Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Poll Should I get a Switch? (78 votes)

Yes 71%
No 18%
I like cake 10%

So I'm off to Thailand next week with work, I usually just take my 3DS when I travel but I don't have any unfinished games for it. So should I pick up something new for the 3DS or get a Switch with Zelda?

• 
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Yes, but don't take it to Thailand it will get stolen.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

Switch has sh*t battery.

It's a joke portable.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Yes and invest in a 10,00 mAh battery, the Switch along with my GTX 1080 Ti are two of the greatest divestment in gaming I have made in the past 5 years.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Yes. Loads of great games to choose from already. Take a power bank with you since the battery usually lasts around 3-5 hours (depending on what you’re playing).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#5  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Specially if you travel the Switch it a obvious yes.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

@Sgt_Crow said:

Yes. Loads of great games to choose from already. Take a power bank with you since the battery usually lasts around 3-5 hours (depending on what you’re playing).

Best answer here

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

No. It is a terrible waste of money with NO games.

Get a new 3DS game or invest in a PSP.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@stuff238: dude, I own and love my PSP, but the Switch eats it for breakfast.

Definite yes from me - and as a bonus you can set it up in your hotel etc and play more comfortably. The Joycons are pretty comfortable all on their own without using their little grip clip-on deals and without the controller dock. You can try it out first, but I daresay you won't bother packing those

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Wait for a pricedrop and bundle

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

It really depends on what games your looking for, but I can proudly say, to any PC gamers out there, I would go with the Switch if you travel a lot, but right now the library is thin, (I'm talking about Nintendo Switch Exclusive games only) but well worthy of good/fun exclusive games like Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, ARMS, & Super Mario: Odyssey are all fantastic games I enjoy this year, but is it worth almost $400 after taxes? To me it was. Yes buy Nintendo Switch for your travelings and most importantly, it's better to buy Switch now since 3DS is old and who knows how long it will last.

@R4gn4r0k said:

LOL yeah right, that's not gonna happen anytime soon on a price drop.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k

@davillain-: Don't really see anything lol-worthy in what I wrote ?

Simply my stance on any console: Wait for a price drop or cheaper bundle...

Of course Nintendo launch hardware is not so prone to failure as Sony/MS. And they have a good few year one exclusives.

Still, as he has a 3ds, it's really easy to wait.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator

@R4gn4r0k: Sorry, I should have worded better. What I mean is, it's gonna be a very long time for Switch to get a big price drop and when it comes to Nintendo, they take forever to drop the price in consoles and that mainly happens when Nintendo starts to announce there new consoles. Like I said, it really and I mean really, it depends on what exclusive games catches your fancy, but in GarGx1 case, i think he should go buy Switch and Breath of the Wild is so amazing for any reason to owning Switch since he can take it anywhere he goes and you can't do that with a Wii U version.

3DS is still good, but there primary existence is to play Pokemon games.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

if you have to ask, no, you don't deserve one

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Yes and invest in a 10,00 mAh battery, the Switch along with my GTX 1080 Ti are two of the greatest divestment in gaming I have made in the past 5 years.

lol

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Bangkok is fantastic

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
@davillain- said:

@R4gn4r0k: Sorry, I should have worded better. What I mean is, it's gonna be a very long time for Switch to get a big price drop and when it comes to Nintendo, they take forever to drop the price in consoles and that mainly happens when Nintendo starts to announce there new consoles. Like I said, it really and I mean really, it depends on what exclusive games catches your fancy, but in GarGx1 case, i think he should go buy Switch and Breath of the Wild is so amazing for any reason to owning Switch since he can take it anywhere he goes and you can't do that with a Wii U version.

3DS is still good, but there primary existence is to play Pokemon games.

Yeah Nintendo is very stagnant when it comes to price: their games never drop either.

I'm having a hard time remembering a Nintendo console that dropped in price fast (excluding something like Wii U that had a fast price drop because of it flopping)

Personally I'm hoping Nintendo would release a Switch dedicated for handheld gaming, perhaps a bit smaller form factor and more ergonomic to hold for long periods :)

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

You ask this on system wars? People who don't own one or just fanboys will tell you no.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@PCgameruk said:

You ask this on system wars? People who don't own one or just fanboys will tell you no.

I've been hear long enough to know who's opinions to respect and who are just trolling fanboys. Contrary to popular belief there are actually a few people here who know what they are talking about.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

Yes. There is a solid selection of excellent games to play, it’s a really slick system, and the big screen makes the games look great. Like others have said you may want to invest in some kind of power adapter to allow for longer playtime.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

I like cake.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Moderator

@PCgameruk said:

Technically of speaking, It's not what you know, but who you know. Granted, if you been here on SW for a long time, you know who's legit and who's not which by the way, this thread should give you some ideas who the posters are keeping it real and not.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Indeed.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@AzatiS said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

lol

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

Do you like games that are great? Do you like games that score 10/10? Do you like having fun?

If yes to any or all of these you must get a Switch.

Kjtc1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27 Kjtc1979
Member since 2017 • 365 Posts

Yes, and travel with the dock and HDMI cable. I did a road trip with my son last summer and the Switch was used as a portable in the car, but we hooked it up to the hotel TV wherever we stayed.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Do it if you have the funds. Great little system.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Yes. There is a solid selection of excellent games to play, it’s a really slick system, and the big screen makes the games look great. Like others have said you may want to invest in some kind of power adapter to allow for longer playtime.

Kramer speaks the truth. I picked up an Ankar power brick on Amazon that extends my play time by 5x.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#30 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

I'll say yes,
People will say "but all it gets is ports of Wii U games" but the thing is, the Wii U was a flop, it didn't sell the way Nintendo hoped for. So, many did not get to play those games that came out on the Wii U, and now they can. Not only that, but also for the exclusives which are what people buy the Switch for. If you are planning to play most of the time during travel, I would recommend getting a power bank.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Absolutely. Zelda and Mario alone are excellent. Xeno 2 is for sure worth a pick-up. Splatoon 2 is decent fun, though it wasn't really my cup of tea.

In fact i'm missing mine, as I haven't moved much of my electronics to my new condo, so it kinda sucks.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

If you want to play the games it has, absolutely.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#34  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

Switch is on another level compared to 3DS. Definitely worthwhile if you are seeking the portability. I have had a Switch since launch and don't regret buying it. I am not a big portable gamer, but I have used it in portable mode more than I expected. It is still shit as a primary platform, but it is a nice little versatile device that gives you access to the Nintendo exclusives and the odd third party game that you may want to play on the go.

It is no substitute for a PC laptop for some serious gaming while travelling, but it is good for what it is.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Don't bother wasting money on a Switch, just hang out in all the Opium dens and spend your money there.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1853 Posts

I vote yes. Though also get other games. If only Zelda, then I personally wouldn't. I'm going to get a Switch to buy multiple games that are out today alone, and then add the later games to my list.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

I'm a PC gamer. Last console I owned was the Gamecube.

I got the Switch and I like it. It will be collecting dust once I finish Zelda, but I'm sure they'll pump out something new soon (Octopath looks promising and I'll grab DK Country too since I never played the Wii U version.

It's a solid handheld, but just keep in mind the battery life is only 3 hours long so you might need a power bank.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I think it depends if you want what's available or not.

It's no secret that I love the system, but people have different tastes. The 3DS has a EXTREMELY good Library of games and I doubt you have finished everything that system has to offer so I'd say go out and explore what's out there for it.

But If you want to play games that are of console quality I'd recommend getting a Switch. You can go no wrong playing Doom on the Road.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@BassMan said:

Switch is on another level compared to 3DS. Definitely worthwhile if you are seeking the portability. I have had a Switch since launch and don't regret buying it. I am not a big portable gamer, but I have used it in portable mode more than I expected. It is still shit as a primary platform, but it is a nice little versatile device that gives you access to the Nintendo exclusives and the odd third party game that you may want to play on the go.

It is no substitute for a PC laptop for some serious gaming while travelling, but it is good for what it is.

I'd much rather have a gaming laptop but that's out my price range at the moment, at least for the performance I'd want, where as a switch isn't.

@hitmanactual said:

Don't bother wasting money on a Switch, just hang out in all the Opium dens and spend your money there.

If only, I'll be working most of the time. I'm sure I'll have some downtime but not enough to recover from a drug fuelled binge.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@AzatiS said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

lol

He's a known saltmine.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I'd get it especially since at the moment online play is free.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

If it interests you then go for it.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

If your spending long lengths of time sitting in a plane then yes, buy one and a power bank.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf

@techhog89 said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@AzatiS said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

lol

He's a known saltmine.

Nah... You guys just can't handle opinions that conflict with yours.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Litchie

@AzatiS said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

lol

Not sure why having a beast of a PC where you can play everything, including the best versions of multiplats (if your standards are low enough to enjoy those games) with a complimentary console/handheld with great games you can't find on any other hardware is LOL worthy.

Should he have bought a PlayStation with grappy graphics, worse version of multi-plats and uninteresting exclusives instead? Or maybe an Xbox that doesn't have any wortwhile games whatsoever?

Please enlighten me on how not having the best of the best shit is a good thing.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@Litchie said:
@AzatiS said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

lol

Not sure why having a beast of a PC where you can play everything, including the best versions of multiplats (if your standards are low enough to enjoy those games) with a complimentary console/handheld with great games you can't find on any other hardware is LOL worthy.

Should he have bought a PlayStation with grappy graphics, worse version of multi-plats and uninteresting exclusives instead? Or maybe an Xbox that doesn't have any wortwhile games whatsoever?

Please enlighten me on how not having the best of the best shit is a good thing.

I used the word divestment... He lol'ed at that, which was my intent, because I buy hardware use it and sell it which is the definition of the word more or less.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Litchie

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Ah. I completely missed that.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

But, how would that help him with his trip next week tho?

Yeah GarGx, seems a proper gaming laptop would be more your thing. If it's out of the current budget though, Switch is a fine choice, and it'll net you some good/great games you won't find on PC.

I'm not really a fan of handheld gaming, but using the Switch with its kickstand and a controller in hand works well for me. I wasn't a fan of BotW on such a small screen tbh, but that's more of a personal preference. Just felt weird playing a game with such a sweeping open world on a tiny screen lol.

I'd say the most important factor here would be seeing how many of its exclusives (current and upcoming) actually interest you. As great as BotW is, seems a bit much to buy a Switch for that game alone.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#49 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2564 Posts

If you want a game that is there sure why not, but i had to vote for the cake.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Depends if you like Nintendo style graphics too.