Sleeping Dogs - overrated, underrated, or just right?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Sleeping Dogs - overrated, underrated, or just right? (43 votes)

Overrated 12%
Underrated 47%
Just Right 42%

Sleeping Dogs gets brought up in conversation from time to time. It drew comparisons to GTA and I think some even called it a GTA killer type game. While I don't think it quite lived up to that, it was enjoyable. In some ways, a little underrated. I really liked the combat and driving. I didn't find the missions to be boring unlike GTA where most of your missions felt the same. It didn't feel drawn out like open world games tend to be. The characters and story were interesting. What do you think, SW? Is Sleeping Dogs overrated, underrated, or just right? Does it deserve another chance?

• 
Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

About right. I enjoy some aspects of it but ultimately just another open-world game.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

I would say overrated. game was pretty bad.

typical GTAised open world game, terrible storyline where cop doesnot decide he need to be a cop or criminal as they should have write better undercover cop story, driving absolutely suck, hand to hand combat was derivated from batman and shooting feel like they added 2 weeks before released.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Its "Underrated!" Sleeping Dogs is such an amazing game. The combat is amazing, the story is on point, and all in open world goodness. I don't know why it doesn't get the love I feel it deserves, but maybe it is just because it isn't for everyone. I actually like the driving in Sleeping Dogs way more than in GTAV.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

6/10 max for me

Wei Fucking Shen is lit, but the story is just Infernal Affairs for gamers. IE the poverty version of a better story. The mechanics are also not particularly good. The melee combat is bitch ass batman combat, and the moving n shooting is typical shit. It's better than like GTA, and it has some nice QOL stuff. I like the part where you can press on the thumb stick and it will cycle through your mission waypoints without you having to open up the map, that was nice.

But, beyond that I've had no urge to replay that game. I basically skipped most of the side shit as its boring as hell. IDK, I like it in the context of I think the game is much more fun vibe than a lot of its open world counter parts try to be, and the setting isn't used n abused in games. But it has a lot of the same faults typical open world games have, and I'm not any more fond of Batman combat today, than I was when I played Sleeping Dogs.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

About right. The game had some pretty neat ideas. The combat was okay-ish; it tried to replicate Batman, although the mechanics had some issues. It didn't have to be open-world, though.

I never finished it, but I just might one day.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Never played it. I had an opportunity to when it was free on Xbox Live a few years ago, but I never got around to getting it. Just isn’t my thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I enjoyed it more than any GTA game that was released since. Setting was cool and it handled well. 2 things GTA can't seem to get right

Underrated

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

typical GTAised open world game, terrible storyline where cop doesnot decide he need to be a cop or criminal as they should have write better undercover cop story, driving absolutely suck, hand to hand combat was derivated from batman and shooting feel like they added 2 weeks before released.

This is evidence enough that everyone should give Sleeping Dogs a shot. It Ghosts didn't like it, it must be good.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ghosts4ever

@goldenelementxl said:
@ghosts4ever said:

This is evidence enough that everyone should give Sleeping Dogs a shot. It Ghosts didn't like it, it must be good.

Its better than GTA. I'd give you that. but beyond that game is crap.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

I enjoyed it, 7.5/10 probably an 8 if I played it in the PS3 era.

The fighting is much better than GTA but I think that’s about it, GTA excels in all other areas.

For those who don’t know, there is incessant swearing in Cantonese in the background! “Fxxk you, fxxk your ass, fxxk your mother’s ass.”

But then again, there is a fair amount of swearing in HK.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I did enjoy it more than a GTA game. But I don't believe it's better than a GTA game. It was just more interesting to me. It had the right level of freedom and collectables and humor for me.

I guess I would say it is a little underrated. I'd want to give it an 8.5

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Easily underrated it is better then any Watch Dogs game or Saints Row game IMO. Sleeping Dogs has great characters amazing atmosphere ,combat and great radios stations. Here's a interesting fact some of you probably don't know all of the radio stations are actually real record companies. This game came out in 2012 and still looks fantastic I love the lighting.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@warmblur said:

Easily underrated it is better then any Watch Dogs game or Saints Row game IMO. Sleeping Dogs has great characters amazing atmosphere ,combat and great radios stations. Here's a interesting fact some of you probably don't know all of the radio stations are actually real record companies. This game came out in 2012 and still looks fantastic I love the lighting.

Sleeping Dogs was ahead of its time, this is indeed underrated as I said above. I'm truly surprise this game never got the respect it deserves. Obviously it came out at the wrong time, it should have been 2015 and up.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

Easily underrated it is better then any Watch Dogs game or Saints Row game IMO.

thats not saying much because nearly anything can be better than those 2. watch dogs is something literally no one care about and saints row is just some dumb GTA clone.

I would go ahead and say sleeping dogs is also better than GTA.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Honestly underrated. I played it when it was on Games with Gold and was very impressed by the story and combat. It feels like the game was completely ignored by everyone. I think GTA stinks- the missions suck, the shooting sucks, and its so boring. I was engaged by sleeping dogs thoroughly.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Probably underrated. It had a great story and interesting characters, the combat was good and it had some great missions

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I have heard mixes things, safe to say it might not be for everyone, but one might enjoy it too, seen the game listed cheap numerous times so can't see trying it out as being too much of an investment.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I beat it three times. I love it. The gunplay really sucks though.

WeRVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19 WeRVenom
Member since 2020 • 479 Posts

Love that game.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#20 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I thought it was a pretty unremarkable open world game with a decent setting. Gameplay was average.

I'd say a bit overrated

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

I enjoyed it well enough and would say that it’s rated, “Just right”.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SOedipus

@Archangel3371 said:

I enjoyed it well enough and would say that it’s rated, “Just right”.

No no no no, bring back Kramer.

Wirrexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wirrexx
Member since 2003 • 1738 Posts

I loved this game, finished it on my x360, later on my ps4!!! Great game! Better then Watch dogs and saints row.. Easy.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghosts4ever

@SOedipus said:

Loading Video...

the most painfull segment in this game is this. you are forced to go to nightclub and play some guitar hero mini game there. absolutely useless and filler.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SOedipus

@ghosts4ever said:
@SOedipus said:

the most painfull segment in this game is this. you are forced to go to nightclub and play some guitar hero mini game there. absolutely useless and filler.

I agree, those sucked. The good thing about them, is that they're super easy and really fast. Just one-and-done them. But yeah, it breaks the immersion.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

@SOedipus: Sorry but I just felt that it was time for a change to freshen things up. He will be missed though. 😢

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Bought it cheap about a year after release and played about 2 hours,it’s ok but not something I went back too

If you like the yakusu Games that have just landed on gamepass then I’d imagine you Would like sleeping dogs

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@SOedipus said:

Loading Video...

Nah man that shit was fun I kicked ass at it.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Underrated. I loved the combat in that game. The story was good enough for a video game. Fun game overall.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Just right and maybe a bit underrated. It felt unique and refreshing compared to other games of the type (e.g. GTA). I loved the Hong Kong setting, the characters were interesting and the combat was satisfying.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Just right. Perhaps underrated initially, but soon (or at least with the mods/remake/remaster) seen for what it was.

It's not in the very top tier but it's a fantastic setting that we (inexplicably!) do not see much in gaming. Hong Kong is just a fucking gorgeous place, and incredibly interesting, with it's legacy of British governance mixing with modern glittering Chinese rule and ancient mysticism & martial arts. Wei Shen is one of the best characters from the 7th gen of gaming and the Arkham combat, driving, soundtrack, eating pork buns ("ANYONE FOR A PORK BUN!?") to recover health, James Hong voice acting, were all solid as a rock. The storyline played into the gameplay perfectly, with the schizophrenic missions switching constantly between criminal ("Kill these dudes!") and cop ("Gather evidence to protect people!"). This was reflected in Wei's confusion and misery in the story cutscenes.

Just a great, tightly made game. It was not perfect, a little glitchy and derivative, but that's OK. I played through it twice and fully enjoyed it as much the second time, which is rare enough for me!

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 locopatho

@warmblur said:

Easily underrated it is better then any Watch Dogs game or Saints Row game IMO.

I would rate Watch Dogs 2 and Saint's Row 3 above it (both masterpieces imo) but yeah, it's definitely above most of those series games, the more generic ones.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 locopatho
@SOedipus said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I agree, those sucked. The good thing about them, is that they're super easy and really fast. Just one-and-done them. But yeah, it breaks the immersion.

Absolutely perfect for the atmosphere though. You can't NOT have karaoke in a game and setting like this!

I think the point was for it to be silly and awkward. Like, take a break from punching and shooting to dance and sing.

Very much humanises Wei, when he's headbanging away during the solos :P

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#34 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Underrated. If ghosts hates it, it has to be good.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Its from Ubi. Overrated as f*ck.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

???

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Cool game, I had fun with it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

???

God dammit, i thought this was about Watch Dogs!!! Never played Sleeping Dogs but not a fan of the setting.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SOedipus

@locopatho said:
@SOedipus said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Absolutely perfect for the atmosphere though. You can't NOT have karaoke in a game and setting like this!

I think the point was for it to be silly and awkward. Like, take a break from punching and shooting to dance and sing.

Very much humanises Wei, when he's headbanging away during the solos :P

It does fit. It could have been just once or twice in a cut-scene, personally speaking.

But Ghosts, my friend, there is useless filler in Mafia 1. In this game Wei Shen, a nice guy forced to worked in gang and cop, and even though he is working as gangster he still keep his moral and not want to kill innocent and in they end he let some gang die and arrested. It's the art of writing. It's not shallow my friend, like Mafia 1. Sleeping Dogs is badass, they have best controls and mechanically perfect. and when it's not mechanically good (gun fights) its atmosphere save it.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

???

God dammit, i thought this was about Watch Dogs!!! Never played Sleeping Dogs but not a fan of the setting.

lol. Give it a try!

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 415 Posts

Sleeping Dogs was great. I would like to see environmental kills in more games please it is so much fun.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

No such thing as underrated or overrated... Things get remembered if they deserve to be, turns out I have Sleeping Dog's in my Steam library with 38 hours of playtime and I don't remember a single mission or level from the game.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BenjaminBanklin  Online
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

Just right, I enjoyed and it has enough of a cult following behind it. I like the nuanced fighting system. It's not just the average button masher. They may not do a sequel, but I can see a remake happening some day.