Should Nintendo sell the Wii U without Gamepad?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

I understand that Nintendo is trying to make their console different from everyone else's, and thats fine, its what made them so successful with the Wii/DS, but the Wii U just isnt exciting right now, its 350 dollars, thats waaaay to much, right now third party are avoiding it pretty heavily.

If they drop the Gamepad from it however, they could probably drop the price down to 250, maybe even 200 dollars, if someone wants the Gamepad, they can still buy it seperately.  Make every game compatible with the 360 controller and the Wii U gamepad, it would still work, it would just make the Wii U alot more appealing.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#3 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
They will later on. I read somewhere that Nintendo isn't selling them separately right now is to prevent confusion on what works with what.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

They did mention before the Wii U released that once there are games that require two gamepads then they will offer them in stores. They said that nothing before March will require two gamepads.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
It wouldn't solve the problem that the system is 6 years late to the party and doesn't have 1/10 the library of its competitors. The system is a massive fail all around, although Nintendo might be able to recoup some of their losses if they offer a bare-bones SKU with a Pro controller instead of a gamepad.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

They did mention before the Wii U released that once there are games that require two gamepads then they will offer them in stores. They said that nothing before March will require two gamepads.

Nintendo_Ownes7
no one will make a game that uses two gamepads until users are allowed to have two gamepads.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Don't expect it to be cheap
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts
It would defeat the purpose. The gamepad is what makes the Wii U.
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

BrunoBRS

no one will make a game that uses two gamepads until users are allowed to have two gamepads.

Isn't Japan already allowed to have two Gamepads?

I thought they sold them in stores in Japan already.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Timstuff
It would defeat the purpose. The gamepad is what makes the Wii U.Nonstop-Madness
That's part of the problem.
PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

Should they sell the console without the gamepad? NO

Should they sell the gamepad separately to open up multiplayer opportunities? YES

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#12 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Oh crap, I read the poll wrong.

NO, Nintendo CAN'T sell the WiiU with the Gamepad Seperate, as much as you think it would be better, It won't, in fact it's worse.

In order for you to even log in to the WiiU you must enter your Nintendo ID password, this REQUIRES a WiiU Gamepad.

You may think the WiiU Gamepad is just another controller, but in reality it's actually part of the entire system. (break the pad, you have a broken system.)

I agree that Nintendo should sell seperate pads for those that broke their pad or lost it, but I don't agree with Nintendo selling WiiUs without the pad, It'll probably cost a lot more than what they are now.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nintendoboy16

Also: Selling the Wii U without the gamepad? Last I checked the Pad is REQUIRED, so no. It's like selling the Wii without the motion controls.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LegatoSkyheart

Also: Selling the Wii U without the gamepad? Last I checked the Pad is REQUIRED, so no. It's like selling the Wii without the motion controls.

nintendoboy16

or selling the PS3 without Bluray.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Timstuff

NO, Nintendo CAN'T sell the WiiU with the Gamepad Seperate, as much as you think it would be better, It won't, in fact it's worse.

In order for you to even log in to the WiiU you must enter your Nintendo ID password, this REQUIRES a WiiU Gamepad.

You may think the WiiU Gamepad is just another controller, but in reality it's actually part of the entire system. (break the pad, you have a broken system.)

I agree that Nintendo should sell seperate pads for those that broke their pad or lost it, but I don't agree with Nintendo selling WiiUs without the pad, It'll probably cost a lot more than what they are now.

LegatoSkyheart

Obviously they would need to revise the OS to optionally work without the gamepad if they were to offer such an SKU.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Timstuff

Obviously they would need to revise the OS to optionally work without the gamepad if they were to offer such an SKU.

And that would take one HELL of a patch.
layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
Selling the Wii U sans game pad would probably only cause more unwanted confusion, all Nintendo games will most likely require the game pad in some form, and NintendoLand probably one of the best casual games is unplayable in any form without the game pad.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Doing that would spell the death of the Wii U.  Honestly, Nintendo's system is all about its controller.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nintendo_Ownes7

Selling the Wii U sans game pad would probably only cause more unwanted confusion, all Nintendo games will most likely require the game pad in some form, and NintendoLand probably one of the best casual games is unplayable in any form without the game pad.layton2012
Also you can't log onto the Wii U without the Gamepad.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 layton2012

[QUOTE="layton2012"]Selling the Wii U sans game pad would probably only cause more unwanted confusion, all Nintendo games will most likely require the game pad in some form, and NintendoLand probably one of the best casual games is unplayable in any form without the game pad.Nintendo_Ownes7

Also you can't log onto the Wii U without the Gamepad.

Yeah someone mentioned that above, so I didn't bother to mention it again. Basically the Wii I is useless without the game pad.
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nintendo_Ownes7

I really begin to feel that Nintendo tying your account to the console was the dumbest move they could have made... had they not done such a thing, selling Gamepads would be easy ad very welcome by the users. (Since you could log on from any Gamepad to the overall Nintendo Network).. Ah well.. hopefully they'll find a way around it. Even though there should not be a need to do it in the first place...

Desmonic

They said that there will be a Firmware update where they will make accounts not tied to the console anymore.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]

nintendoboy16

And that would take one HELL of a patch.

This.

Right now as the WiiU is, it's a giant DS.

and just like the DS if the touch screen breaks you might as well get a new one.

this isn't like the Nintendo Wii were you can control nearly all of the main menu stuff with a Classic Controller, You REALLY DO need the Gamepad in order to play the WiiU.

Unless they decide to make Log ins like the Wii where you can use the Wiimote then you're out of luck if you gamepad breaks, you will NEED to get one.

Also if you buy a WiiU that doesn't have a Controller (because WiiUs just come with Gamepads, there IS no other controller that comes with it, unless you're Japanese and got the Monster Hunter Bundle) then you will STILL need to buy a $50-$80 controllers for them to actually PLAY the games.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LegatoSkyheart

I really begin to feel that Nintendo tying your account to the console was the dumbest move they could have made... had they not done such a thing, selling Gamepads would be easy ad very welcome by the users. (Since you could log on from any Gamepad to the overall Nintendo Network).. Ah well.. hopefully they'll find a way around it. Even though there should not be a need to do it in the first place...

Desmonic

It's pretty stupid, hopefully Nintendo finds out about tying accounts to the actual account soon.

I can look at my entire puchase history on Club Nintendo, I don't see how Nintendo can't make a system like Sony's or MS's.

Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

They have to eventually unless the the gamepad is under a lifetime warranty.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 layton2012

Kingpin0114
Yes, of course but TC is asking if the Wii U should be sold alone without a game pad.
Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kingpin0114

[QUOTE="Kingpin0114"]

layton2012

Yes, of course but TC is asking if the Wii U should be sold alone without a game pad.

No to that.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 crimsonman1245

I apoligize for making a misleading thread title, i didnt think about it properly before posting. *Fixed it in edit*

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
The pad is required for the setup and eShop and various other things.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LegatoSkyheart

I'm apparently wrong!

All Nintendo would need to do is have the option to log in to your Nintendo Network ID without the use of the Gamepad and the WiiU is completely functional by use of the Wiimote. I thought the Wiimote was completly turned off on the menu screen. I have been wronged.

So yes, Selling a WiiU without the Gamepad is possible. However you still need a Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Cruxis27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cruxis27
Member since 2006 • 2057 Posts

A Wii U wothout the game pad is just an overpriced Wii. Not to mention this will encourage developers to ignore the game pad.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nintendoboy16

A Wii U wothout the game pad is just an overpriced Wii. Not to mention this will encourage developers to ignore the game pad.

Cruxis27

Oh great, it's "3DS without the 3D is nothing more than a DS" again...

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 crimsonman1245

Cruxis27

I think a system that plays HD Nintendo games for 200 dollars will sell better than a 350 dollar system that plays HD Nintendo games while looking down at a controller all the time. Just my opinion.

If people like the gampad, theres nothing stopping them from buying it seperately, give them a CHOICE, thats all im saying.

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

Design a system meant for children with a really expensive, delicate controller... what could possibly go wrong!?

I know you System Warriors take great care of your gaming devices, I've seen the pictures you guys have posted of y'alls battle stations. However, kids don't givvafuk.

I didn't know that you needed the Wii U tablet just to log in, and that replacements tablets aren't even available for purchase! I wonder how many kids have already broken their tablets and can't even play on their new systems?

deomag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deomag4
Member since 2013 • 86 Posts

Design a system meant for children with a really expensive, delicate controller... what could possibly go wrong!?

I know you System Warriors take great care of your gaming devices, I've seen the pictures you guys have posted of y'alls battle stations. However, kids don't givvafuk.

I didn't know that you needed the Wii U tablet just to log in, and that replacements tablets aren't even available for purchase! I wonder how many kids have already broken their tablets and can't even play on their new systems?

trollop_scat

to be fair, the gamepad is built like a rock, There's youtube videos of people doing drop tests of it where they drop it 2-3 stories down onto concrete and it only gets minor scratches on it (and still works perfectly fine)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts
Since its required atm, they wont.
Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kingpin0114

[QUOTE="trollop_scat"]

deomag4

to be fair, the gamepad is built like a rock, There's youtube videos of people doing drop tests of it where they drop it 2-3 stories down onto concrete and it only gets minor scratches on it (and still works perfectly fine)

not surprised. One thing Nintendo does really well is build some very very durable hardware.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 layton2012

Cruxis27
If ignoring the gamepad would convince more third parties to make for the Wii U, I wouldn't mind them ignoring the gamepad even though I think being able to play the complete game on the gamepad and use the TV, is a good enough use for the gamepad.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#40 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
It wouldn't solve the problem that the system is 6 years late to the party and doesn't have 1/10 the library of its competitors.Timstuff
Its competitors have 100% fewer games because they aren't announced yet.
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

it just needs games dude. like any other system thats selling

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

No, it's necessary and seperate bundling would only confuse people more.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
Too many games need it...Look at Rayman Legends
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Just sell it without HDD, Ethernet port and BR/DVD player, they should be able to reach $200 without those.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
$350 isn't that much. thats only $100 more than a vita
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#46 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

what proof do you have that third party are avoiding it ,not publishing last gen ports for it isnt the same as avoiding it,

i  got quite a few third party to list as it is ,

for starters

need for speed mw 

resident evil revelations 

bayonetta 2

ninja gaiden 

zombiu

ac3

batman ac

ghostrecon

nba2k13

cabelas 2013

sniper 2

wheel of fortune

jeopardy

gameparty

rabbits land

rayman legends

lego city undercover

-and you say third party are avoiding it just because a few games-some of which i dont really care for ]

eg

tombraider- who wants that i have never enjoyed tombraider since ps1 era

gtav-this one may come as rockstar said it wasnt out of the cards

metrolast light-thq bankrupt

so ya what multiplats are we talking about that wiiu isnt getting that is not a current gen title that was already in development! 

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

[QUOTE="Cruxis27"]

crimsonman1245

I think a system that plays HD Nintendo games for 200 dollars will sell better than a 350 dollar system that plays HD Nintendo games while looking down at a controller all the time. Just my opinion.

If people like the gampad, theres nothing stopping them from buying it seperately, give them a CHOICE, thats all im saying.

The problem with offering video game consumers choice is that developers will always target the lowest common denominator to achieve the largest install base, and those people who choose the option with the better gameplay capabilities will never actually see those capabilities realized. It's better to just shoehorn developers into creating games with the superior controller in mind.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#48 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
No. The GamePad is what differentiates the Wii U while also making the Wii U fairly traditional. The added screen functionality is entirely beneficial and I wouldn't want to lose that.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Of course they should, it makes prefect sense to offer a console for purchase without an input device.
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
It's to late. The console is already out.