PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

Remember the Direct Storage 1.1 release back in November with GPU decompression based on a format created by Nvidia. Well now we have results on how much difference does it make and it's not a good look for PS5's SSD. Even the Gen 3 SSDs on using GPU decompression pulls far ahead of PS5's IO through put let alone the Gen4 drives.

Source

Now if only MS gets their sh*t together and finally manages to update Windows to allow by passing the system RAM directly imagine the improvement in throughput. We will probably be looking at 2x of the already high throughput.

Cerny needs to finally release an update to allow the SSD in PS5 to process the triangles if he wants to keep up.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50545 Posts

I have literally never heard of anything you just mentioned.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38712 Posts

Just wait until the full potential of the SSD is unlocked.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

I hope SONY can process the triangles in the future.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts

@pc_rocks: 12tflop > 9tflop (oc to 10.28)

Also the Sony bs is something that's a long running joke. It's as bad as the Nvidia physx and raytracing gimmicks.

The cell, emotion engine, and now the ssd.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

@Chutebox said:

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PC_Rocks
@Chutebox said:

Oh don't worry. You just need to understand that it's time for Cerny to unleash the full potential of PS5 SSD.

@blaznwiipspman1:

Unfortunately for you, all this is made possible because of Nvidia.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@pc_rocks: There is a problem with your assumption that the raw theoretical asset compression and decompression rates of directstorage actually leads to real tangible performance or quality of the games over similar spec'ed hardware.

Directstorage gains on Xbox and PC are not free. The gpu has to allocate a specific amount of processors to queue a long list of the asset data to get the maximum throughput with directstorage requiring sufficient number of read requests, to keep the pipeline fully saturated for maximum decompression rates. This is needed to reduce the CPU overhead saving its resources for other tasks, hence eats into some the gpu's processing resources.

Now the thing that PS5 has over Xbox or PC of similar power, is that its custom I/O setup has dedicated memory and processors that does the work before its even sent to the CPU/GPU for decompression. Not even requiring PS5's gpu to even give up its resources to queue and decompress that data. The thing about PS5 decompression tools and I/O hardware is able to do upto 18gb/s which is more than enough to handle the 8-12gb vram it typically allocates from its shared pool.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

Well, the upcoming Forspoken is one of the first big games to adopt the Direct Storage 1.1, and I can't wait to see what DF has to say about it compared to the PS5 version.

Although, if the PS5 version turns out to be as good or better, OP will probably come up with a conspiracy theory that Square Enix failed to optimize the PC version, haha.

Edit: Forspoken devs introduced the use of Microsoft's Direct Storage techology at GDC 2022, but after pointed out by PC_Rocks, I realized that they did not state whether it would be 1.1 at launch.

• Forspoken Devs Demonstrate First DirectStorage Implementation and Several AMD Features
KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3386 Posts

Lmao, but can it process triangles? NO!

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts

That table in the TCs link had me confused for a sec. It looks like the top row is squirrely.

Going to be interesting to see what difference, if any, this makes in Forspoken (the only game to actually use it so far). What difference would a HDD make vs a SATA SSD and so on. I wonder if Sony will also port over R&C now that this is up and running.

Then there is the extra load on the GPU to consider. Not an issue for full on loading screens of course but what happens when devs want to load stuff in the background (Say an elder scrolls 6 where the player is walking around the map). I don't know if Forspoken is using it to that extent or if it's just for the initial load and when the player quick travels.

If nothing else: Forspoken should at least generate some good Gamers Nexus/Hardware Unboxed/Digital Foundry videos.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10604 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

Remember the Direct Storage 1.1 release back in November with GPU decompression based on a format created by Nvidia. Well now we have results on how much difference does it make and it's not a good look for PS5's SSD. Even the Gen 3 SSDs on using GPU decompression pulls far ahead of PS5's IO through put let alone the Gen4 drives.

Source

Now if only MS gets their sh*t together and finally manages to update Windows to allow by passing the system RAM directly imagine the improvement in throughput. We will probably be looking at 2x of the already high throughput.

Cerny needs to finally release an update to allow the SSD in PS5 to process the triangles if he wants to keep up.

Ok we get it! The ps5 super ssd was a smoke n mirrors show. I haven’t came across many (if any) Sony fan still clamoring onto this pre ps5 hype phrase.

Talk about beating a dead horse…

🤦‍♀️

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4362 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

@pc_rocks: There is a problem with your assumption that the raw theoretical asset compression and decompression rates of directstorage actually leads to real tangible performance or quality of the games over similar spec'ed hardware.

Directstorage gains on Xbox and PC are not free. The gpu has to allocate a specific amount of processors to queue a long list of the asset data to get the maximum throughput with directstorage requiring sufficient number of read requests, to keep the pipeline fully saturated for maximum decompression rates. This is needed to reduce the CPU overhead saving its resources for other tasks, hence eats into some the gpu's processing resources.

Now the thing that PS5 has over Xbox or PC of similar power, is that its custom I/O setup has dedicated memory and processors that does the work before its even sent to the CPU/GPU for decompression. Not even requiring PS5's gpu to even give up its resources to queue and decompress that data. The thing about PS5 decompression tools and I/O hardware is able to do upto 18gb/s which is more than enough to handle the 8-12gb vram it typically allocates from its shared pool.

nand flash written has yet to hit 18gb per storage stick.

the most bleeding edge is 12gb by samsung. not out for general consumers.

multi m.2 raid set ups. the fastest with costum chip on card and software is honey bandger. that run a bit over 24 gb a sec on a multi m.2 storage set up.

so that a sony lie.

also the way the ssd/ram cache ssd trick there using. its destroy the nand a lot faster.

be it a hdd or ssd. ram cache on storage leads to sorter life span.

but but sony.

its 825 gb.

only 667.2GB is usable.

so they are account for nand failer doing there storage tricks.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PC_Rocks
@04dcarraher said:

I doubt it's eating into the GPU processing because if the GPU is already stalled to get assets from the system memory and CPU then just by passing it won't really introduce a significant overhead. There will be some but it's far more efficient to use the GPU decompression then the other way. Not sure what's the impact on XBox though however I would imagine just like PS5 they have a fixed function hardware to do just that. The only downside I see with the current GPU decompression is it will gonna require more VRAM because both the compressed and uncompressed assets needs to be in the VRAM.

You're wrong about the PS5 IO throughput. The SSD's speed is 5.5GB/s and with decompression it goes to 9GB/s. The 18GB/s figure is not universal and it only accounts for some specific texture formats that the internet then took it at a face value and ran with it. PC will get the same benefit using the same textures regardless of using CPU or GPU decompression. RAD tools themselves came along and said the same when the cows blew it out of the proportions that PC isn't at a disadvantage because they have much higher CPU resources.

@st_monica said:

Well, the upcoming Forspoken is one of the first big games to adopt the Direct Storage 1.1, and I can't wait to see what DF has to say about it compared to the PS5 version.

Although, if the PS5 version turns out to be as good or better, OP will probably come up with a conspiracy theory that Square Enix failed to optimize the PC version, haha.

Forspoken isn't using GPU decompression or Direct Storage 1.1. They are using the old version with no decompression so it won't see any tangible improvements if at all. Turns out if you know how stuff works then you don't see conspiracies in everything that doesn't align with your biases. Of course, a person who thinks GoW4 has a better combat than DMC 5 and TGA is a credible show, can't understand that. haha.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PC_Rocks
@ermacness said:

Ok we get it! The ps5 super ssd was a smoke n mirrors show. I haven’t came across many (if any) Sony fan still clamoring onto this pre ps5 hype phrase.

🤦‍♀️

Hey bud, I'm jealous because I want what you're smoking.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@04dcarraher said:

Small correction, the theoretical max throughput for the PS5 is up to 22GBs.

Still, no game actually comes anywhere near that and the best that the PS5 has done so far are quick load times in a handful of exclusives, hardly worth all the hype around the SSD and custom IO solution. It's been two years and if DirectStorage is put to good use, that initial advantage that the PS5 had however small will be reduced to almost nothing so meh.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 st_monica

@pc_rocks: Well, as long as Forspoken uses Direct Strage, I bet it's only a matter of time before it is updated to 1.1, if not at launch. You seem to have great faith in DS1.1, but unlike the PS5, which has already proven the excellence of its architecture by demonstrating the same or better performance in multi-platform games as the Xbox Series X despite its lower "teraflops", you are excited about a technology that has not yet been proven in a single real game. It seems typical of PC fanboys who can't understand the difference between its theoretical value and practice, haha

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Juub1990
@pc_rocks said:

Forspoken isn't using GPU decompression or Direct Storage 1.1. They are using the old version with no decompression so it won't see any tangible improvements if at all. Turns out if you know how stuff works then you don't see conspiracies in everything that doesn't align with your biases. Of course, a person who thinks GoW4 has a better combat than DMC 5 and TGA is a credible show, can't understand that. haha.

Huh, they're not even using 1.1? So then it's just the old regular API without GPU decompression. It might make a difference still but not as big as I had anticipated.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 above_average
Member since 2021 • 1566 Posts

The coping is real. MS die hard fans are still going on about specs going in the 3rd year of the current generation? lol geez

I thought we were done with theoretical, number, spread sheet BS from you tech rejects? Weren't you guys the same gullible misfits who trusted and boasted about MS's 25Tera flops of RT power for Xbox Series X that no one has ever seen? Yeah, you are!

We can talk about companies over hyping their products to promote sales, but there's a difference between over hype and straight lies.

Regardless of any narratives, Sony has as at least demonstrated proof of concept

As far as MS claims of 25Tflops of RT power for Xbox Series X?

Where is it? Haven't seen proof of anything close since launch. If anything, PS5 has proven to produce the more impressive and consistent RT achievements in actual games.

So, If you actually think a SOFTWARE solution that eats resources is going to outperform a hardware based one that doesn't because MICROSOFT told you, then you're just a delusional fanboy.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46198 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@pc_rocks said:

Huh, they're not even using 1.1? So then it's just the old regular API without GPU decompression. It might make a difference still but not as big as I had anticipated.

Maybe 1.1 will have more use for games in future?

Seems to me like Forspoken already loads fast and then there was Ghost of Tsushima which loaded in a matter of seconds on a slow 5400RPM on PS4.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 above_average

And I really hope people aren't looking for Forspoken to "prove" anything?

There were the same guys who said they were going to produce the best looking open world game of the generation and the shit was scratching my eyes just looking at the screen the graphics were so rough on the demo.

Game looks like a PS4 title in every aspect with PS4 assets and all on a old engine just brute forced to run higher frames on PS5. I could even say that Final Fantasy 15 looks better than this mess.

Totally let down by demo, this is NOT a "real" PS5 game like Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart or Demon's Souls Remake so I doubt much of PS5's actual capability is really being utilized other than GPU grunt.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#22 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

@above_average: What the hell are you talking about?

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ermacness

@pc_rocks said:
@ermacness said:

🤦‍♀️

Well if I’m on something, show me a recent post where a fan was honestly clamoring onto this hype phrase still.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pedro

@ermacness: Just look at Gifford.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44031 Posts

All those triangles man, it's freaking me out. lol :P

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By above_average

@Pedro said:

@above_average: What the hell are you talking about?

Microsoft: Xbox Series X Performance Is 25+ TFLOPs when Ray Tracing; I/O Rate Equal to 13 Zen 2 Cores

• Mar 16, 2020 02:25 PM EDT

Today is the big Xbox Series X day, as Microsoft decided to lift the curtain on the next-generation console's full system specifications.

On paper, it already looks like an incredibly powerful game machine. However, real-world performance is even higher than that thanks to the tight hardware-software integration and optimization done by Microsoft.

For instance, Xbox system architect Andrew Goossen revealed to Eurogamer's Digital Foundry that the regular 12 TFLOPs figure for Xbox Series X effectively bumps to over 25+ TFLOPs when doing raytracing operations.

Without hardware acceleration, this work could have been done in the shaders but would have consumed over 13 TFLOPs alone. For the Xbox Series X, this work is offloaded onto dedicated hardware and the shader can continue to run in parallel with full performance. In other words, Series X can effectively tap the equivalent of well over 25 TFLOPs of performance while ray tracing.

Xbox Series X goes even further than the PC standard in offering more power and flexibility to developers.In grand console tradition, we also support direct to the metal programming including support for offline BVH construction and optimisation. With these building blocks, we expect ray tracing to be an area of incredible visuals and great innovation by developers over the course of the console's lifetime.

The Xbox Series X is also 'overperforming' in terms of IO rate thanks to the brand new DirectX extension, DirectStorage. According to Goossen, it would take a PC with 13 Zen 2 cores to match the full IO rate of the new console.

https://wccftech.com/microsoft-xbox-series-x-performance-is-25-tflops-when-ray-tracing-io-rate-equal-to-13-zen-2-cores/

You're one of the biggest MS spokesman and marketing BS boasters on this entire board, don't play dumb.

Funny thing is MS was boasting about Direct Storage in the same article.

Xbox/MS fanboys want to sweep this bit of total marketing BS and lies from MS under the rug but the internet is forever. Can't believe the amount of BS some of you goofs will try to push because it aligns with the company you want to support, but here is more unverified spread sheet BS from your trusty Microsoft.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#27 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I'm not sure what TC is talking about, but i love current gen consoles' hardware. SSDs are game changing.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By above_average
@PAL360 said:

I'm not sure what TC is talking about, but i love current gen consoles' hardware. SSDs are game changing.

We're back to spread sheets again because nothing in game has actually managed to fulfill his expectations after all the failed promises of MS til this point.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pedro

@above_average: Here is a challenge for you, point me to me bragging/boasting about the Series X, . I will wait. 🙂

Edit: Apprently you did get the context that you are yapping about Xbox in a thread revolving around a PC and PS5 game.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 above_average

@Pedro said:

@above_average: Here is a challenge for you, point me to me bragging/boasting about the Series X, . I will wait. 🙂

"You're one of the biggest MS spokesman", so what's your next line of deflection sir...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pedro
@above_average said:
@Pedro said:

"You're one of the biggest MS spokesman", so what's your next line of deflection sir...

Deflection? Deflection is you making this thread about Xbox and you editing your comment.😂

@above_average said:

You're one of the biggest MS spokesman and marketing BS boasters on this entire board, don't play dumb.

Besides the fact that I don't talk speak on behalf of MS, please point me to me boasting about them and or Xbox. I will wait.😂

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 above_average

@Pedro said:
@above_average said:
@Pedro said:

Deflection? Deflection is you making this thread about Xbox and you editing your comment.😂

@above_average said:

Besides the fact that I don't talk speak on behalf of MS, please point me to me boasting about them and or Xbox. I will wait.😂

Stop asking me for statements I didn't make dude. Are you slow?

I said what I said, I didn't edit anything. Now you're just lying to have an argument. You asked me what I was talking about as if you don't already know all of MS's marketing talking points for this generation up til this point.

Again you are one of MS's biggest spokesmen on this board. 25Tflops is one of the PR spread sheet talking points they tried to push before this generation started. Again, that LIE came along with the very same Direct Storage proclamation that THIS thread talking about. Are you saying you didn't know abut any of that?

25Tflops of RT power and Direct Storage were in some of the same marketing pushes from MS.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@st_monica said:

Edit: Forspoken devs introduced the use of Microsoft's Direct Storage techology at GDC 2022, but after pointed out by PC_Rocks, I realized that they did not state whether it would be 1.1 at launch.

• Forspoken Devs Demonstrate First DirectStorage Implementation and Several AMD Features

Alex Battaglia from DF said yesterday on twitter it did not use Direct Storage 1.1 but 1.0 (yes he did a typo on the game name)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pedro
@above_average said:

Stop asking me for statements I didn't make dude. Are you slow?

I said what I said, I didn't edit anything. Now you're just lying to have an argument. You asked me what I was talking about as if you don't already know all of MS's marketing talking points for this generation up til this point.

Again you are one of MS's biggest spokesmen on this board. 25Tflops is one of the PR spread sheet talking points they tried to push before this generation started. Again, that LIE came along with the very same Direct Storage proclamation that THIS thread talking about. Are you saying you didn't know abut any of that?

25Tflops of RT power and Direct Storage were in some of the same marketing pushes from MS.

You are here talking about Xbox and teraflops in a thread about a game ONLY available for PC and PS5.

Not only that, in your desperation, you awarded me the biggest spokesman for MS and I was marketing and boasting about these claims, so provide evidence of such behavior. It is really that simple.

You're one of the biggest MS spokesman andmarketing BS boasters on this entire board,don't play dumb.

Don't play dumb.😊

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro

@regnaston: There are no games that uses Direct Storage, Sampler Feedback and Mesh shaders despite being hyped 2 years ago. I have created two threads on this topic over the past years calling out these missing features of DirectX 12 Ultimate.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ermacness

@Pedro said:

@ermacness: Just look at Gifford.

I haven’t seen him clamor onto the ssd hype recently.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 st_monica

@regnaston: I see. I missed that information.

I believe, however, that 1.1 feature will eventually be applied to Forspoken, unless Square Enix is too lazy or it is technically too demanding. In any case, thanks for the info.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By above_average

@st_monica said:

@regnaston: I see. I missed that information.

I believe, however, that 1.1 feature will eventually be applied to Forspoken, unless Square Enix is too lazy or it is technically too demanding. In any case, thanks for the info.

It's not "Square Enix" per-se, it's specifically the Final Fantasy 15 team...so, yeah

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

@above_average: Why are you letting this thread trigger you?

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PC_Rocks
@st_monica said:

@pc_rocks: Well, as long as Forspoken uses Direct Strage, I bet it's only a matter of time before it is updated to 1.1, if not at launch. You seem to have great faith in DS1.1, but unlike the PS5, which has already proven the excellence of its architecture by demonstrating the same or better performance in multi-platform games as the Xbox Series X despite its lower "teraflops", you are excited about a technology that has not yet been proven in a single real game. It seems typical of PC fanboys who can't understand the difference between its theoretical value and practice, haha

No, it's not just a matter of time but also the matter of money and resources along with advertisement rights. It's not your usual just download the new version of library and recompile. It's fundamentally different thing. They would have to re-package/transform all the assets in new format, test it and then release it so you're easily looking at the patch with pretty much the same download size again. Knowing the game is developed by one of the most technically incompetent devs in the industry I highly doubt they will be willing to do all the work.

Then Forspoken is an AMD sponsored title and knowing AMD's past they usually don't allow competitor's technology in their sponsored titles. Even though DS 1.1 isn't locked to Nvidia but the format and entire thing is provided by Nvidia to MS so naturally AMD will be promoting Nvidia indirectly. Unless MS sponsors the update and put resources to it I see a very slim chance of that happening.

Oh and I don't need to have faith or wait for it to prove it self. The thing is real and has proven it self almost 5 years ago, way before Cerny even knew what he's going to lie about. It's not something new or proprietary that the PS5 came up with or owned by it. News flash, Nvidia demonstrated this and released it to their enterprise customers back in 2018 on Linux. And they would have done the same on PC at the same time but they don't own Windows and are reliant on MS to provide support for such protocols in Windows. The only 'advantage' PS5 has over PC is that Sony controls the certification process and hence can force the devs to use it unlike PC which is an open platform and totally relies on what individual devs are going to support.

Anything else you want to add to prove your ignorance and show how much of a clown you are, Mr. GoW4 has better combat than DMC 5 and TGA is a credible/objective show? haha.

@Juub1990 said:

Well, you can't blame them because 1.1 was just released this December. If anyone is to be blame is MS and their incompetence. I highly doubt we will see any games until 2024 that utilize DS 1.1 at least. Could happen but seems unlikely that devs will switch to a new API mid way when no one is actually complaining about the load times on PC.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PC_Rocks
@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:
@ermacness said:

🤦‍♀️

Well if I’m on something, show me a recent post where a fan was honestly clamoring onto this hype phrase still.

Sure. Exhibit A: look at @st_monica posts in this very thread thinking PS5 has a unique or super advanced or exceptional IO architecture where the rest of the industry is jealous of.

EDIT: Oh and @above_average just above. Thinking R&C is only possible on PS5.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9814 Posts

Someone remind me….who was the fanboy insisting that the ps5 SSD was the only storage device that could render “behind” the character so that when they turned it was already rendered?

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By st_monica
@pc_rocks said:

No, it's not just a matter of time but also the matter of money and resources along with advertisement rights. It's not your usual just download the new version of library and recompile. It's fundamentally different thing. They would have to re-package/transform all the assets in new format, test it and then release it so you're easily looking at the patch with pretty much the same download size again. Knowing the game is developed by one of the most technically incompetent devs in the industry I highly doubt they will be willing to do all the work.

Then Forspoken is an AMD sponsored title and knowing AMD's past they usually don't allow competitor's technology in their sponsored titles. Even though DS 1.1 isn't locked to Nvidia but the format and entire thing is provided by Nvidia to MS so naturally AMD will be promoting Nvidia indirectly. Unless MS sponsors the update and put resources to it I see a very slim chance of that happening.

Oh and I don't need to have faith or wait for it to prove it self. The thing is real and has proven it self almost 5 years ago, way before Cerny even knew the what he's going to lie about. It's not something new or proprietary that the PS5 came up with or owned by it. News flash, Nvidia demonstrated this and released it to their enterprise customers back in 2018 on Linux. And they would have done the same on PC at the same time but they don't own Windows and are reliant on MS to provide support for such protocols in Windows. The only 'advantage' PS5 has over PC is that Sony controls the certification process and hence can force the devs to use it unlike PC which is an open platform and totally relies on what individual devs are going to support.

Anything else you want to add to prove your ignorance and show how much of a clown you are, Mr. GoW4 has better combat than DMC 5 and TGA is a credible/objective show? haha.

First of all, FFXV Royal Edition for current gen consoles and high-end PCs is one of the most graphically and technically polished open world games available today, with many updates and improvements since the original FFXV. A hermit playing shovelware on a Chromebook in a cave like yourself doesn't really seem to know a thing, haha.

No, I said that DS1.1 has not yet demonstrated its performance in any "video game". Even if the transition from DS1.0 to DS1.1 is resource intensive, if it will result in significant performance gains, that would benefit the publisher/developer, and also benefit MS who wants to demonstrate it in a video game. I don't think AMD has the right to prevent it, contrary to what you are assuming, because there is no way Square Enix would sign a deal that doesn't make sense.

I've already said that GoW and DMC5 combat have their own pros and cons, and that it's up to each reviewer to decide which elements they focus on and evaluate, and that TGA's GotY is determined by a vote of over 100 media outlets/influencers, not a system that is determined by arbitrary decisions. No amount of you repeating the same thing will change my conclusion.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Juub1990

@pc_rocks said:

Well, you can't blame them because 1.1 was just released this December. If anyone is to be blame is MS and their incompetence. I highly doubt we will see any games until 2024 that utilize DS 1.1 at least. Could happen but seems unlikely that devs will switch to a new API mid way when no one is actually complaining about the load times on PC.

Yeah, but I had assumed maybe devs had gotten the SDK before us already. And you're right about this. The IO throughput on PC has been a bottleneck for over a decade. Microsoft only decided to get off their asses because the API is also on SX. If they were halfway competent, DirectStorage would have been on PC 10 years ago.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PC_Rocks
@st_monica said:

First of all, FFXV Royal Edition for current gen consoles and high-end PCs is one of the most graphically and technically polished open world games available today, with many updates and improvements since the original FFXV.

Someone actually said this about FFXV. Could some of my fellow hermits please bother to coach him? I don't want to because I never played FFXV nor followed it...I mean ewww. Either way, I do remember it being a sh*tty looking game and even worse controls.

A hermit playing shovelware on a Chromebook in a cave like yourself doesn't really seem to know a thing, haha.

Thank you. I take it as a badge of honor and as a confirmation of your off the chart b*tthurt levels. That's what happens when you talk out of your a$$ with no understanding of things. haha. Oh and I don't play Sony game so I don't know what you mean by shovelware.

No, I said that DS1.1 has not yet demonstrated its performance in any "video game". Even if the transition from DS1.0 to DS1.1 is resource intensive, if it will result in significant performance gains, that would benefit the publisher/developer, and also benefit MS who wants to demonstrate it in a video game.

Again talking out of your a$$ I see. You can put the as many things in quotes/unquotes as you wish to save face but you are just showing your ignorance. Games are not something special that nor they fundamentally change how data flow is affected based on the architecture. That's like saying it's not yet demonstrated whether putting the ML hardware in consoles will actually improve the ML inference. Anything else you want to add to show your ignorance?

I don't think AMD has the right to prevent it, contrary to what you are assuming, because there is no way Square Enix would sign a deal that doesn't make sense.

I'm not assuming anything nor making any claims just debunking your 'assumption' that 1.1 update will definitely happen in a short while. I only had to provide plausible causes why it's not guaranteed based on prior history.

I've already said that GoW and DMC5 combat have their own pros and cons, and that it's up to each reviewer to decide which elements they focus on and evaluate, and that TGA's GotY is determined by a vote of over 100 media outlets/influencers, not a system that is determined by arbitrary decisions. No amount of you repeating the same thing will change my conclusion.

Oh and don't confuse me laughing at you to me trying to change your takes, Mr. GoW4 has better combat than DMC 5 and TGA is a credible/objective show. Oh and just rememberd you're the guy who claimed that consoles pushes the industry forward and AMD relies on them for the advancement of technology.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pedro

@Juub1990 said:
@pc_rocks said:

Yeah, but I had assumed maybe devs had gotten the SDK before us already. And you're right about this. The IO throughput on PC has been a bottleneck for over a decade. Microsoft only decided to get off their asses because the API is also on SX. If they were halfway competent, DirectStorage would have been on PC 10 years ago.

MS has been lagging so far behind with DX12U tech. Two years and NO game uses the technology. You would think with as many resources as they have they would send specialized folks to ensure that the tech is native to the most popular engines but NOPE! Unity or Unity still doesn't have support for Direct Storage. Transitioning to mesh shader and sampler feedback is even further away. This is made worse by the fact that they have two consoles with an install base of 20-25 million that support the features. 🙄

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5859 Posts

More lies from Sony unfolding

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38712 Posts

Why are people laughing at this? Two years is simply not long enough to unlock its full potential. It took them at least 4 years to create futuristic technology that isn't even available inside a pc that cost 10x more, so expect 4-5 years before its full potential is fully unlocked and mastered by game developers.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 st_monica

@pc_rocks:

LOL, so much for the nonsense. In any case, I'll end here by repeating my points because it is a waste of time.

1.Luminous Productions has already demonstrated the ability to adapt to modern technology well enough, including building a game engine from scratch. To say that they are technically incompetent is way off the mark. On the contrary, you should realize that they are rather the early adopters of game production using Direct Strage technology.

2. It's a fact that DS1.1 was created by MS with the primary purpose of making video game processing on PCs (and Xbox Series) more efficient and faster, and that has yet to be demonstrated in any game, no matter how much you twist and turn it.

3. Says the clown who thinks Steam reviews from random guys are more reliable than anything else, haha. Also, don't get me wrong, I personally thought DMC5's combat was deeper and more enjoyable overall, but I can understand the critic's perspective that GoW's combat is more enjoyable from his own criteria. And then there's no way a chip maker like AMD can do R&D on the scale they've done so far without the huge revenues from consoles, just look at their balance sheet for a minute and think about it.