So far (In your opinion) the new gen is. . .

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#1 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

Crazy.

[Note: I am not asking for a battle or a war thread about which system is better. Instead of the simple approach, I would just like to know your full perspective on the bigger picture of all three consoles performance.]

There are barely any games out, PS4 has sold 6 million units sold, Even though Xbox One so far has more exclusives out with the upcoming highly anticipated "Titanfall" soon to be released; there were reports (I have no link Im sorry) stating that EA did not know that X1 was going to be 500.00, and they thought that X1 would've had the upper hand instead of PS4, so it seemed like a great decision to make Titanfall console exclusive to the Xbox One

(personally imo, either way they win since they got a ton of money from the deal)

. . . And with almost everyone going back in fourth (for example, Konami's website doing the MGS GZ comparisons) with the "1080p PS4 60 FPS vs 720p X1 30 FPS" ( I am over exaggerating with the numbers, just getting the point out just to be very clear and honest) comparisons, it's kind of getting hectic. And to summarize it up, the Wii U is doing terrible to the point no one knows of they're going to pull a "SEGA" or realize that this is no longer the 80's-90's and online if a huge factor in gaming now and their numbers comparing to the N64 is falling terribly.

In my opinion. . .

1. I like the Wii U, and they really have the most exclusives out of both PS4 and X1 and reach out to their fans and of course the younger gamers, they need to step it up.
  2. I applaud the PS4 for selling 6 million units, but I would love to see some games come out. I am looking forward to Infamous 3, and Drive Club. Not to sure about FFXIV since 15.00 a month is wow.. but unfortunately those three titles will be the only Sony console exclusives for awhile other than the indie developers like Outlast and Don't Starve showing support.
  3. Xbox One= Titanfall. I honestly love Mech games and a COD like one with mechs to me is pretty much Mech Warrior going COD style. The only thing I question when it comes to Microsoft getting Titanfall has an exclusive (or timed exclusive), why did they pass up on FF XIV coming to console ? They told Square Enix that in order for it to be on their console they would want exclusive servers for Xbox One. Sounds like a Backwards decision for the company.

Overall, its been a crazy 5-6 months for the three consoles. As a whole, what is your opinion about this current gen ?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

It's young.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@Young_Charter:

To me, this gen is going to be won whoever does virtual reality best, everyone will do virtual reality, sony, ms and the pc. Maybe even nintendo, who knows

The beginning of a new gen is alway pretty boring for gamers, since devs have to get used to the system, and they have to cater the old console too (since a lot of people don't have a new console yet)

Sony has the stronger system, but microsoft has the kinect, allthough it's kinda stupid they push it onto the consumer but when vr comes out, that kinect will play a big part. The pc has the horsepower though, and resolution and framerate will play a big part in the vr departement even more than it does now. Nintendo could do some really nice things here, and there are rumors they working on a new system.

But gaming as we know it know, will be the same as the arcade games we get now. Vr is as big as step as going from 2d to 3d in the nineties.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Very promising but obviously I can only speak for myself. My expectations are rational.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Young_Charter

@evildead6789 said:

@Young_Charter:

To me, this gen is going to be won whoever does virtual reality best, everyone will do virtual reality, sony, ms and the pc. Maybe even nintendo, who knows

The beginning of a new gen is alway pretty boring for gamers, since devs have to get used to the system, and they have to cater the old console too (since a lot of people don't have a new console yet)

Sony has the stronger system, but microsoft has the kinect, allthough it's kinda stupid they push it onto the consumer but when vr comes out, that kinect will play a big part. The pc has the horsepower though, and resolution and framerate will play a big part in the vr departement even more than it does now. Nintendo could do some really nice things here, and there are rumors they working on a new system.

But gaming as we know it know, will be the same as the arcade games we get now. Vr is as big as step as going from 2d to 3d in the nineties.

I agree. This is true. I sometimes think that if microsoft does it first they will have commercial success. But PC, *whew* thats a big boy right there.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I like the new gen, my Xbox One and turtles!

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 XboxStache
Member since 2013 • 1530 Posts

Wii U.

At this point, I couldn't care less about a console than the WiiU. Nintendo's not making an effort at all; and it's third party is like the most watered down version 7th gen remakes. I can't believe Nintendo went from having the SNES and Gamecube to the Wiiu.

Xbox One.

The best offering of the three with games, however, I still feel that it needs that one game to make consumers actually want to buy it. I remember when Gears of War launched and being so happy about having a 360. I remember having Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden Black and Tao feng on the oG Xbox. X1 hasn't gotten it's definitive game yet despite Titanfall. And to make matters worst, they released Fighter Within as a Kinect experience when fighters are best played with controllers. Kinect WILL not reshape gaming as a standalone experience, but as an optional experience, it would do just fine. Still, I can't complain being that I actually have games on the X1 and 360 that get play.

PS4.

Has potential. Sony could revamp PS2 exclusives and literally mop the floor with competition, but instead, they're willing to bank on franchises that didn't sell well and are sticking with them to ensure sells for a console that really doesn't have any game worth playing. When Sony pulls their head out of their asses and bring back games like Jak and Daxter, Shinobi, Mark of Kri, or at least get their hands on some exclusive third party games....then I'd give them their due.

Steambox.

Dumb idea at ridiculous prices.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

@freedomfreak:

Old enough for me.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts
@wolverine4262 said:

Old enough for me.

:mask:

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

Grilled Cheese.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Young_Charter

@XboxStache said:

Wii U.

At this point, I couldn't care less about a console than the WiiU. Nintendo's not making an effort at all; and it's third party is like the most watered down version 7th gen remakes. I can't believe Nintendo went from having the SNES and Gamecube to the Wiiu.

Xbox One.

The best offering of the three with games, however, I still feel that it needs that one game to make consumers actually want to buy it. I remember when Gears of War launched and being so happy about having a 360. I remember having Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden Black and Tao feng on the oG Xbox. X1 hasn't gotten it's definitive game yet despite Titanfall. And to make matters worst, they released Fighter Within as a Kinect experience when fighters are best played with controllers. Kinect WILL not reshape gaming as a standalone experience, but as an optional experience, it would do just fine. Still, I can't complain being that I actually have games on the X1 and 360 that get play.

PS4.

Has potential. Sony could revamp PS2 exclusives and literally mop the floor with competition, but instead, they're willing to bank on franchises that didn't sell well and are sticking with them to ensure sells for a console that really doesn't have any game worth playing. When Sony pulls their head out of their asses and bring back games like Jak and Daxter, Shinobi, Mark of Kri, or at least get their hands on some exclusive third party games....then I'd give them their due.

Steambox.

Dumb idea at ridiculous prices.

The steam box is ridiculously priced.

I hope Sony does bring back more PS2 exclusives. I would love to see many titles come back.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I've been enjoying my Wii U. Super Mario 3D World and Wonderful 101 have been great games. 3DS has been terrific ever since I got it.

Only game on PS4 that interests me so far is Resogun, while on the Xbone the only game that interests me is TitanFall.

Overall this gen so far hasn't been amazing and is overall lacking, but I'm sure it will pick up. have been enjoying Nintendo's offerings for the most part anyways.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Young_Charter
@DJ-Lafleur said:

I've been enjoying my Wii U. Super Mario 3D World and Wonderful 101 have been great games. 3DS has been terrific ever since .

Only game on PS4 that interests me so far is Resogun, while on the Xbone the only game that interests me is TitanFall.

Overall this gen so far hasn't been amazing and is overall lacking, but I'm sure it will pick up. have been enjoying Nintendo's offerings for the most part anyways.

I agree. I believe after summer it will start to pick up.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#14  Edited By Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

My thoughts on PS4 (don't give a shit about the Xbox)...

> The graphics are gorgeous

> The UI is super fast and intuitive

> NEEDS MOAR GAMES

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#15 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49567 Posts

It's uninspiring and boring. No killer apps, high cost of entry = no go. PC gaming will serve me just fine.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

It's young.

^ This x1000 I don't know what people want 4-5 months into the gen, it takes time and we have a lot of time to spend with this gen.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Young_Charter

@Stevo_the_gamer: Yeah Im getting a PC soon...

jetray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 jetray
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts

jetray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jetray
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

So far, I can't say it's been too great. But I knew that going in, when I got my PS4. I just decided to jump in cause I had the money and I'm assuming great games will get here eventually.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

business as usual

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Young_Charter

@Thefatness16 said:

So far, I can't say it's been too great. But I knew that going in, when I got my PS4. I just decided to jump in cause I had the money and I'm assuming great games will get here eventually.

Same here. I went in with that same mentality.

GameMediator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 GameMediator
Member since 2014 • 75 Posts

Cow: This gen is about resolutions, framerates, and sales... that's what makes a console superior to others.

Gamer with a brain: Its about innovating and delivering new experiences by utilizing NEW technologically advanced hardware. Something the PS4 doesn't but the Wii U and X1 do. PS4 is just an updated PS3, its nothing new at all and won't contribute to anything to future gaming.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

This new gen is the least interesting one I've ever witnessed (as far as consoles go).

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Pretty boring so far. Same old, same old

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lostrib

@gamemediator said:

Cow: This gen is about resolutions, framerates, and sales... that's what makes a console superior to others.

Gamer with a brain: Its about innovating and delivering new experiences by utilizing NEW technologically advanced hardware. Something the PS4 doesn't but the Wii U and X1 do. PS4 is just an updated PS3, its nothing new at all and won't contribute to anything to future gaming.

awww, someone's upset there console is sucking

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

It's meh.

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

it really hasn't even begun yet.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Simply lacking, nothing has blown me away so far and I've played all the big hitters for both systems. No game yet has been truly enjoyable to play either. I guess last gen spoilt me, but I'll be waiting until they drop support for the PS3/360 and strictly develop for next-gen systems, that's when we'll be impressed me thinks.

GameMediator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GameMediator
Member since 2014 • 75 Posts

@lostrib said:

@gamemediator said:

do you ever post anything worth reading? All I ever see you post is stupid remarks to other peoples replies. and you have over 23000 posts! lol.... why don't u tell me why the X1 is sucking? ELABORATE! because of sales? becauses of slightly less framerates and reolutions that are so insignificant. please, im enjoying my X1 and Wii U exclusive games way more than your slightly better running multiplatform games lol

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lostrib

@gamemediator said:

@lostrib said:

@gamemediator said:

do you ever post anything worth reading? All I ever see you post is stupid remarks to other peoples replies. and you have over 23000 posts! lol.... why don't u tell me why the X1 is sucking? ELABORATE! because of sales? becauses of slightly less framerates and reolutions that are so insignificant. please, im enjoying my X1 and Wii U exclusive games way more than your slightly better running multiplatform games lol

No idea, but that would really be a matter of opinion. Ask around, let me know what you find

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Young_Charter

@lostrib said:

Is there currently anything you have expectations for ? A new title or update ?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

All Graphics , No Substance.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

Good but both consoles need more games!

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#35 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@gamemediator said:

Oh yes, the X1 is truly the future of gaming, allowing you to watch TV (OMG OMG OMG SO AMAZING), and change channels...using your ACTUAL VOICE (which takes three times as long as simply pressing a button!), and it also allows you to live with the threat of getting screwed by Micro$oft every single day with bait-and-switch!

Yes, the X1 is truly the future of gaming. It simply oozes innovation.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#36 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm very happy with my Xbox One.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#37 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

crappier than last gen launch, which says a lot.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's slow. Wii U has a head start, and it has some nice games, but everyone is waiting for MK and SSB. And even then sales might not pick up much.

PS4 and Xbox One are finally getting heavy hitters in a week or two. It's been slow in the games department for those systems up until now... at least for me.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

still getting started.

The only consoles that have a few interesting game by now are WiiU, 3DS and Vita. So those are the ones I got. The XBone and PS4 still need a lot more games before I'll consider getting them.

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

Thanks for pointing out the obvious that the next gen consoles need games, no shit. They just launched, it takes years to build a quality library.

If you bought one you should have known. That's why you never trade in your old system just to get the newest thing and be bored with it.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

I see it as "Playing it safe" now. But hardware-wise, and future-proof, it seems promising.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#42  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Just like the start of any other gen: Slow but promising.

So far i'm loving it. The fact i can play most games without jaggies hurting my eyes, and a console version of Battlefield with 64 player online, is awesome to me!

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

You really can't say until this time next year imo! Lets see what happens after E3 and games like The Order, Drive Club, Destiny, Watchdogs, Dying Light, The Evil Within, Elder Scrolls Online, MGS GZ, Halo 5, Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive hit retail later this year or early 2015.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

It's weak. None of them are as powerful as they should have been.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

It's not really that different from the previous gen. All looks around the same.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

@gamemediator said:

@lostrib said:

@gamemediator said:

Aww did lostrib troll your troll post?

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#47 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

It just started. Perhaps ask in another year.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lostrib

@Young_Charter said:

@lostrib said:

Is there currently anything you have expectations for ? A new title or update ?

Well titanfall looks cool. I'm waiting for the cross gen (PS3/360/PS4/X1/PC) titles to stop so we can really see how far the games will get pushed. I'd be excited about The Division if we got some more info, and the graphics don't get too harshly downgraded. And probably the game that truely looks next gen would be the Witcher 3

And if we get some info on TLOU and UC4, i might actually consider getting a PS4

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

It's young.

Summed up in first response.... oh. Hai Freedom! I didn't recognise you in that avatar!

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

Its early, but here's my take thus far.

1. Nintendo didn't just under-power the Wii-U, but their online infrastructure will not support the wave of games that are multiplayer centric. Wii-U games look on par with the 360/PS3, and their third party support is terrible outside of B2. The Wii-U tablet controller isn't a selling point, and outside of Zelda and Metroid they just don't have the Western games appealing titles or multiplats to survive. The Wii-U should be replaced within 2 years by a truly next0gen Nintendo console IMHO.

2. There's nothing the PS4 has done thus far that has a been a mistake. They set out to make a simple, powerful gaming system at a good price, and for their fans who wanted that they have served them very well. It may not appeal to me due to its games and lack of features, but as a gaming console if you like Sony titles I think they have a great future ahead.

3. As I said in the Xbox Podcast, if Phil Spencer would have walked onstage at E3, dropped his pants, turned around to the crowd, and literally shit on stage, and then dropped the mike in the shit it would have been a better E3 for MS then what they endured. And for nearly six months after the tons of word vomit exiting the mouths of all who were supposed to be getting the word out was an epic failure of expressing so much promise that I do feel the One has. Rumor mongers like Cboat and Thuway tried to kill it on arrival, but none of there BS happened. Fast forward to today, March 7 - Sony has recently said they crossed the 6 million sales. MS last reported over a month ago around 3.3 million. I'm willing to bet by March 12, day after Titanfall, they will announce sales of 4 million. 2 million behind the PS4, but far from out of the race. The all-in-one gaming concept is one I enjoy daily, and can see the vision as I use the One to navigate TV, Xbox Fitness, Skype, Snap and damn sure will be using it for fantasy football this next season. Game wise securing Titanfall, and having very solid launch titles in Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5, and with Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5, Forza Horizon, Killer Instinct season 2, Gears or War 4, and whatever other surprises MS has in store as Phil Spencer revealed more unannounced exclusives are coming, game wise the One will be served very well for years to come. MS has issues to address for certain, starting with the very much needed $100 worldwide price drop. After they, gotta figure out the 50hz thing for TV's in Europe (I think its addressed in the new update). They gotta launch in the other 19 territories and ensure all features are available at launch. Kinect is hated by some, loved by others. I truly enjoy it, and I don't want a One without it. But MS needs to be honest about what it will truly get from it.

Kinect-centric core games, I feel, will never work. Never. I could be wrong, but I do not think I will be proven so. What will work will be increased updating for Xbox Fitness and making Kinect-centric games family based. That's where the money and interest will be. Adult gamers will likely never embrace motion controls. But children do and Kinect should be centered around that IMHO. Add in Kinect options for Core games, as well as the ability to turn it off if people don't want it. Keep refining Kinect-centric apps like the new Twitch and do that for Netflix/Amazon Prime as well. That's how you continue to build and add value to Kinect. But do not drop it, as you need things that differ you from the PS4. Drop the damn price of the console A.S.A.P.

Baring magic being literally inside the One, or MisterX somehow being right and serving SDF/COWS the most end-of-the-world Biblical plate of crow that has ever been seen in the history of time, the One is simply not as powerful as the PS4 and will struggle behind it all gen long, even as both get better optimization going forward as all console do. MS needs to keep updating those SDK's and getting them in the hands of devs to get the most out of the One. But you're fighting a losing battle power wise, so you need to focus on securing/creating/buying the best games. Stand on that and you'll stand tall, along with again, I stress, drop the damn price. But I am a very happy Xbox One owner and looking forward to the future of the console. No matter where things end up in 6 years I think we'll look back and say it was a damn good success. If the PS3 wasn't dead in the water after 2 years, the One sure as hell isn't after 4 months.

To close, lol, this new gen is only the One and PS4, and I think its off to a great start thus far, and will only get better. I feel innovation is on MS' s side going forward, but that has to manifest itself. Graphics will get better, but this gen will be defined by more than that. I honestly think story and gameplay will trump graphics bigtime going forward.