Should Sony/Microsoft still consider a midgen console refresh at this point?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should Sony/Microsoft still consider a midgen console refresh at this point? (29 votes)

Yes 31%
No 69%

Normally I would say yes, but considering the supply chain issues, not sure if it makes sense for them to come out with ah midgen refresh at this point. What do you think, SW?

• 
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

My take on this means little. Not interested in these consoles as is, a refresh won't change that.

On the one hand though, always nice to have an option for better hardware. On the other, man, doesn't even feel like this console gen has started yet lol. Seems unnecessary.

Still though, won't be surprised if we see a refresh. Have a feeling this will be a long gen.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

Well i thought both the X1X and PS4 Pro were a pointless exercise so i think a XSX PRo and PS5X would also be pointless. They should do slim models but that's about it.

In terms of an actual upgrade they should wait until the usual 10X ish jump is available.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

They'll 100% do a mid gen refresh.

I think what people fail is realize is that they never made up a significant portion of the consoles sold. They just cater to folks that want the best possible experience on said platform.

What's more interesting is how they'll market them. Last gen had the easy job of just calling them 4k consoles. This time around, it'll have to be what? enhanced ray tracing? AI upscaling? 120fps gaming across the board? It's a much harder sell imo.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

Should they do it? Sure it's a good idea at some point. When should they do it, I'd say next year at the earliest, but 2024 would be even better. Think about it, rdna3 hasn't even launched yet. An year from now, rdna3 will mature and the price will drop somewhat.

They should target a $800 price range for the refresh consoles imo, possibly even $900.

The one thing I'm not happy about is that devs have barely tapped into the features of rdna2 for consoles, not even frs2.0 has been used for the consoles which is frankly the stupidest thing so far.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#5 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

As I understand it, PS4 Pro and XBone X were profitable.

Basically, you worded your question wrong. For Sony and Microsoft, it should read; "do you like money?"

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#6 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

This is a huge reason why I haven't gotten a PS5 yet. Though it would be interesting if Sony announced a Pro model in 2024/2025 for $600. Though it would probably make developers have to work between PS5/PS4/Pro so you wouldn't see the Pro being used to it's fullest capabilities.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

PS6 should just release 2025/26. No need for a mid gen upgrade. Next console will also need to be $399 or $499 with optical drive. What happens to the series S if the X gets a midgen upgrade? Games will still have to be made for it. Right now, it doesn't seem an issue. But with possibly a 20TF console, that's a huge difference.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44152 Posts

Don’t really care one way or the other to be honest. I guess they did well enough with it last gen so I could see them doing it again.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

LOL no. The devs are still supporting last gen and with the increased cost of silicon along with the looming recession, only an idiot will think they will release mid-gen refresh.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

If its anything like the PS4 Pro, its not a refresh. That thing was nothing else but a way to drill your pockets and charge twice as much for a shitty console that ran everything at the same frames and visuals.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1144 Posts

I guess I have to ask what you mean by midgen refresh? Someone suggested something similar to the PS4 pro, but if that's the case and that's what you're sort of referring to, I would say no because the hardware we're currently using (PS5 and XBX) isn't being fully taken advantage of already.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

In 2-3 years, absolutely. These consoles launched with very “meh” GPUs. And while it was nice to join the modern times with competent CPUs, the clock speeds and cooling solutions need to be addressed in the consoles as well. The majority of games being cross-Gen to this point has hidden the inadequacies of the console hardware. But in the next couple of years, 30 fps and native 1080p-1440p are gonna be more and more common. And that will further expose the Series S as well.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

I couldn't care less. They could announce PS6 or the Xbox Series 360 Xtreme Mk 5 Pro BloX... and I still wouldn't buy them. Without games I want to play, it means nothing to me.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

PS6 should just release 2025/26. No need for a mid gen upgrade. Next console will also need to be $399 or $499 with optical drive. What happens to the series S if the X gets a midgen upgrade? Games will still have to be made for it. Right now, it doesn't seem an issue. But with possibly a 20TF console, that's a huge difference.

It's nearly 2023, and there is STILL barely any current gen games. If they release a console in 25/26, this is officially the worst gen in history. This gen already sucks SO BAD with the amount of cross gen games.

For the same reason, a mid gen upgrade makes no sense. Why don't they make use of what we have first.