So Metro Exodus is pretty terrible..

#1 Posted by djoffer (1320 posts) -

Just bought the game due to it being on sale on epic store (35 bucks) and played it for a bit... Really hating it so fare, so fare it has just been a ton of cutscenes, clunky control and some terrible stealth sections... Will it get better or should I just refund it before hitting my 2 hours?

#2 Edited by That_Old_Guy (1237 posts) -

As did I.

10 minutes into it and I thought an 8th grader wrote the dialogue.

There’s no subtly. “You’re worrying me...your wife Atrium”. Scruffy older gentlemen walks in “you’re driving your wife crazy...my daughter.”

Oh shit don’t try and weave natural talk into the Frey just come right out and say what’s what, I guess.

Then awkward high fives from not one not two not three, but like 4 friends and an “to far to actually do it so in the air” high five.

It’s so cringe and I don’t like using that word as it’s overused.

#3 Edited by KungfuKitten (26554 posts) -

Hmm maybe I should play Pillars of Eternity 2 instead. I hear they added a turn based mode that works really well.

Oh wait... Yakuza 0 and Days Gone. Hmm. Hmmmm. I don't want to play on my PS4 right now, and Yakuza 0 may get a summer sale discount.

#4 Posted by Mandzilla (4085 posts) -

Did anyone else hear a ghost?

#5 Posted by djoffer (1320 posts) -

@KungfuKitten said:

Hmm maybe I should play Pillars of Eternity 2 instead. I hear they added a turn based mode that works really well.

If you want a rpg, you could give https://www.gamespot.com/operencia-the-stolen-sun/ a go, its pretty good actually and on sale for 6,5 bucks now on epic store:)

#6 Posted by Juub1990 (8503 posts) -

@that_old_guy: Maybe that’s the way Russians talk?

#7 Edited by KungfuKitten (26554 posts) -

@djoffer said:
@KungfuKitten said:

If you want a rpg, you could give https://www.gamespot.com/operencia-the-stolen-sun/ a go, its pretty good actually and on sale for 6,5 bucks now on epic store:)

Thanks. I like getting recommendations. It's also part of the MS Game Pass if people have that.

#8 Posted by lamprey263 (36114 posts) -

I wouldn't say terrible, but yes, disappointing, easily worst Metro game. But if it's early, it will get better. I think the open world thing was a mistake, they should have designed a more linear experience.

#9 Posted by Sushiglutton (7211 posts) -

You should have listened to Ghost, he tried to warn you about it.

#10 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9809 posts) -

No its not. its beginning is underwelmingly but then it become much better later especially when you reach volga.

imo its easily best game of 2019 so far. and it will be only beaten by Doom Eternal. Excellent story, characters, atmosphere, level design. what else anyone ask for in single player game.

#11 Posted by Fedor (4953 posts) -

It really was an underwhelming game. It gets better, but not much better.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#12 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (13625 posts) -

Can't wait to see ghosts4ever's reaction when someone makes the same thread on Doom eternal. Lol

#13 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9809 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Can't wait to see ghosts4ever's reaction when someone makes the same thread on Doom eternal. Lol

every good game has haters. so i wont be surprise even if Doom Eternal will have hater.

it looks more complete and finish to release today than Cyberpunk.

#14 Posted by Macutchi (6748 posts) -

yeah i've noticed that there's been very little praise for the game on here, other than from ghosts4ever who makes his mind up years in advance of whether a game will be good or not. partly why i haven't been tempted to take the plunge with it, the other reason being i don't particularly rate either of the two previous metro games

#15 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31020 posts) -

One of the best games of the year so far. I've enjoyed my time playing it tremendously.

Have I told you it looks amazing? O_O

#16 Posted by uninspiredcup (33389 posts) -

Not touching it till it's on Steam and at a reasonable price.

#17 Posted by robert_sparkes (3020 posts) -

Haven't played exodus but the previous 2 felt very slow for a fps. Not sure it's for me.

#18 Posted by Epak_ (10662 posts) -

Really enjoyed it, looks great, especially in HDR and the gameplay was solid.

#19 Posted by AcidTango (1671 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Not touching it till it's on Steam and at a reasonable price.

That makes two of us.

#20 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18875 posts) -

Whilst it's by no means terrible, I was alittle underwhelmed by it. It was just ok. I much preferred the first games.

#21 Posted by phbz (4434 posts) -

@djoffer: The opening is beyond mediocre, the beginning of the open world is lame too but once it really opens up I loved it.

#22 Posted by rzxv04 (686 posts) -

The worst fps control I've played this gen but I still liked it due to the atmosphere.

#23 Edited by Litchie (23886 posts) -

I figured. The first two were way too cinematic and CoD-like. Too bad they went with the same crap. It's a 5-10 dollar game, like the other two. Gonna wait for Steam release and a huge pricedrop on top of that.

#24 Edited by That_Old_Guy (1237 posts) -

@Juub1990: or perhaps the writing is just....bad.

I fail to think that Russians talk in a way that an 8th grader would write a short story.

#25 Posted by MirkoS77 (14140 posts) -

Stalker destroys it.

#26 Posted by Lucianu (10347 posts) -
@Litchie said:

I figured. The first two were way too cinematic and CoD-like. Too bad they went with the same crap. It's a 5-10 dollar game, like the other two. Gonna wait for Steam release and a huge pricedrop on top of that.

I was pretty hyped up about this game, and i'm sincerely disappointed that the game simply fizzled out like this. Its Epic Store exclusivity basically killed any sort of momentum it could have gained otherwise and sparked an extremely negative word-of-mouth spread.

Game itself is a disappointment as well. It's a good game worth playing, but it's absolutely nothing like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The game's fault lies within its questionable design choices such as the abundant ways in which control is taken away completely from the player, the strong focus on its narrative which isn't good because the high quantity of voice acting sucks ass (and so does the writing in general) and generally the world design which feels unrewarding to explore.

#27 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2379 posts) -

I'm just here for the comments lmao

Avatar image for pinkribbonscars
#28 Posted by PinkRibbonScars (59 posts) -

I uninstalled it at the end of the winter chapter after trying to convince myself it wasn't terrible. Disappointing since I loved 2033 and Last Light despite their flaws.

#29 Posted by Calvincfb (1274 posts) -

Yeah, it's a really bad game.

#30 Posted by BassMan (10200 posts) -

It's a good game, but Metro Last Light is still the best in the series.

#31 Edited by lundy86_4 (53173 posts) -

I was waiting for the Steam release, but i'll probably just grab it in a Steam sale down the road. I installed 2033 and LL again, cos I was itching for some Metro.

#32 Posted by DrLostRib (4894 posts) -

if you actually hate it, don't see much point in trying to force yourself to play through it

#33 Posted by npiet1 (2257 posts) -

@Lucianu said:
@Litchie said:

I was pretty hyped up about this game, and i'm sincerely disappointed that the game simply fizzled out like this. Its Epic Store exclusivity basically killed any sort of momentum it could have gained otherwise and sparked an extremely negative word-of-mouth spread.

Game itself is a disappointment as well. It's a good game worth playing, but it's absolutely nothing like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The game's fault lies within its questionable design choices such as the abundant ways in which control is taken away completely from the player, the strong focus on its narrative which isn't good because the high quantity of voice acting sucks ass (and so does the writing in general) and generally the world design which feels unrewarding to explore.

Pretty much this, The game play is solid but everything else is meh, same problem RAGE 2 had. I'm really starting to miss linear shooters.

#34 Edited by Ghosts4ever (9809 posts) -

@npiet1 said:

Pretty much this, The game play is solid but everything else is meh, same problem RAGE 2 had. I'm really starting to miss linear shooters.

now people understand the importance of linear FPS as they were extremely hated during last gen.

not every linear FPS can be scripted like COD.

so for linear FPS, we have Doom Eternal this year that will craps over every game.

#35 Posted by npiet1 (2257 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: I've never hated linear fps. There was a time where I did prefer open word because it was new and different but I still liked them.

#36 Posted by djoffer (1320 posts) -

Ahh luckily I got a refund today.

#37 Posted by with_teeth26 (9516 posts) -

If you liked 2033 and Last Light, I'm not sure how you could not like Exodus.

probably my favourite game this year still. loved my time with it.

I enjoyed the story though some of the moment to moment dialogue is not so hot

Avatar image for pinkribbonscars
#38 Edited by PinkRibbonScars (59 posts) -

@with_teeth26:

1. I liked 2033 and Last Light because of it's claustrophobic underground environments. There's still nothing else like it. Exodus feels a Far Cry mod.

2. 2033 and Last Lights AI kind of work (on PC at least), leading to satisfying stealth and tense firefights. Exodus's AI is braindead, and often times downright broken, leading to either boredom or frustration.

3. 2033 and Last Lights bullet currency mechanic > Exodus's scavenging mechanic

4. The gameplay mechanics Exodus introduce are tedious. That rowboat? Tedious. Cleaning your guns every 5 minutes? Tedious. It's like no one tested the game to see if it was actually fun.

5. 2033 and Last Light had bad writing and terrible voice acting, but the NPCs got straight to the point. Now while NPCs in Exodus have an genuinely impressive amount of dialogue, it's all terrible. Plus the story is laughably bad in Exodus.

Just some of the reasons why I loved 2033 and Last Light while hating Exodus. They basically stripped away everything that made Metro good and unique, and kept all the bad stuff while adding more bad stuff on top

#39 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31020 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:

now people understand the importance of linear FPS as they were extremely hated during last gen.

not every linear FPS can be scripted like COD.

so for linear FPS, we have Doom Eternal this year that will craps over every game.

Games like Crysis and Metro Exodus are still linear shooters.

You are still going from point A to point B, you're just doing it in really big levels.

There are no questgivers, no NPC's to talk to. It's a linear path you are taking.

#40 Edited by dxmcat (2626 posts) -

Got it.

Sidequests = non linear

#41 Posted by cainetao11 (36557 posts) -

@robert_sparkes: yeah they are paced slowly especially to start. I love the first 2 and now own Exodus. Just haven’t had time to start it.

#42 Posted by CTR360 (8696 posts) -

great game

#43 Posted by WickedMuffin (40 posts) -

I' ve been waiting so long for this game...

#44 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9809 posts) -

@pinkribbonscars said:

@with_teeth26:

1. I liked 2033 and Last Light because of it's claustrophobic underground environments. There's still nothing else like it. Exodus feels a Far Cry mod.

2. 2033 and Last Lights AI kind of work (on PC at least), leading to satisfying stealth and tense firefights. Exodus's AI is braindead, and often times downright broken, leading to either boredom or frustration.

3. 2033 and Last Lights bullet currency mechanic > Exodus's scavenging mechanic

4. The gameplay mechanics Exodus introduce are tedious. That rowboat? Tedious. Cleaning your guns every 5 minutes? Tedious. It's like no one tested the game to see if it was actually fun.

5. 2033 and Last Light had bad writing and terrible voice acting, but the NPCs got straight to the point. Now while NPCs in Exodus have an genuinely impressive amount of dialogue, it's all terrible. Plus the story is laughably bad in Exodus.

Just some of the reasons why I loved 2033 and Last Light while hating Exodus. They basically stripped away everything that made Metro good and unique, and kept all the bad stuff while adding more bad stuff on top

you have not completed it and before it become interesting.

the last part, final mission set in dead city is one of the best finale i have played in long time.

Although I also prefer 2033 and last light in some ways but Exodus is still Excellent game.

#45 Posted by djoffer (1320 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: granted I didn’t give it much of a chance, as I just can’t stand FPS who have bad/clunky control(hence why I think doom is great). But how can you say a game is excellent and at the same time acknowledge that only become good in the last part of the game??

Also for a guy who have given The Witcher 3 so much crap about it’s control, how can you seriously defend the terrible terrible control in metro?

#46 Posted by djoffer (1320 posts) -

Lol just got the money back on my bank account, but am still able to play the damn game??? Epic is definitely the best storefront:)

#47 Posted by lhughey (4641 posts) -

I was having fun until I encountered a bug on the train escape that I couldn't get past. I tried loading a save, to no avail. The game was broken for me.