Should MS put Halo/Gears/Forza on Steam?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

We all know what a disaster Windows Store is...

98% of PC Copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider Were Bought on Steam

probably why they released Quantum Break on Steam.

Not only can they sell so much more copies on Steam, but the community will be much bigger.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22407 Posts

They probably should, but they won't... They probably want to try to make their own version of Steam, built-in to Win 10.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

They should for sure! Not to mention, Sony should put Uncharted/Killzone/Gran Turismo on PC as well. Their PSN store is a disaster and they would probably sell most of their copies on Steam.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 me2002

@kvally said:

They should for sure! Not to mention, Sony should put Uncharted/Killzone/Gran Turismo on PC as well. Their PSN store is a disaster and they would probably sell most of their copies on Steam.

I was talking about mulptiplats that is already on PC, not exclusive games.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kvally

@me2002 said:
@kvally said:

UC, KZ and GT are already on PS Pro as well, so not exclusive.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 me2002

@kvally said:
@me2002 said:
@kvally said:

We know we know, PS4 and "PS Pro" are different systems right?

But I was talking about games already on PC (Halo/Gears/Forza), all they have to do is put it there.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@me2002: That will only happen is Steam gets put on the Scorpio. It's like asking if Horizon: Zero Dawn and Days Gone should be put on Steam.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 me2002

@blackace said:

@me2002: That will only happen is Steam gets put on the Scorpio. It's like asking if Horizon: Zero Dawn and Days Gone should be put on Steam.

Then why did Quantum Break get put on steam? Because there is already a PC version.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Microsoft has 3 options;

* Overhaul the Windows store, eliminate the restrictions (overlay blocks, modding blocks, forced fullscreen, forced v-sync...) that are alienating the PC gaming crowd, let them have the options they're used to and they'll buy from the Windows store

* Offer the games on Steam, have those unrestricted copies on Steam, and I suppose also on the Windows Store, so players have options provided by where they buy their game, possibly opening up competition by having deals on their own front When Steam isn't have a sale

* Keep the games locked on Windows Store, keeping them locked out of options the way they currently are, and sabotaging themselves of potential direct revenue, all from believing that digital exclusivity would coerce PC gamers to accepting the undesirable conditions... which they'll soon see doesn't work, and they can witness the decline of their store front, same way GFWL went down in flames.

But hey, poor sales lead to Quantum Break releasing on Steam, so there's some hope.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20170 Posts

They're in the middle of pushing their universal platform through Windows store. I doubt it.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kvally

@me2002 said:
@kvally said:
@me2002 said:
@kvally said:

We know we know

Yes WE do!

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#12 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@kvally said:
@me2002 said:
@kvally said:

lol youre trying too hard

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61525 Posts

I would like it if they did. However, they'll use them to grow the Windows Store.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

In my mind, MS releasing games on Steam is prelude to a takeover or an admission of defeat. Steam possessing a carve-out of Windows will always been an obstacle to their ambition for a cross-device Windows platform.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kvally

@aigis said:
@kvally said:
@me2002 said:
@kvally said:

lol youre trying too hard

LOL, believe me it's easy LOL

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7714 Posts

70€ for Resident evil 7 on win store sounds like a great deal when it's 50€ on steam.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kvally
@howmakewood said:

70€ for Resident evil 7 on win store sounds like a great deal when it's 50€ on steam.

True, considering you get to play it on Xbox as well With the Steam version, you can't.

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

They should... hell, even make forza steam vr compatible.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Howmakewood
@kvally said:
@howmakewood said:

True, considering you get to play it on Xbox as well With the Steam version, you can't.

Why would I want to play it on Xbox tho? If I want to play from tv there's steam link, which is cheaper than xbox too.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#20  Edited By oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

@AdobeArtist: option 4: Have a Steam app on Scorpio.

I think it will happen.

If they look big picture, stop being greedy and get some of the other store fronts to adopt UWP Steam will too. As long as it's not the only option. Like you said there's ways to work around it like offering exclusives deals thru Windows store or maybe even making Play Anywhere exclusive to the Windows Store. Would this really matter to people that don't own an Xbox?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@me2002 said:
@blackace said:

Then why did Quantum Break get put on steam? Because there is already a PC version.

MS lost money on that game and was extra desperate to make some of it back.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#22 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70164 Posts

@oflow said:

I think it will happen.

Or they announce PC games with UWP support that is compatible with Scorpio.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: it will when you buy an Xbox Scorpio

Fragile lil cow, you'll jump ship again like you did months ago

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Howmakewood

@oflow said:

I think it will happen.

Except Scorpio wont run win32 games, but from what I've heard it could run win32->uwp converts that xbox one can't

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

@oflow said:

I think it will happen.

If they look big picture, stop being greedy and get some of the other store fronts to adopt UWP Steam will too. As long as it's not the only option. Like you said there's ways to work around it like offering exclusives deals thru Windows store or maybe even making Play Anywhere exclusive to the Windows Store. Would this really matter to people that don't own an Xbox?

If something like this was the case. then Microsoft will tightly control the third party store, so they may get 10% of the cut and advertise the store on the Windows Store.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kvally

@howmakewood said:
@kvally said:
@howmakewood said:

Why would I want to play it on Xbox tho? If I want to play from tv there's steam link, which is cheaper than xbox too.

But you are not a console gamer. There are millions that prefer to game on console, and hate PC. And then there are people like me who prefer to play on console, but like to have the PC option. None of my real life friends are on Steam, but they are all on Xbox Live, which is on PC and Xbox.

And like Phil said, not every game will be on PC that is on Xbox. Just like not every exclusive on PS is on PC. Sure, most PS/Xbox exclusives are on PC or another platform, but again, not all.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

If they don't want them to continue flopping sales-wise they should. Windows Store is a virus.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

@me2002 said:
@blackace said:

Because Quantum Break didn't require the Xbox LIVE API to function properly. It is a single player game. Halo, Forza, and Gears of Wars use the Xbox LIVE online system very heavily.

Microsoft already said they would put games on Steam, "when it makes sense". In other words;

• When the game is a 3rd party game but published Microsoft. Game will release on other PC platforms through another publisher.
  • If the game is an indie title and losing "exclusivity rights" doesn't mean much. More sales for indie games, the more money the indie studio makes.
  • When a game is a single player game and doesn't require the Xbox LIVE system to function properly in general.

Flagship first party titles like Halo, Forza, and Gears of War won't be released on Steam or Origin. That is like asking Valve to put Dota 2 on Origin or on uPlay.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@me2002 said:

We all know what a disaster Windows Store is...

98% of PC Copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider Were Bought on Steam

probably why they released Quantum Break on Steam.

Not only can they sell so much more copies on Steam, but the community will be much bigger.

EA's Battlefield 1, Sim 4 and Blizzard's World of Warcraft MMO are not available on Steam.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#30 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70164 Posts

Windows 10 Store is truely terrible. Just last week I went to the store, clicked installed, it downloaded the game and I was able to play immediately after the download. Like WTF Microsoft. Fix this shit.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Pedro said:

Windows 10 Store is truely terrible. Just last week I went to the store, clicked installed, it downloaded the game and I was able to play immediately after the download. Like WTF Microsoft. Fix this shit.

This is sort of why first impressions are very important in virtually everything we do in life. **** up in the start and people will keep bringing it up even when you've improved. Its the reason why ppl still think the window store is broken and that the MCC is still unplayable.

and of course..microsoft's E3 2013

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@howmakewood said:

Steam Link is awful.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#33 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@ShadowDeathX: Because Quantum Break didn't require the Xbox LIVE API to function properly. It is a single player game. Halo, Forza, and Gears of Wars use the Xbox LIVE online system very heavily.

Microsoft already said they would put games on Steam, "when it makes sense". In other words;

When the game is a 3rd party game but published Microsoft. Game will release on other PC platforms through another publisher.

If the game is an indie title and losing "exclusivity rights" doesn't mean much. More sales for indie games, the more money the indie studio makes.

When a game is a single player game and doesn't require the Xbox LIVE system to function properly in general.

Flagship first party titles like Halo, Forza, and Gears of War won't be released on Steam or Origin. That is like asking Valve to put Dota 2 on Origin or on uPlay"

Winner.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#34 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Juub1990: Steam Link is awful"

Yep. I tried that lagfest. It blows.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

@kvally said:

Not sure if sarcasm or not...

Anyway, OP: I'd love for Halo to be on Steam, but it ain't gonna happen.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It would sell more for sure.

But Microsoft will keep their games set on their own store.

which is fine, I mean Ubisoft and EA do the same thing.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Howmakewood

@Juub1990 said:
@howmakewood said:

Steam Link is awful.

works fine for the times I use it, sure you are more or less capped on 1080/60 but hey that's still more than you'd get from playing on console

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@howmakewood: I use an ethernet cable and the lag is still much more prevalent than a direct hdmi cable. A lot more. It's not even close to the same experience. It's a very unappealing alternative.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Howmakewood

@Juub1990 said:

@howmakewood: I use an ethernet cable and the lag is still much more prevalent than a direct hdmi cable. A lot more. It's not even close to the same experience. It's a very unappealing alternative.

sounds a bit odd, what does it show you for stream latency/ping time/bitrate/est bandwidth and pl? and what encoder/decoder? sure it can't beat direct feed as it's still streaming but it shouldn't be that noticeable with good wired connection

That being said I might upgrade to the new Shield TV that features 4k HDR streaming support, I do have 1gbit ethernet at home but not sure if that's even enough for 4k hdr on good bitrate

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I think they should. It would sell like gangbusters