KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12944 Posts

Five years after the original first arrived on Xbox, Slime Rancher 2 is officially available today as part of Xbox Game Preview and Xbox Game Pass, releasing for Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, PC and Xbox Cloud Gaming.

Earlier this week, we had a chance to talk to Nick Popovich, the CEO of developer Monomi Park, about a variety of topics related to Slime Rancher 2, including the team's delight to be featured as part of Xbox Game Pass.

"Microsoft has always been a great partner for us and really seems to ‘get’ Slime Rancher so it was an easy decision for us. With Game Pass, I think it’s a great mechanism for especially smaller indies to reduce risk by taking a Game Pass deal, but for us, I think the model compliments our games, which we run a long time.

So, keeping up an active player base allows us to keep finding an audience as we release one content update after another over a period of years. In my opinion, one of the single best ads you can get for your game is those little notifications on each platform that tell you “Your Friend Jane is Now Playing Slime Rancher”. That’s hard to beat."

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2022/09/slime-rancher-2-dev-xbox-game-pass-was-an-easy-decision-for-us

"I had a pipe dream in my head that we could sell 100k copies of Slime Rancher 2 in the first 24 hours if the stars aligned," Popovich wrote(opens in new tab). "We did that in less than 6 hours." In a different tweet(opens in new tab), Popovich revealed that a single hour of sales beat Monomi Park's previous best day by "a literal order of magnitude."

https://www.pcgamer.com/slime-rancher-2-sales-smash-devs-pipe-dream-in-6-hours/

What say you fellow SW members? Are you surprised by the success Game Pass has had with developers? It seems many are now on board. Even Sony had their MLB game Day One on Game Pass. And now with Bethesda and Activision all on Game Pass Day One, do you think the library of games is growing too fast? Feel free to discuss!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23909 Posts

Game sold 300k copies in the first day. That is phenomenal. They also made the game without crunch. Which is a surefire way to nurture talent.

Glad to see the game going on Gamepass.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KvallyX

@Maroxad said:

Game sold 300k copies in the first day. That is phenomenal. They also made the game without crunch. Which is a surefire way to nurture talent.

Glad to see the game going on Gamepass.

Yeah, I am glad they are getting all this positivity for the game. It's doing well on Steam scores too.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8037 Posts

good to see more praise from developers in terms of Game Pass.. detractors will continue to either ignore these quotes or move the goalpost elsewhere.. 🤷🏽‍♂️

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KvallyX

@girlusocrazy said:

Who invented the money hat?

I'm not interested in subscription services for games, but from a curiosity standpoint I'm interested in how Game Pass looks when they focus on profits

You are concerned for MS and their bottom line? I look at how the developers of our games accept Game Pass. They continue to praise it, and continue to put more and more games on Game Pass, giving us, the consumer more and more value. SR2 is going to be played by me!

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7200 Posts

O wow, this is good news for GamePass. Bad news for Cows hating on GamePass but deep down praying for Sony to copy them.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56080 Posts

Seeing developers supporting GP does favor boosting developers' reputations by doing so and that's a good thing when the little guys need to be recognized when the praising goes wild.

Others like Glen Schofield think it's not that easy or profitable but I can understand his reasonings. Of course, Glen has been in the gaming business for decades so he's not new to this. All in all, GP continues to impress the little guys so that's a win for all & MS's benefit.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69431 Posts

This must be upsetting news to some.😎

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Indie dev + GamePass paycheck. Name a better duo.

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

A sequel to a highly successful budget title which released on all major platforms from a team of less than 30 people and is merely a timed exclusive before it releases on other platforms to likely strong sales because people have been eager for the sequel since it was announced thinks GamePass is a good idea to help promote their game?

I feel like these situations speak more to the success of the game which GamePass uses to promote their brand than it is Microsoft giving studios like Monmi Park a chance they wouldn't have had otherwise.

No shit successful games that go to other platforms with a pre-installed audience like the GamePass pay day.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38822 Posts

Its an excellent service for games that nobody cares about, that's why everyone call it the Indie Pass.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Game Pass for the win baby! 😎

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

Looks at the usual suspects chomping at the bit to slate GP.