So wait... Who was second place last gen?

• 140 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChristianGmr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#51 ChristianGmr14
Member since 2014 • 157 Posts

The system you enjoyed less than your favorite?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
@OhSnapitz said:

Yes.. the wii finished in first place with nearly NO software releases the last two years of the cycle. Those aren't bragging rights friend.

..and what 3rd party support did the wii receive exactly?

You wanna argue whether the console was worth it or not? Leave it for another thread. The Wii sold the most. That's a fact. Feel free to make up excuses as to why it's not worth "bragging" about. It sold the most units, which is what this thread is about.

Quite a few multiplats such as Zack and Wiki, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes, Endless Ocean, Monster Hunter, The Conduit, Mad World, Sin and Punishment, Resident Evil Chronicles, The Last Story, Dragon Quest, Tenchu.

That's what I can come up with, and there's many more third party exclusives, multiplats, and franchise spin-offs.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

it was the 360.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@inb4uall said:

@TigerSuperman said:

first HD place.

Lol Pathetic.

Lets not include PC because it's not a console.

Lets not include the wii because it's not HD.

People will do anything to protect their egos.

well we would include pc hardware but how can we count the sales?

wait we are talking about sales here right and not exclusives?

but all that matters is that wii won last gen. case closed

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#55 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1581 Posts

360 won at the beginning, PS3 won at the end

i do believe it was made official that PS3 consoles have sold a lot more than 360 a year before PS4 and X1 was even released or revealed.

PS3 would have won at the beginning if it wasn't so expencive. I do believe there was a decoding thing that the PS3 had which made game makers dislike it. It takes longer to make games on it or something. I remember reading about it after E3 last year, just can't remember what it is. PS4 doesn't have it which makes game makers a lot happier as its easier to use and make games on it like they did with the PS2 and PS1

This gen PS4 is winning at the beginning and depending on how well X1 does later on during the next few years, the X1 might win at the very end when the next gen consoles come out in 8 years from now.

Everyone i know has a PS4 but only a few have an X1 or both, but when it comes to the PS4, everyone i know has one, this was even before Infamous SS was released. SS i hear did a lot better sales for PS4 than TF did for the X1, but i honestly haven't asked around in my game shops if X1 is selling better because of TF. I wouldn't be surprised if X1 isn't doing well with TF considering you can make TF look and run better on a PC, SS however is only on PS4, not PC or X1 so it does give the PS4 an advantage as its only on the one console. If TF was only on X1, then X1 would most likely have done better than SS

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

@lostrib said:

Honestly...who the **** cares

A lot of people...which is really sad.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#57 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

wii won by a landslide,

that race was a nintendo race period w over 200m pieces of hardare-ds wii combined, not even the combination of psp ps3 or 360 could match it

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:

@freedomfreak said:

@OhSnapitz said:

How was GTA V on the Wii? How about the Mass Effect series? Final fantasy? Virtual Fighter? Street Fighter VI? Resident Evil (not rail shooters)? Assassins Creed? Battlefield?

Yea.. lame indeed.

Who the he'll brags about a system that won first and received NO 3rd party support.

A. Wii got third party support, and a lot of great gems in the process. Exclusives, nonetheless.

B. It's obvious TC isn't referring to a system winning because of their software lineup.

Wii outsold both. Cows and lems argued an entire generation over 2nd place. Lame.

Yes.. the wii finished in first place with nearly NO software releases the last two years of the cycle. Those aren't bragging rights friend.

..and what 3rd party support did the wii receive exactly?

That can be say about the xbox 360 as well,Forza,Halo Gears isn't exactly something new or worth bragging about,meanwhile the PS3 was last year the best console for games.

The wii had a ton of 3rd party games,they just shifted when the wii became stale.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#59  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Nintendo was first, Microsoft was second, and Sony was in last place. :(

Wii had no third party support, which explains all the third party games I got. Hell, I got way more third party games than I do first party.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

Nintendo was first, Microsoft was second, and Sony was in last place. :(

Wii had no third party support, which explains all the third party games I got.

pretty much this..

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

I'd say which ever place the systems were in when their new console were released is where they place. All sales after that are just icing on the cake. But all in all who really cares?!?

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

PS3 and Sony for starting the race a year later and catching the 360 in sales. It was MS's race to lose to Sony and they managed to.

So MS gained marketshare, while sony lost a significant marketshare....but MS is the loser?

Yes, it was their's to lose. This gen is Sony's to lose. It's called having a lead and blowing it.

MS has made many mistakes being arrogant with the 360 and with the Xbox One. They have realized it and are now more humbled to not take their gamers and consumers lightly. They have recently stated they have a new mindset where they are putting the gamer first. They have always thought they could just do whatever they wanted to and their consumers would just suck it up. They learned differently.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

PS3 and Sony for starting the race a year later and catching the 360 in sales. It was MS's race to lose to Sony and they managed to.

So MS gained marketshare, while sony lost a significant marketshare....but MS is the loser?

Yes, it was their's to lose. This gen is Sony's to lose. It's called having a lead and blowing it.

Coming from PS2, it was sony's to lose which they did. Xbox only gained last gen, sony lost

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By clr84651

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

Coming from PS2, it was sony's to lose which they did. Xbox only gained last gen, sony lost

Wrong! If Sony lost then Xbox One would also be winning. PS3 came from behind because MS failed to support the 360 with games the last 2.5 years. The X1 is losing because of mistakes MS made. People became more interested in Playstation because MS failed after being successful for many years with the 360. MS lead many to have a bad taste in their mouths about MS.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 lostrib

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

Wrong! If Sony lost then Xbox One would also be winning. PS3 came from behind because MS failed to support the 360 with games the last 2.5 years. The X1 is losing because of mistakes MS made. People became more interested in Playstation because MS failed after being successful for many years with the 360. MS lead many to have a bad taste in their mouths about MS.

so losing market share=winning?

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By clr84651

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

You're not understanding. MS has publicly stated they realized they blew it with the way they have behaved and now have changed and are strategically working on ways to get ahead again. They were ahead, but then lost it due to mistakes. MS had a year longer to sell 360, they also had a $200 cheaper console than PS3 for 3 years and they lost, because they were arrogant buttholes. They know it and have made changes. They were also arrogant about the X1. They now know how smart Sony is for the way they've played it cool and let MS make butts out of themselves.

Yes I call a team with a 25 point lead at the end of the 3rd quarter and lose by a 3 point shot at the end the loser. And that they blew it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 lostrib

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

You're not understanding. MS has publicly stated they realized they blew it with the way they have behaved and now have changed and are strategically working on ways to get ahead again. They were ahead, but then lost it due to mistakes. MS had a year longer to sell 360, they also had a $200 cheaper console than PS3 for 3 years and they lost, because they were arrogant buttholes. They know it and have made changes. They were also arrogant about the X1. They now know how smart Sony is for the way they've played it cool and let MS make butts out of themselves.

Yes I call a team with a 25 point lead at the end of the 3rd quarter and lose by a 3 point shot at the end the loser. And that they blew it.

Except it doesn't seem they have lost. And they gained significantly, while Sony only lost significantly

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

@Nike_Air:

Nope, Wii won. Fact.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

PS3 and Sony for starting the race a year later and catching the 360 in sales

Truly a modern day marvel for future generations to study and see how being driven by the by gamers for gamers mantra pays off. BIG

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By kipsta77
Member since 2012 • 1119 Posts

Xbox 360 won imo. They maintained first place for a longer time.

Edit: With that being said, I think the crown does indeed go the the PS3. I remember 2006, the launch disaster and games. I could have sworn that was it for the PS brand, but boy did they come back.

Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Dilrod
Member since 2003 • 4257 Posts

@kipsta77: xbox was only in first place until a few months after the wii came out. I wish I could find the report, but there was an article that gave vague numbers AFTER the holiday season. It had ps3 numbers around 82 million and 360 numbers around 81.5 million. In the US it wasn't close, the 360 was up by like 15-18 million units.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

It's clear that PS3 was the best console last gen.

Although in the sales game it ended on par with 360.

Anyway, Wii sucked hard even though it won in sales.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#73 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

No way to really tell. The last few sets of official numbers from Sony combined the PS2 and PS3 sales into one number.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#74 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

@kipsta77 said:

Xbox 360 won imo. They maintained first place for a longer time.

Edit: With that being said, I think the crown does indeed go the the PS3. I remember 2006, the launch disaster and games. I could have sworn that was it for the PS brand, but boy did they come back.

The only time that the Xbox 360 was in first place last generation is before the Wii launched.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

going from 70% market share to 30% was a massive loss for sony that the ps3 going in the lead by a couple hundred thousand units can't make up for.

and that is even if you believe the ps3 is in the lead.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 clr84651

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

Except it doesn't seem they have lost. And they gained significantly, while Sony only lost significantly

I have had this conversation several times now. It doesn't mean that MS won because they came close, or gained market share. Winning is determined by worldwide sales of the console. There have been numerous articles stating the fact that the PS3 came back and passed the 360 in worldwide sales.

It's an interesting thing MS fans do where they spin something in their favor despite the facts.

Sony is also winning right now with the PS4. Do you have some way of spnning that into MS winning also?! Worldwide totals of March 22nd 2014 are PS3= 82.63 million & Xbox 360 = 81.12 million.

Very close and the PS3 is ahead still since early 2013.

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

Playstation is by number 6 and 360 is by number 8

http://www.itworld.com/personal-tech/335129/idc-total-ps3-sales-top-xbox-360

PS3 passed the 360 in worldwide sales in January 2013.

Use facts and not some contrived nonsense you think up.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#77 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11265 Posts

Sales:

Wii > PS3 > 360

Games catalog:

PS3 > 360 > Wii

Exclusive library:

PS3 > Wii > 360

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

@clr84651:

Not to mention that something like 60 million of those PS2's sold after the beginning of the 7th gen meaning Sonys marketshare difference wasn't that significant.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#79  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Sony, it came out a year after 360. PS3 has just as many sold as the 360 or more atm. It's going to overtake it, even though it's more expensive

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@summerparadise said:

@Mozelleple112 said:

Sales:

Wii > 360 > PS3

Games catalog:

360> Wii > PS3

Exclusive library:

360 > Wii > PS3

360 outsold PS3. PS3 sold 80 millions, 360 sold 82.9 million.

Games catalog? 360 has most games. Same thing with Exclusives.

Wii had the most games

PC had the most exclusives.

If you exclude PC,PS3 had the most

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#82 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@OhSnapitz:

Why don't you respond to freedomfreak?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By lostrib

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

I have had this conversation several times now. It doesn't mean that MS won because they came close, or gained market share. Winning is determined by worldwide sales of the console. There have been numerous articles stating the fact that the PS3 came back and passed the 360 in worldwide sales.

It's an interesting thing MS fans do where they spin something in their favor despite the facts.

Sony is also winning right now with the PS4. Do you have some way of spnning that into MS winning also?! Worldwide totals of March 22nd 2014 are PS3= 82.63 million & Xbox 360 = 81.12 million.

Lol vgchartz, Lol IDC

Didn't read

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

@Mozelleple112: This is pretty much right. PS3 has maintained about a million unit lead over Xbox 360 for the last year or so. Both systems have had decent libraries, although PS3 definitely had better exclusives. The Wii was the unquestioned sales winner, however it was also the loser when it came to games, being kept afloat pretty much exclusively by Nintendo's own software.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

You wanna argue whether the console was worth it or not? Leave it for another thread. The Wii sold the most. That's a fact. Feel free to make up excuses as to why it's not worth "bragging" about. It sold the most units, which is what this thread is about.

Quite a few multiplats such as Zack and Wiki, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes, Endless Ocean, Monster Hunter, The Conduit, Mad World, Sin and Punishment, Resident Evil Chronicles, The Last Story, Dragon Quest, Tenchu.

That's what I can come up with, and there's many more third party exclusives, multiplats, and franchise spin-offs.

FIrst, Since you want to bring up thread Topics.. The TC asked which console placed second. He never ever mentioned 1st place or the Wii.. fanboys brought that into the topic and it spiraled into something else.

Second, Half (if not most) of the titles you mentioned were released within the first 2-3 yrs of the console's life cycle. That doesn't negate the point I made.

Feel free to dig for more 3rd party titles and stay off Topic friend.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#86 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@happyduds77 said:

I think PS3, I don't know. There is currently no factual evidence that PS3 outsold Xbox 360 or vise versa, other than VGChartz.

But when it comes to game library.

PS3 > Wii > Xbox 360

Vgchartz reportedly moved PS3 sales ahead of the 360 after Microsoft 80 million announcement, and did not back track the sales after Sony announced 80 million a month later. Site gets a worse reputation by the minute.

Oh and those 12 million Splinter Cell Black List copies that never happened. Took them awhile to change those.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 TigerSuperman

@christiangmr14 said:

The system you enjoyed less than your favorite?

But what if I like both?

@Heil68 said:

PS3 and Sony for starting the race a year later and catching the 360 in sales

Truly a modern day marvel for future generations to study and see how being driven by the by gamers for gamers mantra pays off. BIG

You mean that Mantra that did not exist before around 1.5 years ago?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

It's not just about console sales. Subscriptions, game and dlc sales need to be factored in as well. This easily gives MS the edge over Sony.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#89 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

It's a bit like the SNES vs. Sega Mega Drive war all over again... or the Xbox vs. GameCube battle... or something in-between.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 TigerSuperman

@Jag85 said:

It's a bit like the SNES vs. Sega Mega Drive war all over again... or the Xbox vs. GameCube battle... or something in-between.

Only your second example made sense. Only issue is both consoles (themselves) lost money and was not close to the leading party in anyway.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By clr84651

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

Lol vgchartz, Lol IDC

Didn't read

LOL you are a loser that lost this debate! Face it!

You haven't shown any proof the 360 beat the PS3. All you say is some market share gain BS!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 lostrib

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

Lol vgchartz, Lol IDC

Didn't read

You haven't shown any proof the 360 beat the PS3. All you say is some market share gain BS!

you haven't shown any proof either

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@headtriphippie: pc is never first. Ps3 was second

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 lostrib

@xboxdone74 said:

@headtriphippie: pc is never first. Ps3 was second

prove it

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#95  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the PS3's ahead of the X360 by 1 million, and the PS4's ahead of the Xbone by 2 millions.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 lostrib

@Gue1 said:

the PS3's ahead of the X360 by 1 million, and the PS4's ahead of the Xbone by 2 millions.

sources

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By clr84651

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

Lol vgchartz, Lol IDC

Didn't read

LOL! There's no such thing as proof against what your brain has contrived. Classic Lame Lemming Logic and denial of the facts. You say you are a PC gamer while you act like a Lemming. There are many articles on the web stating the PS3 passed the 360 in sales. I've had this discussion with 3 other people, but you are the first to deny it still after proof has been shown.

Use google if your brain can handle it. Type in "PS3 and 360 sales figures" or "PS3 passes 360 in sales". You wont like what you find, because it is factual proof against what you want to believe. Your denial of proof and facts does not make you right. It makes you ignorant.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 TigerSuperman

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

Lol vgchartz, Lol IDC

Didn't read

LOL! There's no such thing as proof against what your brain has contrived. Classic Lame Lemming Logic and denial of the facts. You say you are a PC gamer while you act like a Lemming. There are many articles on the web stating the PS3 passed the 360 in sales. I've had this discussion with 3 other people, but you are the first to deny it still after proof has been shown.

Use google if your brain can handle it. Type in "PS3 and 360 sales figures" or "PS3 passes 360 in sales". You wont like what you find, because it is factual proof against what you want to believe. Your denial of proof and facts does not make you right. It makes you ignorant.

Vg Chartz is not a reliable source.

IDC is an estimation firm.

Where is the proof?

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 clr84651

Up your butt. Google- PS3 passes 360 in sales. I'm sick of showing proof to all you morons, just to have you deny it over and over. You're fans of another system, therefore no proof will change your minds or get you to back off of your BS mindsets.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

@lostrib said:

@clr84651 said:

Is THAT what happened with the Wii? Sony won the 6th gen so the it won the 7th gen? Oh wait, it didn't win, the Wii did. Guess that blows that theory out of the water.

According to you, the reining champion ISN'T the favorite? It's the team that starts 1st? Got it, makes ZERO sense though but what else would we expect.