Should i get a 3ds?

Avatar image for ultimatium
Ultimatium

10

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ultimatium
Member since 2019 • 10 Posts

So, im a big fan of nintendos games. I have been playing games like super mario 64, ocarina of time, majoras mask and luigis mansion for a long time. I mostly play them on my emulators these days, but im thinking about buying a 3ds, so i can play the 3ds versions. If i buy a 3ds, which one should i get?

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

32076

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 32076 Posts

It's not a bad handheld but... why wouldn't you go for the Switch instead?

Games like Ocarina of time and Majora's Mask changed very little in the transition to the handheld, so I wouldn't recommend getting a 3DS just for those.

I would recommend playing the DS and 3DS Zelda games that were uniquely made for the consoles ;)

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

28988

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28988 Posts

I’d say just go for the Switch or Switch Lite instead. However if money is an issue then I’d recommend the New 2DS. The 3D aspect is neat but I didn’t think that is was all that much of a big deal.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

39388

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39388 Posts

3DS still hold well today's standard but Nintendo now is slowly trying to decline the product more so due to the Switch is their primary target support. I think it’s worth grabbing 3DS now. The system has great/awesome library, and we’ve reached the point where the library is pretty much complete, but games aren’t too hard to come by. If you’re going to grab one, I would do so sooner rather than later. N3DSXLs are already hard to come by, and I could see N2DSXL production slowing/stopping as the Switch Lite takes over the lower budget portion of the handheld market.

I still play my N3DSXL from time to time despite I own a Switch and the 3DS library of games is worth the investment due to lower price.

Avatar image for ultimatium
Ultimatium

10

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Ultimatium
Member since 2019 • 10 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

It's not a bad handheld but... why wouldn't you go for the Switch instead?

Well, im mostly interested in the 3ds because of the 3ds versions of my games. I havent bought a console from nintendo in about ten years, thats why im asking for advices on which 3ds i should get.

Avatar image for TJDMHEM
TJDMHEM

2739

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 2739 Posts

Yes you should get a 3ds

Avatar image for wolfpup7
wolfpup7

1332

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By wolfpup7
Member since 2004 • 1332 Posts

Get a New 2DS or new 3DS if you can and you’re getting one. They’ve got more buttons and a second stick and a much more powerful cpu which for some fames literally boosts the FPS 50% (probably a small number of games it helps, but still).

Also the 3D on the non “new” models is worthless as you have to have your head totally still, which is unrealistic.

From the time I’ve spent in store with a New 3ds, it seems like the 3d actually works...somehow it’s using 4 cameras to aim the effect at your head, and at least in store is seemed surprisingly excellent.

System has a pile of great games, of course, and runs ds games also, and there’s piles of good ds games as well.

While lower resolution, it’s basically like Playstation 2 class hardware, which ain’t bad.

Edit: while I’d go with a new 2DS/3ds if you can, even the original 2DS is solid. Feels comfortable to hold, and is solid enough hardware, and for <$100 new, which is a steal.

Avatar image for Postosuchus
Postosuchus

637

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 637 Posts

I have both the 3dsXL and a Switch, and the switch is nowhere near as portable as the 3DS if that’s a concern. I can fit my 3ds in any amount of pockets, and it comes with it’s own protective “case.” Unlike the switch which has a fragile exposed screen and is too big for anything other than a backpack/purse or maybe one of those giant winter coat pockets. Anyway to sum it up the 3DS is still a good option if you want to game in the go, and has a plenty big library.

Avatar image for Litchie
Litchie

24827

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24827 Posts

I prefer the New 3DS XL.

2DS looks weird and you can't fold it.

New 3DS XL has a bigger screen than New 3DS.

"New" 3DS means better hardware than regular 3DS. There's a few games you need a New 3DS for. It also added a c-stick (which sucks, but it's better than nothing).

Avatar image for vfighter
VFighter

5629

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5629 Posts

The 3d's is a great deal, you can get a used one cheap, new ones aren't crazy exspensive and the catalog of games is impressive. Its a no brainer if you're looking to get a handheld.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

36447

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 36447 Posts

3DS is pretty awesome, like it more than the Switch. Play DS games as well depending on the model.

Avatar image for pinkribbonscars
PinkRibbonScars

188

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#12 PinkRibbonScars
Member since 2019 • 188 Posts

3DS versions of OOT / MM are dumbed down to the point of ruination. Stick to the N64 versions

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

39388

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#13 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39388 Posts

@pinkribbonscars said:

3DS versions of OOT / MM are dumbed down to the point of ruination. Stick to the N64 versions

Now this I agree with. I still own Legend of Zleda: OOT & MM on N64 and they both still remain to their original charm. The 3DS versions, they change some of the stuff I wasn't happy about.

Avatar image for jeezers
jeezers

3662

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#14 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 3662 Posts

Get the new 2DSXL , nice screen good speakers, 3d is pointless.

Awesome handheld for on the go.

Link between worlds and the N64 remakes are dope, and a shit ton of platformers/rpgs for the thing. But i recommend getting an R4 card for roms for it, or just get one with roms preloaded like this one.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401896465074

You can play original DS games on it so the library is giant for it.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
MclarenMaster18

2003

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#15 MclarenMaster18
Member since 2014 • 2003 Posts

If platformers, adventure and kart racers are your favourite genres then you should buy it.

Avatar image for ultimatium
Ultimatium

10

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Ultimatium
Member since 2019 • 10 Posts
@jeezers said:

Get the new 2DSXL , nice screen good speakers, 3d is pointless.

Well, im not sure if its just me, but the new 2ds xl looks a bit like cheap plastic. I think i prefer the new 3ds xl. Anyway, i guess its a toss up between the new 2ds xl and the new 3dsxl?

Avatar image for sonny2dap
sonny2dap

1548

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#17 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 1548 Posts

I've just jumped on with switch after the 3dsxl being my go to since it came out for on the go gaming, If you play mainly at home I kind of feel like the switch is the better choice at this stage, regardless if you're set on a DS the 3dsxl is plenty great and if you don't get on with the 3d just turn it off, (if you're going for a pokemon fix as well, X/Y or ORAS skip sun/moon.)

Avatar image for Litchie
Litchie

24827

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#18 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24827 Posts

@jeezers said:

3d is pointless.

Nah, it's cool. Works even better on the New 3DS. Even helps you out in some games, as you'll be able to see distances between objects better. Mario 3D Land used the effect really well. Loved the 3D effect in Ocarina of Time as well, one of the games TC is interested in.

Avatar image for Litchie
Litchie

24827

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#19 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24827 Posts
@davillain- said:
@pinkribbonscars said:

3DS versions of OOT / MM are dumbed down to the point of ruination. Stick to the N64 versions

Now this I agree with. I still own Legend of Zleda: OOT & MM on N64 and they both still remain to their original charm. The 3DS versions, they change some of the stuff I wasn't happy about.

Really? I thought OoT on 3DS was awesome and a great way of updating it without destroying stuff.

What did they do that you guys didn't like? I don't remember any significant changes.. Only things I remember they changed was some menu annoyances and stuff I was happy about them updating.

Avatar image for pinkribbonscars
PinkRibbonScars

188

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By PinkRibbonScars
Member since 2019 • 188 Posts

@Litchie said:
@davillain- said:
@pinkribbonscars said:

3DS versions of OOT / MM are dumbed down to the point of ruination. Stick to the N64 versions

Now this I agree with. I still own Legend of Zleda: OOT & MM on N64 and they both still remain to their original charm. The 3DS versions, they change some of the stuff I wasn't happy about.

Really? I thought OoT on 3DS was awesome and a great way of updating it without destroying stuff.

What did they do that you guys didn't like? I don't remember any significant changes.. Only things I remember they changed was some menu annoyances and stuff I was happy about them updating.

The hint system that ruins all sense of exploration and discovery (for first time players) and the general dumbing down of difficulty. The upgraded graphics and 3D effects are nice though

Avatar image for lebanese_boy
lebanese_boy

15164

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#21 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 15164 Posts

@pinkribbonscars said:
@Litchie said:
@davillain- said:
@pinkribbonscars said:

3DS versions of OOT / MM are dumbed down to the point of ruination. Stick to the N64 versions

Now this I agree with. I still own Legend of Zleda: OOT & MM on N64 and they both still remain to their original charm. The 3DS versions, they change some of the stuff I wasn't happy about.

Really? I thought OoT on 3DS was awesome and a great way of updating it without destroying stuff.

What did they do that you guys didn't like? I don't remember any significant changes.. Only things I remember they changed was some menu annoyances and stuff I was happy about them updating.

The hint system that ruins all sense of exploration and discovery (for first time players) and the general dumbing down of difficulty. The upgraded graphics and 3D effects are nice though

I'm not aware of any difficulty being decreased in those releases, are you sure you didn't just overestimate the difficulty? I kinda did with some temples but in retrospect they were not super hard. The hint system you can simply ignore and never interact with, i would hardly complain about that.

Avatar image for jeezers
jeezers

3662

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 3662 Posts

@ultimatium said:
@jeezers said:

Get the new 2DSXL , nice screen good speakers, 3d is pointless.

Well, im not sure what it is, but the new 2dsxl looks a bit like a cheap plastic design to me. I think i prefer the new 3dsxl. Anyway, i guess its a toss up between the new 2dsxl and the new 3dsxl?

Cant really go wrong with either one, 2dsXL doesnt feel cheap tho, ive played with both versions, it is slightly lighter (because they removed the 3d) but it has a matte finish which i prefer, the 3DS is a slicker shiner plastic but shows scuffs and scratches more, also prefer the screen on 2DS XL as well as the speakers.

Its just preference, there are a few games that utilize the 3d, super mario 3d land is probably the best game for this as mentioned above. I say go to a game shop and ask to hold both and go with your gut. Personally i think the 3D feature is a headache maker and many agree. Big reason the 2DS XL even exists. Also it runs 50-60 bucks cheaper new, which could be 2-3 games to go with it

Avatar image for pinkribbonscars
PinkRibbonScars

188

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#23 PinkRibbonScars
Member since 2019 • 188 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:
@pinkribbonscars said:
@Litchie said:
@davillain- said:
@pinkribbonscars said:

3DS versions of OOT / MM are dumbed down to the point of ruination. Stick to the N64 versions

Now this I agree with. I still own Legend of Zleda: OOT & MM on N64 and they both still remain to their original charm. The 3DS versions, they change some of the stuff I wasn't happy about.

Really? I thought OoT on 3DS was awesome and a great way of updating it without destroying stuff.

What did they do that you guys didn't like? I don't remember any significant changes.. Only things I remember they changed was some menu annoyances and stuff I was happy about them updating.

The hint system that ruins all sense of exploration and discovery (for first time players) and the general dumbing down of difficulty. The upgraded graphics and 3D effects are nice though

I'm not aware of any difficulty being decreased in those releases, are you sure you didn't just overestimate the difficulty?

Maybe, but it felt like the enemies died in fewer hits when I played the 3DS versions

Avatar image for lebanese_boy
lebanese_boy

15164

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#24 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 15164 Posts

@pinkribbonscars said:
@lebanese_boy said:
@pinkribbonscars said:
@Litchie said:
@davillain- said:

Now this I agree with. I still own Legend of Zleda: OOT & MM on N64 and they both still remain to their original charm. The 3DS versions, they change some of the stuff I wasn't happy about.

Really? I thought OoT on 3DS was awesome and a great way of updating it without destroying stuff.

What did they do that you guys didn't like? I don't remember any significant changes.. Only things I remember they changed was some menu annoyances and stuff I was happy about them updating.

The hint system that ruins all sense of exploration and discovery (for first time players) and the general dumbing down of difficulty. The upgraded graphics and 3D effects are nice though

I'm not aware of any difficulty being decreased in those releases, are you sure you didn't just overestimate the difficulty?

Maybe, but it felt like the enemies died in fewer hits when I played the 3DS versions

It's certainly possible that they tweaked a few things here and there but I've never noticed it. I'm pretty sure the tweaks are more quality-of-life kind of stuff.

Avatar image for jeezers
jeezers

3662

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#25 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 3662 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:
@pinkribbonscars said:
@lebanese_boy said:
@pinkribbonscars said:
@Litchie said:

Really? I thought OoT on 3DS was awesome and a great way of updating it without destroying stuff.

What did they do that you guys didn't like? I don't remember any significant changes.. Only things I remember they changed was some menu annoyances and stuff I was happy about them updating.

The hint system that ruins all sense of exploration and discovery (for first time players) and the general dumbing down of difficulty. The upgraded graphics and 3D effects are nice though

I'm not aware of any difficulty being decreased in those releases, are you sure you didn't just overestimate the difficulty?

Maybe, but it felt like the enemies died in fewer hits when I played the 3DS versions

It's certainly possible that they tweaked a few things here and there but I've never noticed it. I'm pretty sure the tweaks are more quality-of-life kind of stuff.

I like the tilting of the system to aim stuff like the hook shot.

Avatar image for theone86
theone86

22626

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#26 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22626 Posts

I bought one pretty late in its life cycle and I don't really regret it. It's got a lot of great games and you could seriously spend a lifetime playing through all the old games on the e-shop. It's also got some awesome modern games (Kirby, Luigi's mansion, etc.), not to mention remakes of N64 and gamecube games.

My biggest reason to say no would be what they did to the Wii U e-shop. It's likely that, at some point in time, the 3DS store is just going to shut down and you will no longer be able to buy the games you want. Nintendo's physical games also usually spike in price once they stop supporting a console, so you also want to question whether or not you'd be willing to pay $100+ for a game you want if you aren't able to get it before then. Finally, if any of the games you play need online functionality (Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, even transferring Pokemon), that's going to be completely gone at some point. Something to consider.

It's probably not a bad idea to consider spending the extra money on the Switch if you have it. Personally, I'm kind of salty about constantly having to buy the same games from the 80's without any ability to transfer them to a new system, among a few other gripes. But the 3DS is still a worthwhile system right now.

Avatar image for magmadragoonx4
magmadragoonx4

671

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#27 magmadragoonx4
Member since 2015 • 671 Posts

3ds is an amazing system with tons of great games, if you only want n64 remake games then you might not want the most expensive model so I'd say either a New 2ds xl or the regular 3ds xl.

Avatar image for ultimatium
Ultimatium

10

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Ultimatium
Member since 2019 • 10 Posts

@jeezers:

@jeezers said:

Its just preference, there are a few games that utilize the 3d, super mario 3d land is probably the best game for this as mentioned above. I say go to a game shop and ask to hold both and go with your gut. Personally i think the 3D feature is a headache maker and many agree. Big reason the 2DS XL even exists. Also it runs 50-60 bucks cheaper new, which could be 2-3 games to go with it

I see. I may just buy a 2ds xl. Is it best to buy the games digitally?

Avatar image for dzimm
dzimm

5621

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#29 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 5621 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

It's not a bad handheld but... why wouldn't you go for the Switch instead?

Games like Ocarina of time and Majora's Mask changed very little in the transition to the handheld, so I wouldn't recommend getting a 3DS just for those.

I would recommend playing the DS and 3DS Zelda games that were uniquely made for the consoles ;)

The main advantage of getting a 3DS at this point is that it's cheap, and every game can be found at a steep discount, whether new or used. You can save a lot of money if you have the discipline to keep yourself one generation behind.

Avatar image for ultimatium
Ultimatium

10

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#30 Ultimatium
Member since 2019 • 10 Posts

Well, i dont really play any switch games. I mostly just play the good old classics.

Avatar image for benleslie5
benleslie5

8808

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 545

User Lists: 0

#31 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 8808 Posts

If they are going cheap and you love JRPG games on it worth picking up

Avatar image for jeezers
jeezers

3662

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#32  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 3662 Posts

@ultimatium said:

@jeezers:

@jeezers said:

Its just preference, there are a few games that utilize the 3d, super mario 3d land is probably the best game for this as mentioned above. I say go to a game shop and ask to hold both and go with your gut. Personally i think the 3D feature is a headache maker and many agree. Big reason the 2DS XL even exists. Also it runs 50-60 bucks cheaper new, which could be 2-3 games to go with it

I see. I may just buy a 2ds xl. Is it best to buy the games digitally?

I buy mine physical, because i like to resell from time to time. It uses SD cards tho so digital works fine, i just personally wouldnt since the system isnt really going to be supported much longer, safer to buy physical.

I definitely recommend getting an R4 card for it, then you can just play what ever you want for free.

China sells cheap ones with DS games pre loaded on Ebay. They work great, you can spend 16-20 bucks and have 200 older DS games to mess with.

https://www.ebay.com/c/23014270020

< pre loaded

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-R4-Gold-Pro-SDHC-Game-Card-Supplies-for-DS-3DS-2DS-Rotary-Cartridges/401889353573?hash=item5d9278df65:g:nR0AAOSwTrZdgfDP

< install yourself

Avatar image for speeny
Speeny

2168

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#33 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2168 Posts

I’d get one. I still use mine regularly and love it. Though, the Switch has really been the first highlight for me in years. I’m even slowly accepting the online subscription features/offerings too. :P

Avatar image for ultimatium
Ultimatium

10

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By Ultimatium
Member since 2019 • 10 Posts

@jeezers said:

I definitely recommend getting an R4 card for it, then you can just play what ever you want for free.

China sells cheap ones with DS games pre loaded on Ebay. They work great, you can spend 16-20 bucks and have 200 older DS games to mess with.

https://www.ebay.com/c/23014270020

I just went through the list of games. I didnt find a single game that i want to play, so im probably just going to stick to my favorite games.

Avatar image for JustPlainLucas
JustPlainLucas

79546

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#35 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79546 Posts

Yes, you should have had one back in 2011.