Simple Question. Which is best RESIDENT EVIL Video Game still?

#1 Posted by carljohnsonCJ (378 posts) -

No RESIDENT EVIL beats RESIDENT EVIL 4. Yet.

Well?

#2 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25136 posts) -

RE2 remake does.

#3 Posted by schu (10034 posts) -

@carljohnsoncj: RE2 remake, Code Veronica (yes i know)

#4 Edited by Cloud_imperium (14920 posts) -

I'd say Resident Evil 7 is definitely the best followed by Resident Evil 2: Remake. The problem with the latter is short campaign. However grounded plot, suspense and presentation makes up for it. Thing I like about Resident Evil 7 is its longer length and its found footage format which reminds of movies like VHS, Blair Witch and Grave Encounters etc.

#5 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25136 posts) -
@Cloud_imperium said:

I'd say Resident Evil 7 is definitely the best followed by Resident Evil 2: Remake. The problem with the latter is short campaign. However grounded plot, suspense and presentation makes up for it. Thing I like about Resident Evil 7 is its longer length and its found footage format which reminds of movies like VHS, Blair Witch and Grave Encounters etc.

Personally, I see it the other way around. RE7, while it was a pretty good game, I tried to play through it again and just didn't have the patience for it. RE2, on the other hand, I'm on my 3rd playthrough with.

#6 Posted by Chutebox (44379 posts) -

Between 1, 2, and CV. Hard time choosing for me. I haven't played remake yet

#7 Edited by Black96Z (808 posts) -

If Resident Evil 4 is the best, then why is it only the 3rd best selling to date?

RE4 took the franchise into the wrong direction. Resident Evil needs zombies.

#8 Posted by I_P_Daily (11033 posts) -

Code Veronica

#9 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1180 posts) -

Both remakes are tied for me.

#10 Edited by uninspiredcup (32191 posts) -

Resident Evil 2 remake, with the caveat that the original RE2 still did some things better.

The opening city section for example is complete poo-poo compared to the original Resident Evil 2. Not really keen on the Birkin designs either. The duel campaigns diverse more in the original. And the default OST is largely wank compared to the originals.

Also the only main black character in the game dies instantly. Did Liam Neeson write this?

#11 Posted by AtariKidX (7055 posts) -

Resident Evil 2 remake is the best.

..............i hope for a Resident Evil 3 remake

#12 Posted by SOedipus (11359 posts) -

4 is still the best. Resident Evil 2 remake is pretty close. I’m on my fourth playthrough.

#13 Posted by warmblur (1963 posts) -

I don't think RE4 will ever be topped the gunplay and village levels are still so good after all these years. RE2 Remake is a close second place gunplay feels really good but still I prefer RE4 combat over it.

#14 Edited by lundy86_4 (52363 posts) -

RE2 Remake blows RE4 out of the water for me, and I loved that game. I still heavily prefer dealing with the T-Virus/G-Virus incarnates, as opposed to the switch to Las Plagas.

Now, if we get a Nemesis remake, or dare I say it... A Code Veronica remake, then my opinion could very much change.

#15 Posted by pelvist (7329 posts) -

RE4 is one of the worst RE Games. RE2 was great though, I think its my new favorite.

#16 Posted by Archangel3371 (27357 posts) -

Haven’t finished Resident Evil 2 Remake yet but it really amazing so far so it may end up being that one. Right now though it’s a toss up between original RE2 and RE4.

#17 Posted by gameofthering (11252 posts) -

Code Veronica

#18 Posted by AJStyles (638 posts) -

RE4>RE5>The rest suck.

I value controls/gameplay and these have the best out of all of them.

#19 Posted by schu (10034 posts) -

@gameofthering said:

Code Veronica

I had this on my list as well. I didn't realize it was such a divisive game.

#20 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9428 posts) -

RE7 by far. its most atmospheric and creepy game in series.

everything else is trash. the early games were tank control games, RE4 absolutely suck and one of the most overrated game ever. 5 and 6 also suck.

Remake 2 is better than than those but its ok.

#21 Posted by TOOLFRENZY (561 posts) -

I always thought Nemesis had a certain level of suspense that the others didn’t. Code Veronica a close second for me.

#22 Posted by SaltSlasher (946 posts) -

The thing is, every Resident Evil is good.

#23 Posted by Jshoelace (845 posts) -

My favourite is still the original but the best is probably the Resi 1 remake imo.

#24 Posted by Jag85 (13248 posts) -

1. RE4

2. RE2

3. RE1

#25 Posted by uninspiredcup (32191 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

It's designed to be played 4 times.

#26 Edited by Cloud_imperium (14920 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

It mostly plays the same. I've finished it twice (once as Leon and once as Claire). Decided to do a second run as Leon but stopped playing it because you had to complete same objectives just from different perspective. Sooner or later you end up running in same corridors, so unless you're a mega fan of it, I didn't see the point. Campaign is definitely short if you are planning to play once or twice instead of 4 times.

#27 Posted by uninspiredcup (32191 posts) -

@ajstyles said:

RE4>RE5>The rest suck.

I value controls/gameplay and these have the best out of all of them.

I can't really see that to be honest.

For example. in RE4, the old trick and default gameplay mode is to Shoot head for stragger + kick + slash. This can be done in a loop for almost the entire game regardless of difficulty.

In RE2, there is no auto-kick on stagger, and if you do manage to down an enemy, the knifes themselves are a resource that deteriorate through use, with enemies unaffected interrupting the slashes.

Right off the bat there the developers have tackled a very obvious cheese tactic most players picked up on.

#28 Edited by uninspiredcup (32191 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

It mostly plays the same. I've finished it twice (once as Leon and once as Claire). Decided to do a second run as Leon but stopped playing it because you had to complete same objectives just from different perspective. Sooner or later you end up running in same corridors, so unless you're a mega fan of it, I didn't see the point. Campaign is definitely short if you are planning to play once or twice instead of 4 times.

It uses Metriodvania type design. The idea is to backtrack in order to progress.

Although I agree to an extent, Claire has a different opening, paths, different weapons and 2 different bosses along with some re-placement of enemies The original RE2 had far more differentiation. It also lacks a zapping system which they should have expanded upon than dump.

But there is still enough differentiation there to justify at least 2 play-through with each sitting about 7 hours if you're playing standard, which isn't exactly short.

Aside from the 4 play-through we have Hunk/Tufo and unlockables as well as 3 (free) DLC's incoming.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#29 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (5672 posts) -

Still Resident Evil 4, my friends.

#30 Posted by Random_Matt (3842 posts) -

My controller must of been broken, swear RE4 was a wonky mess and lacked responsiveness.

#31 Posted by bussinrounds (3097 posts) -

Give me the original REmake over any of these over the shoulder games.

If they're gonna go that route, they might as well just go 1st person like in 7. (I heard the enemy variety blew in that game though and the 2nd half was a big letdown compared to the first)

#32 Posted by ProtossRushX (5203 posts) -

Resident Evil 2 Original + Remake