So, Does Nobody Respect The Jak And Daxter Franchise Here?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ms555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 ms555
Member since 2007 • 2665 Posts

Maybe i missed it, but ive been really surprised not a single soul has really mentioned the new hd collection yet here on system wars, or really on any forums. Plus, hardly any sites have reviewed the remaster yet. I had it under the impression, however, that this would be a remaster that would stand out. As i recall, (perhaps wrongly, idk) Jak and Daxter had been one of the most admired platformer franchises of last gen. Like i said tho, i could be wrong

But does nobody here even care about jak and daxter anymore, or heck am i wrong and was the franchise never that great and interesting to begin with? Where does this franchise stand in your heart, gamers?

Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
Its an hd collection. Its the same game.
_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 _Cadbury_
Member since 2006 • 2936 Posts
plenty of people have mentioned it, and its barely even out yet.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21711 Posts

Sorry, I can't respect a franchise I've never cared about.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#5 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts
Jak and Dexter is a great series. But I can't say I want to rebuy games I already own. Unless they ported the collection to the Vita, than I may buy it(If I even get a Vita)
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

I loved the first game great platformer....I disliked the 2nd and loathed the 3rd they were GTA clones.

ms555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ms555
Its an hd collection. Its the same game. Androvinus
well thats a bit of a poor excuse for it to be ignored....halo, ocarina, shadow of colossus, and mgs remasters got PLENTY of buzz when they launched. Heck the shadow of colosus got reviews weeks before the remaster was even out yet. Ive hardly ever played jak and daxter, so im trying to get an idea for how people perceive the franchise in present day
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Hard to respect yet another piss poor Sony exclusive, even from back in the PS2 era.

emorainbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 emorainbo
Member since 2008 • 3067 Posts

I loved the first game great platformer....I disliked the 2nd and loathed the 3rd they were GTA clones.

WilliamRLBaker

I dont know about 3 being a GTA clone but Jak 2 was definetly one and it was by far the weakest in the series.

Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Androvinus

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

emorainbo

I dont know about 3 being a GTA clone but Jak 2 was definetly one and it was by far the weakest in the series.

Calling the Jak series a gta clone is like calling skyrim a gta clone.
IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IAmNot_fun
Member since 2010 • 3336 Posts
[QUOTE="Androvinus"]Its an hd collection. Its the same game. ms555
well thats a bit of a poor excuse for it to be ignored....halo, ocarina, shadow of colossus, and mgs remasters got PLENTY of buzz when they launched. Heck the shadow of colosus got reviews weeks before the remaster was even out yet. Ive hardly ever played jak and daxter, so im trying to get an idea for how people perceive the franchise in present day

Halo - remake of one of the most influential FPS ever OoT - semi-remake of possibly the best game in the history of gaming with different controls scheme and noticeable graphical changes which wasn't just upscaling. ICO collection - the fact the new HD edition actually makes SOTC amazing and playable. And the amount of hi-res texture upgrade in that was impressive that sometimes it looked like current-gen game MGS - first time you could play Peace Walker without PSP and with dual analog
Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Androvinus
[QUOTE="Androvinus"]Its an hd collection. Its the same game. ms555

Its a great series, but there are tons of hd releases. I dont see why people should keep talking about them. Especially if they have played the games previously.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#13 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
I read that the port has no AA, unlike some of the other HD collections.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
It's an HD collection of a long dead PS2 franchise... :|
_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _Cadbury_
[QUOTE="emorainbo"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

You people have to be joking. I mean really, a GTA clone?? loool...
ms555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ms555
It's an HD collection of a long dead PS2 franchise... :|charizard1605
u really havent answered the question, charizard.....sorry, close but no cigar question was what is ur personal impression of the franchise as a whole
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts
[QUOTE="emorainbo"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

Androvinus

True story.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]It's an HD collection of a long dead PS2 franchise... :|ms555
u really havent answered the question, charizard.....sorry, close but no cigar question was what is ur personal impression of the franchise as a whole

I only ever played the first game and Daxter (the PSP game). Liked the former, loved the latter. Overall, I'd say it's a good franchise, but nothing special. Now Ratchet and Clank on the other hand, that is some hot sh*t.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MLBknights58

[QUOTE="emorainbo"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

_Cadbury_

You're fooling yourself if you think that GTA III didn't influence Jak 2.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I think I'll get it. I loved the previous games. I'm breaking my rule of getting SoTC, but whatever.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MLBknights58

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

white_sox

Influenced? Sure. Clone of? **** no.

This I can agree on.

_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 _Cadbury_
[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="_Cadbury_"][QUOTE="emorainbo"] I dont know about 3 being a GTA clone but Jak 2 was definetly one and it was by far the weakest in the series.

They're both open world. One has real guns, one has fantasy guns. One has real vehicles, one has hover vehicles. OMGZ totallyz a clone.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I think its more that it wasint a rare game or highly expensive so noone is like "yes we finally get to play it" and that some people are happy its out but its not a brand new entry its just the same exact games with some trophies and a little touch up. Its understandible reaction. Im very happy its out and will be getting it again. Its not a lack of respect from people more of a lack of excitement since again its just a rerelase.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
never cared about the franchise. when it came out the main characters looked so stupid i just ignored it. same with ratchet and clank
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WilliamRLBaker
[QUOTE="emorainbo"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

Androvinus

if you cant see how Jak 2 and 3 were GTA clones or are you going to all them pure platformers like the first one was?
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MLBknights58

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="_Cadbury_"] You people have to be joking. I mean really, a GTA clone?? loool..._Cadbury_

They're both open world. One has real guns, one has fantasy guns. One has real vehicles, one has hover vehicles. OMGZ totallyz a clone.

Never said it was a clone. :o

Would have preferred GTA III never come out however, because I wont not too fond of Jak II. Wanted moar Jak I.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="Androvinus"][QUOTE="emorainbo"] I dont know about 3 being a GTA clone but Jak 2 was definetly one and it was by far the weakest in the series.

WilliamRLBaker

if you cant see how Jak 2 and 3 were GTA clones or are you going to all them pure platformers like the first one was?

so basicly every open world game is a gta clone? This is going by your logic. Theres a difference between a clone and taking influence from something els.

_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 _Cadbury_

[QUOTE="_Cadbury_"][QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

MLBknights58

Would have preferred GTA III never come out however, because I wont not too fond of Jak II. Wanted moar Jak I.

Well I was refering to the clone comment so.:o
Jak II was the best in the series. It perfected the formula. Dunno why people complain, all the platforming is still there. There's just more variety and a bigger and better story and game as a whole.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MLBknights58

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="_Cadbury_"] They're both open world. One has real guns, one has fantasy guns. One has real vehicles, one has hover vehicles. OMGZ totallyz a clone._Cadbury_

Well I was refering to the clone comment so.:o
Jak II was the best in the series. It perfected the formula. Dunno why people complain, all the platforming is still there. There's just more variety and a bigger and better story and game as a whole.

Eh, I just preferred the silly, sort of light-hearted tone and atmosphere of the first one. Jak II had this dark, gritty environments and atmosphere, and even Jak turned out to be a complete Badass, which isn't what I expected from the silent guy in the first one ahah. :P But after all that torture I guess that's to be expected.

Maybe I'll go back and give it another shot who knows.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WilliamRLBaker

Oh come on Jak 2 and 3 were obviously GTA clones they were released at a time when GTA was at its most popular on the ps2.

Its freaking obvious look this is frankly all the proof I need.

Jak and Daxter Precusor legacy.

Nice platformer family friendly.

Jak II

Angsty, Mean looking more open world, hey look kids its those cool things called guns shoot your enemies and drive vehicles look at that animal type chick shes got big boobs!

Jak 3

ROAR even more angsty, more kick ass desert type vehicles with weapons on them, the girls got bigger boobs. Face it Jak 2 and 3 cloned themselves as much as they could on GTA short of having drug running quests and hunting down and kidnapping people.

P.S: and thats why the first one is the only good one in the series it was fun, it was straight up platformer it wasn't trying to be like the big boys at the time.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 finalfantasy94

Oh come on Jak 2 and 3 were obviously GTA clones they were released at a time when GTA was at its most popular on the ps2.

Jak II

Angsty, Mean looking more open world, hey look kids its those cool things called guns shoot your enemies and drive vehicles look at that animal type chick shes got big boobs!

Jak 3

ROAR even more angsty, more kick ass desert type vehicles with weapons on them, the girls got bigger boobs. Face it Jak 2 and 3 cloned themselves as much as they could on GTA short of having drug running quests and hunting down and kidnapping people.

P.S: and thats why the first one is the only good one in the series it was fun, it was straight up platformer it wasn't trying to be like the big boys at the time.

WilliamRLBaker

really your proof of it being a clone is boxart. Man you are reaching my friend.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MLBknights58

But William where are teh hookers and muh drugs.

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

I already own all 3 (well, 5, NOT NOT NOT the Lost Frontier thank GOD!), but I'd love an excuse to go back to them. I'll probably pick it up when its under $20, Jak was the second best franchise on the PS2.

Can you guess which was #1?

_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 _Cadbury_

Jak II

Jak 3

WilliamRLBaker

Someone needs to learn what the word clone means.
Jak II wasn't 'trying to be like the big boys', it was the big boy. It did everything right. Dunno why you're crying about it so much, it still had just as much platforming in it.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#36 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

It's just an HD collection. I liked those games but I not gonna buy this collection for HD graphics.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts

WilliamRLBaker
I feel the same way, but for different reasons.
Dr_Corndog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dr_Corndog
Member since 2004 • 3245 Posts

You know why Jak & Daxter became popular? Because the PS2 couldn't play Mario.

Seriously. The original J&D was a competent but utterly forgetable game. Jak II, though, was absolute garbage.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

I liked Ratchet and Clank much better. They were still good games though. R&C Going Commando has to be my alltime favorite PS2 game.

xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

Sure people respect J&D. Its just that its more "last gen" as a franchise. Why do you think ND went with Uncharted this gen? ND wanted to make a game that had a realistic artstyle and the hardware could do it. That is what they said not me. The Last of Us looks to be a great game. As gamers we should always want the dev to push themselves..if that means abandoning a franchise then so be it.

dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts
I'm getting the game for free, so I'll play it and enjoy every second of it. Would I pay money to buy it? Probably not.