Should MS/Sony have made a Ryse/the Order 1886 type game?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

So far nothing next-gen related looks impressive tbh. Kind of a bummer. Last gen both MS and Sony had one linear game each (Ryse/the Order 1886). Their sole purpose was pretty much just to look amazing and build some hype. I played Ryse on PC and it was ok fun, but mostly just a looker.

Both were pretty hated back in the day. But at least they created som next-gen buzz. So far we have nothing.

Should MS/Sony have developed some game just to show off what next gen is capable of? You know something that makes jaws drop and feels like it’s from the future? Or are you happy with what they have shown?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

The Order was actually pretty fun with a great setting. The only thing I would put against it was that it was too short.

In fact, I would have loved a sequel with an emphasis on co-op as the first was rumored to have but later had cut.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sushiglutton

@Telekill said:

The Order was actually pretty fun with a great setting. The only thing I would put against it was that it was too short.

In fact, I would have loved a sequel with an emphasis on co-op as the first was rumored to have but later had cut.

I actually never played it. I love the aesthetics! Perhaps I should pick it up to the end the gen as it began.

Seemed like a cool IP to me. Instead of axing it Sony could have revived it with co-op as you suggest.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

I just wish we got sequels for both The Order and Ryse. Both games had a lot of potential and their faults could've been tweaked by follow up games.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

Was the Order even known for looking good? I thought the graphics was hated for being grainy and 21:9 trying to be like a movie and not even technically good. Also it came out a while after launch.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sushiglutton

@R4gn4r0k said:

I just wish we got sequels for both The Order and Ryse. Both games had a lot of potential and their faults could've been tweaked by follow up games.

As for Ryse (the one I played) I do agree. The core idea for combat was pretty fun. It just lacked a bit in variety and depth. I’m sure it could have been expanded on.

@me2002 said:

Was the Order even known for looking good? I thought the graphics was hated for being grainy and 21:9 trying to be like a movie and not even technically good. Also it came out a while after launch.

I must misremember then. As I recall it people were very impressed by the graphics of 1886, but less so when they found out how linear it was. But then again I thought it was a launch game lol.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

Ryse looked good and was fun to play if you just wanted to smash buttons :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#8  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Very similar games. Bad combat, bad level design, great narrative, great artistic direction. Really don't think mediocre games are needed but wouldn't mind sequels done competently.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5248 Posts

Had there ever been games with noticable flaws that had sequels that were well-received?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44157 Posts

I had some fun with Ryse myself. I think a sequel could have been cool.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@onesiphorus: Yes. A lot.

Deadly Premonition 2 just came out.

Sniper Ghost Warrior spawned a whole series.

The Crew was mediocre.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

I really didn't think either game was all that bad. I am neutral on this. I wouldn't be blown away if I heard there was a sequel or similar game and it wouldn't dishearten me either.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

The Order could have been good. IMO the biggest problem wasn't the length, per se, but the absurdly restrictive design choices that led to the length. Throughout the entire game, you were led down effectively a single hallway, with a new gadget or mechanic introduced ever X minutes and then discarded most of the time.

-Each zone was gorgeous

-The story progression at each stage was good (could have been better if you actually got a chance to spend more time with each character to give a damn when they die or feel upset by their betrayal etc)

-The gadgets and mechanics were each interesting.

BUT - every gadget and mechanic was effectively single use, and most character development didn't feel much better because of the limited interaction with them. Why even give me a cool ___ and do a brief tutorial on its use, if I get to use it for about 5 minutes once and then never see it again?

In many ways it felt like the ultimate tech demo - like, a tech demo of a generational leap in graphics, in which you have the privilege of demoing gadgets and story snippets from a seemingly-interesting world

I think a semi-open world sequel, in which the story could still be delivered in a linear manner per their vision, but where you got to learn to love, hate, and master the tools and characters around you would be a 9/10 game. As it was... yeah, I think a 5-6/10 was reasonable.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

I loved the shooting in Order but it needed more enemy variety. The graphics were amazing too but people hated the aspect ratio.

Ryse was also fun.

YES! But I hope they're not $ 60.

We honestly haven't seen Spiderman MM real gameplay graphics yet but technically, it's easier to put major graphic improvements on tighter cameras and less open spaces like Ryse and 1886.

We might be hearing more from Sony though. Rumored Aug SoP and TGS.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Killzone Shadow Fall and inFAMOUS Second Son started the next-gen graphical hype for PS4 . We saw a clear difference from Killzone 3 and inFAMOUS 2 ... and we all know what happened from Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 4 a bit later. Very impressive leaps. New IP only added to the mix - Ryse , Driveclub , The Order 1886 , Until Dawn

I think Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart and Horizon Forbidden West will provide similar next-gen graphical hype differences as they get closer to launching if they haven't already.Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart doesn't get enough respect because of its style unfortunately , but reality will trump perception in the end. We know what's up already. We have eyes and logic.

I think going from Spider-Man 2 to Spider-Man Miles Morales will also be very noticeable. And we can look at Demon's Souls compared to the last Dark Souls (different devs , but should provide some next-gen context and hype nevertheless)

We are just in the early rollout of this graphical hype train. The train just started to move and pull out. We've only seen one PlayStation event so far. More gameplay footage will come.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

The Order is such an underrated game alas...And a sequel is most welcomed.

But RaD was acquired by FB, so it won't happen.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@phbz said:

Very similar games. Bad combat, bad level design, great narrative, great artistic direction. Really don't think mediocre games are needed but wouldn't mind sequels done competently.

Pretty sure Order's narrative doesn't make any sense at all no matter how you view it.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sushiglutton

@Nike_Air said:

Killzone Shadow Fall and inFAMOUS Second Son started the next-gen graphical hype for PS4 . We saw a clear difference from Killzone 3 and inFAMOUS 2 ... and we all know what happened from Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 4 a bit later. Very impressive leaps. New IP only added to the mix - Ryse , Driveclub , The Order 1886 , Until Dawn

I think Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart and Horizon Forbidden West will provide similar next-gen graphical hype differences as they get closer to launching if they haven't already.Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart doesn't get enough respect because of its style unfortunately , but reality will trump perception in the end. We know what's up already. We have eyes and logic.

I think going from Spider-Man 2 to Spider-Man Miles Morales will also be very noticeable. And we can look at Demon's Souls compared to the last Dark Souls (different devs , but should provide some next-gen context and hype nevertheless)

We are just in the early rollout of this graphical hype train. The train just started to move and pull out. We've only seen one PlayStation event so far. More gameplay footage will come.

I hope you are correct! Wonder when they will give a proper showing of Spiderman. They used a Spiderman to show how fast the SSD allowed you to move through the city. Curious to see if that was just a tech demo or if a similar feature will be in Morales. If so that could be something impressive!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@pc_rocks: Can agree that story and even world are silly but the narrative imo is well structured and does a good job moving you along with the game.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Would love for the order sequel to happens

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

If the order was released as a AU $40 game it would of been worth the value. I would not pay full price for it. I got it for 10 bucks and really enjoyed it.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7163 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

So far nothing next-gen related looks impressive tbh. Kind of a bummer. Last gen both MS and Sony had one linear game each (Ryse/the Order 1886). Their sole purpose was pretty much just to look amazing and build some hype. I played Ryse on PC and it was ok fun, but mostly just a looker.

Both were pretty hated back in the day. But at least they created som next-gen buzz. So far we have nothing.

Should MS/Sony have developed some game just to show off what next gen is capable of? You know something that makes jaws drop and feels like it’s from the future? Or are you happy with what they have shown?

but but but no launch game looks next gen compared to last gen so why make a exclusive game for next gen machines? last gen machines don't hold back next gen games remember. no next gen buzz for xbox fans until 2022.

this is why im so hyped for a early 2021 released game hzd2 to put that to rest.

heck godfall, demon souls remake and ratchet and clank has next gen buzz to it.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Linear tech showcases? Sure, sounds good.

No interest in playing them, mind.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@gifford38: For reference, The Order was a 24fps, sub 1080p, blur fest. Not exactly a great showcase.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#25 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

Both games were essentially tech demos, HOWEVER

1886 knocked it out of the park with the aesthetic and world, weapons were really cool too!

But the aspect ratio was stupid! It got in the way of the gameplay.

It was extremely linear, the game took control away from the player a lot as well and just felt slow.

There's no replay value, it's a 6-8 hour campaign.

For a sequel the world would need to be opened up (Like GOW), add a co-op or horde mode, and get rid of that stupid aspect ratio!

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@phbz said:

@pc_rocks: Can agree that story and even world are silly but the narrative imo is well structured and does a good job moving you along with the game.

I wouldn't call narrative any good because it's all over the place. The game contradicts it self at every opportunity it gets. E.g. that lady shooting the guy, the lord knowing about the culprit but hiding it and then doing the 180, werewolves being tough but then a single bullet killing it etc etc.

Entire essay can be written about the stupidity of the narrative and the plot it self. Even Kojima has more conherent narrative than these guys. Below video does a good job explaining some of it:

Loading Video...