Should Sony release a Vita successor soon?

  • 71 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#51 Posted by lundy86_4 (49129 posts) -

@Heirren said:

Na didn't suggest that at all, even if it could be true.

You said that they don't need either... What were you talking about?

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#52 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

@Heirren said:

Na didn't suggest that at all, even if it could be true.

You said that they don't need either... What were you talking about?

I already said. Sony needs to realize that there is a difference between the console and portable market.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#53 Posted by lundy86_4 (49129 posts) -

@Heirren said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Heirren said:

Na didn't suggest that at all, even if it could be true.

You said that they don't need either... What were you talking about?

I already said. Sony needs to realize that there is a difference between the console and portable market.

I got that... Still, how is that relevant to AAA/Indie?

Dude, explain your point.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#54 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

@Heirren said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Heirren said:

Na didn't suggest that at all, even if it could be true.

You said that they don't need either... What were you talking about?

I already said. Sony needs to realize that there is a difference between the console and portable market.

I got that... Still, how is that relevant to AAA/Indie?

Dude, explain your point.

I did explain. The Vita needed more portable friendly games at launch that caught peoples attention. Sony built a piece of hardware with some unique features that could have potentially sold people on it. The console did not need to have indie games, or higher budget AAA games like Uncharted. Having those games would help, but the most important aspect sony missed was giving the device that identity of being a portable--and making fun and enjoyable portable games do not have to be AAA; the budgets do not have to be anywhere near that of xbox or ps3.

Avatar image for Heil68
#55 Edited by Heil68 (57960 posts) -

Sure, if they are making money on the Vita, no if not.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#56 Posted by KBFloYd (19585 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Sure, if they are making money on the Vita, no if not.

what good is making 2 dollars a month if your business is billions in debt?

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#57 Posted by LJS9502_basic (163337 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I think Sony should either support the Vita or never release another handheld ever again.

Yeah. Makes the most sense...

Avatar image for Heil68
#58 Posted by Heil68 (57960 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

Sure, if they are making money on the Vita, no if not.

what good is making 2 dollars a month if your business is billions in debt?

profit is profit.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#59 Posted by SolidGame_basic (22797 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

Sure, if they are making money on the Vita, no if not.

what good is making 2 dollars a month if your business is billions in debt?

profit is profit.

isn't Vita attach rate really high?

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#60 Posted by KBFloYd (19585 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

Sure, if they are making money on the Vita, no if not.

what good is making 2 dollars a month if your business is billions in debt?

profit is profit.

im saying its not enough profit for everyone to keep making these.

Avatar image for Kjranu
#61 Posted by Kjranu (1752 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

Sure, if they are making money on the Vita, no if not.

what good is making 2 dollars a month if your business is billions in debt?

profit is profit.

im saying its not enough profit for everyone to keep making these.

It appears that despite its small market share and difficulties with retail, the Vita is not a money-loser for Sony.

http://thevitalounge.net/sonys-fiscal-year-ps-vita-by-the-numbers/

Avatar image for PurpleMan5000
#62 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9590 posts) -

@Kjranu said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

Sure, if they are making money on the Vita, no if not.

what good is making 2 dollars a month if your business is billions in debt?

profit is profit.

im saying its not enough profit for everyone to keep making these.

It appears that despite its small market share and difficulties with retail, the Vita is not a money-loser for Sony.

http://thevitalounge.net/sonys-fiscal-year-ps-vita-by-the-numbers/

It's hard to lose money on the system when you make no games for it. I'm sure that over the life of the system, Sony has not made up for the R&D costs associated with it.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#63 Posted by SolidGame_basic (22797 posts) -
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Kjranu said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

Sure, if they are making money on the Vita, no if not.

what good is making 2 dollars a month if your business is billions in debt?

profit is profit.

im saying its not enough profit for everyone to keep making these.

It appears that despite its small market share and difficulties with retail, the Vita is not a money-loser for Sony.

http://thevitalounge.net/sonys-fiscal-year-ps-vita-by-the-numbers/

It's hard to lose money on the system when you make no games for it. I'm sure that over the life of the system, Sony has not made up for the R&D costs associated with it.

there are more games on Vita than 3DS and 3DS came out a year earlier

Avatar image for PurpleMan5000
#64 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (9590 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Kjranu said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

Sure, if they are making money on the Vita, no if not.

what good is making 2 dollars a month if your business is billions in debt?

profit is profit.

im saying its not enough profit for everyone to keep making these.

It appears that despite its small market share and difficulties with retail, the Vita is not a money-loser for Sony.

http://thevitalounge.net/sonys-fiscal-year-ps-vita-by-the-numbers/

It's hard to lose money on the system when you make no games for it. I'm sure that over the life of the system, Sony has not made up for the R&D costs associated with it.

there are more games on Vita than 3DS and 3DS came out a year earlier

How many games did Sony make for it over the past 12 months? It has really good support from indies and a fair amount of support from Japanese 3rd parties, but I think Killzone might be the last game Sony has made or will make for it.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#65 Posted by SolidGame_basic (22797 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Kjranu said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

Sure, if they are making money on the Vita, no if not.

what good is making 2 dollars a month if your business is billions in debt?

profit is profit.

im saying its not enough profit for everyone to keep making these.

It appears that despite its small market share and difficulties with retail, the Vita is not a money-loser for Sony.

http://thevitalounge.net/sonys-fiscal-year-ps-vita-by-the-numbers/

It's hard to lose money on the system when you make no games for it. I'm sure that over the life of the system, Sony has not made up for the R&D costs associated with it.

there are more games on Vita than 3DS and 3DS came out a year earlier

How many games did Sony make for it over the past 12 months? It has really good support from indies and a fair amount of support from Japanese 3rd parties, but I think Killzone might be the last game Sony has made or will make for it.

If you just want to go by Sony first party games, then Killzone Mercenary and Tearaway, which were really good imo. Then we have Freedom Wars this holiday and most likely a Gravity Rush sequel. Sony's first party has never really had that much selling power though. Even for console, there's only a relatively small number of ips they have that actually sell really well. Like Gran Turismo, Uncharted/Last of Us, God of War, etc.They do publish games like they did with Borderlands 2 and now Minecraft. They also try to get indies to develop specifically for Vita. We had Metrico recently and Murasaki Baby coming up. CounterSpy and Velocity 2X are going to be awesome. Guacamelee and OlliOlli were first released on Vita. But I guess if you just want to look at it from first party, you'll miss a lot. I think Sony did their part though. Golden Abyss, LBP, Unit 13, Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, Killzone Mercenary, Tearaway were all good games.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#66 Posted by KBFloYd (19585 posts) -

@Kjranu said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

Sure, if they are making money on the Vita, no if not.

what good is making 2 dollars a month if your business is billions in debt?

profit is profit.

im saying its not enough profit for everyone to keep making these.

It appears that despite its small market share and difficulties with retail, the Vita is not a money-loser for Sony.

http://thevitalounge.net/sonys-fiscal-year-ps-vita-by-the-numbers/

see the problem is not that its a money loser....the problem is that it isnt a money maker.

Avatar image for inb4uall
#67 Posted by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Not at all. The Vita's hardware is good enough to keep pace with not just the 3DS, but any 3DS successor we can reasonably expect Nintendo to release on the market in the future. That aside, Sony also actually needs to support the handheld they do have on the market (of which they have thus far done a piss poor job) before they even think about putting out a new one. Too many people have been burned by Vita to even consider buying a successor, meaning it'll bomb even harder than Vita did.

This. Because of the vita I refuse to even think about getting a PS4 let alone another Sony handheld.

Avatar image for PurpleMan5000
#69 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9590 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Kjranu said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

Sure, if they are making money on the Vita, no if not.

what good is making 2 dollars a month if your business is billions in debt?

profit is profit.

im saying its not enough profit for everyone to keep making these.

It appears that despite its small market share and difficulties with retail, the Vita is not a money-loser for Sony.

http://thevitalounge.net/sonys-fiscal-year-ps-vita-by-the-numbers/

It's hard to lose money on the system when you make no games for it. I'm sure that over the life of the system, Sony has not made up for the R&D costs associated with it.

there are more games on Vita than 3DS and 3DS came out a year earlier

How many games did Sony make for it over the past 12 months? It has really good support from indies and a fair amount of support from Japanese 3rd parties, but I think Killzone might be the last game Sony has made or will make for it.

If you just want to go by Sony first party games, then Killzone Mercenary and Tearaway, which were really good imo. Then we have Freedom Wars this holiday and most likely a Gravity Rush sequel. Sony's first party has never really had that much selling power though. Even for console, there's only a relatively small number of ips they have that actually sell really well. Like Gran Turismo, Uncharted/Last of Us, God of War, etc.They do publish games like they did with Borderlands 2 and now Minecraft. They also try to get indies to develop specifically for Vita. We had Metrico recently and Murasaki Baby coming up. CounterSpy and Velocity 2X are going to be awesome. Guacamelee and OlliOlli were first released on Vita. But I guess if you just want to look at it from first party, you'll miss a lot. I think Sony did their part though. Golden Abyss, LBP, Unit 13, Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, Killzone Mercenary, Tearaway were all good games.

The reason I am only looking at first party is because those are the games that actually cost Sony money to make. My first comment was that it is hard to lose money in a fiscal year when you aren't making any games. They had very low expenses, so of course they are making money. That doesn't make the Vita profitable overall. I realize that the Vita actually has a fairly decent library. It's just sad that Sony has stopped supporting it.

Avatar image for Kenny789
#70 Posted by Kenny789 (10434 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I think Sony should either support the Vita or never release another handheld ever again.

This

Avatar image for dakan45
#71 Edited by dakan45 (18819 posts) -

No they should stop mobile belongs to phones.

Avatar image for ButDuuude
#72 Posted by ButDuuude (1129 posts) -

No, Sony should focus on the PlayStation 4 now.