So are the new headsets vr 2.0 ...

Avatar image for commander
#1 Posted by commander (15378 posts) -

I've heard a lot of people complain about the lack of eye tracking, foveated rendering and varifocals with the new headsets (rift s and valve index), and so they don't want to call this vr 2.0 but more like vr 1.5

But apparently the sweet spot (that is the place where you stuff is focussed) is a lot bigger, the screen door effect is much smaller and the fov (especially on the valve index ) is a lot bigger.

The rifst s does a couple of tradeoff for this, it runs at 80 hz instead of 90 hz, uses inside outside tracking instead external sensor tracking, has cheaper audio and controllers with less functionality.

The valve index goes all out with their valve knuckles, improved audio, improved fov, superior external sensor tracking (supports playspace up to 33 by 33 feet)

That sounds to me vr 2.0, but of course I haven't been able to try any of these babies.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#2 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44179 posts) -

Yeah I was watching a video that was an early look of the the Valve Index and they sort of describe it as 1.5, not 2.0. 2.0 adds things and gets rid of what doesn't work in favor of stuff that does.

1.5 imo means we have simply improved what was already there. If Vive is 1.0, and Vive Pro is idunno 1.3, then Valve Index might be 1.5 or even 1.8 lol. But I don't think it's 2.0 yet. I mean, recall the jump from Playstation 1 to 2, and 3 to 4. Pretty huge jumps, and VR has a lot more going on (as in, a lot more areas to improve) than a console.

I don't think that diminishes the advancements in any way, shape, or form because getting rid of the screen-door effect is a pretty big deal imo, but 2.0 will need a bit more than that.

Just my $0.02 but I feel that VR "2.0" will need headset-mounted sensors, and to completely do away with having placed tracking sensors of any kind. Controllers will also need to be better. Screen-door effect needs to be gone completely. Larger play area for games that require movement would be nice as well.

VR 3.0 will hopefully be within 10 years and that when we will get wireless headsets

Avatar image for DocSanchez
#3 Posted by DocSanchez (5324 posts) -

With every passing year we get closer and closer to my dream: The Holodeck. Were I alive I would be Reg Barclay. Addicted. Delusional. Entertained. For our future childrens sake, this must happen. And in the 100-150 years time it will take to introduce this, Nintendo will finally have a headset up to Oculus standards. For the price of 300 credits.

Avatar image for beyyy18
#4 Edited by beyyy18 (4 posts) -

All the videos I saw did not convince me to invest in the new vr headsets. Most say that the quality is not really the rendezvous, and that the optics is not breathtaking. I am waiting for other opinions, but for now I remain on my position.

VPNSai MannatAnyDesk

Avatar image for darthbuzzard
#6 Posted by DarthBuzzard (188 posts) -

We're at the gen 1.75 point. Gen 2 will be nothing like gen 1 which is why we're not there yet.

@mrbojangles25 said:

Yeah I was watching a video that was an early look of the the Valve Index and they sort of describe it as 1.5, not 2.0. 2.0 adds things and gets rid of what doesn't work in favor of stuff that does.

1.5 imo means we have simply improved what was already there. If Vive is 1.0, and Vive Pro is idunno 1.3, then Valve Index might be 1.5 or even 1.8 lol. But I don't think it's 2.0 yet. I mean, recall the jump from Playstation 1 to 2, and 3 to 4. Pretty huge jumps, and VR has a lot more going on (as in, a lot more areas to improve) than a console.

I don't think that diminishes the advancements in any way, shape, or form because getting rid of the screen-door effect is a pretty big deal imo, but 2.0 will need a bit more than that.

Just my $0.02 but I feel that VR "2.0" will need headset-mounted sensors, and to completely do away with having placed tracking sensors of any kind. Controllers will also need to be better. Screen-door effect needs to be gone completely. Larger play area for games that require movement would be nice as well.

VR 3.0 will hopefully be within 10 years and that when we will get wireless headsets

Wireless will happen with gen 2 in 3 years. It won't take anywhere near as long as you think.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#7 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44179 posts) -

@darthbuzzard said:

We're at the gen 1.75 point. Gen 2 will be nothing like gen 1 which is why we're not there yet.

@mrbojangles25 said:

Yeah I was watching a video that was an early look of the the Valve Index and they sort of describe it as 1.5, not 2.0. 2.0 adds things and gets rid of what doesn't work in favor of stuff that does.

1.5 imo means we have simply improved what was already there. If Vive is 1.0, and Vive Pro is idunno 1.3, then Valve Index might be 1.5 or even 1.8 lol. But I don't think it's 2.0 yet. I mean, recall the jump from Playstation 1 to 2, and 3 to 4. Pretty huge jumps, and VR has a lot more going on (as in, a lot more areas to improve) than a console.

I don't think that diminishes the advancements in any way, shape, or form because getting rid of the screen-door effect is a pretty big deal imo, but 2.0 will need a bit more than that.

Just my $0.02 but I feel that VR "2.0" will need headset-mounted sensors, and to completely do away with having placed tracking sensors of any kind. Controllers will also need to be better. Screen-door effect needs to be gone completely. Larger play area for games that require movement would be nice as well.

VR 3.0 will hopefully be within 10 years and that when we will get wireless headsets

Wireless will happen with gen 2 in 3 years. It won't take anywhere near as long as you think.

Yeah I just don't like getting my hopes up hahaha.

They already have aftermarket wireless adapters, plus some inhouse solutions (I believe HTC had a backpack of sorts?), it just doesn't seem close to viable yet. I imagine battery life is probably an issue, and visual and audio data requires some serious bandwidth, even if it only is from 10 feet away.

Avatar image for darthbuzzard
#8 Posted by DarthBuzzard (188 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@darthbuzzard said:

We're at the gen 1.75 point. Gen 2 will be nothing like gen 1 which is why we're not there yet.

@mrbojangles25 said:

Yeah I was watching a video that was an early look of the the Valve Index and they sort of describe it as 1.5, not 2.0. 2.0 adds things and gets rid of what doesn't work in favor of stuff that does.

1.5 imo means we have simply improved what was already there. If Vive is 1.0, and Vive Pro is idunno 1.3, then Valve Index might be 1.5 or even 1.8 lol. But I don't think it's 2.0 yet. I mean, recall the jump from Playstation 1 to 2, and 3 to 4. Pretty huge jumps, and VR has a lot more going on (as in, a lot more areas to improve) than a console.

I don't think that diminishes the advancements in any way, shape, or form because getting rid of the screen-door effect is a pretty big deal imo, but 2.0 will need a bit more than that.

Just my $0.02 but I feel that VR "2.0" will need headset-mounted sensors, and to completely do away with having placed tracking sensors of any kind. Controllers will also need to be better. Screen-door effect needs to be gone completely. Larger play area for games that require movement would be nice as well.

VR 3.0 will hopefully be within 10 years and that when we will get wireless headsets

Wireless will happen with gen 2 in 3 years. It won't take anywhere near as long as you think.

Yeah I just don't like getting my hopes up hahaha.

They already have aftermarket wireless adapters, plus some inhouse solutions (I believe HTC had a backpack of sorts?), it just doesn't seem close to viable yet. I imagine battery life is probably an issue, and visual and audio data requires some serious bandwidth, even if it only is from 10 feet away.

Bandwidth is no big deal. Current wireless standards will hold up to whatever specs gen 2 headsets will put out, as you can use foveated rendering to cut down on the bandwidth.

Avatar image for raining51
#9 Posted by Raining51 (1144 posts) -

I belive so... I'm not the expert though.