones. So far for new IPs MS has brought Ryse and Titanfall to the table as well as teased Quantum Break, Sunset overdrive, D4, to name a few. Sony has brought knack, and teased drive club and deep down. I'm not sure where the misconceptions are?

Because, and this is my opinion and I suppose proven by how those franchises have gone down hill... that Xbox's first party spam is the worst of the three by a large margin in terms of quality...

Halo .... not even by the same people anymore. neither is gears (a franchise that has got worse) and Forza..... while it got a 9 alot less content than its predocessors and horrible microtransactions.

Nintendo games are always mint..... even if they are the same franchise they always push the barrier of their genre further (well most of them) very rarely will a game go backwards in quality like Halo/Gears has.... 2 franchises that have lost a hell of a lot of their influence... gears is nearly redundant.

Sony ... Uncharted is still strong, Last of Us is new, Little Big Planet OOOOOZES potential with 8GB RAM. God of Wars is Sony's gears of war to me ... a quickly becoming redundant franchise that lasted too long and relies mostly on looks.

simply put.... Xbox's franchise spam is an absolute snooze fest. I could go into more detail.... but clearly the last 4-5 years of Xbox360's life is evidence enough that these 3 franchises are not enough.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2030 Posts

There is no killer for X1 now

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#28 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@ultronkiller said:

What was the first?

Forza 5

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@ultronkiller said:

What was the first?

Cold

Ice cold

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Titanfall surpassed my expectations, that game is very very fun. I'm wishing Microsoft gets a backwards comparability thing going as I haven't played any Gears, Halo, Forza and the other games the 360 received at all. This would give me years of solid gaming if it happened.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 darkangel115

@MBirdy88 said:

@darkangel115 said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@SolidTy said:

oh god -_-

Because, and this is my opinion and I suppose proven by how those franchises have gone down hill... that Xbox's first party spam is the worst of the three by a large margin in terms of quality...

Halo .... not even by the same people anymore. neither is gears (a franchise that has got worse) and Forza..... while it got a 9 alot less content than its predocessors and horrible microtransactions.

Nintendo games are always mint..... even if they are the same franchise they always push the barrier of their genre further (well most of them) very rarely will a game go backwards in quality like Halo/Gears has.... 2 franchises that have lost a hell of a lot of their influence... gears is nearly redundant.

Sony ... Uncharted is still strong, Last of Us is new, Little Big Planet OOOOOZES potential with 8GB RAM. God of Wars is Sony's gears of war to me ... a quickly becoming redundant franchise that lasted too long and relies mostly on looks.

simply put.... Xbox's franchise spam is an absolute snooze fest. I could go into more detail.... but clearly the last 4-5 years of Xbox360's life is evidence enough that these 3 franchises are not enough.

I could totally (and respectfully) disagree.

Yes Gears judgement was a let down, but it was clear that epic was done with the game they only did the MP and people can fly did the SP campaign. However gears 3 is a great game and still has a strong online presence. With MS owns 1st party taking it over, its not inconceivable they can make up for the 1 entry to the series that was an average game compared to the 1st 3 all being awesome.

Halo was more a sense of bungie. people hated halo 4 because bungie didn't make it. Then there was the people that didn't like the faster pace of the multiplayer, and of course the people upset over the ending (much like we seen in ME3) but still it was a great game. Me personally i enjoyed halo 4 more then halo 3 but less then 1 and 2. Plus it still sold close to 10 million and still has an online playerbase. I wouldn't say halo is anywhere near going downhill.

Forza was rushed to meet the Xbox one release date. Now personally i don't have it and i don't like racing games. But the game still had over 200 cars and plenty of tracks. and the next one will probably have more due to more time. I do know what forza goes through to make their car and track models and it takes alot of time. and most people still consider it the gold standard of racing games.

Now with Sony Everyone universally agrees that UC3 was not as good as UC2. Now that doens't mean the series is in decline, but it has been well documented. God of War ascension was considered a huge letdown just like gears judgement. So why do people not say that franchise is dead? LBP is a cool concept. Not my type of game, but MS is doing project spark which is a more advanced version of LBP (and another new IP from MS) So why does nobody mention project spark either?

As far as nintendo, well i'm not going to get into that. I don't have a wii U and I've kind of grown out of them and will stick to Sony and MS for now.

In the end, So far this generation, MS has shown more new IPs as well as bringing back their classic big 4 franchises (halo, gears, forza, fable) meanwhile sony gave 1 new IP knack which was a flop, Another killzone which is just a poor series, and not many new IPs shown. Sony has naught dog which has a following of worshippers and will honestly upvote anything they do whether good or bad, but outside of that, their other studios haven't produced much.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts
@MBirdy88 said:

@SolidTy said:

oh god -_-

It worked last gen! (although with diff. devs). :)

Throw in some timed exclusive deals and you got a strategy people seem okay with. Occasionally we also get a Fable, although there's new guys at Lionhead now too when Peter M and his boys flew the roost.

It may not win over new fans, but it is what it is.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Hilarious a cow asking about the XOnes lineup when the best the PS4 has got is Flopfamous LOL

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@ultronkiller said:

What was the first?

Forza 5

Forza has never been a killer app for xbox and getting a 9.0 in the small world of gamespot doesn't change that fact. Forza 5 is a pretty shameful trans gen, micro-transactions, cash grab production.

It sells well enough for a high profile xbox title but it doesn't move any consoles. Being a killer app implies that a game pushes people to buy the console to play that game. GT is still more of a killer app hell Drive Club might end up being more of a killer app than Forza is.

People buy/bought xbox systems to play the next halo or gears. People who want a variety of high quality exclusive games across various genres buy playstation consoles, that is how it is.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#35 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Does the PS4 have an AAA exclusive yet?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Neither system has much of anything to brag about. Xbone has Call of Duty with mechs, PS4 has Infamous, a very pretty but painfully short game that is drastically light on content. On software, they both just flat out suck right now.

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

For Titanfall doubters, (guy that used to think Titanfall was nothing but a COD copy until he played it)

youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktKz44fEqI0

Best game of the year so far.

Loading Video...

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

Hopefully Quantum Break. Remedy's never disappointed before, so I have no reason to believe they'll let me down.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#40 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@darkangel115 said:

Killer apps are games that push consoles. Besides Halo 5, I dont see any of those you mention doing that. If Titanfall couldnt make the X1 surpass the PS4, even for 1 month, I dont believe others will, well besides Halo, and even so, it'll only be for a couple of months.

RitsukoBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RitsukoBlue
Member since 2013 • 28 Posts

@Krelian-co:

@Krelian-co said:

LOL!! HATER!!

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@Vatusus: You are outta your mind if you think Titanfall was gonna be a game to move consoles. It's a new IP that was marketed heavily that's all. They wanted it to move systems but who goes out and invests $500 on a series they have no clue on. Halo 5 is the only killer system selling app X1 has going for it right now. Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive they look cool and interesting.

If I played sales and really really cared, I'd be ashamed if a $500 system out sold the savior that is PS4. But the fact is the X1 is a $500 systems thats sold 5 million already. That's not bad at all.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kinectthedots

@xxyetixx said:

@Vatusus: You are outta your mind if you think Titanfall was gonna be a game to move consoles. It's a new IP that was marketed heavily that's all. They wanted it to move systems but who goes out and invests $500 on a series they have no clue on. Halo 5 is the only killer system selling app X1 has going for it right now. Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive they look cool and interesting.

If I played sales and really really cared, I'd be ashamed if a $500 system out sold the savior that is PS4. But the fact is the X1 is a $500 systems thats sold 5 million already. That's not bad at all.

lol

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#44 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@Douevenlift_bro said:
@lostrib said:

But there has never been a console crushing, killer app. Hence all 3 are still in the business.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By kinectthedots

@cainetao11 said:

@Douevenlift_bro said:
@lostrib said:

But there has never been a console crushing, killer app. Hence all 3 are still in the business.

For lems, and in general, killer apps (titanfall for instance) are supposed to push a systems sales to a new watermark or past the competition for at least a short period of time.

So yes, there have been killer apps that have spurred on sales above the competition for a least short periods of time i.e halo for 360, wii Sports for wii and MGS4 for PS3 ect. So yes indeed Titanfall did fall short. It's wasn't the killer app that xbox fanboys thought would help xbox one equal or surpass PS4 in sales for even one month.

This thread in itself is my back up as evidence of what xbox fans expectations were for Titanfall's killer app status on xbox one so any damage control is pointless...the game fell short.

@kuu2 said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

XBOX ONE: 548,589

PS4: 190,560

Wii U: 17

That is pretty close to what I think for sure.

What is Nintendo going to do?

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lunar1122
Member since 2012 • 784 Posts

@darkangel115 said:

@Krelian-co said:

you do realize that no digital sales are ever recorded when sites report in about how much has titanfall sold or any game for that matter?.. Pc has moved away from physical sales for the most part.. as i dont know what benefit there is to having a hard copy of a pc game. You still need to put your key on origin or steam etc... I highly doubt pc got outsold 10-1 but i wouldnt be shocked if that was indeed true. Only Battlefield 4 we really care about on the pc side for FPS's. Titanfall is my side game alongside hearthstone/dota 2

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#47 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Douevenlift_bro said:
@lostrib said:

For lems, and in general, killer apps (titanfall for instance) are supposed to push a systems sales to a new watermark or past the competition for at least a short period of time.

So yes, there have been killer apps that have spurred on sales above the competition for a least short periods of time i.e halo for 360, wii Sports for wii and MGS4 for PS3 ect. So yes indeed Titanfall did fall short. It's wasn't the killer app that xbox fanboys thought would help xbox one equal or surpass PS4 in sales for even one month.

This thread in itself is my back up as evidence of what xbox fans expectations were for Titanfall's killer app status on xbox one so any damage control is pointless...the game fell short.

@kuu2 said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

XBOX ONE: 548,589

PS4: 190,560

Wii U: 17

That is pretty close to what I think for sure.

What is Nintendo going to do?

Okey dokey. I didn't see this game moving enough X1s to catch or pass ps4 because its on PC and 360. My post you replied to was just me having fun. I am well aware what a killer app is.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

Im pretty excited for Quantum Break. Whats next for PS4?

Indicud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Indicud
Member since 2013 • 745 Posts

The Xbox One doesn't have any games, it's barren for the next 2 years