Should you preorder games? (Video)

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#51 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i only preorder games when i preorder brand new consoles (excluding new versions of consoles like ps3slim 3dsxl etc) 

so it does not bother me,in fact i dont see the need , i got 7 stores 24 miles from me -that sell games, 

and if walmart or gamestop dont have it i wait or check thrift stores pawn shop and this retro game store that just opened worst case i go to another city then i go online ,never need to preorder lol

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Game Demo they showed Press is a Hundred times better then the release game ? jesus...that is low.

Valiant_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Valiant_Rebel
Member since 2009 • 4197 Posts

The only games I ever pre-order are Pokemon games because in my area, they sell out really fast and stay sold out for 2 - 3 weeks. I like to have it day one. Also, the last two times, I got a buy one get one half off on the last two games as well, so that helps.

For everything else, I just wait for the inevitable GOTY/GOLD/ULTIMATE/COMPLETE edition for $7 on Steam. People that pre-order and buy games day one should go all in and not "complain" if a game doesn't turn out the way they wanted it to be. This is different from someone giving a good or bad opinion on the game. It's for some that say, "I can't believe I spent XX money on this." There are plenty of media outlets that should inform someone if a game is worth it  to you or not, even before it releases (note: "to you," not anyone else). Buyer beware and whatnot applies here.

There's a small factor (note: "small") also that involves people wanting to play with their friends as soon as possible. One person says "I'm getting this," and their friend replies "okay, I'll get it too and we can play together." They wouldn't care about the pre-order bonuses, but rather care that they can play a new game with their friends as soon as possible. That's something that pre-order bonuses can't influence.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#54 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Pre-Ordered:

Halo 4

Alan Wake

Guild Wars 2

Torchlight 2

And I will be paying $25 to back Wasteland 2

These are games I was near certain I would enjoy 

OB-47

kickstarter :roll:

game succesful= you got what you want at a risk of not knowing it will be good or bad and still you really didn't gain nothing more then if you just waited

game fail = you're out of everthing...

IDK  personally find it utter joke that it acts like a completely free bank  and I believe they need a real reward program like if a game is successful they should have to return X% of that money to to it's people that help them achieve their dream.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Game Demo they showed Press is a Hundred times better then the release game ? jesus...that is low.

Blake135
ya. find it even funny that the demo wasn't even part of the game. If i was anyone who bought this game i would return it even if it's digital... IF they want to play games over some pennies in profit over trash that shouldn't be up for sale then a simple phone call to credit card company and boycott would be in place...
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

The only time I have preordered this gen was for one of two reasons;

1) For Collector's Edition boxes. Yeah, if it's a franchise that I love (more recently Heart of the Swarm) then I'll preorder the CE.

2) Games like Xenoblade become super rare after they launch due to being released in limited quantities. This has been somewhat remedied by DDL because I was able to obtain Fire Emblem: Awakening via DDL. And you can't find FE:A anywhere at the current moment.

---

I like how he called out the lame ass fanboys that continue to plague the industry. Some select individuals on this board should take notes.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

i only preorder games when i preorder brand new consoles (excluding new versions of consoles like ps3slim 3dsxl etc) 

so it does not bother me,in fact i dont see the need , i got 7 stores 24 miles from me -that sell games, 

and if walmart or gamestop dont have it i wait or check thrift stores pawn shop and this retro game store that just opened worst case i go to another city then i go online ,never need to preorder lol

mariokart64fan

Are you ever going to fix you Homeward Bound avatar?

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts
You must be pretty damn dumb if you cannot judge a game's quality 90% of the time.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#59 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
I'm so very glad that I did not pre-order Colonial Marines.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
You must be pretty damn dumb if you cannot judge a game's quality 90% of the time. senses_fail_06
And how are you supposed to do that with no demo and a review embargo?
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
I'd also like to add that I don't pre-order anything anymore. Although, I was very much looking forward to this game and I am very saddened to see that Gearbox did such a poor job making it.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#62 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

game succesful= you got what you want at a risk of not knowing it will be good or bad and still you really didn't gain nothing more then if you just waited

game fail = you're out of everthing...

k2theswiss

Game doesn't get funding = game doesn't get made

Game doesn't get made = game doesn't get made

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

I pre-ordered recently:

Borderlands 2: for the Mechromancer DLC character. Totally worth it.

Dead Space 3: Because Amazon was giving $20 gift cards with the pre-order so really paid $40

Bioshock Infinite: Found a pre-order for $48 so I saved about $15

Tomb Raider: Collector's Edition I didn't want to take a chance on it selling out

I will also be pre-ordering a Collector's Edition of The Last Of Us for the same reason (Pandemic Edition is already sold out for good)

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts
Pre order on amazon to just forget and pay. Never at GameStop, I preordered monster hunter tri or something and they didn't have the bonus item that came with it. I came really early so I doubt they were out of the toy (or whatever it was ) they were just holding them for themselves. How do I know this? Because normally when they are out of something like that they ask for your email so in case they get more they can notify you, but those **** did not.
senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 senses_fail_06
[QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]You must be pretty damn dumb if you cannot judge a game's quality 90% of the time. clyde46

The developer. Game footage.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#66 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

O dun't.

---

((I don't.))

Goyoshi12

God damn, thats a pretty sucky bet you got there :lol:

Yieh, O'm bigonnong tu rigrit ot elriedy...

-----------------

((Yeah, I'm beginning to regret it already...))

Dam must take ages to type messages.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I only pre order when its a super edition that I feel wont go down in price and its usally for a game I have a good feeling im going to enjoy.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]You must be pretty damn dumb if you cannot judge a game's quality 90% of the time. senses_fail_06

Lmfao...you would listen to a dev hyping his own game? And footage isn't the same playing, alot of the time devs cherry pick or in the case of colonial marines they flat out made a better demo for press screening and delivered the turd to us.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

When I pre-order it's digital from GMG these days. Cheaper, faster. On PC there's typically no resale value to speak of anyway. I only pre-order when there's what seems to be a discount that's the best it's gonna get before release. Usually pay around $36.

If there's no discount there's no pre-order. Then it's just...why? I have a sense for if I might like a game or not, but I'm not psychic. I'll just wait for the reviews then. A game turning out ass is a risk, but it's one I've managed to avoid quite successfully. Only time I remember screwing myself by pre-ordering was when £17.95 seemed alright for Rogue Warrior and they "processed" it before the reviews hit.

I actually don't know how cancelling works at GMG since I haven't needed to do that yet. They do precharge you, which I dislike, for the very reason that it tends to make it more of a hassle if something goes crap. Better for the seller, potential bother for the buyer. But I'll deal with that if the time comes I suppose.

TL;DR
I pre-order to save money on day one purchases. Yes, I think I should do that.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#70 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I always pre order games.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5Uj4XIT1Y

Some good points, I hate the way that pre-orders work now.

clyde46

Aye he got some valid points, i dont pre-order much stuff anymore

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I don't pre-order stuff.  Can't see the point and it really wouldn't help me manage my money well!

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts
As a PC gamer I don't usually pre-order games in-case its a bad port or just runs like garbage. Last game I pre-ordered was Skyrim.
Bladebri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Bladebri
Member since 2010 • 239 Posts

I only usually pre-order games that get localized here from Japan or the like.  Especially thankful that I pre-ordered Fire Emblem: Awakening as without it I would've probably had to wait another week or two at least till I got my hands on a retail copy.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#75 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
I only pre order a game that picks my attention and it must be $35 or less. I recently pre ordered Tomb Raider at $30 for PC.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
I pre-order to save money on day one purchases. Yes, I think I should do that.McStrongfast
Why don't you just wait for deals, GOTY, and Deluxe editions to save money? I got Darksiders 1&2+every single little bit of DLC for Darksiders 2 for 19$ during the Steam sale in December. That also includes every single pre-order bonus offered by retailers. I'll be getting Sleeping Dogs+all DLC during the summer sale. Trine 2 is on sale for $3 right now.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#77 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

The way I see it there is little reason to pre-order or buy games early. There are however some very strong reasons to wait:

• Price drops. Typically there will be a 50% deal on Steam within a few months of release. After 6 months there will be a 75% deal (I just bough Darksiders 2 and Sleeping Dogs 75% off).
  • Games are frequently being released broken and it takes months before they are fixed. For example a game like Assassin's Creed 3 was a mess on release. I received another patch on Steam yesterday, but it's too late as I have stopped playing the game long ago. By waiting to purchase your first playthrough will be as smooth and bug-free as possible.
  • DLC: If you buy a game early you will then have to decide if you want to buy DLC or not. Typically modern games are very fragmented. By waiting and buying GOTY editions instead you get the full experience for 75% less money (Darksiders 2 and Arkham City are good examples of this)!

For these reasons I have decided to never buy AAA games on release day anymore. I make exceptions for indie-games that I want to support (like Antichamber for example). Indie-games ironically tend to be a lot less buggy on release and don't have the annoying business practices of bigger projects.

halfmask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 halfmask
Member since 2010 • 240 Posts

The only game I've preordered for the bonus was Skyward Sword, and part of it (motion+ controller) was something I needed anyway to play the game.

Other than that I'll preorder if I know the game's going to be in short supply, and I don't feel like going on a wild goose chase to find a copy. :P

I don't really like the whole preorder DLC thing, which means you'll never really have the full game- unless they end up putting it up for sale and then you have to pay extra for it, which is ridiculous.

I think it'd be great if they didn't have the restrictions on how soon reviews could be released, because then maybe developers would work a little harder on making a product that impresses instead of relying on blind buyers for the bulk of their sales.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#79 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I went to preorder the Songbird edition of Bioshock Infinite because that's the only way you can get limited editions. They were sold out. So if you want a deluxe version, hell yes you should preorder.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#80 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I only pre-order games that have $15-$20 off or give you $10-$20 bucks back. The stupid pre-order bonuses never effect if I'm going to pre-order.

If anything I pre-order 1-3 games a year.

If you know a game is gonna be good because it's a sequel then go for it. If you can get back a good chunk of cash go for it. But if your blindly going in... They stay away.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
I preorder rarely, usually when I have faith in the developer and want to support what they're doing - or I've played a beta/trial I enjoyed. X-Com, Dishonored, Hotline Miami - all worth it, even if I didn't get to touch the games until three weeks after launch. Man that was grim.
mooooo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 mooooo99
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts

i only preorder games im really looking forward to, collectors editions normally fall here as well. currently have tomb raider and ffxiii-3 on preorder.

most games i wait a few months for a price drop.

FireSpirit117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 FireSpirit117
Member since 2012 • 1926 Posts
If it's a collector's edition to a game that I know is going to sell like hot cakes, or something with a worthwhile pre-order bonus, then sure.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
If there is a rare game that I absolutely know I'm going to want to play regardless of review scores or anything else, I will preorder it on Steam or Amazon because those services don't charge me anything until the game actually releases. You have to preorder on Amazon if you want to get the game at release, and preordering on Steam usually lets you preload the game so you already have it installed and ready to go at midnight.
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
i only preorder games i know i'll like so there's no risk for me.
senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 senses_fail_06

[QUOTE="senses_fail_06"][QUOTE="clyde46"] And how are you supposed to do that with no demo and a review embargo?GD1551

Lmfao...you would listen to a dev hyping his own game? And footage isn't the same playing, alot of the time devs cherry pick or in the case of colonial marines they flat out made a better demo for press screening and delivered the turd to us.

Who is developing the game...not what they are saying.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 GD1551

Who is developing the game...not what they are saying. senses_fail_06

Diablo 3, FF13, Assassin's Creed 3 and GTA4. All examples of games with pretty well known and distinguished developers but not very good games (according to most gamers since I loved GTA4 and enjoyed D3 quite a bit) despite great footage on all.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#88 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Preordering games is silly, the only game I recently preordered was the highest special edition of TLoU.

If I didnt preorder it, I wouldnt be able to get it, and I really want the game. 

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

[QUOTE="McStrongfast"]I pre-order to save money on day one purchases. Yes, I think I should do that.Jebus213
Why don't you just wait for deals, GOTY, and Deluxe editions to save money? I got Darksiders 1&2+every single little bit of DLC for Darksiders 2 for 19$ during the Steam sale in December. That also includes every single pre-order bonus offered by retailers. I'll be getting Sleeping Dogs+all DLC during the summer sale. Trine 2 is on sale for $3 right now.

Maybe we want to play certain game immediately? I do wait for price drops on most games though.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 senses_fail_06

[QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]

Who is developing the game...not what they are saying. GD1551

Diablo 3, FF13, Assassin's Creed 3 and GTA4. All examples of games with pretty well known and distinguished developers but not very good games (according to most gamers since I loved GTA4 and enjoyed D3 quite a bit) despite great footage on all.

Most gamers think those games are bad? What a load. What you read on system wars =|= to the sentiment of most people.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#91 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] God damn, thats a pretty sucky bet you got there :lol:Rattlesnake_8

Yieh, O'm bigonnong tu rigrit ot elriedy...

-----------------

((Yeah, I'm beginning to regret it already...))

Dam must take ages to type messages.

Yieh, ot's pritty bed.

----------

((Yeah, it's pretty bad.))

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Only if i'm sure i'll get my money's worth. But it sucks being locked out of content for not pre-ordering or worse for pre-ordering at a different store.

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

I usually only preorder if the bonus are physical items and not digital. Oh how I missed the old days of preorder incentive.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Only if i'm sure i'll get my money's worth. But it sucks being locked out of content for not pre-ordering or worse for pre-ordering at a different store.

Snugenz
To me, the worst is when there are different incentives for preordering from different stores. Fall of the Samurai went from being a day 1 purchase to waiting for a 75% off sale on steam because of that.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#95 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

[QUOTE="McStrongfast"]I pre-order to save money on day one purchases. Yes, I think I should do that.Jebus213

I buy games when I want them.

I will have bought, enjoyed and beat Sleeping Dogs one year before you, very much worth the $36, so stick that in your face and smoke it, procrastinator.
And it's not like I'm some creaky old bigot intolerant of the idea of buying games which prices go down as time goes by. I'll have you know I've picked up like a dozen games on the cheap this year alone. London Viking Tennis Tales, just to name one.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="McStrongfast"]I pre-order to save money on day one purchases. Yes, I think I should do that.McStrongfast

I buy games when I want them.

I will have bought, enjoyed and beat Sleeping Dogs one year before you, very much worth the $36, so stick that in your face and smoke it, procrastinator.
And it's not like I'm some creaky old bigot intolerant of the idea of buying games which prices go down as time goes by. I'll have you know I've picked up like a dozen games on the cheap this year alone. London Viking Tennis Tales, just to name one.

What a pathetic post...
HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

You don't need to pre-order on steam or in the high street stores, it's pointless.

You still have to go into the store to pick it up and unlike cartridges, games aren't running out.

I pre-order off Amazon, because I can just leave the order in and they deal with it. If the review scores are bad upon release, I can send it back still sealed for a refund.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts
I stopped doing GameStop pre-orders, most the stuff you get with games is just like custom weapon skin or some crap, not worth the effort. Though I did take part in MS's holiday pre-order deals for several games, each game got me $20 worth of XBL points and a $10 store credit for a slew of games. Did pretty well with all that. One game they ran out of 1600 MS point cards and $10 store credits, so I got one 4000 point card ($50) and a $25 store card instead, a $75 value which was more than I paid for.
Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#99 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

Bioshock infinite, Tome Raider, God of War, The last of Us, Gears judgement, Crysis 3, MGS revengence, if ones of those flops I'll never pre-order again but I'm pretty confident there all going to be pretty good

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]

Who is developing the game...not what they are saying. senses_fail_06

Most gamers think those games are bad? What a load. What you read on system wars =|= to the sentiment of most people.

When it came to Diablo 3 and AC3 everyone I know has stopped playing due to some pretty bad design choices. GTA is a really really mixed bag and FF13, well most FF fans always crap on it and I personally thought it was bad from my hour with it so I think I can agree with them.