So, SW, are we in agreement that Overwatch claiming GOTY at the Awards is.....

• 187 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

.......complete BS? I mean, I'm not one to talk, I suppose. I've not even played most of the nominees on the GOTY list (including, if you were wondering, UC4). But come on. Overwatch? Really? It's fun, sure. A good little shooter. Ultimately though it's as shallow as a kiddie pool. Whatever, though. I didn't watch the show. I never have. It just seems this is a bit ridiculous.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

Do you mean that it is shallow in regards to the amount of content or shallow in its core game loop and design?

Edit: Just FYI, I really like the game. It's very fun.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

It's one of the best playing games this year and was easily the best game among the nominees. The bigger joke is Uncharted 4 winning GOTY. Is the story good for what it is? Sure, does that game actually have some dope combat sequences? **** yeah. Does any of that invalidate the large stretches of mindless interactions that game has for the sake of its story? Hell no.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

As long as it's not U4 I'm ok with it.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

Overwatch is amazing and totally deserved GOTY

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Best multiplayer? Yes. Best game of the year? No, f*ck off. Doom, Dark Souls 3, UC4, Xcom 2 all deserve it way more. These fuckers didn't even mention Xcom/Dark Souls 3 once... what a joke.

WallofTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 WallofTruth
Member since 2013 • 3471 Posts

It's a great game, that's for sure, not sure I'd call it GOTY though, especially not next to some of the big single-player giants like Final Fantasy XV.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

I'm fine with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:

.......complete BS? I mean, I'm not one to talk, I suppose. I've not even played most of the nominees on the GOTY list (including, if you were wondering, UC4). But come on. Overwatch? Really? It's fun, sure. A good little shooter. Ultimately though it's as shallow as a kiddie pool. Whatever, though. I didn't watch the show. I never have. It just seems this is a bit ridiculous.

So basically what you're trying to say is UC4 (you are a Sony fan afterall) didn't win so i'm gonna create a thread and have a cry about it.

PS...My personal GOTY is Forza Horizon 3, but you don't see me creating treads and bitching about it.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#10 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

It's the cherry on top of a year that wasn't great anyways.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

Cow whine thread because uncharted 4 lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@i_p_daily said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

So basically what you're trying to say is UC4 (you are a Sony fan afterall) didn't win so i'm gonna create a thread and have a cry about it.

PS...My personal GOTY is Forza Horizon 3, but you don't see me creating treads and bitching about it.

Dude, I've never even played UC4. I've heard it's great, sure. But that's about it. Hell, I haven't played the Nathan Drake Collection yet. The game's been sitting on my shelf for like a year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@jumpaction said:

Do you mean that it is shallow in regards to the amount of content or shallow in its core game loop and design?

Edit: Just FYI, I really like the game. It's very fun.

Oh, I know it's fun. It just seems like, you know, GOTY should go to something with at least an ounce of emotional investment. I'm not into TW3 (just to use an example), but a game like that makes sense for GOTY. Overwatch? Not so much.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

OP when Uncharted 4 lost to a multiplayer game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

Prove to me that four (4) of your braincells can work in unison and I'll engage in a conversation with you.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Ha thats the funniest thing I've seen all year, in no way is Overwatch better than

• Doom
  • Titanfall 2
  • TW Warhammer
  • Fire Emblem Fates
  • Pokemon Sun/Moon
  • FF15
  • Geow 4
  • UC4
  • Dark Souls 3
  • Battlefield 1

Also I find it funny and hilariously bad that Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege and Xenoblade Chronicles X, both games that CAME OUT LAST YEAR showed up for a 2016 goty award...like what the ****, are those people seriously that ***** dumb?......oh oh and love how Pokemon GO got best family game....

This sums up what I think looking at the goty nominations/awards

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dynamitecop

@reduc_ab_ said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

Prove to me that four (4) of your braincells can work in unison and I'll engage in a conversation with you.

The fact that you find a competitive multiplayer shooter to be shallow says it all, there's more intricacy in a game like this than a hundred single player games put together, it's a completely dynamic landscape built entirely from player interaction and metagame.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@dynamitecop said:

OP when Uncharted 4 lost to a multiplayer game.

My vote goes to DOOM for GOTY, my friend (and I'm only partly through the campaign). I think DS3 should've been up in there, too. Please put your little boxes that you like to place people inside of away for the time being, okay?

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FLOPPAGE_50

@reduc_ab_ said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

Clearly you are Butthurt because OW won, what was your game of the year then? TF2? I doubt it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@dynamitecop said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

The fact that you find a competitive multiplayer shooter to be shallow says it all, there's more intricacy in a game like this than a hundred single player games put together, it's a completely dynamic landscape built entirely from player interaction and metagame.

It was not your braincells I was referring to...

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dynamitecop

@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

Regardless, I can answer for others that may not be capable.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#22 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@reduc_ab_:

I've always thought that game of the year should go to a game that anybody would like. Overwatch is a game only tailored to online gamers and fps ones at that. It's literally a cut and paste of Call of Duty, Titanfall multiplayer. At least those games actually tried to be fun for everyone.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FLOPPAGE_50

@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

Lmao, you got no counter to him that's why, silly cow

I love DOOM, but OW was a bigger game with more replayability

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

Clearly you are Butthurt because OW won, what was your game of the year then? TF2? I doubt it.

MY GOTY is DOOM. Or maybe DS3.

And for the record, I'm not sure what TF2 even is.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

I dont play much overwatch... But I think we better get used to twitch/ youtube traffic determining our GOTYs moving forward.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dynamitecop

@killered3 said:

@reduc_ab_:

I've always thought that game of the year should go to a game that anybody would like.

So literally no game could ever be game of the year, logic.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FLOPPAGE_50

@reduc_ab_ said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

OW was better than DOOM/DS3 in terms of replayability, it's well deserved.

Plus why do you care about ONE shitty award show? many sites will do GOTY polls

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:

I can def. agree that it is BS that Overwatch won the GOTY, it´s a ok TF2 clone if you are into that moba/fps game style, but other than it's a shallow FPS shooter that brings nothing new or does anything innovative.

But to be fair Geoff Knightley has always been a co.... and overrated.

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

I think it completely deserves it. Overwatch is by far the biggest gaming phenomenon this year maybe even this gen and is a fun game as well.

I'm just glad Uncharted 4 didn't win. Maybe now that Naughty Dog realizes they're not on top they'll actually make fun games again. The Last of Us 2 needs to be a far bigger improvement than what we got with Uncharted 4.

Even better was Dishonored 2 beating Uncharted 4 for best action/adventure game. It felt like the critical acclaim was getting to Naughty Dog's head.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@dynamitecop said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

Good point. Concerning your original comment, my personal preference is gameplay+story+emotional investment (strong, heady OST, character dev, etc.). Overwatch has some great mechanics, but that's about it. Really good game, just not GOTY material imo.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@FLOPPAGE_50: Xbox never has a game nominated for GOTY so you would not know anything abut being disappointed with the results.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

OW was better than DOOM/DS3 in terms of replayability, it's well deserved.

Plus why do you care about ONE shitty award show? many sites will do GOTY polls

Well, I don't really care too much. As stated, I didn't even watch the show, nor have I ever. I just find it kinda interesting that DS3 was left off the list, and that DOOM didn't WIN.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FLOPPAGE_50

@StrongBlackVine said:

@FLOPPAGE_50: Xbox never has a game nominated for GOTY so you would not know anything abut being disappointed with the results.

You should specify, Xbox in general has won MANY game of the years award, I think you meant the XBONE.

but your attempt to trigger me failed, I still prefer it over the PS4 atm.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jg4xchamp
@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:

Good point. Concerning your original comment, my personal preference is gameplay+story+emotional investment (strong, heady OST, character dev, etc.). Overwatch has some great mechanics, but that's about it. Really good game, just not GOTY imo.

But that's a horrible way of doing an award show. That only a game that tries to be story heavy and goes for the "feels" in a medium of mechanics, when gaming has less in common in with film and more in common with Basketball and Connect 4. As in a game. Depth in this medium isn't just about story, because mechanical depth is totally a thing. For all of The Witcher's achievements in story, it's a pretty shallow video game when it comes to its gameplay. Ditto Uncharted this year.

And in this instance what Overwatch gives up in story, it more than makes up for in its mechanical achievements.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@biack_goku said:

I think it completely deserves it. Overwatch is by far the biggest gaming phenomenon this year maybe even this gen and is a fun game as well.

I'm just glad Uncharted 4 didn't win. Maybe now that Naughty Dog realizes they're not on top they'll actually make fun games again. The Last of Us 2 needs to be a far bigger improvement than what we got with Uncharted 4.

Even better was Dishonored 2 beating Uncharted 4 for best action/adventure game. It felt like the critical acclaim was getting to Naughty Dog's head.

Dishonored is turning into a fantastic series. I've not played UC4, so I can't compare the two. But both Dishonored games are f*cking awesome and well deserving of praise/awards.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@FLOPPAGE_50: Xbox One hasn't had a single nominee and Xbox 360 only had one winner(Gears of War). Overall shit pickings fron Microsoft published games when it comes to critcical acclaim. Forza is basically all that's left.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

I'm not too fussed. If it triggers you so much, you host your own awards show where you can pick your GOTY and be happy in your own little cocoon with the games you felt deserved the awards.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dynamitecop

@reduc_ab_ said:
@biack_goku said:

I've not played UC4,

Should I screen shot this for future arguments, because I have played it...

Another stark example of people blindly defending things they haven't played, incredible..

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50

@StrongBlackVine said:

@FLOPPAGE_50: Xbox One hasn't had a single nominee and Xbox 360 only had one winner.(Gears of War). Overall shit picking fron Microsoft published games when it comes to critcical acclaim. Forza is basically all that's left.

That's cool your initial point was still incorrect, when you stated Xbox.

Why are you tilted that I prefer the xbox?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@dynamitecop said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@biack_goku said:

I've not played UC4,

Another stark example of people blindly defending things they haven't played, incredible..

Um, if you wish, I suppose. I'm not defending UC4 here, though. When I play it I might. We'll see. As stated, my personal GOTY is DOOM, or perhaps DS3.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@FLOPPAGE_50: Because you accused someone of being upset being they are a Sony fan. I guess couldn't possibly just think Overwatch wasn't deserving. I'm gonna be digging deep into Overwatch that weekend, but I don't think it is GOTY quality.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jg4xchamp
@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:

Um, if you wish, I suppose. I'm not defending UC4 here, though. When I play it I might. We'll see. As stated, my personal GOTY is DOOM, or perhaps DS3.

>prefers gameplay+story+characters because that is apparently "depth"
>Doom

Fam, what? And that's not me knocking on Doom, that game is allegedly my type of game, but Overwatch is shallow for being what it is and Doom isn't?

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FLOPPAGE_50

@StrongBlackVine said:

@FLOPPAGE_50: Because you accused someone of being upset being they are a Sony fan.

you've never accused anyone or trolled in system wars?

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#44 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@dynamitecop:

By that logic, sp user friendly games should be safe for game of the year. Multiplayer only games means you're literally cutting everyone else who doesn't care about online gaming. Overwatch is about as fit for game of the year as Donald Trump is for president.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dynamitecop

@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@biack_goku said:

I've not played UC4,

I'm not talking about this, I'm only saying this based upon our previous engagements and I know there have been several surrounding Uncharted 4...

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FLOPPAGE_50

@StrongBlackVine said:

@FLOPPAGE_50: Because you accused someone of being upset being they are a Sony fan. I guess couldn't possibly just think Overwatch wasn't deserving. I'm gonna be digging deep into Overwatch that weekend, but I don't think it is GOTY quality.

imo don't play it alone, it's def a game that requires decent teamwork, and can be a blast with friends.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dynamitecop

@killered3 said:

@dynamitecop:

By that logic, sp user friendly games should be safe for game of the year. Multiplayer only games means you're literally cutting everyone else who doesn't care about online gaming. Overwatch is about as fit for game of the year as Donald Trump is for president.

You're speaking in oxymoron's, a single player only game would facilitate the same results in cutting out a massive sector of the game community, you have no idea what you're rambling on about.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@jg4xchamp said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:

>Doom

Fam, what? And that's not me knocking on Doom, that game is allegedly my type of game, but Overwatch is shallow for being what it is and Doom isn't?

I think DOOM has depth. What of it. Criticize me however you wish. There is more under the surface of the demonic element of that game than you may realize......

....but then again, I spent years upon years delving into the occult. And yes, for as loud and metal as DOOM is, for as superficial as said demonic element may seem, there is considerable substance behind it.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dynamitecop
@jg4xchamp said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@dynamitecop said:

>Doom

Very solid observation.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

It's certainly not my GOTY.