Should we stop buying physical copies whenever possible?

• 129 results
Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

I do all digital on PC.

But mostly physical on consoles.

Because they only have like 5-10 worthwhile games in thier life time anyway, and thier "for the players" masters like charging extortionate digital prices because they are arseholes.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#52 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@dr_vancouver said:

The only way I would switch to digitally owning games/movies is if they cost at most 10% of the physical price. Paying the full amount for digital copy is an outrage.

Also, when you factor in all that it costs for a company to print a jacket, and a Bluray, stuff those in cases and seal 'em up, ship them all over the world- you are getting something instead of (quite literally) nothing. Get your money's worth: rule number one.

Your vote doesn't matter, and if you think you yourself hold any sway I've got a digital bridge to sell you ;)

I don't even have an optical drive or any other removable storage (aside for USB) on my PC anymore and haven't bought a physical game for many years. The last game I bought was Vampyr and I paid £23.99 for it, a day or so after release. Shop smart and games can be really cheap, especially on PC.

I can literally download and be playing a game faster than I can get to the shops, let alone back again and install it. If I want to get a game, I pay for it, download it, play it and if I want to play it again a few months/years later then I simply download it again, simples.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@GarGx1: Neither do I. I was thinking of getting a USB optical drive because I do collect music on CD so it would be handy to backup my collection there, but otherwise, I buy all my games digitally on PC.

I prefer physical on Switch though.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@storm_of_swords said:

here are already many digital-only games that are now impossible to acquire since they were removed from the servers. If these games had a physical release, people that want them would still be able to get them in the Used market, but since they were digital-only, they are now lost to history and that is sad. Physical media forever!

At least, on the PC side, older games usually find their way from Steam/Origin/Uplay to GoG. GoG games don't require a client and I can store the install files on any physical media I want. I can't think of any PC game that is lost to history.

For example, I thought the Close Combat games from the late 90's were gone forever like you said. Then, all of a sudden, they appeared in GoG's inventory.

This is schweet.

https://www.gog.com/game/close_combat_2_a_bridge_too_far

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

@GarGx1: ya well, PC being PC that's where it's different. On consoles, we get amazing special editions, I always wrangle myself what I refer to as "fancy" editions. Things like Master Edition BotW, the first Titanfall came in a box so big it didn't fit in my car, just preordered the Fallout 76 with the power armor, got Fallout 4 with a Pip-boy edition. Actually, my Fallout anthology with mini-nuke is for PC, but even when games I want are also on PC- they usually don't get the goods. I like swag for games I really like. I also like a game that can go on a shelf in my library, something I can hold in my hands and feel as if I got something for my money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#56  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I didnt even read the OP

Responding to the title only:

NO, we shouldnt. I know I wont

edit: Read the 1st couple of paragraphs. To that I say: F**k the environment

edit 2: I dont need to think twice. I dont give two sh*ts about the environment cause I wont be here when the world burns in its own filth. Physical copies for me it is

@Pedro said:

Swapping discs is for barbarians.

Not swapping discs is for fatasses who are too heavy and lazy to leave the couch

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#57  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

@Shewgenja: That doesn’t even answer the question in the OP.

It does in a very sarcastic way :P

Downloading instead of buying physical forms of games--those physical forms requiring shipping of raw materials to a factory, manufacturing of raw materials into processed ones, shipping those to whatever company then manufactures them with other materials (including rare metals better used for something else) to make cartridges or optical discs, and so forth--consumes far far far less resources.

Outside of the infrastructure needed to establish a physical network from one location to another (something that I would argue is critical, gaming or not), getting a game digitally from one location to another requires energy that is capable of coming from renewable sources.

TBH I never really thought of it that way, makes me feel better about being digital only. Not that I needed to feel better, it's damn convenient. No more giant cardboard boxes of games to haul around.

@Pedro said:

Those savages!

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

PC is obviously all digital, most of my console stuff is physical simply because it costs way more to buy games digital. When Sony and MS stop taking the piss with their digital prices I'll buy digital, though I suppose MS are now giving away all their own games for next to nothing with Game Pass which is a start of sorts if they only had some friggin games.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 mrbojangles25

@mojito1988 said:
@tryit said:
@mojito1988 said:

I don't want all the stores that sell physical goods to go out of business so no. As people buy everything online or digital, people lose jobs. That will happen, but it will not be because of me. Same reason I do not use the self checkout at the store. It costs peoples jobs.

i really do not support the idea of keeping jobs just for the sake of it.

hiring a bunch of people to dig a hole in the ground for no reason does maintain jobs, but its not a good use of jobs.

So in the future when all the jobs are automated, what do you want most of the world to do? Nothing?

Future jobs will be service-based. US is already transitioning to this, and consuming more than it has, will, or can produce. There is more demand now for services than ever. I imagine there will always be a degree of production jobs, too, but not like it has been.

Nor should there be. If we get our shit together, manage to focus on education, stop this trend of anti-intellectualism (smart people used to be well regarded in the US, believe it or not...), the US could again lead the way in new technologies, product design, and so forth. I don't believe in genuinely stupid people, only the uneducated.

There will never be a shortage of jobs, and yet at the same time there will always be a certain % of unemployed people. You think shit got bad in 2008 because there were no jobs? No, companies were too cheap to hire people, and people were too scared to lose their jobs so they did the work of two people.

Besides, instead of building robots, people will be trained to maintain the robots. Behind every robot is...another robot. But behind that robot is a person :P

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@Vatusus: And just like that your intelligence is even lower than I thought it was. Wow. You may just be the most unintelligent poster on System Wars and this place is crawling with idiots.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#61 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

@Vatusus: And just like that your intelligence is even lower than I thought it was. Wow. You may just be the most unintelligent poster on System Wars and this place is crawling with idiots.

Oh, thank you. Pissing you off is what gives me pleasure

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Juub1990

@Vatusus: Not even pissed off. I just think you’re really dumb.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#63 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

I buy digital games and music.

1. No line up for gaming stores.

2. Don't have to get up in the morning.

3. No worries about my pre-ordered game sold to a snot nosed prick who didn't pre-ordered the same game. Yes it has happened to me before. ?

4. Get my pre-ordered game at earliest convenience then most people.

I don't care to much about environmental issues. I don't contribute to the problem on purpose but ain't going to sh*t myself if other people are. Enough said. It's my opinion and I am sticking by it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8284346a788
deactivated-5b8284346a788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#64 deactivated-5b8284346a788
Member since 2018 • 295 Posts

no thanks. physical games cost as much as digital so i might as well get something that i can actually resell of have something to collect.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5248 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Nor should there be. If we get our s**t together, manage to focus on education, stop this trend of anti-intellectualism (smart people used to be well regarded in the US, believe it or not...), the US could again lead the way in new technologies, product design, and so forth.

This anti-intellectualism wil only stop if the intellectuals can prove to the American people that they can be trusted once again. Too many times in American history have the "experts" been wrong and were discredited in the process (Vietnam War, 2016 presidential polling and election). It really does not help that faith in the major institutions are at an all-time low.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#66 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

Exclusives are evil too. We are wasting money on buying secondary platforms just to play them and being wasteful in general by polluting the environment with all this unnecessary and redundant hardware. The worst part is the consoles are so shit that they are incapable of running the exclusives properly. The games industry is fucked up.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

what makes you certain that your games automatically go into the rubbish bin if you die? Do you not expect to have your assets liquidated by family or an executor? It's not like every single atari/sega/nintendo cartridge went straight to the bin when people passed away. Physical copies can be passed on from generation to generation directly or indirectly (see retro brick and mortar stores or online stores). If the hardware degrades over time, then dispose of it in a way it can be recycled.

That being said, only the general market can determine if we can get rid of physical copies. As it stands, the world is not anywhere at the same level when it comes to internet availability for us to even entertain wiping out physical media.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@scatteh316 said:
@boycie said:
@scatteh316 said:
@boycie said:

I agree. Think of all those plastic CD and DVD's and cases we will leave in land fills after we're all dead. Millions of them!

And yet we all survived E.T!

Take it you don't care then?

Dude plastic is not the problem, the problem is people not disposing of it correctly.

If they find a viable replacement for plastic that'll just end up in the same places that plastic does.

Prevention is better then cure and they're trying to cure the problem by replacing plastic instead of educating people on how to dispose of it correctly thus preventing it from ending up in places it shouldn't.

Replacing plastic with nothing is not a solution? Servers are in use for years and years, and you can recycle most of the parts in them considering most of it is sand and metal. The plastic bits are the only trouble spots, and having billions of plastic cases certainly is a point the OP is right about.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By mrbojangles25

@onesiphorus: I'm not talking about "experts" or anything like that. I am inclined to agree with your sentiments, however. And it's not that they've lied to us or let us down, it's that a vocal, idiotic few are given a voice while the rational majority do not get that same voice (for example, some loudmouth scientist spewing off his or her own personal theory about climate change instead of the worldwide, logical, fact-based truth most accept).

What I'm talking about is the borderline aversion to the educated in this country, and the disrespect it often brings from people. I mean we look at coal miners with respect like they're war veterans, and we view scientists and doctors with skepticism. Now I'm not suggesting the coal miner doesn't deserve a degree of respect, but certainly the doctor or scientist, the researcher, and even the students, deserve a lot of respect as well.

Ugh, talk about off-topic haha.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

if you're too lazy to swap a disc you might need some time outdoors

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

I am already all digital on my X, PS4 Pro, Switch, and PC. So I have already moved forward!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#72 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

@Vatusus said:

@Pedro said:

Not swapping discs is for fatasses who are too heavy and lazy to leave the couch

Swapping discs is for fat asses who rely on swapping discs as their sole form of exercise. LMAO.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Pedro

@BassMan said:

Exclusives are evil too. We are wasting money on buying secondary platforms just to play them and being wasteful in general by polluting the environment with all this unnecessary and redundant hardware. The worst part is the consoles are so shit that they are incapable of running the exclusives properly. The games industry is fucked up.

You started off good and then you fell flat in the latter.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#74 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Depends on who you vote for. One side says its a hoax and even has the Evangelicals talking to Jesus on speed dial to prove it.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@verbalfilth said:

what makes you certain that your games automatically go into the rubbish bin if you die? Do you not expect to have your assets liquidated by family or an executor? It's not like every single atari/sega/nintendo cartridge went straight to the bin when people passed away. Physical copies can be passed on from generation to generation directly or indirectly (see retro brick and mortar stores or online stores). If the hardware degrades over time, then dispose of it in a way it can be recycled.

That being said, only the general market can determine if we can get rid of physical copies. As it stands, the world is not anywhere at the same level when it comes to internet availability for us to even entertain wiping out physical media.

Yeah games become highly collective the older they get. Got a top loader NES, worth close to $500 dad only paid $30. Can't wait to see what its worth in 20 years. Don't play it (it's packed away pretty nicely), have backups of the games I do want to play.

I try not to get physical for a couple of reasons

1. I have little kids, even when I put my games high they can sometimes still get into them, they've destroyed games before but haven't for a while though.

2. I work hard to be lazy. I'm pretty good at finding an easy way if there is, I'll spend more time setting things up for myself to be lazy than it would take if I did it proper but after I set it up I can be lazy all I want. So not changing disk, instead of walking to the console to change it is a plus, even though I only play one game at a time.

3. There usually cheaper, except for release some times.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By BassMan

@Pedro said:
@BassMan said:

My words = truth

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Pedro

@BassMan said:
@Pedro said:
@BassMan said:

My words = truth

Truth mixed in with drivel = half truths.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By BassMan

@Pedro said:
@BassMan said:
@Pedro said:
@BassMan said:

My words = truth

Truth mixed in with drivel = half truths.

Nope. Full truth. :)

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#79 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

I only buy physical. Never digital unless it's just too good of a deal to pass up. I could never switch to digital because I'm a collector and there's no guarantees you'll have something for life just because you own it digitally.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 npiet1

@valgaav_219 said:

I only buy physical. Never digital unless it's just too good of a deal to pass up. I could never switch to digital because I'm a collector and there's no guarantees you'll have something for life just because you own it digitally.

I get the collector part, but you can guarantee you'll be able to play games for life it they are digital, what about back-ups there still online for pretty much every game ever made. If hardware fails it's going to cost more than the release price after a while, or you cant play the game.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

Physical over Digital!

We live in a world now where so many people don't even understand the concept of ownership any more. Ask yourself this one question

Do you want the power in your hands or in the hands of the corporations? Whose best interest do you think they will always serve first at the end of the day?

Imagine living in a world where people are no longer allowed to own properties (houses) and only thing you can do is rent a house from the federal government.... they can also kick you out the house any time they want for any small reason they can find on you. It's like that with games in the future.... they essentially lease you the game and then they can take it away from you at any time for whatever small reason they can find.

I guess there's a reason why we live in a world where people just for whatever reason (maybe denial, maybe inability to think ahead) can't look into the future. I remember when DLCs were first announced and people thought "oh wow cool, we'd be getting free stuff to add on to our games!!" and back then I cautioned people that they will regret welcoming DLCs and look at where we stand today with microtransactions.

One day I'll be making the same exact post like this when people are complaining and bitching about being taken advantage of by companies when everything is ALL digital and they have no other choice but to get butt raped by EA and Activision. I'll make a post saying I told ya so....

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

I go all digital for xbox but physical for playstation.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 npiet1

@Yams1980 said:

i prefer physical. I don't see how me buying a few games and putting them on a shelf has anything to do with the plastic in the ocean... i don't live anywhere near the ocean and will never throw the games out.

The plastic problems are coming mostly from selfish counties like China and India that just mass dump their garbage into the ocean. If anything we should stop buying anything from China, but problem is almost everything is made there so its next to impossible.

The amount of garbage i add to landfills in microscopic because i recycle and if that fails, i burn it and melt it down.

Its amazing how little rubbish there actually is once you recycle, my 240l bin is almost empty but I fill 2 bins the same size of recycling every fortnight. (Family of 5)

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

I really like physical copies.....

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts
@demon-returns said:

Physical over Digital!

We live in a world now where so many people don't even understand the concept of ownership any more.

It saddens me that consumers don't side with GOG as much as they do with steam. GOG is the only digital distribution platform that is doing it right, imo.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#87 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

If they reduced the price of the digital editions, this would happen as a matter of course.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#88 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I've been focusing entirely on digital nowadays, but not because of the environment. I've just been doing it for convenience.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#89 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Save a server. Buy physical whenever possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Sorry but I like being sociable and going out to game stores to buy my games and talking to like minded gamers. It also allows me to shop around to find a better deal, and to trade in to save more money.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 npiet1

@i_p_daily: i dunno about where you live but the only people I see at my gameshop are cringy as hell, except for the ones who work there.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#92 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

I don't think the plastic that comes from physical videogames are even worth to talk about when it comes to the plastic of the world. But we're currently going the direction of no physical games. So we're already on it.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

We Should stop buying digital copies whenever possible!!!

Fixed.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

I don't buy them anymore for any game on any platform... History says they'll be stored in a bin in my attic never to be played again. Gimme digital all day every day.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Juub1990
@i_p_daily said:

Sorry but I like being sociable and going out to game stores to buy my games and talking to like minded gamers. It also allows me to shop around to find a better deal, and to trade in to save more money.

What part of the world do you live in? People I see buying games are more often than not extremely annoying.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

@mojito1988: no one is attacking community... Or your shops. The medium has moved on. You don't see CD racks anymore... Who buys blurays? Or dvds? With all those services out there....

Continue patronizing those little shops that make your community special. Restaurants, clothing stores, etc... But don't wear the weight of saving physical media on your shoulders when literally the entire world in every form of entertainment has moved on.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#97  Edited By thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Physical version: First the plastic disk and case has to be made - which is a waste in itself. Then there is the unnecessary transportation - another environmental burden.

Also, putting plastics in the recycle bin doesn't necessarily mean that it will get recycled - thanks to dodgy waste disposal practices. AND even if it does get recycled, LOTS of water is used up to make new plastic.

Furthermore it's unrealistic to expect that all plastic will be "disposed of correctly". Best solution is to minimize the production and usage of it in the fist place.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#98 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58941 Posts

I only buy a physical copy if it has a really cool cover.

Which these days is extremely rare.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Juub1990
@Litchie said:

I don't think the plastic that comes from physical videogames are even worth to talk about when it comes to the plastic of the world. But we're currently going the direction of no physical games. So we're already on it.

Every kind of plastic needs to be talked about. If it's unnecessary why use it? I understand some arguments about prices though. There's no reason digital copies should be the same price as physical ones.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

While I am pretty sure that the amount of plastic from games is literally a drop in the ocean, I am all digital on my pc already! Steam is the best thing that ever happened to pc gaming imo and should literally be the top of the list of why to choose pc over console every time!

That being said, I also own a a switch and Nintendo online store is stupidly expensive for some reason and as long as I can save 20-30% ordering online or go down to my local store to buy a physical copy I’ll do that... the second the lower their prices to br more aligned with the real world I will definitely go digital on switch aswell