Single-Player Only Games on the Rise

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Great news. Hope more devs will concentrate on the single player campaign, and not have to split the resources to also focus on multiplayer

More games that somewhat meld the campaign with optional mp like the Souls games...would be most welcome.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#52 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

@cainetao11 said:

@misterpmedia said:

Hot source.

The number of console titles released with multiplayer is decreasing, says game industry market research firm EEDAR.

Speaking at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, EEDAR co-founder Geoffrey Zatkin revealed that in 2013 the percentage of games with no multiplayer support rose to around 46 per cent of all released retail titles. That’s the highest figure since 2009.

The generally perceived notion is that publishers are seeking to increase the longevity and market appeal of traditionally single-player franchises by tacking-on competitive multiplayer modes. However, that trend seems to be on the slide.

Meanwhile, the prevalence of co-op is on the rise. In 2013, around 38 per cent of retail console titles featured co-op play, up from 29 per cent the previous year. In 2007 that figure was just 18 per cent.

Honest to god hope this keeps up. The only online trend is definitely worrying and I just don't see how it can be as profitable than a completely offline game or at least releasing an offline portion of a game that everyone can go out, buy and play and not just those with high speed fibre etc. Wouldn't only online reduce sales and profit straight out the gate by cutting out offline folk/bad internet users? Baffling.

Agreed. MP has its place, no doubt. But not even just those lacking the internet, there are still so many gamers that love great SP games. I am one of them. I prefer SP. And I think devs enjoy the creativeness of making them.

Let's hope so. I remember reading something about assassins creed eventually going online only. It's worrying stuff like that I don't like hearing.

F*** that!! Then they will want you to pay monthly fees like Elder's Scroll Online. Bah!! I hate when a single player game is forced to be online. That kind of happened with Uncharted 2. I didn't think mutiplayer online was ever needed for that game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#53 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Good, I prefer SP games anyways.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@blackace said:

@misterpmedia said:

@cainetao11 said:

@misterpmedia said:

Hot source.

The number of console titles released with multiplayer is decreasing, says game industry market research firm EEDAR.

Speaking at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, EEDAR co-founder Geoffrey Zatkin revealed that in 2013 the percentage of games with no multiplayer support rose to around 46 per cent of all released retail titles. That’s the highest figure since 2009.

The generally perceived notion is that publishers are seeking to increase the longevity and market appeal of traditionally single-player franchises by tacking-on competitive multiplayer modes. However, that trend seems to be on the slide.

Meanwhile, the prevalence of co-op is on the rise. In 2013, around 38 per cent of retail console titles featured co-op play, up from 29 per cent the previous year. In 2007 that figure was just 18 per cent.

Honest to god hope this keeps up. The only online trend is definitely worrying and I just don't see how it can be as profitable than a completely offline game or at least releasing an offline portion of a game that everyone can go out, buy and play and not just those with high speed fibre etc. Wouldn't only online reduce sales and profit straight out the gate by cutting out offline folk/bad internet users? Baffling.

Agreed. MP has its place, no doubt. But not even just those lacking the internet, there are still so many gamers that love great SP games. I am one of them. I prefer SP. And I think devs enjoy the creativeness of making them.

Let's hope so. I remember reading something about assassins creed eventually going online only. It's worrying stuff like that I don't like hearing.

F*** that!! Then they will want you to pay monthly fees like Elder's Scroll Online. Bah!! I hate when a single player game is forced to be online. That kind of happened with Uncharted 2. I didn't think mutiplayer online was ever needed for that game.

I don't mind if multiplayer is tacked on after the single player is finished and refined. That was ND just cashing in on an extra feature I guess. The gameplay for multiplayer was there but I guess there wasn't really a need for it. But yes hearing that about AC and ubi saying something a long the lines of that most of their future titles will mostly become online experiences is something that makes me sick. Even if I eventually got nice reliable fancy fast fibre I still don't like the thought of my experience relying upon a connection that could be so easily broken leaving me with a hole in my pocket for the troubles.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

I hope this continues until MP and SP games get balanced, I don't mind a good MP match once in a while (even tho they are rare because most MP communities are more toxic than new york city), but the multiplayer experience will NEVER be as rewarding and satisfying as a singleplayer experience or online-co-op

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@misterpmedia said:

Hot source.

..... you realize that article gamespot posted a few weeks back "most profitable games in the industry" are ALL online-only games right?

I think he's talking about console games not mmo's.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@misterpmedia:

I didn't know The Division is multiplayer. That sucks because I was looking forward to that game. I have to say Uncharted is by far one of the best games because it's single player. I play online some but that's one reason I don't like PC gaming to be honest.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#58 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

That's what happens when you try to shove mutiplayer into everything and anything. People get sick of it. It doesn't help matters that virtually every game is just trying to be CoD4. Except Battlefield. God bless you Battlefield.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Good. I'm more into SP games.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 misterpmedia

@RimacBugatti said:

@misterpmedia:

I didn't know The Division is multiplayer. That sucks because I was looking forward to that game. I have to say Uncharted is by far one of the best games because it's single player. I play online some but that's one reason I don't like PC gaming to be honest.

Yeah lol. I don't think there's an option to play single player offline if that's what you're thinking. You may be able to play alone on it but you'll still have to be connected to play it. Sucks.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#61  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

How many of the said games are smaller projects made by independent teams? The rise of low budget small developer teams probably corresponds with this trend. I'm pretty sure most large blockbusters will be taking an online integrated approach this generation; that seems to be the push from both Sony and Microsoft.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

definitely hope this trend continues, I'm sure people will complain that you don't get value on SP games. While that may be true you may not play it as long compared to MP games, some of the best games I've ever played are SP games. Where dev's have the opportunity to craft something special and really immerse the gamer in the world of the game through story telling, graphics etc..

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@misterpmedia:

Gaming is really getting complicated theses days!

radiioaktivman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 radiioaktivman
Member since 2014 • 90 Posts

I love games like Gears of War 1-3 where you can play Coop MP. There was a spot in both of those that I could not get post after spending an hour and reading online forums and guides. In both cases, I switched to Coop and got past the problem spot in a few minutes. More than one forum stated that the level was designed for Coop.

Halo 2 MP was legendary, and I loved the single player as well.

Games like Gears and the Halo lend them selves well to having both, games like Tomb Raider and at least one of the CoD games do not need to have both. TR is great for SP, and recent CoD(black ops) games could probably do well with just MP.

I love SP games, and I don't mind the game having multiplayer where it makes sense. The same is in true in the reverse, if a game's primary appeal is MP, don't add a half-baked SP campaign just to appeal to the SP market.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

I loved Fallout 3 and Skyrim last gen, but I also loved Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and Starcraft 2 multiplayer. I like a good mix of both...

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Cranler said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@misterpmedia said:

Hot source.

..... you realize that article gamespot posted a few weeks back "most profitable games in the industry" are ALL online-only games right?

It excluded MMOs.

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 XboxStache
Member since 2013 • 1530 Posts

@Heil68 said:

lmao. Noob.

quakke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#68 quakke
Member since 2006 • 225 Posts

They're on the rise because shallow games like CoD have done quite much in their power to absolutely destroy multiplayer, therefore mp nowadays is pretty much completely overrated.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Awesome news, sounds like people are finally seeing through the publishers tacked on multiplayer bullshit.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@Cranler said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@misterpmedia said:

Hot source.

It excluded MMOs.

What games?

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Good

Games should be mp or sp only,that way they can focus on one thing only and not half ass both.

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 steamistrash
Member since 2014 • 431 Posts

single player only=rip off for full priced game.

unreal 2 the awakening got a poor review because it was single player only.

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

Was this market research paid by Sony (remember most of their upcoming games are single-player only since they cant lose much money)

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@roler42 said:

multiplayer experience will NEVER be as rewarding and satisfying as a singleplayer experience or online-co-op

think about it this way; would you rather play Battlefield conquest match against bots or human players?

i think exactly the opposite. there is always a pattern how you can beat AI in singleplayer games, but human players are unpredictable, so i think it's far more rewarding to beat other players in online games.

that said, i absolutely enjoy singleplayer games too.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 misterpmedia

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

Was this market research paid by Sony (remember most of their upcoming games are single-player only since they cant lose much money)

Take that tinfoil hat off.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#76 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Good. MP got way too mainstream, boring and safe since bro gamers took over.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

@groowagon: That's a good point, but at the same time it gives more grounds to my stance on it: the fun of multiplayer depends greatly on the kind of people you are playing with, all the innovation in the world is useless if the online community is terrible

MrXboxOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 MrXboxOne
Member since 2013 • 799 Posts

@Heil68 said:

All PS fans do. PSN is crap.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

I don't see it. I'm seeing the opposite. GTA, one of the most popular franchises now got mp too. Another big launch, titanfall was mp only. Games like dota and lol are extremely popular. Two future big titles, destiny and division are mp too, CoD still sells, minecraft is mainly played online. Wth is that article talking about?

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#80 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

That's fine with me. I love single player more. The only multiplayer titles I even play are Battlefiled, war thunder, warframe and EDF! 2 of which are free to play, the other is co-op and Battiefield is the worlds finest multiplayer series to exist after the previous kinds - Quake and UT stopped coming out after the rise of the 360 banished them to the depths.. :( I do miss me some arena based Quake and UT... wtf!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

Damn right it better be on the rise, Thank God!

I'm a 360/PS3 owner and have rarely played MP on either of these consoles.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 misterpmedia

@XboxStache said:

@Heil68 said:

lmao. Noob.

Tell us how you really feel.

@mrxboxone said:

@Heil68 said:

More people are playing the popular multiplats on PS systems currently. Try again.

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 XboxStache

@misterpmedia said:

@XboxStache said:

@Heil68 said:

lmao. Noob.

@mrxboxone said:

@Heil68 said:

More people are playing the popular multiplats on PS systems currently. Try again.

Was that supposed to be funny?

Honestly, no one cares about single player any more when games play out like a 3-4 hour movie, and multiplayer will always be the definitive and non-linear experience. (with the exception of bad company 1 and 2) Single player games are developed for weaboos and rage quitters that lack the skill or patience to actually play MP.

Bottom line, all games should be multiplayer with an optional full offline multiplayer bots mode for noobs. How's that?

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By misterpmedia

@XboxStache said:

@misterpmedia said:

@XboxStache said:

@Heil68 said:

lmao. Noob.

@mrxboxone said:

@Heil68 said:

Honestly, no one cares about single player any more when games play out like a 3-4 hour movie, and multiplayer will always be the definitive and non-linear experience. (with the exception of bad company 1 and 2) Single player games are developed for weaboos and rage quitters that lack the skill or patience to actually play MP.

Bottom line, all games should be multiplayer with an optional full offline multiplayer bots mode for noobs. How's that?

Did you laugh?

Your opinion is niche, and I like that. :)

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#85  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Awesome. Singleplayer games should remain singleplayer games, without shoe horned multiplayer.

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 XboxStache

@misterpmedia said:

@XboxStache said:

@misterpmedia said:

@XboxStache said:

@Heil68 said:

lmao. Noob.

@mrxboxone said:

@Heil68 said:

Did you laugh?

...Honestly...I giggled a little. But my opinion=fact.

My bros on XBL discuss this all the time.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 misterpmedia

@XboxStache said:

@misterpmedia said:

@XboxStache said:

@misterpmedia said:

@XboxStache said:

@Heil68 said:

lmao. Noob.

@mrxboxone said:

@Heil68 said:

Did you laugh?

...Honestly...I giggled a little. But my opinion=fact.

My bros on XBL discuss this all the time.

Good, I'm glad.

As for the bold though:

uh uh uhhh

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Local Multiplayer is at an all time low :(.

Back to you, Bob.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

Naughty dog game's all have multiplayer in them now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

@XboxStache said:

@misterpmedia said:

@XboxStache said:

@Heil68 said:

lmao. Noob.

@mrxboxone said:

@Heil68 said:

You must have started gaming 10 years ago. Teenie-Tweenie ADHD twitchers such as yourself are the reasons why the SP have suffered.

LOL at skills to play MP. Let me guess, you're probably the same noobs who thinks Auto-Aim on console FPS makes them "hardcore", LOL

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

I love single player games because I'm a fan of RPGs and adventure games with great atmosphere.