Should Remasters fix the bugs the initial version had?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

I've been playing Assassin's Creed 3: Remastered, and I'm enjoying it more this time around, although it's still the buggy piece of shit it was back when it came out. Not even gonna address the framerate.

But should bugs and such be ironed out? I think so. Because holy shit, in this industry, you get away with everything.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts
Loading Video...

-

Yes, absolutely. A remaster should seek to improve the gameplay as well as a the visuals.

If a gameplay becomes engaging (unless you're a PC gamer who only plays games for graphic cards to spam screenshots nobody cares about for some weird sick sexual gratification) the visuals will become perfunctory, you won't give a shit. Gameplay, you will, far more so.

Bugs are never fucking acceptable, but we are in a culture so steeped in favor of Publishers, with fairly useless press, they do whatever they want, and get away with it, happily. A small tap on the wrist, but a million dollar bank account.

Would apply this logic to emulators as well, dotemu are horrific. But they've shat out dozens of unplayable games knowing full well the state they are in, they get work because they are cheap.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

My guess is that going through seven years old code you didn't write, trying to squash bugs those who did could not, is pretty hard :). It's easy for us to say what they should, or should not do. They probably did what they could given budget/time constraints. And consumers can use reviews etc to inform themselves of the state the game is in and then decide if they wanna go back to it.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

@Sushiglutton: So, up rez to 4K and charge 40 bucks? That's fine with you?

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

Yes, they HAVE to fix the bugs. If not, where is "master" in the "remaster"? If as you said, that AC3 still has the bugs and glitches from 2012, then it is a bad remaster.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

Well it would certainly be nice but I guess it kind of depends on the amount and the severity of the bugs. If a game has a very minor bug or two that isn’t game breaking or easily encountered then I’m not going to be too put off by it. However if a game has numerous and some potentially game breaking bugs that players keep running into then yeah I’m going to question the value of the remaster if those bugs aren’t addressed in some way.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

Of course they should be free of bugs and fixed, otherwise what have they done? 4K visuals? That's not a remaster, that's a boobjob, a facelift. Cheap cheap cheap and lazy. It's the equivalent of some 40 year old woman going to the plastic surgeon to look good.

A legit remaster requires actual work and talent to perform. A great remaster is a labor of love, the equivalent to the 40 year old woman working out and staying active and taking care of herself.

Obviously nothing can be 100% free of bugs, but after an initial release and x amount of years, yeah, it should be pretty damn close to perfect.

@uninspiredcup said:

....unless you're a PC gamer who only plays games for graphic cards to spam screenshots nobody cares about for some weird sick sexual gratification...

What in the actual hell?

How...how did you know that's what I like to do?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Howmakewood  Online
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

Tod Howard: No

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

@Sushiglutton: So, up rez to 4K and charge 40 bucks? That's fine with you?

No, I think that's too much. I'm just saying taking care of the bugs may be close to impossible. It's hard to know.

I mean it also depends on how much you like the game. You are not just paying for the remaster but also for the game itself. I bought the Nathan Drake collection and was very happy with it because I love those games. Not sure what they had done except very minor things (like fixing the grenade controls for the first one). But I though the collection was worth it anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

No, they should add even more bugs. Bethesda figured it out years ago; introduce fun puzzles into your game by throwing game breaking bugs at your fanbase and telling the modders to figure it out. Its like a free additional gameplay system and adds to the game length.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

I mean... You would think so. I guess it depends what kind of bugs we're seeing, and whether they're actually possible to stamp out completely.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

Depends on the game and the bugs, I find Dead Island much more enjoyable when I exploit the glitch for crafting 30 of an item for resources needed to create one, they didn't fix it in remaster and that's fine by me.

Also, that Alien Resurrection review quote is hilarious, not really relevant on the subject but still nice find. Wish Alien Trilogy on PS1 used dual analog controls, wasn't an issue for me way back then but tried playing it a while back and just not doable anymore. Maybe some digital BC emulated titles could benefit from button mapping features if not offered in-game.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Bugs yes, glitches not necessarily. Depends on the glitch. Some glitches add to the skill ceiling of a game or speed runs. Those are dope, keep those.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Of course.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Not in all instances no it depends on whether it's an old school bug or a new one.

Old school bugs were rare and added to the game, see the magic gourd and such in Secret of Evermore or somethingw weird like that.

New bugs are just this game won't run and don't add flavor or anything meaningful and just break the game in bad ways.