Should the PS5 and Xbox Series X give up on ray tracing?

• 137 results
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#51 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69434 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Honestly if you asked me to point out what RT actually is in a game, I'd probably have difficulty doing so lol. This type of stuff is for gear heads trying to justify their expensive PCs.

That is a strange thing to say when Ray tracing was being hyped for Ratchet.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:

They can't and they won't because they need as many bullet points/buzzwords as they can to reel the suckers in. But it's fun to see the cows DC when their precious plastic box performs worse than a 2060 and saying bad ports. They will be calling bad ports for the rest of the gen.

You are aware that the xsx doesn’t do too much better at RT right?

Like ,why only call out the cows on this one?

Haven't seen a lem yet hiding behind 'bad ports' excuse. This is exclusively a cow trait and always has been.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#53 KvallyX  Online
Member since 2019 • 12947 Posts

Yes, the PS5 should stop. They are already having to reduce resolution too much as it is.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

@x_hedon said:

Yes, the PS5 should stop. They are already having to reduce resolution too much as it is.

What about the weakest Series S?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#55 KvallyX  Online
Member since 2019 • 12947 Posts

@zerothehero said:
@x_hedon said:

What about the weakest Series S?

Or the weakestest, low end PCs?

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@jasonofa36 said:

Yep. Just focus on getting 60+ FPS. That's way more noticeable than console raytracing.

I would agree. I've tried RT on Spiderman and Control, and it is nice, but it's not that big of a change/experience.

Hoping to try it on the Series X sometime this week, but expect the same outcome.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

@gifford38 said:

lmao you think the games shown now is next gen limits? miles is the best ps5 can do lmao. sense when in the history of gaming they have tapped all the power of the nextgen system in the first year.

they will find better ways to do it. they already have. getting miles and ratchet and clank at 60fps with raytracing. miles as well did not have it when it launched. is there a reason to get ray tracing at the same resolution as the game?

The days of console graphics improving drastically over the generation are gone. The consoles run on x86 architecture so it is easy to tap into their power compared to consoles of previous generations. Why do you think the PS4 and Xbox One got mid gen upgrades? Because they were already at their limits and there was no optimization left to have them keep up with PC graphics.

Take a look at Infamous Second Son a PS4 launch title versus Spiderman a late gen PS4 title.

Spiderman is only marginally better at best and looks very similar to Infamous in graphics especially the environments. The only noticeable difference Spiderman has over Infamous is better looking character models in cutscenes.

What you're going to be seeing is developers utilizing new rendering/software techniques to reduce the load like mesh shading and temporal AA upscaling. Along with smoke and mirrors to make it look like the real thing. But all that can be done on PC too so the gap in RT performance doesn't close at all.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Honestly if you asked me to point out what RT actually is in a game, I'd probably have difficulty doing so lol. This type of stuff is for gear heads trying to justify their expensive PCs.

yeah.going to be honest here. when people use the term ray tracing.... they us pr speak fron nvidia.

seeing G.I. is a very dense subject matter.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10612 Posts

@pc_rocks said:
@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:

They can't and they won't because they need as many bullet points/buzzwords as they can to reel the suckers in. But it's fun to see the cows DC when their precious plastic box performs worse than a 2060 and saying bad ports. They will be calling bad ports for the rest of the gen.

You are aware that the xsx doesn’t do too much better at RT right?

Like ,why only call out the cows on this one?

Haven't seen a lem yet hiding behind 'bad ports' excuse. This is exclusively a cow trait and always has been.

Then I take it that you wasn’t here when the lems was on full damage control when a thread that was created statin that Dark Souls 3 was running in a native resolution of 900p, wasn’t you?

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: 'Not true. Metro Exodus Enhanced gives 100 fps with ray tracing on and DLSS set to quality at 1440p on a 3090'

I was getting over 100fps in 1440p with my 3090 with DLSS turned off. 120+ with it turned on. (There's no need to use DLSS if you have a 3090)

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

@theam0g said:

@DragonfireXZ95: 'Not true. Metro Exodus Enhanced gives 100 fps with ray tracing on and DLSS set to quality at 1440p on a 3090'

I was getting over 100fps in 1440p with my 3090 with DLSS turned off. 120+ with it turned on. (There's no need to use DLSS if you have a 3090)

in other games its need. up coming bf game. oh yeah.

seems gpu simple cant do native anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

@ermacness: you got him good. 🤣

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Pedro  Online

@ermacness said:

Then I take it that you wasn’t here when the lems was on full damage control when a thread that was created statin that Dark Souls 3 was running in a native resolution of 900p, wasn’t you?

You mean the thread in which the OP was passing of a BC game as a Series X game.😂

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 ermacness

@Pedro said:
@ermacness said:

You mean the thread in which the OP was passing of a BC game as a Series X game.😂

And just like that, the point COMPLETELY missed it’s mark.

That tends to happen when one tries to push an unimportant agenda.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Pedro  Online

@ermacness said:

So you are talking about the thread that tried to pass a BC game as Series X game and now you are claiming it was being challenged as a bad port. Interesting.🤔Care to point out where anyone talked about the game being a port?

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ermacness

@Pedro said:
@ermacness said:

So you are talking about the thread that tried to pass a BC game as Series X game and now you are claiming it was being challenged as a bad port. Interesting.🤔Care to point out where anyone talked about the game being a port?

Ok I’ll bite:

1st off, from what I saw of the thread, the TC wasn’t trying to pass it off as a port, but just saying that a last gen port was running in 900p on the worlds most powerful console. It was the butthurt people who was claiming that the TC was claiming that it was a xsx port, trying to deflect.

2ndly, the same backlash was issued on cows when a “last gen“ port by the name of Biomutant performed poorly on the ps5, in which YOU had a helping hand in the backlash at cows in that particular thread, so excuse me if I find your entire rebuttal ironic at best.

3rdly, even if the TC was trying to pass if the game as a xsx port, I WASN’T. My point was the damage control that lems displayed in that particular thread. You do remember who and why I was quoting before you stuck your nose in the conversation, right?

What even makes this debate that much more laughably is that the xsx is supposed to be the GOAT when it comes down to BC.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Pedro  Online

@ermacness said:

Ok I’ll bite:

1st off, from what I saw of the thread, the TC wasn’t trying to pass it off as a port, but just saying that a last gen port was running in 900p on the worlds most powerful console. It was the butthurt people who was claiming that the TC was claiming that it was a xsx port, trying to deflect.

2ndly, the same backlash was issued on cows when a “last gen“ port by the name of Biomutant performed poorly on the ps5, in which YOU had a helping hand in the backlash at cows in that particular thread, so excuse me if I find your entire rebuttal ironic at best.

3rdly, even if the TC was trying to pass if the game as a xsx port, I WASN’T. My point was the damage control that lems displayed in that particular thread. You do remember who and why I was quoting before you stuck your nose in the conversation, right?

What even makes this debate that much more laughably is that the xsx is supposed to be the GOAT when it comes down to BC.

Here is the problem with everything you stated, NO-ONE in that thread said anything about the game being a port because it wasn’t. TC was factually trying to pass the game off as a Series X game because no rational person would try to link the resolution of a BC game to the power of a system. It was that simple. You claimed that the thread was an example of lems using bad port as an excuse in response to @pc_rocks. Unfortunately, that was false. 🙂

Biomutant resolution was not upgraded because the developer had issues with the PS5 running the game at a higher resolution, so they opted to 1080p. That is directly from the developer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-611edca0d6021

@ermacness said:
@Pedro said:
@ermacness said:

Ok I’ll bite:

Pedro is trying to run that false narrative that I was saying a 2016 game was a Series X game. Lmao, only at Pedro's Fantasy Land.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Pedro  Online

@wonderwinner said:

Pedro is trying to run that false narrative that I was saying a 2016 game was a Series X game. Lmao, only at Pedro's Fantasy Land.

Not a false narrative, it can all be seen in your thread. 😎

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-611edca0d6021
@Pedro said:
@ermacness said:

Ok I’ll bite:

Here is the problem with everything you stated, NO-ONE in that thread said anything about the game being a port because it wasn’t. TC was factually trying to pass the game off as a Series X game because no rational person would try to link the resolution of a BC game to the power of a system. It was that simple. You claimed that the thread was an example of lems using bad port as an excuse in response to @pc_rocks. Unfortunately, that was false. 🙂

Biomutant resolution was not upgraded because the developer had issues with the PS5 running the game at a higher resolution, so they opted to 1080p. That is directly from the developer.

It was a troll bait thread, Pedro, and you and your fellow lemmings fell for it. I never tried to pass a 2016 as a Series X game. Take the L.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Pedro  Online

@wonderwinner said:

It was a troll bait thread, Pedro, and you and your fellow lemmings fell for it. I never tried to pass a 2016 as a Series X game. Take the L.

You admit is troll bait but don’t want to admit that bait was you passing a BC game as a Series X game. 😂 Now you have you buddy here arguing that the thread was about folks claiming it is bad port because he was upset that dev couldn’t run Biomutant on PS5 because of technical issues.🤭

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By PC_Rocks

@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:

Haven't seen but again that's not relevant at all because we are not discussing X1 or last gen here and the standard defense as pointed out earlier is exclusive to cows and cows alone. Feel free to point out to lems or sheeps or anyone apart from cows using the 'bad port' excuse when losing to PCs factually superior hardware.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-611edca0d6021

@Pedro said:
@wonderwinner said:

You admit is troll bait but don’t want to admit that bait was you passing a BC game as a Series X game. 😂 Now you have you buddy here arguing that the thread was about folks claiming it is bad port because he was upset that dev couldn’t run Biomutant on PS5 because of technical issues.🤭

OP cited FPS BOOST which is a known BC Feature. Your false narrative won't stick.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Pedro  Online

@wonderwinner: Seems like your purposely cut off the base of your thread in that pic. I wonder why?🤭

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46255 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

hahahahaha

Next gen feature right here. I've seen better water in PS3 games. Even PS2 had better looking water than this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-611edca0d6021
@Pedro said:

@wonderwinner: Seems like your purposely cut off the base of your thread in that pic. I wonder why?🤭

Nice deflection. Take the L, Pedro, you fell for the bait lmao.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Pedro  Online

@wonderwinner said:
@Pedro said:

Nice deflection. Take the L, Pedro, you fell for the bait lmao.

Bait? In your mind, anyone responding to you is biting your bait, in a forum. 🤣 You got railed in that thread. So bad that you felt the need to defend yourself in this thread and still failed. 😂

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By deactivated-611edca0d6021

@Pedro: I'm accepting your concession of defeat and that you took the L. Now have the last word.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Pedro  Online

@wonderwinner said:

@Pedro: I'm accepting your concession of defeat and that you took the L. Now have the last word.

I keep telling you and your goons, the last word approach doesn't work. You were called out on your nonsense and you are now actively trying to backpedal. It got so bad that even mods called you out on your nonsense. You couldn't even respond to them because of shame. 😂

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

They should raytracing and 4k all together. 60 fps on top of it.

The GPU's are just not strong enough.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-611edca0d6021

@Gatygun: there should be at least a mode where all this is available for future proofing.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

@wonderwinner said:

@Gatygun: there should be at least a mode where all this is available for future proofing.

Good point.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#83  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

No, they should give up on 4k, though.

Something like 1440p60 with ray tracing is the perfect balance, and like a few games already proved, it's perfectly possible.

That said, not every game needs ray tracing, of course.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Pedro  Online

@PAL360 said:

No, they should give up on 4k, though.

Something like 1440p60 with ray tracing is the perfect balance, and like a few games already proved, it's perfectly possible.

Indeed

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

It's a miracle consoles have any RT support, I've been pretty happy with it, only gonna get better in a couple of years when PS5 PRO and SeriesX2 release.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Pedro  Online

@Epak_ said:

It's a miracle consoles have any RT support, I've been pretty happy with it, only gonna get better in a couple of years when PS5 PRO and SeriesX2 release.

I look forward to breakthrough tech that utilizes the tech more efficiently.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Epak_ said:

I look forward to breakthrough tech that utilizes the tech more efficiently.

That too.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#88 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@Pedro: Same. If devs manage to run ray tracing at 60fps this early in the gen, i can only guess the insane results of better optimization.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 PC_Rocks

@NoodleFighter said:
@gifford38 said:

lmao you think the games shown now is next gen limits? miles is the best ps5 can do lmao. sense when in the history of gaming they have tapped all the power of the nextgen system in the first year.

they will find better ways to do it. they already have. getting miles and ratchet and clank at 60fps with raytracing. miles as well did not have it when it launched. is there a reason to get ray tracing at the same resolution as the game?

The days of console graphics improving drastically over the generation are gone. The consoles run on x86 architecture so it is easy to tap into their power compared to consoles of previous generations. Why do you think the PS4 and Xbox One got mid gen upgrades? Because they were already at their limits and there was no optimization left to have them keep up with PC graphics.

Take a look at Infamous Second Son a PS4 launch title versus Spiderman a late gen PS4 title.

Spiderman is only marginally better at best and looks very similar to Infamous in graphics especially the environments. The only noticeable difference Spiderman has over Infamous is better looking character models in cutscenes.

What you're going to be seeing is developers utilizing new rendering/software techniques to reduce the load like mesh shading and temporal AA upscaling. Along with smoke and mirrors to make it look like the real thing. But all that can be done on PC too so the gap in RT performance doesn't close at all.

And SM also ran at dynamic resolution or 900p. Don't remember which it is. Console optimization is just a myth and always have been. 'Optimization' would just mean turning one thing down to increase the other for the trailers/screenshots. There won't be any meaningful improvements than what you have already seen.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 ermacness

@pc_rocks said:
@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:

Haven't seen but again that's not relevant at all because we are not discussing X1 or last gen here and the standard defense as pointed out earlier is exclusive to cows and cows alone. Feel free to point out to lems or sheeps or anyone apart from cows using the 'bad port' excuse when losing to PCs factually superior hardware.

1. Neither am I. What I was showing you was that not only cows cry “lazy devs” or blame it on the coding.

2. No it isn’t. In fact most cows (not the hardcore crowd) acknowledge the superior ports in the pc/xsx platforms because they’re superior in performance. The only time I saw cows cry “bad port” was when the port on the xss was either similar or slightly better looking than the ps5 version. In fact, the “bad port” and optimization excuses came mostly from the lem camp especially at the beginning of this gen.

3. Please point out when cows used “bad port” when comparing against the pc. Cows for the most part know that the ox will have superior ports. Outside of the extreme cows that lurk here, I never recall a moment when cows utilize the “bad port” term when going against the pc unless the ps5/ps4 version had a obvious defect that was later rectified.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 ermacness
@pc_rocks said:
@NoodleFighter said:
@gifford38 said:

And SM also ran at dynamic resolution or 900p. Don't remember which it is. Console optimization is just a myth and always have been. 'Optimization' would just mean turning one thing down to increase the other for the trailers/screenshots. There won't be any meaningful improvements than what you have already seen.

So console optimization is just a myth?

So going to the ps4/x1 gen, are you trying to tell me that games from those consoles launch timeframe, and games from their near sunset timeframe look virtually identical?

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 PC_Rocks

@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:
@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:

1. Neither am I. What I was showing you was that not only cows cry “lazy devs” or blame it on the coding.

2. No it isn’t. In fact most cows (not the hardcore crowd) acknowledge the superior ports in the pc/xsx platforms because they’re superior in performance. The only time I saw cows cry “bad port” was when the port on the xss was either similar or slightly better looking than the ps5 version. In fact, the “bad port” and optimization excuses came mostly from the lem camp especially at the beginning of this gen.

3. Please point out when cows used “bad port” when comparing against the pc. Cows for the most part know that the ox will have superior ports. Outside of the extreme cows that lurk here, I never recall a moment when cows utilize the “bad port” term when going against the pc unless the ps5/ps4 version had a obvious defect that was later rectified.

1. Yes, you are as you're bringing an irrelevant thing to the discussion.

2. LOL, no. Not even close. Cows were chanting and have been chanting the 'bad ports' excuse against losing to RTX 20260 since the very beginning or even before that when they tried their best to DC the yet to be released PS5 losing to then a year old laptop in UE5.

3. Already answered above but you can search this thread for the excuse as well. Surely yo would have came across it because you else managed to read my post that you quoted.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By PC_Rocks
@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:

So going to the ps4/x1 gen, are you trying to tell me that games from those consoles launch timeframe, and games from their near sunset timeframe look virtually identical?

Yes and yes.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7156 Posts

@pc_rocks said:
@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:

Yes and yes.

sorry looking at games like ghost and last of us 2 etc. look beyond launch titles.

you don't think they will figure out different ways to do raytracing etc.

look at ratchet and clank and miles both launched without 60fps with ray tracing. now they both have 60fps with raytracing.

animations and lighting and shadows in spiderman go beyond second son.

trust me developers just scratched the surface with these next gen titles.

it's not just about graphics its lighting, higher textured assets and more of them, animation, and depth of field.

can't wait until 12 months from now when the 2nd wave of games comes like god of war or horizon or games like fable or starfield.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Pedro  Online

@gifford38 said:

sorry looking at games like ghost and last of us 2 etc. look beyond launch titles.

look at ratchet and clank and miles both launched without 60fps with ray tracing. now they both have 60fps with raytracing.

it's not just about graphics its lighting, higher textured assets and more of them, animation, and depth of field.

can't wait until 12 months from now when the 2nd wave of games comes like god of war or horizon or games like fable or starfield.

Weren’t you arguing about games being held back by older systems?🤔

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@gifford38 said:
@pc_rocks said:
@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:

Yes and yes.

No.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Gifford38

@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@pc_rocks said:
@ermacness said:
@pc_rocks said:

Yes and yes.

No.

so why did miles and ratchet both launched without 60fps with raytracing? then updated later to have raytracing and 60fps? also when the first trailer of ratchet and clank the raytracing was at a lower resolution from the final product.

they figured out later on how to implement it in 60fps mode.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@pc_rocks said:
@ermacness said:

Yes and yes.

No.

so why did miles and ratchet both launched without 60fps with raytracing? then updated later to have raytracing and 60fps? also when the first trailer of ratchet and clank the raytracing was at a lower resolution from the final product.

Welfare RT while going back to 2011 resolutions isn't "figuring out different ways to do raytracing".

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Gifford38
@Pedro said:
@gifford38 said:

Weren’t you arguing about games being held back by older systems?🤔

its not the systems that hold back the graphics. developing one game on 2 benchmarks is what holds them back. time is what holding them back. they don't flip a switch and the game runs on older consoles. they got to make it work on both systems.

we need to take this out or add this to make look next gen ect.

if developers concentrated on one console gen (series x and ps5) the more they can get done on that one game. the more they can polish the one version.

heck cyberpunk is still being worked on to run better on old consoles.

it just depends on the developers vision for there next game and realize last gen will not allow them to do it.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Gifford38

@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@pc_rocks said:

Yes and yes.

No.

Welfare RT while going back to 2011 resolutions isn't "figuring out different ways to do raytracing".

so there is no way for developers to figure out how to implement raytracing that is less gpu heavy? I guess lighting can't improve either because even though its got better over the years. I guess animations will never improve either. or hair will never improve either.

I guess this will be the best games will look ever. we are at the benchmark of games now. so I guess there no reason for new graphic cards or systems because we can't improve anything.