Shuntaro Furukawa officially replaces Tatsumi Kimishima as Nintendo’s next president

This topic is locked from further discussion.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

Source

A few months ago, Tatsumi Kimishima announced that he would be stepping down as president of Nintendo. He had also named Shuntaro Furukawa as his successor.

During the company’s 78th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders today, Furukawa was officially named Nintendo’s new president. The following comments from both Furukawa and Kimishima:

Kimishima

“I was appointed president due to the sudden passing of our former president, but due to the support of a great deal of good people – including shareholders – the Switch was released without a hitch. I don’t think I could retire at a better time. Thank you very much.”

Furukawa

“I will now be taking office as president and will serve as such at all future Board of Directors meetings. As a company, we will continue to change with the times, but no matter what we will continue to be a company that incorporates flexibility and ingenuity into the entertainment we produce – and continue to be devoted to making people smile.”

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

Oh No!. The ship is going down.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

dooomed doooomed i tells ya

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

More mobile shit.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

And no foreigner is able to spot the difference!

(those folk all look the same to us!)

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

“I will now be taking office as president and will serve as such at all future Board of Directors meetings. As a company, we will continue to change with the times, but no matter what we will continue to be a company that incorporates flexibility and ingenuity into the entertainment we produce – and continue to be devoted to making people smile.”

The underlined is simply golden. The sad part is, Nintendo probably genuinely believes it to be true.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#7 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

Kimishima is old enough to retire. Makes sense he would pass it onto someone younger.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19564 Posts

@MirkoS77: Strangely enough, you can't really accuse Nintendo of just doing the same thing over and over again.

The last 'safe' device they released was...what, the GBA? They're frequently rebooting and overhauling their franchises as well, and they've adopted mobile gaming fairly successfully. So they're arguably more adaptive to the times than...say, Sony, who just releases "the same, but slightly more powerful" over and over.*

*Hardware and software-wise, anyway. They're missing a couple of modern online features, but that's a minor nitpick.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

I know absolutely nothing about that guy. Kimishima was around in the GameCube era, so I kinda liked the fact that he was pres, but oh well.

@freedomfreak said:

More mobile shit.

Hope to god not. Any signs of this new guy wanting to pursue that or something?

@henrythefifth said:

What an odd random racist comment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@henrythefifth said:

Really...

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I'm concerned about his drive towards mobile... But who knows maybe they'll get it right and maybe it won't hurt the console side.

@Litchie Yes.

Furukawa — who will replace retiring president Tatsumi Kimishima — said that he expects mobile games to “expand the most” when compared to the company’s other divisions, and that Nintendo believes it can bring in around $910 million. It’s an enormous figure, but it isn’t unreasonable when looking at the data. Fire Emblem Heroes, which is free to play but features fairly extensive microtransaction options, made nearly $300 million in its first year. This is compared to the roughly $60 million of profit Nintendo saw with Super Mario Run, which used a one-time fee model to give players the full list of stages.

“The idea that something will emerge that transforms into something big, in the same manner as game consoles, is the defining motive of the Nintendo business,” Furukawa said in the interview, though he stressed that the company didn’t expect any of its games to become a hit on the scale of Pokémon Go. - digitaltrends.com

It sounds like he's not stupid but it's also a little concerning because mobile games have such low standards. And Nintendo's attempt to raise those standards was basically beaten down by mobile gamers. Seriously mobile gamers have zero standards and I guess we see what becomes of an industry when gamers are 'not entitled'.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Litchie
@KungfuKitten said:

I'm concerned about his drive towards mobile... But who knows maybe they'll get it right and maybe it won't hurt the console side.

@Litchie Yes.

Furukawa — who will replace retiring president Tatsumi Kimishima — said that he expects mobile games to “expand the most” when compared to the company’s other divisions, and that Nintendo believes it can bring in around $910 million. It’s an enormous figure, but it isn’t unreasonable when looking at the data. Fire Emblem Heroes, which is free to play but features fairly extensive microtransaction options, made nearly $300 million in its first year. This is compared to the roughly $60 million of profit Nintendo saw with Super Mario Run, which used a one-time fee model to give players the full list of stages.

“The idea that something will emerge that transforms into something big, in the same manner as game consoles, is the defining motive of the Nintendo business,” Furukawa said in the interview, though he stressed that the company didn’t expect any of its games to become a hit on the scale of Pokémon Go. - digitaltrends.com

It sounds like he's not stupid but it's also a little concerning because mobile games have such low standards. And Nintendo's attempt to raise those standards was basically beaten down by mobile gamers. Seriously mobile gamers have zero standards and I guess we see what becomes of an industry when gamers are 'not entitled'.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

If Super Mario Run launched at $1 it would have made over $1 Billion dollars and been more successful than angry birds.

Nintendo is so insanely stupid that they would charge $10 and only make $60 Million.

It is the biggest mistake they have made in years.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56041 Posts

Bye bye :)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

MNGA

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16  Edited By Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@boycie said:
@henrythefifth said:

Really...

LOL

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#17 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Nintendoomed.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#18 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
@stuff238 said:

If Super Mario Run launched at $1 it would have made over $1 Billion dollars and been more successful than angry birds.

Nintendo is so insanely stupid that they would charge $10 and only make $60 Million.

Nope, the real mistake is going to mobile period.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@nintendoboy16 said:
@stuff238 said:

Not as bad as EA making C&C Mobile. I'm sorry but EA has done far worse then Nintendo when it comes to Mobile.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

Hoping to see some dramatic change in their products and business; actual consoles, a more open development platform, and so forth.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nintendoboy16
@davillain- said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@stuff238 said:

Not as bad as EA making C&C Mobile. I'm sorry but EA has done far worse then Nintendo when it comes to Mobile.

So? Doesn't stop the fact that Nintendo is still doing bad in the mobile arena. And with this new guy wanting to focus more on mobile, well advocates of Nintendo going third party should love him.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#22 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

@nintendoboy16: lol Pokemon is the best mobile game so no just no

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@nintendoboy16 said:

So? Doesn't stop the fact that Nintendo is still doing bad in the mobile arena. And with this new guy wanting to focus more on mobile, well advocates of Nintendo going third party should love him.

Aren't you taking this too seriously? No one's not gonna focus only Mobile games, Nintendo will still make console games exclusive first & foremost. As long as Nintendo has two division one for mobile & the other for game consoles, I have no problem with that.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jag85
@nintendoboy16 said:
@stuff238 said:

Nope. Pokemon Go and Fire Emblem Heroes are big hits on mobile.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LuxuryHeart  Online
Member since 2017 • 1847 Posts
@stuff238 said:

I actually agree. I remember talking to my hair stylist about why X nail salon was doing better than Y nail salon by a long shot. She said it was because X salon was cheaper. X salon charged $20 for a mani pedi while Y salon charged $40. Three people go into X salon while only one person would go into Y salon. At that point, X salon made $60 while Y salon only made $40 in that same time period.

The thing that Y salon and Nintendo had in common was arrogance. They thought that since they were 'better' than the competition, that they would command more money for the same service. At a certain point though, you have to let pride go and make more money. 150 million people downloaded the game initially. If they had charged $1, then that would have been $150 million. Hell probably more, like Pokemon Go levels.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b553a3d72a3b
deactivated-5b553a3d72a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: -2

#26 deactivated-5b553a3d72a3b
Member since 2018 • 191 Posts

So everything is going to stay the same?

Boring...

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Eh, I don't mind NIntendo getting into the mobile market as long as long as It doesn't hurt their console/core software side of things, which so far hasn't really been the case.

Interested to see how this new president does things.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

Time will tell if this is a good or bad thing. I'll be optimistic until shown otherwise. Loving the Switch and the games

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Litchie
@luxuryheart said:
@stuff238 said:

I actually agree. I remember talking to my hair stylist about why X nail salon was doing better than Y nail salon by a long shot. She said it was because X salon was cheaper. X salon charged $20 for a mani pedi while Y salon charged $40. Three people go into X salon while only one person would go into Y salon. At that point, X salon made $60 while Y salon only made $40 in that same time period.

The thing that Y salon and Nintendo had in common was arrogance. They thought that since they were 'better' than the competition, that they would command more money for the same service. At a certain point though, you have to let pride go and make more money. 150 million people downloaded the game initially. If they had charged $1, then that would have been $150 million. Hell probably more, like Pokemon Go levels.

Sometimes Nintendo are indeed really fucking stupid.

I've seen many opportunities for Nintendo to earn more money than they can store, but they just chose not to. I'll never understand what the hell is going on in their HQ.. It's just the japanese pride getting in the way of earning money or something? It's weird, that's for sure.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jag85
@Litchie said:
@luxuryheart said:
@stuff238 said:

I've seen many opportunities for Nintendo to earn more money than they can store, but they just chose not to. I'll never understand what the hell is going on in their HQ.. It's just the japanese pride getting in the way of earning money or something? It's weird, that's for sure.

Nintendo is earning a ton of money from Fire Emblem Heroes, along with a share of the Pokemon Go money. Nintendo's mobile strategy has been a success so far.

Mario Run was a mis-step, because they tried to introduce a console-style premium model to a F2P-dominated mobile market. And so Nintendo went back to F2P with Fire Emblem Heroes.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nintendoboy16
@Jag85 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@stuff238 said:

Pokemon Go - A game struggling for relevancy more than freaking Skyrim and WoW!

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LuxuryHeart  Online
Member since 2017 • 1847 Posts
@Jag85 said:
@Litchie said:
@luxuryheart said:
@stuff238 said:

Nintendo is earning a ton of money from Fire Emblem Heroes, along with a share of the Pokemon Go money. Nintendo's mobile strategy has been a success so far.

Mario Run was a mis-step, because they tried to introduce a console-style premium model to a F2P-dominated mobile market. And so Nintendo went back to F2P with Fire Emblem Heroes.

The problem was arrogance like me and @Litchie pointed out. I think they thought that since that Mario is a way better game than 'mobile trash' and a well known figure, that they could charge $10 for it. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. They should have just charged $.99 for it and called it a day.

I think AAA third party companies, the ones who charged console premium prices, struggled as well.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

All I know is, whoever thought of Nintendo LABO needs to step down

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jag85
@nintendoboy16 said:
@Jag85 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@stuff238 said:

Pokemon Go - A game struggling for relevancy more than freaking Skyrim and WoW!

Recent stats of Pokemon Go:

• 147 million monthly active players (May 2018)
  • $104 million monthly revenue (May 2018)
  • $1 billion annual revenue (2017)

Pokemon Go has a larger monthly active player base than Minecraft (74M) and Fortnite (40M) combined.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jag85
@luxuryheart said:
@Jag85 said:

The problem was arrogance like me and @Litchie pointed out. I think they thought that since that Mario is a way better game than 'mobile trash' and a well known figure, that they could charge $10 for it. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. They should have just charged $.99 for it and called it a day.

I think AAA third party companies, the ones who charged console premium prices, struggled as well.

If they went with your suggestion, then Mario Run would've made a lot less money. There's nothing wrong with the price ($10 is an ideal price point), but with the revenue model. The traditional sales/premium model they use for console games simply doesn't work for mobile games.

The way to go in mobile gaming is F2P. That's the only model that can generate huge profits in mobile gaming. Nintendo learnt their lesson with Mario Run, and made sure to go F2P with Fire Emblem Heroes, which is now raking in lots of cash for Nintendo. If they made a Mario F2P mobile game, then it has the potential to pull in Pokemon Go levels of revenue.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#36  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Now if they could just get rid of Reggie Fils-Aime. I'm getting tired of that guy's mug.