Sim Racing or Kart Racers? which sub-genre will be more relevant for PS5/Xbox Scarlett's library of racing games?

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1374 posts) 10 days, 17 hours ago

Poll: Sim Racing or Kart Racers? which sub-genre will be more relevant for PS5/Xbox Scarlett's library of racing games? (16 votes)

Sim Racing 50%
Kart Racers 50%

Hello there racers in System Wars board!

This is going to be one of my early speculations for PS5 and Xbox Scarlett which are both going to launch by holiday 2020.

Question: Which 2 sub-genre of racing games in between Sim racing and Kart Racers that you would reckon it will be more fitted for PS5/Xbox Scarlett's library of racing games in your opinion?

#1 Posted by BassMan (10038 posts) -

Seriously.... Who gives a fuk?

#2 Posted by DaVillain- (36069 posts) -

More then anything else, "Kart Racers" are more needed for next-gen and while race sims are good and all, they overstayed their welcome this gen, too many and not enough kart racing games this gen alone.

#3 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1374 posts) -

@davillain- said:

More then anything else, "Kart Racers" are more needed for next-gen and while race sims are good and all, they overstayed their welcome this gen, too many and not enough kart racing games this gen alone.

Well pretty much that I heard from most kart racing fans across the internet, complaining that PS4 and Xbox One isn't getting any major kart racers until the announcement of Team Sonic Racing and Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled.

The kart racers what PS4/Xbox One gets:

• 1st Parties:
    • None
  • 3rd Parties:
    • All-Star Fruit-Racing (Multiplatform)
    • Beach Buggy Racing (Multiplatform)
    • Bears Can't Drift? (Shared between PS4 & PC)
    • Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (Multiplatform)
    • Coffin Dodgers (Multiplatform)
    • Nickelodeon Kart Racers (Multiplatform)
    • Obliteracers (Multiplatform)
    • Team Sonic Racing (Multiplatform)
    • VR Karts (Shared between PS4 & PC)

To PS4 and Xbox One owners, instead of begging for their consoles to have kart racers.

Why can't they just buy a Nintendo Switch right now? at least the Switch has one 1st party kart racer: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and third party kart racers including Team Sonic Racing & Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled.

Side note: Back in the Wii and PS3 days, Sony fanboys hates Mario Kart Wii so much and yet why they love Modnation Racers so much? I thought they dislike kart racers in general so what's the point for them getting into Crash Team Racing or Modnation Racers?

#4 Edited by sakaiXx (5316 posts) -

Sony really need to bring mascot war back. The studios sony hired or 3rd party moving away from ninty back then in ps1 era were really creative. They all would make a great crossover in kart racing

#5 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1374 posts) -

@sakaixx said:

Sony really need to bring mascot war back. The studios sony hired or 3rd party moving away from ninty back then in ps1 era were really creative. They all would make a great crossover in kart racing

It's your choice, well do you even like Nintendo Wii U/Switch's Mario Kart 8?

#6 Edited by Litchie (23718 posts) -

Both Forza and Gran Turismo will be much more popular than whatever Mario Kart ripoff they're getting.

#7 Posted by sakaiXx (5316 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18 said:
@sakaixx said:

I dont touch nintendo unless its very specific franchise so fortunately I never played mario kart 8.

#8 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1374 posts) -

@sakaixx said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@sakaixx said:

I dont touch nintendo unless its very specific franchise so fortunately I never played mario kart 8.

Well why not give a try visiting to one of your local game stores and see for the Nintendo Switch demo station so you can try Mario Kart 8 Deluxe demo.

Also have you ever played a single Mario Kart game before?

#9 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1374 posts) -

@Litchie said:

Both Forza and Gran Turismo will be much more popular than whatever Mario Kart ripoff they're getting.

Well I guess that most Xbox and Playstation racing fans would much more prefer sim racers and arcade street racers over kart racers.

But in the other hand, Nintendo fans would mostly prefer kart racers or futuristic racers.

#10 Posted by SecretPolice (35108 posts) -

Sim racing of course and we all know T10 / Playground Games rule the roost. :D

The only kart racing that would be a megaton would be a Diddy Kong Racing 2 but not so much for the kart racing but the real bread and butter, those other awesome, unique MP mini games included. :P

#11 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1374 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

The only kart racing that would be a megaton would be a Diddy Kong Racing 2 but not so much for the kart racing but the real bread and butter, those other awesome, unique MP mini games included. :P

I heard Diddy Kong Racing 64 was supposed to have it's sequel for the Nintendo Gamecube, unveiled back in E3 2001 until when Microsoft acquired Rare in 2002 which caused the sequel to get cancelled.

#12 Posted by SecretPolice (35108 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18 said:
@SecretPolice said:

I heard Diddy Kong Racing 64 was supposed to have it's sequel for the Nintendo Gamecube, unveiled back in E3 2001 until when Microsoft acquired Rare in 2002 which caused the sequel to get cancelled.

Yeah, there is some weird gray area with MS acquiring Rare from Nintendo concerning a couple of Rare's IP's that prevent MS from using them and I think DKR is one of those. Dunno but back in the day my kids, other family members and myself had a blast with 4 player split screen DKR. Good times. :)

#13 Posted by Litchie (23718 posts) -
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@Litchie said:

Well I guess that most Xbox and Playstation racing fans would much more prefer sim racers and arcade street racers over kart racers.

But in the other hand, Nintendo fans would mostly prefer kart racers or futuristic racers.

Yup.

Also, Nintendo fans don't expect realistic sim racers on their underpowered hardware when there's much more powerful consoles available that racing sim devs can work better with. Even though if Switch would get sim racers all of a sudden, they probably wouldn't sell, since it doesn't make sense to put those kind of games on Switch in the first place.

So yeah, Nintendo fans "prefer" kart racers I guess, since they're Nintendo fans. But it's not like they have much of a choice.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan myself, and I'd take a Mario Kart over Forza any day. So in my case it's true.

#14 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1374 posts) -

@Litchie said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@Litchie said:

Yup.

Also, Nintendo fans don't expect realistic sim racers on their underpowered hardware when there's much more powerful consoles available that racing sim devs can work better with. Even though if Switch would get sim racers all of a sudden, they probably wouldn't sell, since it doesn't make sense to put those kind of games on Switch in the first place.

So yeah, Nintendo fans "prefer" kart racers I guess, since they're Nintendo fans. But it's not like they have much of a choice.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan myself, and I'd take a Mario Kart over Forza any day. So in my case it's true.

Similar on how Sony and Microsoft released their first party kart racer as answer to Nintendo's Mario Kart Wii back in 2010, Modnation Racers (PS3) and Kinect Joy Ride (360) respectively.

• During E3 2009, Sony and Microsoft announces their first party kart racer Modnation Racers and Kinect Joy-Ride; as they were hoping to attract more people to buy their console.
  • After Modnation Racers and Kinect Joy Ride released onto stores then it turned out that they don't very sell well during their first week meaning both doesn't seem really to appeal to most Playstation & Xbox racing fans.
  • In 2012, Sony and Microsoft re-released their first party kart racer; Modnation Racers: Road Trip (PS Vita Western Launch Title) and Joy Ride Turbo (Xbox Live Arcade Title) respectively.
    • Yet they both got mixed reviews plus feels shallow compared to Nintendo 3DS's Mario Kart 7 in terms of gameplay.
    • Sony's last release of their first party kart racer was LittleBigPlanet Karting (PS3) then this doesn't seem to appeal to any Playstation racing fans again.
  • After the PS4 and Xbox One console being unveiled back in E3 2013, Sony and Microsoft appears that they killed off their first party kart racers and rather focus on developing their first party sim racing instead.
  • Currently Sony and Microsoft doesn't seem to have any plans to make new or bring first party kart racer IPs back.
  • Modnation Racers and Joy Ride became forgotten kart racing IPs.

For Nintendo Switch, I guess why some third party developers like Eden Games, Milestone and Kylotonn wanted to bring realistic/sim racing games to the console; probably to them they think it will attract racing fans to buy the Switch.

Anyways for Nintendo, they better bring F-Zero (Futuristic Racing) franchise back as soon as possible.

#15 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1374 posts) -

@sakaixx: 18 hours later, no answer.

Repeating my question: Have you even play any kart racers before?

#16 Posted by sakaiXx (5316 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18 said:

Sigh, I did mention I avoid nintendo made game unless its very specific franchise.Yes I do, my last real investment in kart game was Mod Nation Racer and my all time fav Kart game was Digimon Racing on GBA.

#17 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1374 posts) -

@sakaixx said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:

Sigh, I did mention I avoid nintendo made game unless its very specific franchise.Yes I do, my last real investment in kart game was Mod Nation Racer and my all time fav Kart game was Digimon Racing on GBA.

Okay now I got it.

For me if I see any kart racers releases onto PS5 and Xbox Scarlett, no matter if it's 1st party or 3rd party I will avoid them.

I'd rather play sim racers (Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, Rallisport Challenge, DiRT, WRC & Formula 1) or arcade street racers (Forza Horizon, Project Gotham Racing, Test Drive, Burnout, Need For Speed, Blur & Midtown Madness) way over any kart racers.

#18 Edited by sakaiXx (5316 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18: Yep, that just meant we have confidence in the genre on that platform. I avoid nintendo games for very separate reasons though, I just never liked nintendo mascots and found nintendo games more of the same, very bland and relying more on brand recognition. Mario & co is no no for me.

#19 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1374 posts) -

@BassMan: I exactly want Xbox Scarlett and Playstation 5 to have sim racers way more than kart racers in their library.

#20 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1374 posts) -

@sakaixx said:

@mclarenmaster18: Yep, that just meant we have confidence in the genre on that platform. I avoid nintendo games for very separate reasons though, I just never liked nintendo mascots and found nintendo games more of the same, very bland and relying more on brand recognition. Mario & co is no no for me.

So are you expecting Switch to have more anime style looking games right?

#21 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

Kart Racers by a lot...

Sim... has many issues.

#22 Posted by sakaiXx (5316 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18: not really. I love jrpg but I prefer them on ps4 where I can hunt trophies. For switch, I just hope AA and AAA 3rd party would commit more into new games instead of releasing last gen ports. For people like me who dont play indies and most nintendo games, its a pretty meh system.

#23 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1374 posts) -

@raining51 said:

Kart Racers by a lot...

Sim... has many issues.

Can you sort out the issues with Sim racing?

To me I don't have many problems with sim racing games.