So far so good DS controller and astro playroom impressions.

• 186 results
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33553 Posts

Astro’s Playroom is a brilliant showcase for a brilliant controller

The PlayStation brand is omnipresent in Astro’s Playroom. The Triangle, Circle, Square, and X button symbols litter each area. Elements of PlayStation hardware can make up part of the geometry in surprising ways. Each level focuses on one of the older PlayStation machines. For this cooling station stage, you’ll discover tributes to the PlayStation 3 era. If you ever had any love for any PlayStation, you’ll have a smile on your face the whole time you play Astro’s Playroom.

That’s why this game is the ideal first experience for a new PlayStation 5 owner. It shows what makes their new controller special, and it’s a celebration of the PlayStation consoles that came before this latest machine. Of course, it’s also a fantastic 3D platformer in its own right.

And you’ll see all of that just by playing this first level.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/27/astros-playroom-is-a-brilliant-showcase-for-a-brilliant-controller/

Astro’s Playroom on PS5 might be the best pack-in game since Wii Sports

Don’t write this one off

But even when all of the bells and whistles of the DualSense controller aren’t on display, Astro’s Playroom is still a great platformer that shows off an imaginary world inside your PlayStation 5. The entire game is packed with adorable references to classic PlayStation titles, as reenacted by the crowds of robot spectators. One of the earliest shows a bot with a beard and a massive red tattoo sailing along in a boat with a smaller bot — a clear nod to the latest God of War. There are dozens of these Easter eggs hidden about these levels, providing a real treat for anyone paying close attention.

Without playing it, it’s easy to write off Astro’s Playroom as a silly, ignorable pack-in game, something to fill up your system storage while you wait for the actual games to download. But it turns out that this is one of the best platformers Sony has ever made, matching the charm and fluidity of a Nintendo platformer while also demonstrating the power of this new console. It should be a major launch-day treat for those lucky few who managed to score a PlayStation 5 pre-order.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/10/27/21534993/astros-playroom-ps5-impressions-controller-dualsense-cooling-springs-sony-robot

Apparently Astro is quite nice and the dual sense is killing it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 14413 Posts

@tormentos: I'm surprised at how little enthusiasm the DS5 has had on here - I really do think those features will move the line forward. And lems of all people should agree, since the innovative part of the X1 controller was its trigger feedback (which I love).

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 5005 Posts

Boooooriiiiiing. Rumble is nothing. I'd be way more hyped for a controller if they fund a way to match mouse/keyboard precision. But nope, we're still getting the same 2 analgo sticks controllers like actual advancements do not exist.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2078 Posts

I'd love to get my hands on it.

Some Nintendo lover in youtube said it's much better and not even close to Nintendo's version in its Pro controller.

To be honest though, I don't think I'll miss it when switching platforms. I might notice it but it probably won't be a big deal.

Now if some developer actually ties it so well into gameplay then I might bump it up a tier on how much I like it. Maybe something like Tsushima's hidden items. The vibration on that one doesn't feel that accurate.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 9938 Posts

I can just imagine UFC games where if you land a perfect hit the triggers will be a bit resistant and you need to push it harder as if you really felt feedback you landed a perfect punch. Make it happens EA.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 3377 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@tormentos: I'm surprised at how little enthusiasm the DS5 has had on here - I really do think those features will move the line forward. And lems of all people should agree, since the innovative part of the X1 controller was its trigger feedback (which I love).

How enthused can you expect people to be when it's the same controller layout we've had for twenty-three years, with all the same limitations?

Anyone who thinks this antiquated controller is just perfect for every type of game is delusional. They only think so because the developers design their games around its limitations. They can't imagine games playing differently at this point.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 19681 Posts

@xantufrog: As a lem i don't want to "blow" on my controller, imagine all the spit cows are gonna put on these things lol.

Rumble isn't new and neither is this, i haven't used rumble since back in the N64 days.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 9938 Posts

Also Skill Up just uploaded this astrobot session and preview and they were really amazed at the controller rumble features and feedback. Really cool gimmick that if done right, will be quite more immersive.

Loading Video...

Also they teased some "unexpected" guests so skip the last few mins if you dont want to be spoiled.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 45002 Posts

Getting excited about a controller is a Nintendo fanny thing. I remember the hype behind the Switch HD rumble. Not to entirely discredit the features but most of these features are forgotten rather quickly.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ezekiel43

@hardwenzen said:

Boooooriiiiiing. Rumble is nothing. I'd be way more hyped for a controller if they fund a way to match mouse/keyboard precision. But nope, we're still getting the same 2 analgo sticks controllers like actual advancements do not exist.

Yeah, eight of my ten digits are still unused. My thumbs have to control navigation and camera movement plus ten other buttons, while my index fingers control just two buttons each. It's so wasteful and means I have to use more menus, sub menus, button combinations and such instead of quick actions, while leaving the camera or navigation or using an awkward claw grip (though developers design their games with the expectation that you will use your thumb on the face buttons and D-pad, not your index in a claw grip). Dragging the camera with the limited tilt range of a stick means any kind of aiming will always be slow. I want something new. Most console games aren't as simple to control and navigate as they were twenty-three years ago. They had more auto-aim back then because the developers knew analog sticks were shit.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ezekiel43

@i_p_daily said:

@xantufrog: As a lem i don't want to "blow" on my controller, imagine all the spit cows are gonna put on these things lol.

Rumble isn't new and neither is this, i haven't used rumble since back in the N64 days.

I usually turn off rumble too. Not immersive at all.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 46915 Posts

Man, surprising to see all the people that don't care about rumble. I'm one of them that don't care, but I remember PS3 getting shat on because of no rumble.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 10547 Posts

I usually turn off rumble too but leave it on for steering wheels because it's very immersive. We'll see how this feels. I won't turn off the adaptive triggers though that sounds killer and I can't wait to get my hands on it to try.

If you disable the mic then the in-game events that require it just happen automatically. I'll probably be doing that, but I'm happy the mics are on controllers because a lot of my friends don't use earbuds or have the camera so chatting would be a lot better with this since it's built-in.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6189 Posts

I can't believe we haven't had a proper preview yet

Tbh, all those gaming journalist words are as good as Ur butt wipes anyway so it doesn't matter

netracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 netracing
Member since 2018 • 866 Posts

Seems nearly every site is gushing over the controller which is interesting. It sounds like their implementation of the tech is unlike what has been done previously. Can certainly see it being excellent for shooters and racing games in particular. Doubt they features would be supported for PC otherwise I'd consider replacing my elite v2.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#16 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9243 Posts
Loading Video...

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 14413 Posts

@ezekiel43: how/why do you.think the layout should change? There are only so many ways to position the buttons...

Please tell me you aren't just ranting about the analog position. Because that's subjective and not worth fighting over. I'm talking about the fact that the feedback is so much improved and nobody seems to care. I'm excited about that - the feedback on the Switch is so much more nuanced than the DS4/X1, and the X1 triggers are a huge huge feature for racing fans if nothing else. Combining and further improving these things is great. Nobody needs rumble that just feels like a fish flopping around in their hands any more

As for "perfect" - I certainly never said that. I have yet to see a perfect interface device, but prefer M&K above all for precision and the Steam controller as a substitute - sadly, it lacks features shown here, and a proper d-pad (out of necessity/in order to provide one of its own benefits).

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33553 Posts

@hardwenzen:

IT isnt just rumble lemming, those triggers hace resistance when you press them.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2471 Posts

Seems folks are impressed. It will still depend on if devs care or have time to use it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hardwenzen

@tormentos said:

@hardwenzen:

IT isnt just rumble lemming, those triggers hace resistance when you press them.

Oh, i want to have more friction when pressing buttons. So revolutionary.

Like what? There's a reason cherry mx reds are the most popular on pc. You want your buttons to be pressed as quickly as possible, not apply unwanted force 🤣

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 3486 Posts

The controller is what I am most excited about with the PS5. Typical rumble is very dated. I just hope 3rd party games really take advantage of it. I'm also excited to get rid of loading, but the controller is definitely the aspect I am most excited to get my hands on. pun intended.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 7575 Posts

@hardwenzen: Are you just trolling now...the triggers can be used normally but for some games, say a racing game, they'll offer resistance with braking, perhaps different peddle feel for different cars, etc. Its somethinf that could get really creative in games or a gimmick that gets dropped early on, we'll see.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hardwenzen

@vfighter said:

@hardwenzen: Are you just trolling now...the triggers can be used normally but for some games, say a racing game, they'll offer resistance with braking, perhaps different peddle feel for different cars, etc. Its somethinf that could get really creative in games or a gimmick that gets dropped early on, we'll see.

This is a gimmick. The kind of gimmicks you'd normally see on a Nintendo system.

The controller adds nothing that would improve your precision or comfort. This rumble thingy is as much of a gimmick as the touch pad or the gyro inside DS4. Pointless shit that's just there for marketing purposes. Last time i cared about rumble i think we were in the late N64 era.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ezekiel43

@hardwenzen said:
@vfighter said:

This is a gimmick. The kind of gimmicks you'd normally see on a Nintendo system.

The controller adds nothing that would improve your precision or comfort. This rumble thingy is as much of a gimmick as the touch pad or the gyro inside DS4. Pointless shit that's just there for marketing purposes. Last time i cared about rumble i think we were in the late N64 era.

The funny thing is almost no PS4 games use the touchpad in a meaningful way. So yeah, Sony is the king of gimmicks.

https://www.thegamer.com/ps4-playstation-games-using-touchpad-best-ranked/

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VFighter

@hardwenzen: People keep saying they haven't cared about rumble since the n64, yet when Sony dropped it for the ps3 launch people went nuts...sorry people still like rumble, its engrained into controller design as much as dual analog sticks.

But this isn't rumble and can have a real effect on gameplay, I'm optimistic that it will gain traction and be used in interesting ways.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hardwenzen

@vfighter said:

@hardwenzen: People keep saying they haven't cared about rumble since the n64, yet when Sony dropped it for the ps3 launch people went nuts...sorry people still like rumble, its engrained into controller design as much as dual analog sticks.

But this isn't rumble and can have a real effect on gameplay, I'm optimistic that it will gain traction and be used in interesting ways.

Yea, and those same people still like CoD and Fortnite. Couldn't care less if they care about gimmicks in 2020.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ezekiel43

@vfighter said:

I remember just as many PS3 gamers online downplaying the lack of rumble and saying they don't care for it.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 84 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@vfighter said:

I remember just as many PS3 gamers online downplaying the lack of rumble and saying they don't care for it.

That only because Sony was saying that rumble was so last gen at the time and fan tend to parrot the company narratives.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 3326 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

so you rather have nothing in the controller no rumble no nothing just a plain nes controller.

you really have nothing good to say ever. I hate to live in your world were you hate everything.

you hate the games, the systems, innovations

why are you even a gamer if you don't enjoy it? you just want teraflops nothing else.

you want nothing new at all. its not rumble dumb ass. they even said it in the utube videos. you know the ones that actually played it. they say it feels nothing like rumble.

rumble can't vibrate each section of the controller. even air comes out. even the 3d audio is part of the controller. you don't like the fact when shooting a bow it feels like a bow string?

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ezekiel43

@xantufrog said:

@ezekiel43: how/why do you.think the layout should change? There are only so many ways to position the buttons...

Please tell me you aren't just ranting about the analog position. Because that's subjective and not worth fighting over. I'm talking about the fact that the feedback is so much improved and nobody seems to care. I'm excited about that - the feedback on the Switch is so much more nuanced than the DS4/X1, and the X1 triggers are a huge huge feature for racing fans if nothing else. Combining and further improving these things is great. Nobody needs rumble that just feels like a fish flopping around in their hands any more

As for "perfect" - I certainly never said that. I have yet to see a perfect interface device, but prefer M&K above all for precision and the Steam controller as a substitute - sadly, it lacks features shown here, and a proper d-pad (out of necessity/in order to provide one of its own benefits).

Something flat that actually allows me to use more of my digits and aim with more than one centimeter of movement. A lap pad.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 VFighter

@hardwenzen: Yawn...and your point? Oh nevermind you dont have one like usual.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

Still a dumb thumbstick layout.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hardwenzen

@gifford38 said:
@hardwenzen said:

so you rather have nothing in the controller no rumble no nothing just a plain nes controller.

you really have nothing good to say ever. I hate to live in your world were you hate everything.

why are you even a gamer if you don't enjoy it? you just want teraflops nothing else.

you want nothing new at all. its not rumble dumb ass. they even said it in the utube videos. you know the ones that actually played it. they say it feels nothing like rumble.

rumble can't vibrate each section of the controller. even air comes out. even the 3d audio is part of the controller. you don't like the fact when shooting a bow it feels like a bow string?

wtf are you on about. i don't care about rumble because it adds nothing. the game itself and its performance is what i care about. a gimmick added to a controller, or some waggle from kinect or a mic you spell words into to open doors and whatnot is not immersive to me. Its just stupid shit i don't want to see.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hardwenzen
@vfighter said:

@hardwenzen: Yawn...and your point? Oh nevermind you dont have one like usual.

My point is that people like random trash. So when you tell me that there's still people who like rumble, that's subjective. It is certainly not universal like 60fps. In other words, no sane person would ever deny the advantages of 60fps, but many (me included) will turn off rumble because it does nothing. Seriously, it vibrates your controller... who cares omg.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hardwenzen

@Sevenizz said:

Yea, i don't get Sony for using this shitty layout for so damn long. At least give us the Xbone layout on official controller. I bet you that if they did, they'd sell em so much more that the standard PS layout would be discontinued in a year or less.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gifford38

@hardwenzen said:
@Sevenizz said:

Yea, i don't get Sony for using this shitty layout for so damn long. At least give us the Xbone layout on official controller. I bet you that if they did, they'd sell em so much more that the standard PS layout would be discontinued in a year or less.

they can't it be copying xbox. you know how much heat sony would get to copy xbox controller.

what the point of having the same controller as the other one?

i think there heading in the right direction with of the new shape of the controller. looks much more fitting than the daulshock controller.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11035 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Man, surprising to see all the people that don't care about rumble. I'm one of them that don't care, but I remember PS3 getting shat on because of no rumble.

I think the problem wasn't that the PS3 didn't have rumble when it launched, it was the fact that Sony said rumble is last gen. Then they settled a lawsuit and all of a sudden rumble was great again. Hypocrisy at it's finest

Personally I like the rumble in our controllers and the new PS5 features sound nice.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 15827 Posts

@kingtito said:
@Chutebox said:

I think the problem wasn't that the PS3 didn't have rumble when it launched, it was the fact that Sony said rumble is last gen. Then they settled a lawsuit and all of a sudden rumble was great again. Hypocrisy at it's finest

Personally I like the rumble in our controllers and the new PS5 features sound nice.

Yeah that was after they said it would interfere with the motion controls which was also bs. 2006 Sony was a weird Sony.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 46915 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@kingtito said:
@Chutebox said:

Yeah that was after they said it would interfere with the motion controls which was also bs. 2006 Sony was a weird Sony.

It was both. People were making fun of Sony for not having rumble, and Sony were hypocrites because of the lawsuit.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen

@gifford38 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Sevenizz said:

they can't it be copying xbox. you know how much heat sony would get to copy xbox controller.

what the point of having the same controller as the other one?

i think there heading in the right direction with of the new shape of the controller. looks much more fitting than the daulshock controller.

As much heat as what Nintendo got for using their thumb layout LOL Nobody even noticed.

ITS SO H E A T E D!!!

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 15827 Posts

@Chutebox said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@kingtito said:
@Chutebox said:

It was both. People were making fun of Sony for not having rumble, and Sony were hypocrites because of the lawsuit.

Yeah I agree with that as well.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gym_Lion

@hardwenzen said:
@gifford38 said:
@hardwenzen said:

wtf are you on about. i don't care about rumble because it adds nothing. the game itself and its performance is what i care about. a gimmick added to a controller, or some waggle from kinect or a mic you spell words into to open doors and whatnot is not immersive to me. Its just stupid shit i don't want to see.

I disagree. I think good rumble adds a tactile element that adds to the experience. Braking in Forza MS for instance the trigger will vibrate when the wheel locks or if you go over curb.

Sure I could live without it and see why some might not like it.

Each to their own and all then.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gifford38

@Zero_epyon said:
@Chutebox said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@kingtito said:
@Chutebox said:

Yeah I agree with that as well.

yup now xbox fans omg thats dumb its a gimmick sony fans loving it.

before sony fans didn't need it and xbox fans say haha you don't have rumble

but at least its new type of rumble. im looking forward to the new rumble.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 32845 Posts

It sounds fine. The haptic feedback and adaptive triggers sound like they’ll be very cool but other then that I’m pretty “meh” on the rest of it. Don’t at all care for the layout of the analog sticks they keep using and while it looks like it’ll be more comfortable ergonomically then their previous controllers it still doesn’t look like it’ll be as comfortable as the Xbox One/Series controller.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hardwenzen

@gym_lion said:
@hardwenzen said:
@gifford38 said:
@hardwenzen said:

I disagree. I think good rumble adds a tactile element that adds to the experience. Braking in Forza MS for instance the trigger will vibrate when the wheel locks or if you go over curb.

I mean, i have the ps5 incoming, so i'll see what's up with their rumble. Maybe my opinion will change, but for now, i have never used rumble that felt like it added anything worthwhile to the experience.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11035 Posts

@gifford38: Remove your head from Sony's ass el tormented. It's not a partisan issue, some don't like rumble or think it's a gimmick and that's on both sides.

Before Sony fans didn't need it? Sony and it's fans called it last gen, then Sony settles a lawsuit and it's became all about "next gen" rumble. We, in the real world, call that being hypocrites so you can stop with the fantasy revisionist history of yours.

LetsHaveFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LetsHaveFun
Member since 2020 • 146 Posts

So now rumble is a bad thing??

Xbox fans are losing their minds!!

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 4719 Posts

When PC is winning so much in games, graphics, performance and technology; you get these gimmicks from consolites as some sort of win.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#49 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 45002 Posts

A surge of new accounts. I wonder if this has anything to do with the uncovering of an alt account?🤔

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gym_Lion

@hardwenzen said:
@gym_lion said:
@hardwenzen said:
@gifford38 said:
@hardwenzen said:

I mean, i have the ps5 incoming, so i'll see what's up with their rumble. Maybe my opinion will change, but for now, i have never used rumble that felt like it added anything worthwhile to the experience.

Old rumble just used to feel like you was just holding a massive vibrator. It's a lot more subtle now.