Should Sega attempt a resurgence into the console market?

  • 56 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#1 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

With the WiiU currently on life support, struggling to find it's way back to the light after being hit with a bus, what if Sega snuck into it's hospital room and suffocated Nintendo with a pillow.

With The xbone suffering performance issues/lacking games and the PS4 lacking games do you think now would be a good time for Sega to launch one last assault into the console market? It seems strategically plausible to me, just imagine for a second if they did.

I've always felt since their passing that something has been missing, the edge just isn't there anymore especially since they went 3rd party. What do you think the odds of us seeing a second dreamcast are?

I realize this will probably never, ever happen. But it's still fun to think about.

Avatar image for RossRichard
#2 Posted by RossRichard (3610 posts) -

Will never happen. The closest we will get to another Sega console is printing out a Sega logo and gluing it to the front of a PC.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#3 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

@RossRichard said:

Will never happen. The closest we will get to another Sega console is printing out a Sega logo and gluing it to the front of a PC.

Or Sony get's their act together and starts really pushing the JP titles out.

Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Shenmue 3 would be a welcome start.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#4 Edited by lamprey263 (34495 posts) -

no, they'll need to plan their resurgence as a publisher and developer first

Avatar image for blackace
#5 Posted by blackace (23576 posts) -

There's pretty much zero chance of that happening.

1. SEGA doesn't have the funds to do it.

2. SEGA's fanbase is probably a lot smaller then when they had the Genesis on retail shelves.

3. Even is SEGA had the money, they wouldn't be able to compete with Microsoft & Sony right now.

4. I could see them trying a handheld system mainly because Japan gamers are huge mobile gaming fans. Many of them have jumped ship from game consoles to handhelds. The demand for the PS4 dried up after just a couple weeks. I don't expect the PS4 or XB1 to sell many units until they get their price down to $250 or less in Japan.

Avatar image for Renegade_Fury
#6 Edited by Renegade_Fury (19671 posts) -

Won't happen, but just for pretend, if it was the SEGA of old, I'd be ecstatic. Unlike Nintendo, they weren't afraid to make new IPs all the time; they liked experimenting with hardcore gameplay mechanics; and they pushed online play dating back to even the Genesis days. Nintendo likes playing it safe (especially now), and flat out doesn't have the soul or ingenuity to make games like NiGHTS into Dreams and Panzer Dragoon Saga. On the flip side, the SEGA of old probably wouldn't survive today, because the masses don't like arcade difficulty and gameplay experimentation. If there's one thing Nintendo is good at, it's making a profit.

As for Sony and Microsoft, they have third party games to make up for their lack of innovation, and they're both competent enough when it comes to online play. Still, neither do enough to distinguish themselves from each other.

Avatar image for steamistrash
#7 Edited by steamistrash (431 posts) -

yes....but they need to start making great games again.

they dont put effort into their games for other console companys like they did their own and they need to learn how to manage their money better if they do.

and buy theirself back from sammy because sega/sammy is not a good combo..

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#8 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

@blackace said:

There's pretty much zero chance of that happening.

1. SEGA doesn't have the funds to do it.

2. SEGA's fanbase is probably a lot smaller then when they had the Genesis on retail shelves.

3. Even is SEGA had the money, they wouldn't be able to compete with Microsoft & Sony right now.

4. I could see them trying a handheld system mainly because Japan gamers are huge mobile gaming fans. Many of them have jumped ship from game consoles to handhelds. The demand for the PS4 dried up after just a couple weeks. I don't expect the PS4 or XB1 to sell many units until they get their price down to $250 or less in Japan.

Yeah I won't argue with them not having the capital, maybe if they kickstarted it :P.

I think the fanbase is definitely still there, just quietly waiting. If sega announced they would like to contend with the big 3 again I could definitely see alot of fan interest gathering, specifically from the hardcore, hell even with older gamers alone. Nostalgia is a powerful thing just look at Nintendo.

Games wise, I think they could really make a dent. They could compete in a myriad of ways with Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo. Definitely have some good franchises still under their belt.

I'd really hate another handheld :(, but I agree Japan won't buy in until the price is right and the games are there.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#9 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162170 posts) -

Ah....to wish impossible things....

Avatar image for Netret0120
#10 Posted by Netret0120 (3474 posts) -

Lol not a chance.

They would lose billions of dollars before they even make a profit.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#11 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

Ah....to wish impossible things....

Loading Video...

Avatar image for charizard1605
#12 Posted by charizard1605 (82661 posts) -

God, I wish they would. Unfortunately, they've gone all in with their new smartphone/PC focus, so... eh.

Avatar image for Kjranu
#13 Posted by Kjranu (1748 posts) -

Nope. A Segafone is more likely than a Dreamcast 2.

Avatar image for PAL360
#14 Edited by PAL360 (28805 posts) -

Probably not, but they should start making good games, like they used to do for their consoles. A good 2D Sonic game, like the megadrive ones with lots of exploration and a gameplay we can actualy control, would be a good start!

Avatar image for no-scope-AK47
#15 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (3755 posts) -

NullDC plus pc = Dreamcast 1080p

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#16 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

NullDC plus pc = Dreamcast 1080p

Not all titles work that great however and there's still a shitload of bugs.

It's not on the same level as say pcsx2 or Dolphin.

Avatar image for no-scope-AK47
#17 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3755 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

NullDC plus pc = Dreamcast 1080p

Not all titles work that great however and there's still a shitload of bugs.

It's not on the same level as say pcsx2 or Dolphin.

Personally I use reicast on my cell phone 1080p and it works great I can mirror it on my hdtv also.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#18 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

NullDC plus pc = Dreamcast 1080p

Not all titles work that great however and there's still a shitload of bugs.

It's not on the same level as say pcsx2 or Dolphin.

Personally I use reicast on my cell phone 1080p and it works great I can mirror it on my hdtv also.

I'll have to try reicast out on my android, I wonder when they'll have a windows option out.

Avatar image for flashn00b
#19 Edited by flashn00b (3489 posts) -

If they ever get into hardware business, the closest thing to a Sega console we'll ever see is a line of Steam Machines named after the Dreamcast.

Avatar image for cainetao11
#20 Posted by cainetao11 (32703 posts) -

Just classic nostalgia syndrome. I grew up a Sega kid, never owned a Nintendo console until Wii. Always had Sega . If everyone loves them so much, where were you? Why'd there support die? Never going to happen, and if it did, they wouldn't be able to match Sony/MS financially. They'd try to go low end in order to turn a bigger profit and it would be treated like the wiiu

Avatar image for Jag85
#21 Posted by Jag85 (10980 posts) -

@RossRichard said:

Will never happen. The closest we will get to another Sega console is printing out a Sega logo and gluing it to the front of a PC.

That's pretty much what Sega has been doing with their arcade machines over the past decade.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
#22 Posted by littlestreakier (2950 posts) -

As much as I would welcome this I doubt this would happen. The ONLY way I see this happening is if they strictly stick to 2D gaming. Just make a 2D gaming powerhouse (aka Sega Saturn 2.0). IMO people will hate at first (mainly the newer generation of gamers) but I really miss playing amazing 2D games...

Avatar image for Joedgabe
#23 Posted by Joedgabe (5134 posts) -

god no.... 3 are enough.

Avatar image for Alucard_Prime
#24 Posted by Alucard_Prime (8755 posts) -

I would love for SEGA to come back into the game, but unfortunately at this point I believe it would be nearly impossible for them to succeed. They would need the console equivalent of lightning-in-a-bottle to stay alive in the current console market. It's rough out there, and SEGA is not as well known as before so they would need to spend a lot in marketing(unless then pull another miracle there with something viral).

Instead, I would rather they use those resources and produce great games. I bought quite a few of their titles last gen, and will likely do the same now.

Avatar image for UnbiasedPoster
#25 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (1134 posts) -

Not unless they are serious about going bankrupt.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
#26 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (9116 posts) -

People tend to be more nostalgic toward Sega hardware than anything else I've ever seen. Sega dropped out of the hardware business because they proved too incompetent in that field. With all the restructuring and layoffs lately, it seems like they're having enough trouble trying stay afloat as a developer/publisher.

Avatar image for bobbetybob
#27 Posted by bobbetybob (19370 posts) -

No. What would be the point? What can they bring that other people don't do? We don't need 3 consoles all doing the same shit with different names and a couple of exclusives.

Avatar image for vincent380
#28 Edited by vincent380 (2244 posts) -
@bobbetybob said:

No. What would be the point? What can they bring that other people don't do? We don't need 3 consoles all doing the same shit with different names and a couple of exclusives.

Dreamcast really had some awesome games though, i miss that system so much.

Oh the thought of playing this world again with new graphics and storyline with the same awesome gameplay. Too much awesome.

Avatar image for bobbetybob
#29 Posted by bobbetybob (19370 posts) -
@vincent380 said:
@bobbetybob said:

No. What would be the point? What can they bring that other people don't do? We don't need 3 consoles all doing the same shit with different names and a couple of exclusives.

Dreamcast really had some awesome games though, i miss that system so much.

Oh the thought of playing this world again with new graphics and storyline with the same awesome gameplay. Too much awesome.

There's been nothing stopping SEGA from making those kind of games for the past 13 years and they haven't. Investing massive amounts of money into hardware would probably make them even less likely to take risks, it'd turn into a Sonic Box.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#30 Edited by SolidGame_basic (22317 posts) -

As long as Wii U is owned by Nintendo, it will never be on a life line. Also, have you seen SEGA games lately? they're often niche games

Avatar image for vincent380
#31 Posted by vincent380 (2244 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:
@vincent380 said:
@bobbetybob said:

No. What would be the point? What can they bring that other people don't do? We don't need 3 consoles all doing the same shit with different names and a couple of exclusives.

Dreamcast really had some awesome games though, i miss that system so much.

Oh the thought of playing this world again with new graphics and storyline with the same awesome gameplay. Too much awesome.

There's been nothing stopping SEGA from making those kind of games for the past 13 years and they haven't. Investing massive amounts of money into hardware would probably make them even less likely to take risks, it'd turn into a Sonic Box.

This is very true....thanks for crushing my dreams lol

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#32 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (5075 posts) -

The point of that would be?

Avatar image for bobbetybob
#33 Posted by bobbetybob (19370 posts) -
@vincent380 said:

This is very true....thanks for crushing my dreams lol

Ha, no problem, just call me Dr Dreamcrusher.

Avatar image for coasterguy65
#34 Posted by coasterguy65 (7133 posts) -

No, Sega should never make another console.

Avatar image for Ballroompirate
#35 Posted by Ballroompirate (25896 posts) -

I just dont see Sega ever coming back to the console making market, they just dont have the money for it and having 4 consoles on the market would just spell disaster and spread out the already lackluster exclusive game market.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#36 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

I just dont see Sega ever coming back to the console making market, they just dont have the money for it and having 4 consoles on the market would just spell disaster and spread out the already lackluster exclusive game market.

What if Xbox somehow disappeared?

Avatar image for Ballroompirate
#37 Posted by Ballroompirate (25896 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: I would be fine with that since they're just a liability at this point and have actually gone down hill since their original box days. If MS did leave the console race and Sega jumped in you still have 3 contenders and still a major ripple in the exclusive market. Multiplats were running rampart last gen and I'm honestly starting to miss the exclusives, but we're at a time devs don't want to make exclusives, which almost makes having having 3 consoles irrelevant in a way.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#38 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@ReadingRainbow4: I would be fine with that since they're just a liability at this point and have actually gone down hill since their original box days. If MS did leave the console race and Sega jumped in you still have 3 contenders and still a major ripple in the exclusive market. Multiplats were running rampart last gen and I'm honestly starting to miss the exclusives, but we're at a time devs don't want to make exclusives, which almost makes having having 3 consoles irrelevant in a way.

Yeah, the exclusive game comes down to what's financially feasible. It's pretty slim we'll have another generation of dreamcast and ps2 exclusive games, catering to multiple fan bases is just too attractive financially.

Unless they figure out a way to develop for cheaper, production costs have skyrocketed.

Avatar image for glez13
#39 Posted by glez13 (9761 posts) -

No money, no go.

Avatar image for Gue1
#40 Edited by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

what would their console offer that is not already available? Motion controller, VR, controller with a screen, etc. everything has been done. And not to mention that 90% of their IPs suck. Launching a console at this point would be suicide but more important is the fact that it'd be pointless.

Avatar image for Renegade_Fury
#41 Edited by Renegade_Fury (19671 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

what would their console offer that is not already available? Motion controller, VR, controller with a screen, etc. everything has been done. And not to mention that 90% of their IPs suck. Launching a console at this point would be suicide but more important is the fact that it'd be pointless.

90% of their IPs suck? Hahaha, I guess I shouldn't expect the system wars crowd to know of anything beyond what came out within the past six months.

Avatar image for Jag85
#42 Posted by Jag85 (10980 posts) -

@Renegade_Fury said:

@Gue1 said:

what would their console offer that is not already available? Motion controller, VR, controller with a screen, etc. everything has been done. And not to mention that 90% of their IPs suck. Launching a console at this point would be suicide but more important is the fact that it'd be pointless.

90% of their IPs suck? Hahaha, I guess I shouldn't expect the system wars crowd to know of anything beyond what came out within the past six months.

System Wars only cares about "What have you done for me lately?" Sega's groundbreaking accomplishments during the 70's-90's would be too much history to comprehend.

Avatar image for LegatoSkyheart
#43 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (29669 posts) -

No. Why should they? Their games are already on Multiple Platforms as it is. It would be suicide if they decided to go back in the Console market at this point.

Avatar image for jake44
#44 Posted by jake44 (2085 posts) -

@UnbiasedPoster said:

Not unless they are serious about going bankrupt.

Avatar image for Boddicker
#45 Edited by Boddicker (4347 posts) -

@blackace said:

There's pretty much zero chance of that happening.

1. SEGA doesn't have the funds to do it.

2. SEGA's fanbase is probably a lot smaller then when they had the Genesis on retail shelves.

3. Even is SEGA had the money, they wouldn't be able to compete with Microsoft & Sony right now.

4. I could see them trying a handheld system mainly because Japan gamers are huge mobile gaming fans. Many of them have jumped ship from game consoles to handhelds. The demand for the PS4 dried up after just a couple weeks. I don't expect the PS4 or XB1 to sell many units until they get their price down to $250 or less in Japan.

Pretty much sums up what I was going to say.

Avatar image for ps4hasnogames
#46 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

you know why it will never happen? i read somewhere that sega has about 4 billion dollars, so it takes at least 2 billion to develop and launch a console, they will not risk half their worth when their last 2 attempts failed. unless somehow maybeeeee a couple million people can somehow pledge about $200 each to get them going.

Avatar image for iloveatlus
#47 Posted by iloveatlus (599 posts) -

I will definitely buy a new Sega system. It would look great next to my Xbone, PS4, Wiiu, and my future Steambox!

Avatar image for Jag85
#48 Edited by Jag85 (10980 posts) -

@blackace said:

There's pretty much zero chance of that happening.

1. SEGA doesn't have the funds to do it.

2. SEGA's fanbase is probably a lot smaller then when they had the Genesis on retail shelves.

3. Even is SEGA had the money, they wouldn't be able to compete with Microsoft & Sony right now.

4. I could see them trying a handheld system mainly because Japan gamers are huge mobile gaming fans. Many of them have jumped ship from game consoles to handhelds. The demand for the PS4 dried up after just a couple weeks. I don't expect the PS4 or XB1 to sell many units until they get their price down to $250 or less in Japan.

Actually, Sega does have the funds. In fact, Sega Sammy has a ton of money, mostly thanks to their hugely successful Pachinko gambling business (mainly from Sammy's side). If Valve can afford to develop the Steam Machine console, then there's no reason to believe a much bigger company like Sega can't afford to. They can make a console they wanted, but it just wouldn't make any business sense to take such a big gamble on such a risky endeavour, in a crowded console market that's already been cornered by much bigger companies like Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. There's no way most of Sega's investors/stockholders would agree to something so risky.

Avatar image for Lucianu
#49 Edited by Lucianu (10283 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

NullDC plus pc = Dreamcast 1080p

Not all titles work that great however and there's still a shitload of bugs.

It's not on the same level as say pcsx2 or Dolphin.

I was heavy into NullDC 6 years ago, and i played/finished a boatload of games with little to no bugs/issues. And that was on 1.0.0 Beta 1.6, released in 2007.

drk||Raziel's pure 1.0.4 version was almost flawless for me, personally. Still my go-to Dreamcast emulator. I don't doubt that Dolphin and pcsx2 are on levels above because the original nullDC team quit long ago (3 or 4 years iirc), while the other two are still being updated.

Allthough i never messed with the modern revisions of NullDC, because they may or may not **** shit up due to the noninvolvement of the original team, but maybe the lastest revision (NullDC SVN r150, 2013) is a good choice. I dunno, i don't have the time to check them out.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#50 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

NullDC plus pc = Dreamcast 1080p

Not all titles work that great however and there's still a shitload of bugs.

It's not on the same level as say pcsx2 or Dolphin.

I was heavy into NullDC 6 years ago, and i played/finished a boatload of games with little to no bugs/issues. And that was on 1.0.0 Beta 1.6, released in 2007.

drk||Raziel's pure 1.0.4 version was almost flawless for me, personally. Still my go-to Dreamcast emulator. I don't doubt that Dolphin and pcsx2 are on levels above because the original nullDC team quit long ago (3 or 4 years iirc), while the other two are still being updated.

Allthough i never messed with the modern revisions of NullDC, because they may or may not **** shit up due to the noninvolvement of the original team, but maybe the lastest revision (NullDC SVN r150, 2013) is a good choice. I dunno, i don't have the time to check them out.

It's definitely not up to par for skies of arcadia for me. Audio bugs, transparencies not being emulated correctly.

I tried both the regular release and the newest one supposedly r150. Still the same issues.

for the most part Grandia 2 ran great despite some visual bugs with spells and shadows.

Dolphin runs the game much, much better. I checked out reicast and it looks promising but I really just want a full fledged windows version, hopefully they can emulate skies perfectly.