Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

As controller continues to take over the competitive/pro gaming/shooter I’m noticing the new thing for streamers to complain about is a lack of aim assist whenever their shots don’t land, or articles on how to get your aim assist perfectly.

Had cross play really changed the landscape this month. Like I said in a prior thread when I grew up keyboard mouse was gold standard for shooters but now it seems like even in the pc community things are shifting heavily to controller.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46279 Posts

People should use whatever they want and whatever makes them feel comfortable when playing a game.

For a 60fps game, even with a controller on PC, I never use aim assist.

For a 30fps game aim assist is pretty much the only way to play.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

No, it's not cool. Just like support wheels on bikes aren't cool.

@Mercenary848 said:

As controller continues to take over the competitive/pro gaming/shooter

It is? No friend of mine or streamer I watch plays competitive shooters on PC with a controller. They would be seriously laughed at. I've seen some of them do as a joke.

@Mercenary848 said:

I’m noticing the new thing for streamers to complain about is a lack of aim assist whenever their shots don’t land, or articles on how to get your aim assist perfectly.

They do? Again, I've never watched a streamer playing competitive shooters on PC with a controller. But I don't watch children on twitch, maybe that's why?

@Mercenary848 said:

now it seems like even in the pc community things are shifting heavily to controller.

I haven't noticed, and doubt that.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1144 Posts

Aim assist is helpful if you have a controller. They're not precise by any means.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Aim assist is the perfect tool to annoy every hermit in the lobby. Love it.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

constant reminder of the game laughing at you "lol you couldnt make that shot, lemme do it for you"

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

Aim assist is fine with a controller once it is not annoyingly aggressive and counter-productive like in Overwatch 2.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

*So aim assist is cool now*

Was aim assist ever cool, to begin with?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

@davillain said:

*So aim assist is cool now*

Was aim assist ever cool, to begin with?

You haven't seen folks saying "I am using aim assist and that makes me cool." all over the net?😏

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58939 Posts

It's funny watching people attribute aim assist to console when it came from PC. Be it Doom or Rainbow 6.

For competitive gaming? Yea wouldn't want it.

Doom games or Rainbow 6 where it's one shot, one kill and the AI practically locks onto you? Yea, fine with it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

PC players love to chide console gamers over it but truth be told its the PC game space that's ruined by people using aimbotz and wallhax because they all do it but pretend they don't so they project about aim assist.

Anyhow, it depends on game but for some it is more beneficial to turn aim assist off because it can work against the player, like if you are trying to lead on your shot and the aim assist keeps yanking the aim where you don't want it.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#13 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Its definitely becoming more of a thing with competitive FPS games with forced cross-play, the new CoD being the prime example which has pretty strong aim-assist for controller users.

I've heard of PC players using controllers for the perceived competitive advantage, but I've been able to do fine against controller users with kb+m for the most part.

I do think games with big player bases like CoD should let you matchmake based on input (or turn off crossplay at least)

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

I wouldn't say it's "cool" now. Controller folk got sick of being washed by K/M folk and complained until games like CoD, Fortnite, and Halo etc... implemented heavy aim assist that does all the work for them. It's simply the only way any of them were able to compete.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Aim assist is never cool it still boggles my mind that controller engineers or whatever you would call them haven't found a way make aiming on a gamepad not suck.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8853 Posts

@Mercenary848: I think if you are going to mix KB+Mouse gamers in the same match with Controller gamers, aim assist is mandatory because controllers will never have the pin-point accuracy of the kb+mouse.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

It’s cool for people who suck.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 uninspiredcup  Online

@fedor said:

I wouldn't say it's "cool" now. Controller folk got sick of being washed by K/M folk and complained until games like CoD, Fortnite, and Halo etc... implemented heavy aim assist that does all the work for them. It's simply the only way any of them were able to compete.

That's not what happened at all lol

Again, PC games had aim-assist first. We invented it.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Fedor

@uninspiredcup said:
@fedor said:

What does that have to do with the advent of crossplay in competitive MP games and the need to give controller users aim assist to be able to complete?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uninspiredcup  Online
@fedor said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@fedor said:

What does that have to do with the advent of crossplay in competitive MP games and the need to give controller users aim assist to be able to complete?

@fedor:It was popularized by the likes of Halo and Goldeneye on console. Where they were designed specifically, with console in mind. Nowt to do with "crossplay" or "competition with pc gamers". PC and console players didn't play "each other" prior.

Further, prior to Quake, PC players where playing PC players with aim-assist.

****, even Halflife had it.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fedor

@uninspiredcup said:
@fedor said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@fedor said:

@fedor:It was popularized by the likes of Halo and Goldeneye on console. Where they were designed specifically, with console in mind. Nowt to do with "crossplay" or "competition with pc gamers". PC and console players didn't play "each other" prior.

I'm not asking for a 90s history lesson. Again, What does that have to do with the advent of crossplay in competitive MP games and the need to give controller users aim assist to be able to complete? That's what the OP is asking, not who did aim assist first.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 uninspiredcup  Online

@fedor said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@fedor said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@fedor said:

I'm not asking for a 90s history lesson. Again, What does that have to do with the advent of crossplay in competitive MP games and the need to give controller users aim assist to be able to complete? That's what the OP is asking, not who did aim assist first.

The take is fictitious. Rooted in elitism than reality.

Developers will be more concerned with pc gamers cheating, first and foremost. Which is the reason most opt not to have crossplay.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fedor
@uninspiredcup said:
@fedor said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@fedor said:

The take is fictitious. Rooted in elitism than reality.

Developers will be more concerned with pc gamers cheating, first and foremost. Which is the reason most opt not to have crossplay.

I don't believe it's fictitious, you're free to have that opinion though. The large majority of popular competitive MP shooters (Apex, CoD, Halo, Fortnite, Overwatch etc..) do have crossplay though, so you are wrong on that point.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1005 Posts

They should just remove aim assist from all games that way lag won't interfere. Everyone will have to learn to aim. Learning makes things fun, having something assist you always will make you stupid. Kz2 had no aim assist and it was fun.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 uninspiredcup  Online

@eni232 said:

They should just remove aim assist from all games that way lag won't interfere. Everyone will have to learn to aim. Learning makes things fun, having something assist you always will make you stupid. Kz2 had no aim assist and it was fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@eni232 said:

Loading Video...

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1244 Posts

Nope. Only scrubs use aim assist because they suck at gaming.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 13990 Posts

Reminds me of that Happy Days episode. You know the one, where Fonze says, "Aaaaaim assist."

The coolest.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

Controllers (along with aim assist) are becoming more popular in general. I believe it would be for the following reasons:

1) Sony and Microsoft are becoming more successful with their consoles compared to previous gens. This would obviously increase the amount of people using controllers.

2) The amount of PC gamers buying controllers would also be growing, especially because there are plenty of PC games supporting them. Steam, Epic Games Store and Microsoft PC Game Pass have loads of controller-focused games.

3) Cross play between different platforms would obviously help spread the use of aim-assist to make sure players of one platform do not have any strong advantages over others.

4) If PC gamers are better at scoring headshots than console gamers, then developers will make headshot damage less effective to balance the playing field between PC and console gamers.

5) Developers know not everybody likes playing at a desk with keyboard and mouse. Some people prefer using controllers while sitting on a sofa or bed (this is true for me), so of course they will focus on controllers. Why limit your target audience based on what their comfort preferences are?

6) Valve Steam Deck will also be increasing controller acceptance with the PC gaming community. Along with other PC gaming handhelds.