Should the PS5 and Xbox Series X give up on ray tracing?

• 139 results
Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 8853 Posts

@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:

No.

so why did miles and ratchet both launched without 60fps with raytracing? then updated later to have raytracing and 60fps? also when the first trailer of ratchet and clank the raytracing was at a lower resolution from the final product.

they figured out later on how to implement it in 60fps mode.

Welfare RT while going back to 2011 resolutions isn't "figuring out different ways to do raytracing".

so there is no way for developers to figure out how to implement raytracing that is less gpu heavy? I guess lighting can't improve either because even though its got better over the years. I guess animations will never improve either. or hair will never improve either.

I guess this will be the best games will look ever. we are at the benchmark of games now. so I guess there no reason for new graphic cards or systems because we can't improve anything.

Nope. They can fake it, they can drop resolution down to 2011 levels, or they can use spatial upscaling which looks like dogshit. These weak consoles aren't magically going to gain new features that make RT a breeze, there is no DLSS to save them, get over it.

I crossed out all the nonsense fallacy shit you wrote.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 8931 Posts

@pc_rocks said:
@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:

And SM also ran at dynamic resolution or 900p. Don't remember which it is. Console optimization is just a myth and always have been. 'Optimization' would just mean turning one thing down to increase the other for the trailers/screenshots. There won't be any meaningful improvements than what you have already seen.

So console optimization is just a myth?

So going to the ps4/x1 gen, are you trying to tell me that games from those consoles launch timeframe, and games from their near sunset timeframe look virtually identical?

Yes and yes.

HELL NO!!!!

BF4 vs BF5 completely demolishes your response

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 ermacness

@Pedro said:
@ermacness said:

Ok I’ll bite:

1st off, from what I saw of the thread, the TC wasn’t trying to pass it off as a port, but just saying that a last gen port was running in 900p on the worlds most powerful console. It was the butthurt people who was claiming that the TC was claiming that it was a xsx port, trying to deflect.

2ndly, the same backlash was issued on cows when a “last gen“ port by the name of Biomutant performed poorly on the ps5, in which YOU had a helping hand in the backlash at cows in that particular thread, so excuse me if I find your entire rebuttal ironic at best.

3rdly, even if the TC was trying to pass if the game as a xsx port, I WASN’T. My point was the damage control that lems displayed in that particular thread. You do remember who and why I was quoting before you stuck your nose in the conversation, right?

What even makes this debate that much more laughably is that the xsx is supposed to be the GOAT when it comes down to BC.

Here is the problem with everything you stated, NO-ONE in that thread said anything about the game being a port because it wasn’t. TC was factually trying to pass the game off as a Series X game because no rational person would try to link the resolution of a BC game to the power of a system. It was that simple. You claimed that the thread was an example of lems using bad port as an excuse in response to @pc_rocks. Unfortunately, that was false. 🙂

Biomutant resolution was not upgraded because the developer had issues with the PS5 running the game at a higher resolution, so they opted to 1080p. That is directly from the developer.

I don’t have the time or care to go back and forth with you on this. It’s very clear what tactics you use. I just don’t have the patience to rip apart your rebuttal, so in other words, “round 1 to you sir”.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#104 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 3541 Posts

@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:

No.

so why did miles and ratchet both launched without 60fps with raytracing? then updated later to have raytracing and 60fps? also when the first trailer of ratchet and clank the raytracing was at a lower resolution from the final product.

Welfare RT while going back to 2011 resolutions isn't "figuring out different ways to do raytracing".

so there is no way for developers to figure out how to implement raytracing that is less gpu heavy? I guess lighting can't improve either because even though its got better over the years. I guess animations will never improve either. or hair will never improve either.

I guess this will be the best games will look ever. we are at the benchmark of games now. so I guess there no reason for new graphic cards or systems because we can't improve anything.

Nope. They can fake it, they can drop resolution down to 2011 levels, or they can use spatial upscaling which looks like dogshit. These weak consoles aren't magically going to gain new features that make RT a breeze, there is no DLSS to save them, get over it.

ratchet and clank looks far from dogshit. amd will have there own dlss soon.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Fedor

@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:

R & C is welfare RT.

"amd will have there own dlss soon."

No they won't, they will have spatial upscaling which I already referenced. Stop talking about stuff you don't know anything about.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Gifford38

@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:

R & C is welfare RT.

No they won't, they will have spatial upscaling which I already referenced. Stop talking about stuff you don't know anything about.

so 1080p is welfare raytracing now ok.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-fidelityfx-super-resolution?gclid=CjwKCAjwlrqHBhByEiwAnLmYUHXlSONuatzXjn7csbA_RxXcWJuK2GgYbIH8TlWQb5nZD1H_ut_JeBoCv-kQAvD_BwE

there you go its there comparing it to dlss.

AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) uses cutting-edge upscaling technologies to help boost your framerates in select titles1 and deliver high-quality, high-resolution gaming experiences, without having to upgrade to a new graphics card.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Fedor

@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:

R & C is welfare RT.

Yes. it's only reflections as well.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-fidelityfx-super-resolution?gclid=CjwKCAjwlrqHBhByEiwAnLmYUHXlSONuatzXjn7csbA_RxXcWJuK2GgYbIH8TlWQb5nZD1H_ut_JeBoCv-kQAvD_BwE

AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) uses cutting-edge upscaling technologies to help boost your framerates in select titles1 and deliver high-quality, high-resolution gaming experiences, without having to upgrade to a new graphics card.

Stop talking about stuff you know nothing about.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Gifford38

@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:

R & C is welfare RT.

i just gave you a link to the source. its not what im saying its what the site says.

DLSS stands for deep learning super sampling. It's a type of video rendering technique that looks to boost framerates by rendering frames at a lower resolution than displayed and using deep learning, a type of AI, to upscale the frames so that they look as sharp as expected at the native resolution.

looks the same to me.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Fedor

@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:

R & C is welfare RT.

looks the same to me.

It doesn't matter what you anecdotally think. DLSS and SR don't work the same and they don't produce the same results. DLSS is far superior, you can cry about it if you want to. ML >>>>>spatial upscaling. Deal with it.

mane_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 mane_basic
Member since 2002 • 447 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

I do think we're a generation out from ray-tracing become a mainstay on consoles, especially due to AMD's lack of dedicated RT hardware (they use repurposed TMUs). Even on PC it's probably going to take GeForce RTX 40 or 50 and Radeon RX 7000 or 8000 cards for RT to start becoming worth it.

At this point it's more of a gimmicky selling point. Yeah, I think they should focus more on standard raster performance and 60 fps for now.

u r joking right.. the rtx 30 does rt very well.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Gifford38

@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:

looks the same to me.

It doesn't matter what you anecdotally think. DLSS and SR don't work the same and they don't produce the same results. DLSS is far superior, you can cry about it if you want to. ML >>>>>spatial upscaling. Deal with it.

and you know that because its out already right? what are you going by dlss is better?

thats like saying 2021 make of a car is better than the 2022 before it comes out.

nothing has been tested to back up your claim that dlss is better.

I think the amd one is more aimed for consoles

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#112  Edited By UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3938 Posts

@gifford38 said:

The "Lumen" system in Unreal Engine 5 calculates dynamic bounce-lighting without raytracing. It looks pretty damn awesome, but it has some drawbacks compared to actual ray-tracing (ie. the artist has to do some work to support it).

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Fedor

@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:

looks the same to me.

and you know that because its out already right? what are you going by dlss is better?

thats like saying 2021 make of a car is better than the 2022 before it comes out.

nothing has been tested to back up your claim that dlss is better.

I think the amd one is more aimed for consoles

It is literally already out, I've already used it personally, there are reviews and everything, it is not "aimed for consoles" either. Stop making yourself look dumb.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#114 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 16548 Posts

@gifford38: it isn't even on par with TAAU

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 5766 Posts

@gifford38 said:
@pc_rocks said:

Yes and yes.

sorry looking at games like ghost and last of us 2 etc. look beyond launch titles.

you don't think they will figure out different ways to do raytracing etc.

look at ratchet and clank and miles both launched without 60fps with ray tracing. now they both have 60fps with raytracing.

animations and lighting and shadows in spiderman go beyond second son.

trust me developers just scratched the surface with these next gen titles.

it's not just about graphics its lighting, higher textured assets and more of them, animation, and depth of field.

can't wait until 12 months from now when the 2nd wave of games comes like god of war or horizon or games like fable or starfield.

Sorry, but GoT and TLOU2 technical makeup isn't head nad shoulder above hat was released around the launch. They just traded one setting for another with marginal improvements. The only difference between them is different settings/art/direction/new coat of paint or just better and more animation variety. Actually games were downgraded later e.g. AC: Unity to whatever AC is now.

They may find different ways to do ray-tracing which would just mean dialing it down in one aspect for the other. They won't be magically shooting and tracing more rays than what they already did. No matter how much you want but you can't fight against the laws of physics.

shadyacshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#116 shadyacshuns
Member since 2007 • 6644 Posts

Instead of asking armchair trolls here, ask the developers of the games.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 PC_Rocks

@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:
@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:

And SM also ran at dynamic resolution or 900p. Don't remember which it is. Console optimization is just a myth and always have been. 'Optimization' would just mean turning one thing down to increase the other for the trailers/screenshots. There won't be any meaningful improvements than what you have already seen.

So going to the ps4/x1 gen, are you trying to tell me that games from those consoles launch timeframe, and games from their near sunset timeframe look virtually identical?

Yes and yes.

HELL NO!!!!

BF4 was a PS3 game limited to not use physically based rendering.

So, hell yes! There's no way around laws of physics.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 ermacness

@pc_rocks said:
@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:
@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:

Yes and yes.

HELL NO!!!!

Excuses etc…

You look completely foolish stating that launch ps4/x1 games looked just as good as the games that came out earlier last year. That’s as an idiotic statement as stating that there’s no difference between pc and consoles ports.

x_hedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#119 x_hedon
Member since 2019 • 950 Posts

@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:

R&C is a cute game, and fun at times. But it bored me near the end.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By PC_Rocks

@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:

Excuses etc…

You look completely foolish stating that launch ps4/x1 games looked just as good as the games that came out earlier last year. That’s as an idiotic statement as stating that there’s no difference between pc and consoles ports.

Yes, I did. KZ:SF, Ryse are both launch games and after that the the technical makeup of the games didn't evolve. Th efact that you knew I'm right and had to cherry pick a prior gen game to DC shows who's making the excuses.

Remain mad. No matter how much you cry there's no getting around the laws of physics, only fools like yourselves believe that or even worse who don't but act like it's true.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By ermacness

@pc_rocks said:
@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:

Excuses etc…

Yes, I did. KZ:SF, Ryse are both launch games and after that the the technical makeup of the games didn't evolve. Th efact that you knew I'm right and had to cherry pick a prior gen game to DC shows who's making the excuses.

Remain mad. No matter how much you cry there's no getting around the laws of physics, only fools like yourselves believe that or even worse who don't but act like it's true.

1st off BF after 4 not being capable of running on the ps3/360 was a true testament that games was evolving weather you want to believe it or not. As you said it yourself, BF4 was a ps3/360 game, and BF1, BF5 couldn’t be ported on the ps3/360 is definite proof that games was evolving. Including games like GoT, TLoU2, RE7, are not needed in this debate. So in all actuality, I should be thanking you.

2ndly, BF4 on the ps4/x1 was MUCH more than just “a last gen port“ seeing that these ports was capable of having 64 players in a match, 60 frames (although it wasn’t “locked” it did run at a higher frame count than 30, in which the previous gen only ran it at 30 frames, and even then it dipped), and had HD textures (something that was lacking in the previous gen ports). The ps4/x1 ports was MUCH closer to the pc port than the ps3/360 versions. Because of this, I’d hardly call it a “ps3 port”.

Facts are facts, you’re just going to have to learn to deal.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26341 Posts

@theam0g said:

@DragonfireXZ95: 'Not true. Metro Exodus Enhanced gives 100 fps with ray tracing on and DLSS set to quality at 1440p on a 3090'

I was getting over 100fps in 1440p with my 3090 with DLSS turned off. 120+ with it turned on. (There's no need to use DLSS if you have a 3090)

Yeah, I meant 100+ FPS. I also play in 3440x1440, not regular 1440p. Also, yes, there is a reason to use DLSS; more frames = better.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 PC_Rocks

@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:

1st off BF after 4 not being capable of running on the ps3/360 was a true testament that games was evolving weather you want to believe it or not. As you said it yourself, BF4 was a ps3/360 game, and BF1, BF5 couldn’t be ported on the ps3/360 is definite proof that games was evolving. Including games like GoT, TLoU2, RE7, are not needed in this debate. So in all actuality, I should be thanking you.

2ndly, BF4 on the ps4/x1 was MUCH more than just “a last gen port“ seeing that these ports was capable of having 64 players in a match, 60 frames (although it wasn’t “locked” it did run at a higher frame count than 30, in which the previous gen only ran it at 30 frames, and even then it dipped), and had HD textures (something that was lacking in the previous gen ports). The ps4/x1 ports was MUCH closer to the pc port than the ps3/360 versions. Because of this, I’d hardly call it a “ps3 port”.

Facts are facts, you’re just going to have to learn to deal.

All that drivel is irrelevant. Fact is PS4/X1 was tapped out at the beginning and there's no siginificant improvements in the later games. Same will happen with PS5/XSX. Keep trying to fight a good fight against laws of physics and have fun disproving it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#124 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 52568 Posts

@pc_rocks: There is room for improvements if all three are ever used together, mesh shaders, sampler feedback and direct storage.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 PC_Rocks

@Pedro said:

@pc_rocks: There is room for improvements if all three are ever used together, mesh shaders, sampler feedback and direct storage.

None of that will drastically improve the visuals as others are hoping besides PS5 doesn't have those or at least they haven't listed those publicly.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Pedro

@pc_rocks: Those technologies improve performance and can improve visuals.

x_hedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#127 x_hedon
Member since 2019 • 950 Posts

Developers are already dropping Ray Tracing support on the PS5 :(

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/extra-extra-f1-2021-drops-ray-tracing-on-ps5-33564537/

The good news is, the Xbox can handle it.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#128 dabear
Member since 2002 • 4100 Posts

@NoodleFighter: Do you really expect people to read that long post? Jeez.

Anyway, no they should not give up ray tracing. Just because they can't do it as well as on the PC doesn't mean the feature should be abandoned.

PC games can always push the limits, because people are willing to drop $4k to do it. But, they have to play games on a PC, which I always LOL at (gaming on a PC sucks ass).

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By DragonfireXZ95

@dabear said:

Anyway, no they should not give up ray tracing. Just because they can't do it as well as on the PC doesn't mean the feature should be abandoned.

PC games can always push the limits, because people are willing to drop $4k to do it. But, they have to play games on a PC, which I always LOL at (gaming on a PC sucks ass).

It's funny how you admit that consoles suck and yet somehow reach to say they are better to game on than a PC. The hypocrisy is quite strong.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 454 Posts

Only PC should use ray tracing I don't like AMD's ray tracing seems fake to me.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By dabear
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@dabear said:

It's funny how you admit that consoles suck and yet somehow reach to say they are better to game on than a PC. The hypocrisy is quite strong.

I didn't say they "suck", I said that a $500 console probably won't out perform a $4k PC.

But, *gaming* on PCs sucks - so what's the point? There's a lot more to playing video games than graphics.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
@dabear said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@dabear said:

I didn't say they "suck", I said that a $500 console probably won't out perform a $4k PC.

But, *gaming* on PCs sucks - so what's the point? There's a lot more to playing video games than graphics.

Nah, you're just living in 2005. That's very boomer of you.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 dabear

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@dabear said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@dabear said:

Nah, you're just living in 2005. That's very boomer of you.

"Boomer of me"... LOL. The boomer gen puts your gen to shame. Hell, they put my gen to shame, and my gen still 1000x better than your gen. But, I digress...

PC gaming sucks. Using a KB and mouse is great if you're a zit faced hermit who hides in his room alone, eating hot pockets and drinking Mountain Dew while gaming. But, us adults who game with friends over beer, we like to play in the living room, on our comfy sofa, with a controller.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Pedro

@dabear said:

"Boomer of me"... LOL. The boomer gen puts your gen to shame. Hell, they put my gen to shame, and my gen still 1000x better than your gen. But, I digress...

PC gaming sucks. Using a KB and mouse is great if you're a zit faced hermit who hides in his room alone, eating hot pockets and drinking Mountain Dew while gaming. But, us adults who game with friends over beer, we like to play in the living room, on our comfy sofa, with a controller.

You know you can connect a controller to a PC.🤔

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#135 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 16052 Posts

@Pedro said:
@dabear said:

Yea, I game on PC almost exclusively with a controller.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
@Pedro said:
@dabear said:

I would have bothered saying this, but I kind of liked dabear being ignorant like a boomer. 😂

"E-mail?! That's too complicated! I like to get all of my mail the old fashioned way. You youngins don't know what it's like to walk uphill both ways to get to my mailbox to collect the mail!"

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By dabear
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Pedro said:
@dabear said:

I would have bothered saying this, but I kind of liked dabear being ignorant like a boomer. 😂

"E-mail?! That's too complicated! I like to get all of my mail the old fashioned way. You youngins don't know what it's like to walk uphill both ways to get to my mailbox to collect the mail!"

Yes, I know you can use a controller with a lot of PC games. I still don't want to have a PC hooked up to my TV in my living room - that's what consoles are for. Its an easier, more fun experience to play games on a console than a PC.

I am on a PC all day - I don't want to be on one after work hours as well.

And @DragonfireXZ95, I work in technology at a billion dollar company (we achieved "unicorn status" last month) - I am using new tech probably far earlier than you.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 DragonfireXZ95

@dabear said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Pedro said:
@dabear said:

Yes, I know you can use a controller with a lot of PC games. I still don't want to have a PC hooked up to my TV in my living room - that's what consoles are for. Its an easier, more fun experience to play games on a console than a PC.

I am on a PC all day - I don't want to be on one after work hours as well.

And @DragonfireXZ95, I work in technology at a billion dollar company (we achieved "unicorn status" last month) - I am using new tech probably far earlier than you.

Thanks for bringing my sardonic comment to life. 😂

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10843 Posts

Raytraced games fall into one of two camps for me, either I can't tell the difference or the effect is so overdone that it looks worse (ie suddently everything has a mirrored surface and is shiney af). It's just like physx or any other tech nvidia tries to push, it runs like ass and 9 times out of 10 it either looks worse or just different, not necessarily better.