shuntaro furukawa is the new president of nintendo.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

anyone happy? looking for changes?

anyone sad? liked the way things were going?

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I hope and I know it's slim, and the switch is still new but I just want a decent console. Something to really compete with the ps4/xbox not a hybrid. They seem to have gone down hill since the 64.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Looks like he goes to the same hair dresser as Dwight Shrute

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Is he the guy that came up with the idea of selling trash for $70? lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@NathanDrakeSwag: you mean that trash that out sold Dad of War in japan?

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

................lololololol

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts
@boycie said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: you mean that trash that out sold Dad of War in japan?

Too bad it didn't do so in any relevant country in the year 2018.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@NathanDrakeSwag: japan somehow no relevant anymore then. Convenient!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Don't know anything about this guy. What I care to see in any president of a company is an executive that is ambitious, aggressive, wants to be #1 and fights for it. Nintendo, ever since Iwata came into power, seems to want to retreat into their own little corner to play by themselves instead of standing tall with the others. People say Nintendo can't compete, I say nonsense. Nintendo has everything necessary to compete, except leadership that is merciless in its approach and mentality to dominate. I doubt this guy's going to bring such drastic change as this corporate direction seems to be the foundation of how they now operate, but nevertheless, here's to hoping...

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KBFloYd

@MirkoS77 said:

Don't know anything about this guy. What I care to see in any president of a company is and executive that is ambitious, aggressive, wants to be #1 and fights for it. Nintendo, ever since Iwata came into power, seems to want to retreat into their own little corner to play by themselves instead of standing tall with the others. People say Nintendo can't compete, I say nonsense. Nintendo has everything necessary to compete, except leadership that is merciless in its approach and mentality to dominate. I doubt this guy's going to bring such drastic change as this corporate direction seems to be the foundation of how they now operate, but nevertheless, here's to hoping...

they sold 15million last year. they will probably pass the gamecube this year.

so competing how? oh... you mean graphics?

yea that would be nice. but portability is also nice.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56039 Posts

@KBFloYd: Shibata is also leaving NoE to move back to Japan for a global marketing role within the company.

Farewell Kimishima, of all the Nintendo presidents, you were one of them.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

Sounds like a Mortal Kombat character.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

It's a shame that Tatsumi Kimishima is retiring so early into his presidency. Dude did a great job handling the Nintendo Switch launch but he is 68 years old, so it makes sense.

I don't know much about Shuntaro Furukawa but it will be interesting to see how he follows on for Kimishima who has left Nintendo in a really good place.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 npiet1

@KBFloYd said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Don't know anything about this guy. What I care to see in any president of a company is and executive that is ambitious, aggressive, wants to be #1 and fights for it. Nintendo, ever since Iwata came into power, seems to want to retreat into their own little corner to play by themselves instead of standing tall with the others. People say Nintendo can't compete, I say nonsense. Nintendo has everything necessary to compete, except leadership that is merciless in its approach and mentality to dominate. I doubt this guy's going to bring such drastic change as this corporate direction seems to be the foundation of how they now operate, but nevertheless, here's to hoping...

yeah but they already had the ds and could of made it better and then out done sony if they made a "proper" console.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KBFloYd

@npiet1 said:
@KBFloYd said:
@MirkoS77 said:

yeah but they already had the ds and could of made it better and then out done sony if they made a "proper" console.

they would need full third party support to outdo sony. it might of done better than wiiU still not as good as ps4.

nintendo ever since the n64 when sony made 3rd party their primary focus has no interest in giving in to 3rd party.

i dont know why but nintendo is very picky and cold when it comes to 3rd party.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

I've never heard or seen this guy before.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KBFloYd

@Litchie said:

I've never heard or seen this guy before.

i like this guy's face better

but i guess this guy is the talent...

and furukawa will be the numbers cruncher.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 npiet1

@KBFloYd said:
@npiet1 said:
@KBFloYd said:
@MirkoS77 said:

they would need full third party support to outdo sony. it might of done better than wiiU still not as good as ps4.

nintendo ever since the n64 when sony made 3rd party their primary focus has no interest in giving in to 3rd party.

i dont know why but nintendo is very picky and cold when it comes to 3rd party.

the switch looks like its doing okay with 3rd party and the wii did great for some odd reason but they were werid and had clunky controls. I cant say for wiiu as i didn't get one. I get what you mean though especially with the gc.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

@KBFloYd: Yeah, I like that guy..

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
@KBFloYd said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Nintendo could be selling just as well in a vacuum. That doesn't mean they're competing, and by their own past admissions, they're not trying to.

There are many philosophies I fundamentally disagree with Nintendo on, and choosing not to compete is the main one that all their other shortcomings stem from. Gamers don't benefit from a company that doesn't feel compelled to offer competitive standards that have become expected in the industry. And to preempt, this isn't synonymous (as so many Nintendo apologists like to argue) with the notion that Nintendo needs to be a carbon copy of Sony and MS. They can offer their own unique take on, say, online that offers parity in features expected in modern gaming instead of sitting there oblivious, offering such things as convoluted voice chat alongside other laughably inept online features that reside years in the past and are completely unacceptable. This is just one example.

Nintendo can compete even with their hardware peculiarities such as the Switch. They don't, and what's worse is they choose and strive not to. And any company choosing not to compete, is in my estimation, conceding to defeatism while laying a foundation that doesn't give them any real motivation to push themselves as hard as they can. Companies are never as great as when they're driven by the desire to compete, decimate their opponents, and win. This seems not to be important to Nintendo, and I'll forever disagree with it.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

@npiet1 said:

I hope and I know it's slim, and the switch is still new but I just want a decent console. Something to really compete with the ps4/xbox not a hybrid. They seem to have gone down hill since the 64.

I'm really not sure why Nintendo never tried to make a competitive console. They would easily dominate.

- The N64 used a dumb controller and cartridges (while Sony just copied Nintendo's controller from last gen and used CDs).

- The Gamecube continued to use a dumb controller layout, and used mini CDs.

Both consoles were more powerful than the PS1 and PS2, but mind boggling decisions in other areas meant they weren't appealing to third party devs.

How about this:

1. Release a console with competitive hardware (with parts from a reputable supplier, like AMD or Nvidia)

2. Use a standard controller layout (you know, the one you invented with the SNES)

3. Don't use friend codes for online gaming

4. Use a standard media format (this is less important today with digital downloads being a thing)

5. Profit

Sony and MS can't compete with Nintendo's exclusives. If they use standardized hardware, third party devs will have no issues releasing their games for the console. There would be no reason to own a Sony or MS console.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1847 Posts
@UssjTrunks said:
@npiet1 said:

I'm really not sure why Nintendo never tried to make a competitive console. They would easily dominate.

- The N64 used a dumb controller and cartridges (while Sony just copied Nintendo's controller from last gen and used CDs).

Both consoles were more powerful than the PS1 and PS2, but mind boggling decisions in other areas meant they weren't appealing to third party devs.

How about this:

1. Release a console with competitive hardware (with parts from a reputable supplier, like AMD or Nvidia)

2. Use a standard controller layout (you know, the one you invented with the SNES)

4. Use a standard media format (this is less important today with digital downloads being a thing)

5. Profit

Sony and MS can't compete with Nintendo's exclusives. If they use standardized hardware, third party devs will have no issues releasing their games for the console. There would be no reason to own a Sony or MS console.

1) sort of agree with... I think they should use certain parts that make porting to their console super easy, but not the most powerful and expensive console.

2) yes and no. I say do like the Switch. Have motion controls and portable gaming, but have a pro controller as well.

3) I agree with this. Reroute their whole online infrastructure.

4) Yes.

5) Which they won't if they make a Sonysoft console.

Listen, Nintendo exclusives are top notch and my favorite games to play. However, they won't attract the SonySoft crowd with those exclusives. Those playing Halo, Gears of War, Uncharted, Last of Us, God of War, etc., are not likely to enjoy Mario, Kirby, Fire Emblem, etc. I can see the Witcher crowd enjoying Zelda and the Halo crowd enjoying Metroid, but that's it. I mean Sony and Microsoft tried to copy the Wii and failed due to exclusives being different, thus attracting a different crowd. Nintendo needs to basically combine the Gamecube and Wii. Core Nintendo franchises with casual games complete with motion controls and an optional pro controller. Third party games to get: Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, GTA, COD, Resident Evil, Soul Calibur, Witcher, Kingdom Hearts, Bomberman, Megaman, Rayman Legends, Sims, etc.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts
@luxuryheart said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@npiet1 said:

How about this:

5. Profit

1) sort of agree with... I think they should use certain parts that make porting to their console super easy, but not the most powerful and expensive console.

2) yes and no. I say do like the Switch. Have motion controls and portable gaming, but have a pro controller as well.

4) Yes.

Listen, Nintendo exclusives are top notch and my favorite games to play. However, they won't attract the SonySoft crowd with those exclusives. Those playing Halo, Gears of War, Uncharted, Last of Us, God of War, etc., are not likely to enjoy Mario, Kirby, Fire Emblem, etc. I can see the Witcher crowd enjoying Zelda and the Halo crowd enjoying Metroid, but that's it. I mean Sony and Microsoft tried to copy the Wii and failed due to exclusives being different, thus attracting a different crowd. Nintendo needs to basically combine the Gamecube and Wii. Core Nintendo franchises with casual games complete with motion controls and an optional pro controller. Third party games to get: Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, GTA, COD, Resident Evil, Soul Calibur, Witcher, Kingdom Hearts, Bomberman, Megaman, Rayman Legends, Sims, etc.

Well to be fair Nintendo has always had sort of a shaky relationship with third party developers that goes all the way back to the SNES days. Also the reason for them using media formats such as cartridges or mini CDs over the years has been to try and deter piracy, Sony tried this too with it's UMDs. Sure it held them back a bit in previous generations, but I'd say we're now at a point where cartridges can start overtaking disc based media in capacity/load times/portability etc, so it makes sense to keep using them.

Anyway, I like the direction Nintendo has taken with the Switch, and there's no reason it can't be competitive with other consoles now, or in the future.

1) I believe they should stick with mobile chipsets, which are more efficient for battery life/power consumption instead of using the same tech as Sony and Microsoft. Mobile technology is advancing pretty rapidly these days, with smartphones being able to push some pretty impressive graphical power. IMO the next generations of the Switch should keep the tablet design, but with better specs and screen technology. Ideally, they'd also be fully backwards compatible with all original Switch cartridges.

2) Allowing the joy-cons and pro controller to be used with the Nintendo Switch 2 would also be a smart move. This would be a nice gesture to all those people thinking of upgrading, who are heavily invested in the current Switch console. Having full backwards compatibility with games as well as accessories would be awesome. They've done this before with the Wii -> Wii U so why not?

3) I agree with this, they certainly need to further develop their online gaming infrastructure. This has always been Nintendo's achilles heel, but hopefully they can surprise us all when the paid service comes online.

4) Respectfully disagree, I am firmly in favour of cartridges over discs going forward. However they should develop larger capacity cartridges, and lower their prices for developers so that they can fit their entire games on them rather than having additional downloads required.

5) Honestly if Nintendo were to try and create a Gamecube 2 in order to compete with the PS5/Xbox Two, it would be a major step back IMO. The most appealing feature of the Switch is it's hybrid design, and they would be smart to further develop that idea. On the handheld front they should focus on power efficiency for better battery life, and enhanced ergonomics. Perhaps the next generation could output at a 1080p resolution on an OLED screen. They could even incorporate 3D technology from the 3DS, though this would reduce battery life. It could be an optional slider button.

For the docked console mode, higher resolution or frame rate options could be enabled similarly to how the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X operate. It's not inconceivable that a Nintendo console might be pushing 4K resolutions next generation, if they reworked the Switch dock to serve as a graphical amplifier along the lines of what Alienware tried to do with their gaming laptops. There's definitely a lot of things they could do with the dock for next gen.

One other area that Nintendo could perhaps expand to in the future would be VR, so long as they have got past their Virtual Boy nightmares. Sony's PSVR has shown that there's a lot of interest for this, and with the versatility of the joy-con controllers, this would certainly be viable. They've demonstrates great outside the box thinking with Nintendo Labo, so I have high hopes for this. MGS 3: Snake Eater VR!

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

@mandzilla said:
@luxuryheart said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@npiet1 said:

How about this:

5. Profit

4) Yes.

Well to be fair Nintendo has always had sort of a shaky relationship with third party developers that goes all the way back to the SNES days. Also the reason for them using media formats such as cartridges or mini CDs over the years has been to try and deter piracy, Sony tried this too with it's UMDs. Sure it held them back a bit in previous generations, but I'd say we're now at a point where cartridges can start overtaking disc based media in capacity/load times/portability etc, so it makes sense to keep using them.

Anyway, I like the direction Nintendo has taken with the Switch, and there's no reason it can't be competitive with other consoles now, or in the future.

1) I believe they should stick with mobile chipsets, which are more efficient for battery life/power consumption instead of using the same tech as Sony and Microsoft. Mobile technology is advancing pretty rapidly these days, with smartphones being able to push some pretty impressive graphical power. IMO the next generations of the Switch should keep the tablet design, but with better specs and screen technology. Ideally, they'd also be fully backwards compatible with all original Switch cartridges.

2) Allowing the joy-cons and pro controller to be used with the Nintendo Switch 2 would also be a smart move. This would be a nice gesture to all those people thinking of upgrading, who are heavily invested in the current Switch console. Having full backwards compatibility with games as well as accessories would be awesome. They've done this before with the Wii -> Wii U so why not?

3) I agree with this, they certainly need to further develop their online gaming infrastructure. This has always been Nintendo's achilles heel, but hopefully they can surprise us all when the paid service comes online.

4) Respectfully disagree, I am firmly in favour of cartridges over discs going forward. However they should develop larger capacity cartridges, and lower their prices for developers so that they can fit their entire games on them rather than having additional downloads required.

5) Honestly if Nintendo were to try and create a Gamecube 2 in order to compete with the PS5/Xbox Two, it would be a major step back IMO. The most appealing feature of the Switch is it's hybrid design, and they would be smart to further develop that idea. On the handheld front they should focus on power efficiency for better battery life, and enhanced ergonomics. Perhaps the next generation could output at a 1080p resolution on an OLED screen. They could even incorporate 3D technology from the 3DS, though this would reduce battery life. It could be an optional slider button.

For the docked console mode, higher resolution or frame rate options could be enabled similarly to how the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X operate. It's not inconceivable that a Nintendo console might be pushing 4K resolutions next generation, if they reworked the Switch dock to serve as a graphical amplifier along the lines of what Alienware tried to do with their gaming laptops. There's definitely a lot of things they could do with the dock for next gen.

One other area that Nintendo could perhaps expand to in the future would be VR, so long as they have got past their Virtual Boy nightmares. Sony's PSVR has shown that there's a lot of interest for this, and with the versatility of the joy-con controllers, this would certainly be viable. They've demonstrates great outside the box thinking with Nintendo Labo, so I have high hopes for this. MGS 3: Snake Eater VR!

The problem with the Switch is it will never been able to compete with Sony/MS on third party titles. This makes Nintendo consoles volatile from generation to generation (see GC --> Wii --> Wii U --> Switch). They need to hit it out of the park with some "innovation" or no one will buy the system.

Nintendo is making a push for third party ports on the Switch, but it seems like a fruitless effort (sales have been weak so far). Why would anyone buy a watered down version of a game they can enjoy fully on their PS4/X1/PC?

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Nintendo is too cheap, lazy and they know their fan base will buy any trash they sell them like amiibo’s and cardboard! LMAO

Nintendo doesn’t bother trying or putting in effort because they know their fan base doesn’t care. They have no standards.

Can I really blame Nintendo when their fan base is just as crazy as they are? Nintendo fanboys all over the internet constantly talk about buying every version of the gameboy/DS/3DS, then how much they want to rebuy VC games every gen.

Why bother trying when your fan base is willing to buy SMB3 and LoZ every gen for $10 over and over again? LOL