Should cloud saves be free?

• 97 results
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

Poll Should cloud saves be free? (50 votes)

Yes. I enjoy free cloud saves. 88%
No. I prefer to pay for cloud saves. 12%

What is the SW take on cloud saves being locked behind a paywall?😎

• 
Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I rarely use them so I don't care. I didn't even bother using them when I switched from PS4 to PS5 and I had 10GB of saves.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

@Telekill: Some platforms it is automatic and using it is the default state for every game that you play.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

Oh i love it. Not only should there be a price on cloud saves but it should be charged on a per game basis. sure its only fair that the more games you have the more saves you have and the more space they take up. i think a fee of $1 per month per game is perfectly reasonable.

/s...../S! nintendo. dont do it! oh god i have given them an idea havent i? :S

in all seriousness though its BS.

its even more BS when they are locked behind a paywall AND there is no other way to back them up....looking in YOUR DIRECTION nintendo.....get your crap together (i presume you can manually backup saves on a PS4 and 5. it was possible on the PS3 with a few exceptions).

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Of course!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Never cared for cloud saves until my Switch died and realised that all my Zelda BotW progression (+100h) was gone forever. Then I realized how fundamental they were. It also nice to get a brand new XSX and all my saves just being there as if nothing changed.

Kinda shitty to force people on a subscription when an hardware issue on the console side might lose you all your saves.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Free is always better.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

Absolutely, it's free on PC and I see no reason why anyone should charge for such a thing. At the very least an alternative method should be provided to keep your saves offline on a separate storage. But even then I still think free cloud saves are a must and before anyone bitches about it the cost for maintaining such things are so insignificant that it makes no logical sense to charge for them hence why they're free on pc.

philamona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 philamona
Member since 2020 • 50 Posts

@ghost_of_phobos: I never knew until last year that we cannot copy our save data outside of the internal memory on the Switch. While we can save our images and videos to our SD cards, we cannot do so for save data.

Perhaps Nintendo not allow users to copy their game's save data is a anti-piracy or anti-hacking scheme. We were allowed to copy save date on the Wii and Wii U.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

It would be anti-consumer to have to pay for them. What company in their right mind would do something so dumb as to make you pay for them??? 😁

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lebanese_boy

@philamona said:

@ghost_of_phobos: I never knew until last year that we cannot copy our save data outside of the internal memory on the Switch. While we can save our images and videos to our SD cards, we cannot do so for save data.

Perhaps Nintendo not allow users to copy their game's save data is a anti-piracy or anti-hacking scheme. We were allowed to copy save date on the Wii and Wii U.

There is no valid reason for Nintendo to not allow us to transfer saves. As you said it was possible on WiiU but it was also possible on 3DS. A definite downgrade with Switch.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11  Edited By deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:
@philamona said:

There is no valid reason for Nintendo to not allow us to transfer saves. As you said it was possible on WiiU but it was also possible on 3DS. A definite downgrade with Switch.

I have learnt Nintendo can do what they want. They have the most indoctrinated fan base on the planet.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44150 Posts

Yeah, I feel that cloud saves should be free.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lebanese_boy

@Random_Matt said:
@lebanese_boy said:
@philamona said:

I have learnt Nintendo can do what they want. They have the most indoctrinated fan base on the planet.

People keep saying that but the reality is that all fanboys of every platform are mindless indoctrinated sheep. That's normal, they're fanboys and Nintendo's aren't any more special than Sony's or MS'.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@Pedro: Sony locking cloud saves behind a paywall is outrageous. Why don’t they do like ms, and adjust policies according to what gamers want..?

Worse, they promote a handy feature of the ui which supplies hints without opening the game, and put that behind a paywall too.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

lol console gamers have to pay for this?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pedro

@zaryia: Only if you are on certain consoles.😎

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

It's a service that companies spend money on to have. I don't blame them if it's behind a pay wall.

Poll has horrible options. No I do not prefer to pay, but I understand why it's behind a pay wall.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@Chutebox: There are only two platforms on the market in which you pay for cloudsaves. If the other platforms can accomplish this, I see no reason why this shouldn't be a default feature on the other two platforms.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@lebanese_boy: Bingo lol, I always laugh when one fanbase says another is "the worst".

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pedro

@vfighter: Except that Sony fannies are the worst on this forum.😮

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lebanese_boy

@Pedro said:

@Chutebox: There are only two platforms on the market in which you pay for cloudsaves. If the other platforms can accomplish this, I see no reason why this shouldn't be a default feature on the other two platforms.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lebanese_boy
@vfighter said:

@lebanese_boy: Bingo lol, I always laugh when one fanbase says another is "the worst".

Exactly lol.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

I always thought cloud saves were free from the start?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pedro

@davillain-: I found out the hard way.😥

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chutebox

@Pedro: It's obviously up to them. I don't fault them either way.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pedro

@Chutebox: We all know it is up to them, but it is also up to us to decide what is acceptable and what isn't. We should promote things that are in gamers' favor.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Chutebox

@Pedro: Everything being free is in a gamer's favor. That's not going to happen. Game prices being lowered is in gamer's favor. Not going to happen. Companies decide to do things differently than other companies. It is what it is. If it upset me, they wouldn't have my money.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@Chutebox: Your point would have more weight IF cloudsave weren't free on other platforms.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Chutebox

@Pedro: And do all services offer the same exact thing?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro

@Chutebox said:

@Pedro: And do all services offer the same exact thing?

Come on. We are talking about services that are near identical. I am not sure why you are making the issue on cloud saves more complicated than it need be.

PS, Nintendo and Xbox charge for online gaming.

PS, Nintendo and Xbox offer games with this service.

PS and Nintendo charges for cloud saves by binding it to the services listed prior.

Xbox, Steam and Epic Games doesn't charge for cloud saves.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Chutebox

@Pedro: It's not complicated at all. Near identical is not identical. Each service offers something a little different, and cloud saves happens to be one of those things

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pedro

@Chutebox: Your "argument" has no legs man. Right now you just trying to find something that will hold.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Should be free. I had PS+ so I was able to transfer my PS4 saves to PS5. If I didn’t I’d be pissed. That shit is fairly standard.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Don't keep up with consoles much, but I figured this was already standard across the board. Nintendo doesn't surprise me because fucking Nintendo, but still.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Also devs should put more effort into those cloud saves working across platforms.

C'mon Dead Cells, I'm looking at you 👀

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Didn't even know you have to pay for them.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#37  Edited By madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Erm, yeah?

I've been using cloud saves for years. I don't even think about it. After recently reinstalling Windows on my new SSD, I just reinstalled my games and carried right where I left off.

It's such a minor convenience feature I'm a little baffled that you implied some people actually charge money for it.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Chutebox

@Pedro: sure it does, you just don't agree.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Pedro you went 10 years without making a "Should free to play games be free on Xbox one like all other systems? " but the day they finally do it you make this piece about cloud saves being free or not.

Where were you when fire hit the fan and we had to pay a ton of cash for xbl gold to play free to play games online.

Dude. Just. You can't keep doing this its like the breaking bad gif.

Pedro posting another thing about stuff being behind a paywall. (while xbox one owners had to pay 60 a year to play fornite) CALL HIM OUT!

System warriors and other lems please call out Pedro where was he with free to play games being free on xbox one instead makes a post about cloud saves.   He can't keep GETTING away with this system warrior where are you?
System warriors and other lems please call out Pedro where was he with free to play games being free on xbox one instead makes a post about cloud saves. He can't keep GETTING away with this system warrior where are you?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pedro

@Chutebox: It doesn't but it seems like I dealing a slew of folks with failed arguments today, so you are fitting right in.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Chutebox

@Pedro: I'm glad your opinion of yourself seems to comfort you. 😄

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Cloud saves are a luxury among luxuries; if they locked them behind a paywall, I think most people would stop using it. Or at least enough people to make it not profitable.

The real question is this: are publishers shitty enough to make cloud saves the only way to save the game, and eliminate the option to save conventionally?

I have no doubt at some point some of these publishers that have gone the "online-only" route, even for singleplayer games, would probably try something like that for "quality of life" improvements and "security" and "to streamline the process".

And what would we really pay for? Storage space? For what? Most game save files are a handful of MB, if even that (I think my Factorio save files are still in KB lol).

Then that leaves the service aspect where, imo, they should just do it for "free". They're already collecting all kinds of info from us, watching our game data, and so on. What's a save file to them other than a small amount of space and more data to mine and sell?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mrbojangles25
@ProtossRushX said:

Pedro you went 10 years without making a "Should free to play games be free on Xbox one like all other systems? " but the day they finally do it you make this piece about cloud saves being free or not.

Where were you when fire hit the fan and we had to pay a ton of cash for xbl gold to play free to play games online.

Pedro posting another thing about stuff being behind a paywall. (while xbox one owners had to pay 60 a year to play fornite) CALL HIM OUT!

System warriors and other lems please call out Pedro where was he with free to play games being free on xbox one instead makes a vid about cloud saves he can't keep GETTING away with this system warrior where are yo
System warriors and other lems please call out Pedro where was he with free to play games being free on xbox one instead makes a vid about cloud saves he can't keep GETTING away with this system warrior where are yo

Jesus H Christ, stop being such a baby.

You're just another fanboy among fanboys telling different fanboys to stop being fanboys.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pedro

@Chutebox:I am sorry that you cannot accept that you have no argument. 😪

@mrbojangles25 said:

Cloud saves are a luxury among luxuries; if they locked them behind a paywall, I think most people would stop using it. Or at least enough people to make it not profitable.

The real question is this: are publishers shitty enough to make cloud saves the only way to save the game, and eliminate the option to save conventionally?

I have no doubt at some point some of these publishers that have gone the "online-only" route, even for singleplayer games, would probably try something like that for "quality of life" improvements and "security" and "to streamline the process".

And what would we really pay for? Storage space? For what? Most game save files are a handful of MB, if even that (I think my Factorio save files are still in KB lol).

Then that leaves the service aspect where, imo, they should just do it for "free". They're already collecting all kinds of info from us, watching our game data, and so on. What's a save file to them other than a small amount of space and more data to mine and sell?

I don't think cloud saves would be the only way to save a game. What are the incentives for that move? Data collection is already happening with things like achievements and trophies, so save files are not needed.

What single player games are you referencing that are online only?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74

@mrbojangles25 said:
@ProtossRushX said:

You're just another fanboy among fanboys telling different fanboys to stop being fanboys.

Your the same guy who said a instant 60 dollar price hike was still a "good deal" for xbox people. While not even getting it yourself. Like why are you speaking for those people when you don't even use it?

If you thought it was such a good deal wouldn't you have had it yourself?

A lot of Xbox guys didn't think it was a good deal anymore any said they were gonna cancel because of it i've never seen a 60 dollar increase in a subscription ever in one fell swoop like that. Netflix maybe a few dollars here and there or whatever not 60 at once. I've never seen 60 dollar jump like all at once EVER.

Well dude when you say paying 120 dollars a year to play free to play games online is a "good deal" people do take notice seriously I had to read it three times to let sink in as a free online PC gamer. What are you playing on xbox online that is making it such a great deal?

You call me fanboy look yourself in the mirror bojangles other people and mods said this was a trash deal now except you who said it was still "good" while its free on pc and was 60 on ps and 20 on ninty. 120 isn't good at all bro.

Its not good its bad they reversed it it was so bad. Even if you only own an xbox and need to play your games online it was bad. It mighta been better just switch to playstation over a long period of time you would save a crap ton.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@ProtossRushX said:

Your the same guy who said a instant 60 dollar price hike was still a "good deal" for xbox people. While not even getting it yourself. Like why are you speaking for those people when you don't even use it?

If you thought it was such a good deal wouldn't you have had it yourself?

A lot of Xbox guys didn't think it was a good deal anymore any said they were gonna cancel because of it i've never seen a 60 dollar increase in a subscription ever in one fell swoop like that. Netflix maybe a few dollars here and there or whatever not 60 at once. I've never seen 60 dollar jump like all at once EVER.

Well dude when you say paying 120 dollars a year to play free to play games online is a "good deal" people do take notice seriously I had to read it three times to let sink in as a free online PC gamer. What are you playing on xbox online that is making it such a great deal?

You call me fanboy look yourself in the mirror bojangles other people and mods said this was a trash deal now except you who said it was still "good" while its free on pc and was 60 on ps and 20 on ninty. 120 isn't good at all bro.

Its not good its bad they reversed it it was so bad. Even if you only own an xbox and need to play your games online it was bad. It mighta been better just switch to playstation over a long period of time you would save a crap ton.

Google translation; ”I don’t want to talk about Sony charging for cloud saves”.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pedro

@mrbojangles25 said:

Look what you have done. Bad Bojangles bad bad bad. 😋

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mrbojangles25

@Pedro said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Sorry :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Pedro said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Sorry :(

It's all good bro just ignore all the criticism's you get from an insane comment you made about a 60 dollar increase still being a good deal. Now you can be just like Pedro who nobody takes seriously on here (a super lemming)

Cool bro.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mrbojangles25

@ProtossRushX: Thanks for being so understanding. I do ignore it for the most part, I am a member of the PC master race after all. I just like to go slumming once in a while and wallow in the filth you console folks have to live with, and sometimes it gets the better of me. Still, it makes me appreciate PC much more so expect to hear more insane comments.