Skyrim is highly overrated. It's same old same old.

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ToastRider11 (2573 posts) -

I've been playing Skyrim for a couple of weeks. And almost right from the start it felt like the same old same old I got from Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Don't get me wrong. Skyrim is a good game but not the glory train and masterpiece that people claim it to be. One problem that mainly annoys me and this more of my own opinon is that there is TOO MUCH to do in the game which a lot of times leaves sitting there thinking and deciding what I should do next. The same old same old feel that we get from skyrim is that we start off the game as a character who's little about themselves and their past we are sorta like the chosen one to acomplish this great quest and do all sorts of things. I didn't feel that compelled as I did in Oblivion and even Fallout 3. I know I cant be the only one who thinks this. Anyone here agree? Or disagree?

#2 Posted by reach3 (1600 posts) -

No game's world this gen comes close to how alive and beautiful Skyrim's world is. Its a refreshing change from a gen that has consisted of a glut of sequels pumped out every year. The game deserves all the praise and Game Of The Year awards it has received

/thread

#3 Posted by freedomfreak (49726 posts) -

There are haters and lovers everywhere.So,I'm sure there will be agreements and disagreements.

#4 Posted by AmayaPapaya (9029 posts) -

I wouldn't know. The only other Bethesda game I played was Fallout 3. I love both.

#5 Posted by TheEroica (17206 posts) -

I totaly disagree.... I may have said the same thing after a week or two also, but a hundred hours into the game when you cross some new terrain, meet a new enemy, realize just how deep the character development is and have seen the inside of hundreds of DIFFERENT caves etc, you will realize that the game is an absolute masterpiece, even moreso that F3 and Oblivian... The game is truly a jaw dropper.

#6 Posted by BlindM0nk (41 posts) -

Skyrim was a good game but way overpraised. The Witcher 2 was 10 times better.

#7 Posted by ToastRider11 (2573 posts) -

There are haters and lovers everywhere.So,I'm sure there will be agreements and disagreements.

freedomfreak

I'm not really a hater, I just don't think Skyrim is that great. But I don't think it sucks.

#8 Posted by jedikevin2 (5263 posts) -
Sounds like this TC does not like sandbox open end gaming. Complaining about a game that has to much to do when you already know its a sandbox is pretty funny to read.
#9 Posted by IPWNDU2 (2535 posts) -

Skyrim is a great game if you enjoy: Terrible diaglouge/voice acting, mediocre storyline, glitches, 40+hours of fetch quests

#10 Posted by ToastRider11 (2573 posts) -

Sounds like this TC does not like sandbox open end gaming. Complaining about a game that has to much to do when you already know its a sandbox is pretty funny to read. jedikevin2
I like sandbox open end games. I loved Fallout 3. I played that game for hours and I enjoyed Oblivion too and other sandbox type games. Its just Skyrim has so much content that I am literally stuck on what to do next because there is so much to do. And on another sidenote of mine. I also thought the dialouge and speech options were very poor compared to other RPGs with that elements. But thats just me.

#11 Posted by freedomfreak (49726 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]

ToastRider11

I'm not really a hater, I just don't think Skyrim is that great. But I don't think it sucks.

Yeah,it's a poor choice of words.Disliker just sounds weird,but I meant people that just don't like the game.
#12 Posted by D3dr0_0 (3523 posts) -

The game is a bit overrated, but it's still fun.

#13 Posted by AzatiS (13708 posts) -
Im glad im not the only one out there thinks Skyrim was Overated.
#14 Posted by chaoz-king (5955 posts) -
Im glad im not the only one out there thinks Skyrim was Overated. AzatiS
lol it's more of a common thing to think its overrated.
Avatar image for taterfrickintot
#15 Posted by taterfrickintot (2851 posts) -
[QUOTE="AzatiS"]Im glad im not the only one out there thinks Skyrim was Overated. chaoz-king

this. skyrim haters are this last/this year's version of the GTA IV haters.
#16 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -

No game's world this gen comes close to how alive and beautiful Skyrim's world is. Its a refreshing change from a gen that has consisted of a glut of sequels pumped out every year. The game deserves all the praise and Game Of The Year awards it has received

/thread

reach3
Haaaaah. No Even an ASCII game like Dwarf Fortress has a far more 'alive' world then every Bethesda game mashed together, and as far as triple A games go, I'd point at STALKER which actually has far better a.i., and governing world a.i.
#17 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
[QUOTE="AzatiS"]Im glad im not the only one out there thinks Skyrim was Overated. chaoz-king

That would be the sinking ship of bad Skyrim jokes during the post release overblown gushing. It's a good game, with holes. Naturally well after the stupid gushing, those start to come out of the woodwork - just like with each Bethesda game before it. The writing is terrible, for instance.
#18 Posted by Firebird-5 (2848 posts) -
well, i agree with a lot of the criticism, but i still found the game to be really fun
#19 Posted by rasengan2552 (4981 posts) -

It is overrated.

I noticed that the community for Skyrim is full of weirdos as well. Everybody plays with nude mods.

#20 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

/thread

reach3

In terms of massive open world games Skyrim has the best world, followed by Red Dead Redemption.

#21 Posted by Maroxad (14463 posts) -

Skyrim is by no means the same old, same old. There were PLENTY of changes and improvements from Oblivion (of course, it would be kinda difficult to not improve greatly from Oblivion).

I may not like it, but I wouldnt consider it overrated. After all, I can see why people like it.

Edit: In my definition Skyrim is NOT a Sandbox. Open world perhaps, but the world is too static and the player's influence in this world is too limited. There are scripted quests which can change the world somewhat (the civil war), but you can not interact with the world the devs might not have thought of.

#22 Posted by millerlight89 (18658 posts) -

BlindM0nk
The Witcher 2 is a massive let down. No where near as good as the first, other than graphics and maybe voice acting.
#23 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -

Skyrim is by no means the same old, same old. There were PLENTY of changes and improvements from Oblivion (of course, it would be kinda difficult to not improve greatly from Oblivion).

I may not like it, but I wouldnt consider it overrated. After all, I can see why people like it.

Edit: In my definition Skyrim is NOT a Sandbox. Open world perhaps, but the world is too static and the player's influence in this world is too limited. There are scripted quests which can change the world somewhat (the civil war), but you can not interact with the world the devs might not have thought of.

Maroxad
It's a sandbox, and a far more reactive one then the likes of Saints Row and GTA to be honest. It's not an enormously reactive one though, that's very true, but honestly - not many games are.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
#24 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (10532 posts) -
Skyrim is an awesome game and I think it was executed better than the previous Bethesda games this gen. I have an issue with people calling it the game of the gen though. It just isn't. It's a fun, forgettable distraction. Worth every penny and then some, but I will remember the Bethesda games of this gen as one homogeneous lump
#25 Posted by dream431ca (10165 posts) -

Skyrim is my GOTY. Right along side Morrowind as the best Elder Scrolls game.

#26 Posted by meetroid8 (21152 posts) -
I agree with the overrated part, but not because it is the "same old same old". Its problems are the endless linear dungeons and static world.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
#27 Posted by ristactionjakso (6118 posts) -

I hate how broken it is.

#28 Posted by iamrob7 (2138 posts) -

I absolutely loved Skyrim for about 2 weeks, played a ridiculous amount of it. Then suddenly one day it became incredibly boring. Haven't gone back since. I have the same experience with every Bethesda game to some extent. The huge open world is a thrill to explore, once I've explored it things get dull pretty quickly.

#29 Posted by millerlight89 (18658 posts) -

I absolutely loved Skyrim for about 2 weeks, played a ridiculous amount of it. Then suddenly one day it became incredibly boring. Haven't gone back since. I have the same experience with every Bethesda game to some extent. The huge open world is a thrill to explore, once I've explored it things get dull pretty quickly.

iamrob7
No way, you explore the world fully and get tired of it? Who would of thunk it. Sounds an awfully lot like you burn yourself out, which happens to all games, and it really your own fault.
#30 Posted by ispeakfact (5317 posts) -
It's a good game, but seriously Bethesda, fix your broken fp melee combat.
#31 Posted by DraugenCP (8485 posts) -

Seriously, this is getting really old really quickly.

#32 Posted by XVision84 (13985 posts) -

I disagree, Skyrim expands upon Oblivion SO much. Keep in mind that Oblivion had the same animations, and the exact same spell effects/animations for each elemental category, and those are just combat improvements. Skyrim feels very different from Oblivion, and I like the fact that there's a lot to do.

#33 Posted by GOGOGOGURT (4470 posts) -

The word overrated is overrated.

Typically great games get called overrated.

#34 Posted by percech (5237 posts) -
This thread is highly overrated. It's same old same old.
#35 Posted by shreshto (481 posts) -

Tc butthurt because it doesnt have guns.

#36 Posted by RyuRanVII (4254 posts) -

It's overrated indeed. But nobody can deny it's also a big improvement over Oblivion and Fallout 3 in many areas.

#37 Posted by gamebreakerz__ (5120 posts) -
The storyline is boring and it's too noob friendly (without the option to make it less so). It's a very good game but still can't top Morrowind.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
#38 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (44816 posts) -
You're complaining about too much content? Lol console peasants.
#39 Posted by gamebreakerz__ (5120 posts) -
[QUOTE="BlindM0nk"]

millerlight89
The Witcher 2 is a massive let down. No where near as good as the first, other than graphics and maybe voice acting.

Not even combat? The combat in TW1 was awful, while I find TW2 to be quite good.
#40 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4735 posts) -

NOTE: I've posted this to about 4 different threads since Skyrim came out. I will continue to until Skyrim is dead. No one take it personally, I just love it when my predictions come true.

You know what, I was right. Here is a prediction I made on an old Skyrim board when the game came out. (FYI, I love Skyrim, this was something I made towards haters.)

"Also, here is my prediction:

In 2 to 3 years, most of you will have beaten Skyrim. By that point, or hell, maybe even earlier, more than half of you will have started picking it apart (on different levels, however). The most RPG purist among you will find yourself hating the game at some point do to an ever growing list of minor annoyances that ruin the experience for you, like "the fighting is repetitive", "there is no challenge", "the sidequests suck", and other things. I know people who already hate the duel-wielding aspect beacuse "it makes fighting cheap". I'm not saying your opinions are stupid for any reason, I'm just saying we will all eventually get bored of the games and move on. Everyone can agree Daggerfall had annoying map systems, overly-complicated chat system, and I personally hated the overabundance of useless information. Morrowind was glitchy as sh*t and the combat system was severely flawed. Oblivion has annoying level scaling, and the world was pretty dull and simple. Skyrim, already, the character creation isn't as fun as Oblivions, plus the dragon powers makes combat a bit cheap for me.

All 4 of these games were amazing when they released, Skyrim still in that phase, but they all eventually age and we begin to realize how flawed they all are."

And like clockwork, It happened, like with the other 3. People will hate the game, people will get annoyed or bored with it, and still others will hold it to their impossibly high standards founded by JRPG's and their confusing-ass combat systems, stat systems, quest sytems, and everything else-systems (because EVERYTHING is a system :D). Point is, it's a fun game, people who play JRPG's exclusively opinions don't matter in the slightest on this matter (because they bash the game for, basically, not being japanese), and it will eventually get overshadowed by the next Elder Scrolls. End of Story.

WiiCubeM1

#41 Posted by themajormayor (25500 posts) -

Great hiking simulator. Now great combat simulator that's Demon's Souls.

#42 Posted by nchan (1059 posts) -
This game bores me to death but then I only played it for five hours.
#43 Posted by Planeforger (17290 posts) -

It's an entertaining game with quite a few improvements over Oblivion and Fallout 3 (although also some backwards steps in terms of complexity, spell variety, enemy variety, etc), but yes, it is overrated.

I wouldn't say that it excels in any area - it is certainly a very flawed game, both in design choices and in tecnical bugs, of which there are countless.
The world is static, the choices are extremely limited, the writing is uninspired, the dragon fights are downright boring, the skills are painfully unbalanced, the combat unsatisfying, the main story is anticlimatic, the side stories are frustrating, the dungeons are far too linear...the list goes on. And on. And on.

So...I wouldn't even call it a great game. It's a mess, really - Bethesda are amazingly incompetent at *so* many things. But it is an entertaining game (whether intentionally or not), and its absolutely worth its price.

Is it the Game of the Year/Gen? Hell no - it probably wouldn't even be in my top five of the year, or my top 25 RPGs of the gen.
Is it fun? Sure, I guess so.

#44 Posted by savagetwinkie (7981 posts) -
[QUOTE="reach3"]

/thread

skrat_01
Haaaaah. No Even an ASCII game like Dwarf Fortress has a far more 'alive' world then every Bethesda game mashed together, and as far as triple A games go, I'd point at STALKER which actually has far better a.i., and governing world a.i.

stalker's ai was complete crap,
#45 Posted by Planeforger (17290 posts) -

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]I'd point at STALKER which actually has far better a.i., and governing world a.i.savagetwinkie
stalker's ai was complete crap,

That doesn't make his statement any less true.

#46 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

You know what's overrated? The amount of Skyrim/Dark Souls/Witcher 2 threads that have been popping up lately.

Seriously...is this like a really slow news day?

#47 Posted by themajormayor (25500 posts) -

You know what's overrated? The amount of Skyrim/Dark Souls/Witcher 2 threads that have been popping up lately.

Seriously...is this like a really slow news day?

Goyoshi12
Yeah did the Vita start selling or something?
Avatar image for heeeeeeeeeweeee
#48 Posted by heeeeeeeeeweeee (2083 posts) -

Nobody will ever top hexen deathmatch and cooperative when it comes to middle ages type game.

#49 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6364 posts) -

"Too much to do" is a nice problem to have.

Its good if you only have that one game and spending alot of time with it.

If you have a huge backlog of games, its not so good, because your backlog will not get finished for a loooooong time.

Right now I'm playing Oblivion, jesus christ this game is huge.

I can't imagine Skyrim being even bigger.

First clear your backlog THEN play Skyrim.

Otherwise you will be frustrated.

#50 Posted by Tikeio (5332 posts) -

One problem that mainly annoys me and this more of my own opinon is that there is TOO MUCH to do in the game which a lot of times leaves sitting there thinking and deciding what I should do next.

ToastRider11

That's my only problem with the game. Skyrim just feels a bit overwhelming at times, to the point where I don't want to do anything in-game.

Even afterfinishing the main quest line andputting 60+ hours intoSkyrim, I feel like I haven't made any "progress" at all in the game. I never felt like that in Oblivion/FO3/FONV though.

It's pretty odd. :?

I took a break from Skyrim a while ago. But with FFXIII-2 coming out in only 9 days, I might not fully get back into Skyrim for some time.