So, Splatoon is Gamespot's Shooter of the Year...

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

In Gamespot's list of of their best games for this year, Splatoon is the highest ranked shooter- it is higher than Halo 5: Guardians and higher than Rainbow Six: Siege (these two were the only other shooters that even made the list- other big name shooters from this year, such as Destiny: The Taken King, Star Wars Battlefront, and Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, failed to even make the list).

This is of course just another award for Nintendo's shooter, which is also the freshest shooter that has been out in years (most notably, it also won the Best Shooter Award at The Game Awards this year).

My question to you- does Splatoon deserve this kind of recognition? Does it deserve all the accolades it is getting?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

A better question for me - why the **** haven't I bought it yet?

Seriously, i've heard great things about this game, which was kinda outta left field as i'd basically heard nothing about it until release.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@charizard1605: considering it was up against BLOPS 3, Destiny, and Battlefront...meh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

To answer my own question: yes, absolutely.

I haven't played a fair few of the games in contention- I haven't played either Siege or Halo, but Splatoon is definitely better than Destiny: The Taken King, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, and Star Wars Battlefront, which I did play. I do not know much about Siege, but general player reception to that game is far more muted than the reception to Splatoon. And then there is Halo. Halo 5, I am sure, is a great game- everything I have seen of the multiplayer, especially, looks incredible. But I imagine the lingering feeling here, that has led to Splatoon sweeping these awards, is that Halo 5 is ultimately just more Halo. Bigger, yes. Improved, yes. Better, yes. More, yes. But still ultimately a variation on a formula that is ow 15 years old.

Splatoon, ultimately, is something completely, thoroughly new- in every sense of the word, it is fresh, something never attempted before in the shooter market. And that is why I at least think that it deserved the win.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@lundy86_4 said:

Seriously, i've heard great things about this game, which was kinda outta left field as i'd basically heard nothing about it until release.

You absolutely should get it- it's a great game, with a stupidly addictive central mechanic and a great, active community. Plus, we're also planning on doing a System Wars party next month some time, if you can get the game by then.

@jcrame10 said:

@charizard1605: considering it was up against BLOPS 3, Destiny, and Battlefront...meh.

And Halo 5.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Poor finalstar,Destiny and CoD lost over this :(

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jcrame10

@charizard1605: its a good game but i dont see why it gets so much credit for innovation. its still a PvP squad-based third person shooter about getting kills, controlling zones or moving the rainmaker or tower (capture the flag pretty much) across the map, it just hides behind that nintendo cartoony flare. ill give them turf wars is pretty different, but its pretty boring after a few matches.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

It's very refreshing to see a non-violent shooter get so much praise... I wish I could play it :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@jcrame10 said:

@charizard1605: its a good game but i dont see why it gets so much credit for innovation. its still a PvP squad-based third person shooter about getting kills, controlling zones or moving the rainmaker or tower (capture the flag pretty much) across the map, it just hides behind that nintendo cartoony flare. ill give them turf wars is pretty different, but its pretty boring after a few matches.

It's really not more of the same. Simply the movement mechanics are completely game changing. Weapons like the Roller and its variations, or how kills work in context of territory control, or yes, Turf Wars (which doesn't get boring at all, really- you should see the depth that mode has now, as players have finally come to learn the weapons and the maps, which still keep being added) give the game a unique kind of depth.

Of course, the game also has a very unique, heavy sense of style, the Nintendo flair, like you said, but that adds to its charm. Charm without substance is nothing however, as Kirby and the Rainbow Curse proved to us- it helps that Splatoon is such an intrinsically strong game at its core. Without meaning to be condescending in any way, I would guess that you have not played the game since a few days after launch, or at least since August- in which case, I heavily encourage you to go back to it and see just how great it is now.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@charizard1605: Awesome. I'm out Boxing Day, so i'll try and grab it. I was always worried about the community dying off fairly quickly, so it's good to hear that it's so popular.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jcrame10

@charizard1605 said:
@jcrame10 said:

It's really not more of the same. Simply the movement mechanics are completely game changing. Weapons like the Roller and its variations, or how kills work in context of territory control, or yes, Turf Wars (which doesn't get boring at all, really- you should see the depth that mode has now, as players have finally come to learn the weapons and the maps, which still keep being added) give the game a unique kind of depth.

Of course, the game also has a very unique, heavy sense of style, the Nintendo flair, like you said, but that adds to its charm. Charm without substance is nothing however, as Kirby and the Rainbow Curse proved to us- it helps that Splatoon is such an intrinsically strong game at its core. Without meaning to be condescending in any way, I would guess that you have not played the game since a few days after launch, or at least since August- in which case, I heavily encourage you to go back to it and see just how great it is now.

i played it with a friend for a few hours last week actually and it doesnt change how i feel. ive played it for quite a long time, im a level 27.

The roller to me is just an OP noob weapon, like a shotgun. Its annoying and I dont see how it adds anything new. They keep adding new weapons orbut theyre always variations or the same as one already released, with a new name and loadout (which wouldnt be necessary if nintendo would just allow custom loadouts), theres still only 4 or 5 main category of weapons in the game.

The 4 hour map rotation lock, reducing the game to just a few maps for majority of your play time is also another thing id knock it for.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@jcrame10 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@jcrame10 said:

i played it with a friend for a few hours last week actually and it doesnt change how i feel. ive played it for quite a long time, im a level 27.

The roller to me is just an OP noob weapon, like a shotgun. Its annoying and I dont see how it adds anything new. They keep adding new weapons orbut theyre always variations or the same as one already released, with a new name and loadout (which wouldnt be necessary if nintendo would just allow custom loadouts), theres still only 4 or 5 main category of weapons in the game.

The 4 hour map rotation lock, reducing the game to just a few maps for majority of your play time is also another thing id knock it for.

That's fair, then, I won't contest your opinion.

As for the roller, it's actually not OP at all- given that it has a very short range, and given that it has minimal pathfinding capabilities, and also given that it is almost entirely useless on vertical maps, with verticality being a major component in so many maps, I think it's well balanced.

I do agree that Splatoon should allow custom loadouts (and on that note, let us change our loadouts without having to quit all the way to the lobby). I also agree that the map rotation is dumb- at least have it be random instead of locked into a fixed schedule, or have maps be playlist specific.

So I agree with a lot of the criticisms of the game, don't get me wrong- but I really enjoy the core game enough (as do a whole lot of others, apparently!) to ignore them.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jcrame10

@charizard1605 said:
@jcrame10 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@jcrame10 said:

That's fair, then, I won't contest your opinion.

As for the roller, it's actually not OP at all- given that it has a very short range, and given that it has minimal pathfinding capabilities, and also given that it is almost entirely useless on vertical maps, with verticality being a major component in so many maps, I think it's well balanced.

I do agree that Splatoon should allow custom loadouts (and on that note, let us change our loadouts without having to quit all the way to the lobby). I also agree that the map rotation is dumb- at least have it be random instead of locked into a fixed schedule, or have maps be playlist specific.

So I agree with a lot of the criticisms of the game, don't get me wrong- but I really enjoy the core game enough (as do a whole lot of others, apparently!) to ignore them.

i like it too and think its a fun game, i play it often, i just think its funny when people say its the second coming of the shooter genre and so innovative.

Rollers ARE op on the maps theyre good for (ala not vertical maps). last time i checked the splash range with it is ridiculous still and a one shot kill, was hoping for a nerf that never came. or just dont let them jump when they have it lol.

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

Considering it's competition that is not really a big achievement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@jcrame10: Jumping with rollers definitely breaks the game lol. Thankfully (or not...?) most people are too dumb to actually ever do it. I'm not sure on whether a roller splash is one shot or not, but I think it is (I distinctly remember that being pretty frustrating in the last SplatFest, so I think you are right).

Hopefully they can balance it out eventually (it's at least an improvement over how stupidly OP it was around launch, the meter would fill up in no time). If not, this was Nintendo's first jab- I'm hoping a potential sequel on the NX lets them go all out, really.

But yeah, it's fun and fresh. I don't know if it's the second coming, but it plays different enough from everything else in the genre that it keeps you hooked.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

well no shit, GS staff sucks at shooters for the most part and splatoon is perfect for people who aren't good at shooters. highly competitive shooters like halo 5 and rainbow six had no chance.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@MonsieurX:

I find it awesome how splatoon beat out a lot of big name shooters this year. The two biggest shooters of the year failed to even be mentioned on most gaming website GOTY lists.

I love both Splatoon and Halo 5 even though both games are nowhere near amazing. I just wish splatoon was less laggy for me at times.Some maps like blackbelly skatepark are unplayable for me usually.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

It won Best Third Person Shooter over at Gametrailers. Its well deserved, Nintendo hit homeruns with Splatoon, Yoshi Woolly World , Super Mario Maker and Xenoblade X. Such an awesome year.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Only unique AAA shooter to come out so... yeah.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I have no interest in this game, not enough to spend $60 there are other games more deserving of my money. I tried getting it Black Friday for $25 no luck. Not going to bother hunting down a value sale anymore. Does look interesting, just not $60 worth of intetesting.

And, this year had some quality shooters. Zombie Army Trilogy. State of Decay. Rise of the Tomb Raider, Halo 5. Battlefront despite what people say is fun to play. Starting to even get hooked on Battlefield Hardline. Gears of War Ultimate. Fallout 4. Pretty satisfied with shooters this year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@mesome713: Yeah, it deserves all its accolades.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45095 Posts

The people at Gamespot are very much casuals.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidGame_basic said:

At Gamespot and everywhere else, right? Since the game seems to be weeping the category everywhere.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

Cool, but it's got no in game communication which as far as I'm concerned is game breaking, so, yeah...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nyadc said:

Cool, but it's got no in game communication which as far as I'm concerned is game breaking, so, yeah...

Of course.

Then again, neither do Rocket League and Battlefront, and they are like among two of the biggest multiplayer games of this year, so I don't think people actually care that much.

That said, I do think Nintendo needs to get voice chat in for the next game, at least on an OS level.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#26 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@lundy86_4 said:

You absolutely should get it- it's a great game, with a stupidly addictive central mechanic and a great, active community. Plus, we're also planning on doing a System Wars party next month some time, if you can get the game by then.

@jcrame10 said:

And Halo 5.

Its so creative cute and fun. I can see it and applaud it. I prefer Halo 5 but this is a special advancement in the shooter.

skullcavity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 skullcavity
Member since 2015 • 153 Posts

I haven't played it, but rewarding innovation is always a good thing.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

@lundy86_4:

The benefit of the rotating maps/ranked modes is it keeps the community alive.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

At Gamespot and everywhere else, right? Since the game seems to be weeping the category everywhere.

Well there does seem to be some crying...

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#30 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Didn't enjoy the beta or concept much but good that the Wii U gets another good game.

Halo 5 is my pick, but that game is excellent, so Splatoon obviously has things going for it.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45095 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Gamespot and everywhere else? Is that all you care about? I play more games than you post on SW. I know what I'm talking about.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@charizard1605 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Gamespot and everywhere else? Is that all you care about? I play more games than you post on SW. I know what I'm talking about.

Well that would be an interesting change of pace

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

They both (Halo 5, Splatoon) seems like alot fun... And I loved Modern Warfare 2.

brn-dn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 brn-dn
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Yet Garden Warfare didn't get any sort of recognition last year. So pathetic.

fugwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fugwit
Member since 2006 • 494 Posts

can't wait for splatwon on NX

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

@brn-dn said:

Yet Garden Warfare didn't get any sort of recognition last year. So pathetic.

Pretty sure most of the people who played enjoyed it and thats the best recognition a game can get.. from the player itself.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

yes it does.

brn-dn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 brn-dn
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

@Opus_Rea-333: It didn't get any recognition from any major gaming websites. It averaged a 7/10 in reviews and that was it. No re-review despite them adding a ton of content to the game and multiple new game modes post-launch FOR FREE.

I hope the sequel will get the respect it deserves, I won't be surprised to see 9's across the board for that game.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

What a sad year for shooters wow. Not sure how can anyone take Splatoon over Halo 5lop. Yes, Halo 5 is better. Hell the free dlc's for BF4 are ten times better than Splatoon...

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Bad year for Shooters. Only Halo 5 and Splatoon saved them this year. Next year and 2017 are looking way better.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm not normally the one to be a Negative Nelly, but it was a shit year for shooters.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I knew that Splatoon would be something special the first time I played the test fire. I preordered it right then and there. The best part was the hype thread where people claimed the game would do badly and fail. Plates of crow were served when it beat the hype. It absolutely deserves shooter of the year, and should have ranked higher in the GS rankings. I think its a easy top 5 game.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#44 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Halo 5 getting snubbed all over the place. But good for Splatoon, in spite of the fact that I still can't wrap my head around why people enjoy it as much as they do.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

I am quite surprised that Splatoon is winning shooter of the year awards from major review outlets, seeing what the game is against. It is also refreshing to see a non-violent shooter winning over violent shooters.

David over Goliath.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Absolutely.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#47 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

The competition wasn't anything to get excited about though.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

I really dislike this game. Yet, i completely understand the appeal of this game. I think it deserves GOTY shooter with Siege being behind it

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

This entire year has been crappy for shooters. I haven't played Splatoon, so I don't know how good it is, but the competition its going up against isn't amazing.

2014 had Advanced Warfare, Wolfenstein, Far Cry 4, and Titanfall. Last year had a lot of shit, but it also had some real gems.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

I have no interest in this game, not enough to spend $60 there are other games more deserving of my money.

And, this year had some quality shooters. Zombie Army Trilogy. State of Decay. Rise of the Tomb Raider, Halo 5. Battlefront despite what people say is fun to play. Starting to even get hooked on Battlefield Hardline. Gears of War Ultimate. Fallout 4. Pretty satisfied with shooters this year.

Yup, I couldn't agree more. I cant even bring myself to rent it.