Skyrim, Witcher 3, or Breath of the Wild - which is best?

• 86 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
Edited 4 months, 1 day ago

Poll: Skyrim, Witcher 3, or Breath of the Wild - which is best? (122 votes)

Skyrim 17%
Witcher 3 46%
Breath of the Wild 37%

I just started playing Witcher 3 (15 hours in), and the game is awesome so far. Seems like it was heavily inspired by Skyrim. Has awesome graphics and attention to detail. The combat takes some time getting used to. Still trying to figure out the alchemy and crafting. As I'm playing it though, it makes me realize how much I like the simplicity of Breath of the Wild more. BOTW doesn't drown you with details, and leaves things for you to figure out and explore. I think that is the reason why BOTW would be best in my opinion, but I'm far from done with Witcher 3, so that may change. What about you, SW? Best game out of these three?

#1 Edited by TheEroica (17664 posts) -

Breath of the Wild

Skyrim

Witcher 3

In that order....

Oddly enough (but not really), it comes down to gameplay for me. I enjoyed the many systems in all those games. The customization of your characters and the three huge worlds to explore, but breath of the wild is the most fun to play...

Skyrim is second, because I am a huge fan of developing skills on the fly like Skyrim does so well.... I really like how it levels and even over time I grew to enjoy the imprecise sword play, magic and ranged bow and arrow approach...

Witcher 3 was a great rpg also, but a drull in terms of moment to moment gameplay. I always feel like that game wanted me to spend more time in menus than exploring, but I'm sure alot of people feel that way about alot of rpgs... Its gameplay never resonated as loud as it's presentation which was excellent.

#2 Posted by Sgt_Crow (5749 posts) -

BotW. It’s such a wonderful experience from start to finish.

#3 Posted by Random_Matt (3044 posts) -

W3.

BOTW really did show off the HW limitations.

#4 Edited by DaVillain- (30125 posts) -

In this order:

1. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (voted)
  2. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Skyrim
#5 Posted by Archangel3371 (24816 posts) -

Tough call as all three are awesome games but for me I would rank them as such:

1. Breath of the Wild

2. Skyrim

3. Witcher 3

#6 Posted by Zeggelaar (70 posts) -

I went

1 Witcher 3

2. Skyrim

3. Breath of the Wild

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#7 Edited by storm_of_swords (2267 posts) -

Skyrim > Breath of the Wild >>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Witcher 3

Skyrim and Breath of the Wild are both amazing, but I'll give Skyrim the slight edge since in Skyrim I can be whoever I want to be and do whatever I want to do.

The Witcher 3 was a huge disappointment for me and I honestly don't consider it a good game in the area that matters the most which is the gameplay. It's story, presentation, and graphics might all be excellent, but those three things are at the bottom of my list when it comes to what I find most important in a game. Gameplay is the most important thing to me and I think that the gameplay in The Witcher 3 is not great and the game feels like a chore to play. The combat and movement controls are also terrible which adds frustration on top of the boring gameplay.

#8 Posted by getyeryayasout (11698 posts) -

Breath of the Wild was the only game mentioned that I liked well enough to finish.

#9 Edited by Epak_ (10294 posts) -

TW3 and BotW. Skyrim what?

#10 Posted by djoffer (598 posts) -

TW3<<<BOTW<<<<<<<<<<Skyrim imo!

#11 Posted by Yams1980 (2871 posts) -

Skyrim with all the options of mods puts it way over the top as my choice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
#12 Posted by deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd (12449 posts) -

Skyrim with Mods > Witcher 3 > BOTW.

I simply found BOTW was a collection fest, the main content was far and few between, puzzle variety bored after awhile, that being said still a great game.

#13 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (23735 posts) -

I'd get bored with all three because of the 3rd-person view. But, Skyrim also has 1st-person view. I guess Skyrim is it.

#14 Posted by DrSerigala (98 posts) -

1. W3

2. Skyrim

3. BoTW

#15 Edited by Telekill (7821 posts) -

I enjoyed Witcher 3 marginally better than Zelda BotW but not by much. Zelda is my favorite Nintendo series and the game was fun but the story felt to be lacking. Witcher 3 was my first entry into the series and I found it really fun. Nearly time for a replay but I have some backlog to finish first.

#16 Edited by Vatusus (8666 posts) -

I didnt played BotW but between the other two, TW3 definitely. It had events in its story that made me care about the world and characters

#17 Edited by Renegade_Fury (20000 posts) -

Witcher III, and it's not even close. Skyrim was ok at best if not for the mods, and BotW may have turned me away from the Zelda franchise permanently.

#18 Posted by Todddow (716 posts) -

1. Skyrim

2. Witcher 3

3. LOL at BotW

#19 Edited by UssjTrunks (11277 posts) -

Witcher 3, and it's not even close. Greatest game ever made. It's the only game to ever succed at creating a world that feels alive. Skyrim and Hyrule feel empty and dead. It was also the only game I couldn't put down for the entire 150 hours it took me to beat the base game (I ended up at over 200 hours with the DLC, and I completely ignored Gwent and treasure hunts).

CDPR also killed it with their DLC. Their $20 DLC pack had the same amount of content as Horizon Zero Dawn (60 hours), which is an entire standalone open world game. Blood and Wine alone gave us another 40 hour open world adventure with a massive new zone to explore. Hearts of Stone expanded the base game map substantially. What did Nintendo do with BOTW? They gave us a few new dungeons, new game+, and a ladder challenge...

#20 Posted by henrythefifth (1441 posts) -

Skyrim. It has more diverstity and depth than the other games combined.

W3 might feel great right now for you, but soon you will realise how repetitive it is. You are basically doing the same thing all the time; kill all monsters in locations, or use your witcher sense to find something/someone. Boring as heck.

#21 Posted by UssjTrunks (11277 posts) -

@storm_of_swords said:

Skyrim and Breath of the Wild are both amazing, but I'll give Skyrim the slight edge since in Skyrim I can be whoever I want to be and do whatever I want to do.

The Witcher 3 was a huge disappointment for me and I honestly don't consider it a good game in the area that matters the most which is the gameplay. It's story, presentation, and graphics might all be excellent, but those three things are at the bottom of my list when it comes to what I find most important in a game. Gameplay is the most important thing to me and I think that the gameplay in The Witcher 3 is not great and the game feels like a chore to play. The combat and movement controls are also terrible which adds frustration on top of the boring gameplay.

Have you played Skyrim? TES games have terrible combat. BOTW isn't anything special either, just a slightly tighter version of the combat system in TW3.

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#22 Posted by storm_of_swords (2267 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:
@storm_of_swords said:

Have you played Skyrim? TES games have terrible combat. BOTW isn't anything special either, just a slightly tighter version of the combat system in TW3.

I'm not saying that Skyrim has amazing combat, but out of the two, I definitely prefer the combat in Skyrim over the poor and unsatisfying combat in The Witcher 3. At least Skyrim's combat has more weapon variety, is more similar to how someone would fight in real life, and the first person view is more satisfying.

#23 Edited by ellos (1531 posts) -

Breath of the Wild and Witcher 3 for sure. Skyrim gets a pioneer point but sux today. There is a lot of gameplay but bad, with the world that gives you nothing like the other games.

#24 Posted by BassMan (8502 posts) -

TW3 > Skyrim > BOTW. I really think BOTW is overrated. It lacks the lore, interesting quests and NPCs. Still a fun game, but I don't get immersed in it like the others.

#25 Edited by QuadKnight (11765 posts) -

Skyrim with mods owns anything.

Skyrim with Mods > TW3 IMO. I still love both to death though.

#26 Posted by Basinboy (13560 posts) -

IVe not played TW3, but may eventually. Between Skyrim and BotW, gimme Elder Scrolls.

#27 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (16557 posts) -

Easily Witcher 3 for me... Skyrim & BOTW are too empty for my liking.

#28 Posted by Calvincfb (773 posts) -

W3=BOTW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Skyrim

Skyrim is a really bad game. It's not polished, not well developed, filled with bugs, have a terrible battle system, bad everything. It's one of the worst games I've ever played.

#29 Edited by xantufrog (9166 posts) -

BotW is a remarkable game. The emergent gameplay, built around shockingly well-rounded environmental physics blows my mind.

But the sophistication of link's combat CONTROLS are out of sync with the richness of the mechanics afforded by this, and the story falls prey to open-world perhaps the worst of the 3. It is thin, disjointed, and most of the plot point moments are 50% recap of what was revealed during the last one. It's abundantly clear that the devs weren't sure how to have a cohesive and deep story told in an open world setting where people could take different paths to the end. And thus they pared it back and made it extremely repetitive in order for it to make sense no matter what order you do things. That's a pretty basic solution to the problem, and gets blown away by cdpr's effort. The fact that this is a step down from skyrim's story telling is shocking, because Skyrim does a pretty damn bad job at it.

At the end of the day, I give the crown to tw3. BotW might have taken it, based on the amazing mechanics, if the game had more depth to the story. But it's just not anywhere near as compelling and is completely devoid of player choice. It's almost like a playground for killing stuff in creative ways based on the surroundings, glued together by neat locales and some cutesy npcs

#30 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (23827 posts) -

Skyrim doesn't belong on this poll, despite how anyone would rate TW3 vs BOTW. Lol

Oh, and I vote TW3.

#31 Edited by pyro1245 (3722 posts) -

I had a lot of fun with Skyrim, especially with mods. Even though The Witcher 3 was a fantastic experience, I think I had more fun overall with Skyrim.

BotW was just kind of boring. It has a really strong opening, certainly giving me all those Zelda feels. However after the first 5 hours or so you realize that the game's main loop is 90% just climbing to high points and quick puzzle shrines. No cool dungeons or bosses, no fun items that let the world open up. Just really unmotivated exploration. Extremely disappointing. I typically like open world games, but it does not seem to work well with Zelda. Really a shame, and the game has such a good presentation too.

#32 Posted by appariti0n (2428 posts) -

I voted Witcher 3. No other game has managed to immerse me so fully into the world, lore, characters etc.

Not that Skyrim is a bad game by any means, I just lost interest about 70% of the way through. It’s essentially just oblivion with marginally better graphics.

Didn’t help that I played it at launch on PC with nothing but the default UI, which is terrible for keyboard/ mouse.

#33 Posted by Planeforger (17544 posts) -

I voted for The Witcher 3, but BotW is very very close behind it.

They're both leagues ahead of Skyrim, which failed in every area the other two games excelled at.

#34 Posted by DocSanchez (4641 posts) -

Witcher 3. Then Skyrim. Then BOTW.

#35 Posted by foxhound_fox (97162 posts) -

If Skyrim is unmodded, then I have to laugh at you for even thinking it deserves to be on the same level as The Witcher or Zelda. It's an awful game without about 60-70 mods.

#36 Posted by Pedro (30882 posts) -

Skyrim. The game is still being played today after so many years.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#37 Posted by SolidGame_basic (22937 posts) -

After about 20 hours of Witcher 3, I can see what people like about this game. Looking forward to playing the rest and the expansions.

#38 Posted by lundy86_4 (49630 posts) -

For gameplay, it's Zelda. For story, TW3. For the lefotvers, Skyrim.

Overall? TW3.

#39 Posted by DocSanchez (4641 posts) -

@foxhound_fox: No it isn't. Don't be hyperbolic. Skyrim is improved by mods, but it isn't awful. That's just internet BS talk.

#40 Posted by Vaeh (176 posts) -

Only Cyberpunk 2077 can beat The Witcher 3.

#41 Edited by foxhound_fox (97162 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@foxhound_fox: No it isn't. Don't be hyperbolic. Skyrim is improved by mods, but it isn't awful. That's just internet BS talk.

I played vanilla Skyrim. I can attest to it's horribleness.

I also absolutely love Skyrim with mods.

#42 Posted by funsohng (29968 posts) -

Vanilla Skyrim is a horrible game that doesn't even have a UI that functions properly.

#43 Posted by Clefdefa (581 posts) -

Skyrim was boring to me, same stupid bore fest quest that all other ES or Fallout games Bethesda made.

Witchers was also bery bad to me. I tried like 3 times during the same year to ply that game ... I played one hour and was so bored and cringe at the stupid controls that I stopped playing and remove the game from the HDD only to have to reinstall it later plus the stupid 30g update ... I played Bloodborne before and it felt like Gerard should behave the same way but no.

I haven't played Zelda. I don't know if I will. From what I saw it seems at least more interesting ... you have to watch the noise you make, change cloths to match the temperature ... and you can climb whatever but there is way too many Bokoblins

#44 Edited by UssjTrunks (11277 posts) -

For everyone saying modded Skyrim, that kind of defeats the point of this poll. The developers didn't mod Skyrim. Any game can be made better with fan-made projects (as long as the devs allow it).

#45 Posted by locopatho (23461 posts) -

Skyrim is in 3rd. Masterpiece, but 7 years old at this point. Been left behind by tech and design.

Then the The Witcher 3. Fantastic, but it's just not...

ZELDA. Breath Of The Wild is what I wanted in Zelda for over a decade. Finally, they delivered. Possibly the best game ever, to me anyway!

#46 Posted by nintendoboy16 (34857 posts) -

Skyrim - Still love it, my most played game on my Switch as we speak, though that's not counting the hours I put in the 360 version as well.

BoTW - Need to play more (Wii U version)

Witcher 3 - Never played it, but you could never pay me to do so. TW2 made me refrain from this franchise.

#47 Posted by Techhog89 (2665 posts) -

You won't believe what I voted for

#48 Edited by UssjTrunks (11277 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Witcher 3 - Never played it, but you could never pay me to do so. TW2 made me refrain from this franchise.

The two games have nothing in common other than the combat system, but suit yourself.

#49 Edited by DragonfireXZ95 (23827 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

Objectively, I'm not sure I'd agree with that. The characters are awful, the dialogue is atrocious, along with how horrible the voice acting is. The gameplay is shallow as hell; I think the stealth may be the most in depth, but even that's a huge downgrade from other stealth games like Splinter Cell. The graphics were also on the mediocre side when it released, so it didn't have that going for it. It had no dynamic shadows, a rudimentary lighting system, and awful textures/character models.

The exploring is kind of fun(until you've played it a few times), so it has that going for it. But, on the flip side, side quests are also completely linear and allow almost no room for any role-playing.

I'd say the game just barely tips the mediocre scales, until the vastness of the world and exploring it wears off.

You can improve the game with mods so it's playable, but I wouldn't say he's entirely wrong. Objectively, the game is just crap. Lol

For me, bottom line is: I would never ever return to the game without mods. I sometimes return, but only to install 150+ mods and check out any new ones that may have come out, then play it for 10-20 hours and quit, again.

To me, that basically means the game has no redeeming value(unless you include mods that other people make).

#50 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (16557 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

After about 20 hours of Witcher 3, I can see what people like about this game. Looking forward to playing the rest and the expansions.

Definitely do yourself a favour and play the Blood & Wine DLC. It's epic!