Show of hands: were you a fan of Sega consoles?

• 90 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll Show of hands: were you a fan of Sega consoles? (74 votes)

Yes, I was a Sega fanboy until they stopped making consoles 24%
Yes, I was a Sega fanboy, though they lost me after the Genesis 9%
I was a Sega fan, but I did appreciate the other consoles too 42%
I was not a Sega fan or fanboy 24%

I am just curious- Sega left the console gaming market more than a decade ago, and is all but forgotten today as far as its consoles go. There is also a lot of retconning of history, and a lot of what they did is accomplished is overlooked, forgotten, or downplayed. I was just wondering if, back in the day when they did use to make consoles and handhelds, you were a Sega fan (or if you preferred to stick with Nintendo/PlayStation).

• 
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Gamegear,the battery killer

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Well the only console I still have hooked up to the TV and play is the Dreamcast. I only had Sega and a PC until Xmas 2001 when I got a PS2.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I still have my two Gamegears, lol....but I still look at my original gameboy and Tetris fondly too.

The eternal battle between Sega and Nintendo rages on in my heart. There is no Playstation or Xbox in there.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I was a Nintendo fan, but I appreciated Sega consoles. Also, I really enjoyed the Dreamcast a lot. It's quite disappointing that it took Sega out of the console market. DC > PS2 and Xbox, I'd rather see them here today than either of those two console manufacturers.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46171 Posts

Sure, I always loved Sonic, Vectorman, Soul Calibur... Knew a lot of people that had a Mega Drive or other Sega consoles.

But I never had a sega console, and I never even played on one of them handhelds.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

the only sega console i ever played was the genesis...at a friends house....i thought it was awesome...but had no money to have both consoles and games. i had an snes.

never bought the saturn or dreamcast..... but i do own a used dreamcast now :)

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I hope someday that Toy Commander gets the same treatment as Jet Set Radio & Sonic Adventure 2. I'd love to have it on my PC.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

I had genesis - dreamcast. I remember vitural fighter one on the saturn.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I liked Sega and had all of their consoles except the Master System, but they were always second to Nintendo for me.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

I had them all.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17804 Posts

*inner 6 year old breaks out*

Never!! Nintendo till the end. mario 4evr!!! sega fans are silly!! sonic is complete crap!!

.....ahem. i was not a nice 6 year old :P

i remember friends having the master system while i had the nes and sometimes we would swap consoles. it was a pretty cool console allright. the master system certainly looked cooler than the nes.

i never played on another sega console though. my parents went the nintendo route (which was certainly no bad thing. lets face it....the nes and snes were awesome) then playstation when the PS1 was out (well a few years after the PS1 was out). i remember seeing later sega consoles though and thinking they did look very cool. i just never got them.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

My friend had a Megadrive. I had good times playing games like Road Rash, ToeJam and Earl, Earthworm Jim etc.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

I had a Sega Master System 2 and loved it but noone in their right mind could dislike Super Mario.

Don't think I bought another console until the PSX came out though, because I got into computers at some point. Commodore 64, Amiga 500+, PCs.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the dreamcast was the only good console that they ever produced but the bad reputation they built with the sega cd, 32x, saturn and game gear forced them out of the game. People love to blame Sony but it was their own fault.

BTW, I still have all their consoles and the game gear too (have never even seen a nomad in person though) but I always preferred Nintendo till they went down the crapper with the N64 and Sony saved me. Sony are the strongest and most consistent console manufacturer in the history of this industry. This industry would have never become this big and successful without Kutaragi and PlayStation and it all started by Nintendo stabbing them in the back. lol

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

dream cast had a cuple of decent games. genesis was okay but super nintendo was better.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

I am a bit of a late Sega fanboy. I bought a N64 and PS1 over a Saturn and really only got into Sega when I bought Dreamcast way back in '99. It still works.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@Gue1 said:

the dreamcast was the only good console that they ever produced but the bad reputation they built with the sega cd, 32x, saturn and game gear forced them out of the game. People love to blame Sony but it was their own fault.

They killed off Saturn way too soon, and replaced it with Dreamcast too early.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Master System 2, Mega Drive, and Dreamcast owner. They were good consoles. Although back then from the 16 bit era the PC gulf was even bigger than it is now.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Nope. The only console they put out that wasn't garbage was the Dreamcast.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Was only a fan of the Dreamcast.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Fan, yes, fanboy, I'd say I'm more of one now than I ever was back then. I've always had multiple systems, so I like to think I'm more objective than most people when it comes to judging software and hardware. The Genesis was always my favorite of gen 4, but the Saturn and Dreamcast, I never put on that type of pedestal. Even when SEGA left console gaming, this is what I thought in my head: "It's about time." With that said, the thing that bothers me when it comes to SEGA, is that most gamers seem to know nothing about them, and especially those born in and past 1990. Just for example, did you know that the Genesis had backwards compatibility thanks to the Power Base Converter, which was a SEGA product? Probably not, and neither did AVGN, and a lot of those same people tend to think of him as a knowledgeable source on video games.

If you want to know what made SEGA great, you have to do some research, and only real gaming enthusiasts are going to do that. The things that SEGA did to revolutionize the arcade scene, the amount of software variety they had on their systems, their push for online gaming dating back to the Mega Drive days, barely anyone talks about it. When I see people make remarks like the SEGA CD and Saturn were terrible, or that the Genesis had nothing but Sonic, it really makes me shake my head. There are literally hundreds of great games on them, and in the case of the Saturn, most of them are way more playable today than the N64's, because the system had such a heavy emphasis on 2D gaming. If you like shmups, fighters, and rpgs, the Saturn has you covered. As for the SEGA CD, most aren't going to look past the FMV games, and will glance over amazing titles like Lunar, Snatcher, Lords of Thunder, Robo Aleste, etc. Nintendo fans like to talk about Rareware, but on SEGA's side there was Treasure. Gunstar Heroes, Guardian Heroes, Alien Soldier, Dynamite Headdy, does anyone mention those classics? Many gush over FFVII, and how mind blowing it was. My question is how many of those people played Panzer Dragoon Saga, a game that had revolutionary gameplay, no grinding, and gave every NPC voice acting? How many RPGs do that sort of thing now, and Saga came out in 1998.

So just to sum up my rant, I guess I've become a fanboy of SEGA now more as a response to the lack of knowledge gamers have about them. SEGA did/does make my favorite type of games, which are arcade and action oriented, but having to defend them all the time has made me appreciate them more for what they did for gaming. They took chances on both a gameplay and hardware level, and I miss that sort of thing. Sure, they made terrible business decisions, and they had a ton of internal turmoil, but I think when you look at the overall picture, it's not hard to see that SEGA did a lot of amazing things.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Have owned all except a Game Gear believe it or not.

I own an N-Gage but never owned a Game Gear, dat self-ownage :(

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

Never got to really experience a Sega system.

Nintendo ruled the household.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#25 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Never got to own any of them, but I've enjoyed some of the games I've played, like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, and Soul Calibur.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

Fan, yes, fanboy, I'd say I'm more of one now than I ever was back then. I've always had multiple systems, so I like to think I'm more objective than most people when it comes to judging software and hardware. The Genesis was always my favorite of gen 4, but the Saturn and Dreamcast, I never put on that type of pedestal. Even when SEGA left console gaming, this is what I thought in my head: "It's about time." With that said, the thing that bothers me when it comes to SEGA, is that most gamers seem to know nothing about them, and especially those born in and past 1990. Just for example, did you know that the Genesis had backwards compatibility thanks to the Power Base Converter, which was a SEGA product? Probably not, and neither did AVGN, and a lot of those same people tend to think of him as a knowledgeable source on video games.

If you want to know what made SEGA great, you have to do some research, and only real gaming enthusiasts are going to do that. The things that SEGA did to revolutionize the arcade scene, the amount of software variety they had on their systems, their push for online gaming dating back to the Mega Drive days, barely anyone talks about it. When I see people make remarks like the SEGA CD and Saturn were terrible, or that the Genesis had nothing but Sonic, it really makes me shake my head. There are literally hundreds of great games on them, and in the case of the Saturn, most of them are way more playable today than the N64's, because the system had such a heavy emphasis on 2D gaming. If you like shmups, fighters, and rpgs, the Saturn has you covered. As for the SEGA CD, most aren't going to look past the FMV games, and will glance over amazing tiles like Lunar, Snatcher, Lords of Thunder, Robo Aleste, etc. Nintendo fans like to talk about Rareware, but on SEGA's side there was Treasure. Gunstar Heroes, Guardian Heroes, Alien Soldier, Dynamite Headdy, does anyone mention those classics? Many gush over FFVII, and how mind blowing it was. My question is how many of those people played Panzer Dragoon Saga, a game that had revolutionary gameplay, no grinding, and gave every NPC voice acting? How many RPGs do that sort of thing now, and Saga came out in 1998.

So just to sum up my rant, I guess I've become a fanboy of SEGA now more in a response to the lack of knowledge gamers have about them. SEGA did/does make my favorite type of games, which are arcade and action oriented, but having to defend them all the time has made me appreciate them more for what they did for gaming. They took chances on both a gameplay and hardware level, and I miss that sort of thing. Sure, they made terrible business decisions, and they had a ton of internal turmoil, but I think when you look at the overall picture, it's not hard to see that SEGA did a lot of amazing things.

Well said, and I actually did know that factoid about the Genesis!

I used to be pretty indifferent to Sega's days as a console manufacturer, but I have been researching them recently, and my respect for the company has greatly grown. If you want to read up more on Sega, I highly suggest SegaBase- although the author is highly biased in Sega's favor, and does all he can to downplay Sony and especially Nintendo, he does give us a thorough insight into the inner workings of Sega, and it makes for a fascinating read. The Saturn and Dreamcast articles are probably the best ones.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I never owned a Sega. I had Atari 2600, then Nintendo, then Super Nintendo, then PS1, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I bought the Nintendo hype train hook, line, and sinker. Blast processing meant nothing to me.

When the Dreamcast was released my irrational Sega hatred had abated but by then I was a full on cow.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

The most fun I ever had on consoles, was had on Sega consoles.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

I never owned a Sega console, so no.

My cousin had a Genesis that I played a little. It was ok, I guess.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

There were other companies than Playstation and Nintendo...

Sig

_____

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161287837649?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17854 Posts

I got shit on THREE TIMES by Sega. The Sega CD, the 32X and the Saturn. In fact, other than handhelds, the Saturn was my last console purchase. I jumped exclusively to PC after that and haven't looked back.

I for one was happy when Sega went under as a console manufacturer.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

I was a fan of sega's games their consoles sucked for the most part.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178832 Posts

Sega was my favorite for sure.....have them all.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Desmonic said:

All hail the mighty Dreamcast!

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I remember sega channel. Did anyone else have that?

I really do miss Sega, but the Snes outdid the genesis for me. Dreamcast was amazing but was still outdone by Sony, that probably had much more to do with their longetivity however.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@TigerSuperman: Bro, I don't think you can advertise products for sale like that. Talk with a mod about that link, before you get in trouble.

That was my signature, it's also not mine. (also know the automatic one does not work for some reason)

Sig

____

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161287837649?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Genesis was the first console I owned.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50536 Posts

Sega fanboy 'till the end.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

the Sega Master System was my first ever console, so I've always had a soft spot for Sega. I owned the Genesis,Saturn and Dreamcast too.

Would go crazy if Sega returned to hardware :)

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

srga genesis is one of the greatest consoles of ALL TIME. and thats not an opinion, its a FACT

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45049 Posts

I liked their consoles, but they were truly a beast with their arcade games

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

There is a special place in my heart for swag consoles. I have many battles logged on them. Master System to Dreamcast all have a story to fill my gaming history. No basement dweller should have been without one.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

I'm a fan of classic Sega games, but their consoles all had major issues, which is why they're no longer making them. But there will always be a special place in my heart for the likes of Sonic Adventure and the like.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I still have all my sega systems all the way back to the Master System in great working condition.

Albeit I had to work on my Sega CD to keep it from burning out.

I still play Tempo and Chaotix on my 32X to this day lol

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

Me and my brothers had a Genesis, Dreamcast and the GameGear. Enjoyed some games but always liked Nintendo consoles better.

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

I was only a fan of the Genesis.

Never played the Master System, only played Saturn at my friends down the street because it never seemed like a worth while purchase and outside a couple of good games I felt the Dreamcast was lame.

Even as awesome as I thought the Genesis was, it still came off as secondary once I finally got a SNES. Though to be fair, most consoles seem lame compared to the SNES while the Genesis was more than a worthy competitor.

Sega on the arcade front though? Bad fucking ass.

Also, glad to see Renegade posted here lol. When I think modern Sega fanboy, he's the first to come to mind. Not too many of those these days.