Should CDP remake the Witcher (1) at some point?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Should CDP remake the Witcher (1) at some point? (51 votes)

ye 39%
no 57%

Hello. This is a question.

Originally it was intended to have remake specifically for console before it was unceremoniously cancelled.

The original Witcher game (PC) had a lot of content, a lot of half-baked ideas and fairly low production values, with masses of assets re-used to the point you'd be talking to the same modelled character feed away. It's aged badly.

Would you be for them going back after Cyberpunk and doing this? Or just leave it be, move on etc...?

• 
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

I’ve only played the second and third games and really enjoyed them so I wouldn’t mind a remake of the first game for consoles.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Fedor  Online
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

If it's only console don't bother. I'd rather they move on to other things regardless, but if they remade 1 I'd play it again.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Nah. They've grown fairly decently in terms of the games they offer so I wouldn't want them to backpedal to The Witcher. Give me something else in TW universe, or give us new experiences.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#4 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Move on I think. I want to keep making new IP's due to the fact that they get more ambitious every time

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

No, there's no point and they don't stand to earn anything by doing so. Honestly I found the first game to be trash.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19566 Posts

Nah, the first game was (and still is) fantastic - there's no need to remake it.

I'd prefer that they deliver something new and different - either in The Witcher universe or somewhere different.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24914 Posts

No thanks. its worst CDPR game. even worse than witcher 3.

CDPR should only focus on Cyberpunk and that looks like thier best game.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56079 Posts

Remaking Witcher 1 would ruin what made it special, it had a certain unique atmosphere that was the result of the perfect mix of the visuals, locations, artstyle, and most important of all, the music. Changing any of those in a remake would ruin it all.

I want CDPR focus on expanding Cyberpunk 2077 if we can and I'm glad they are done with Witcher series. No remake, let it stay in the past and onward to the future.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Nope. Couldn’t go back to it years ago, wouldn’t go back to it today. Nothing to do with presentation; mechanically it’s painful to endure.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Never played the first 2 and bit the bullet playing the 3rd a few weeks ago. It never did look like my kind of game, so I put it off for a while. That was a huge mistake. The game is amazing. I'm really enjoying it. So I would love a remake of the 1st.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

No. Make something new. We don't need a remake of the first, 3 more sequels and 4 spinoffs. Leave The Witcher while it still has its' dignity.

****, I hate the entertainment business so much today.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

No thanks. Although I enjoyed 1EE more than 2EE, I'd rather see them do something new.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24914 Posts
@Litchie said:

No. Make something new.

Thats what they are doing.

Making something new.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Nah the first game is playable as-is.

I really liked Witcher 1.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

@davillain- said:

Remaking Witcher 1 would ruin what made it special, it had a certain unique atmosphere that was the result of the perfect mix of the visuals, locations, artstyle, and most important of all, the music. Changing any of those in a remake would ruin it all.

I want CDPR focus on expanding Cyberpunk 2077 if we can and I'm glad they are done with Witcher series. No remake, let it stay in the past and onward to the future.

I noticed this, 2/3 lack it's atmosphere. Probably the best thing it has going for it. It almost post-apocalyptic in tone. Well.. it is. That's the plot-line.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Nah, make new games, not cheap cash grabs.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

If it was a complete remake maybe but it would be tough to recreate that atmosphere 3 had.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15564 Posts

I would just prefer they work on new projects. Witcher 1 is the shittiest of their games by a wide margin. Horrible, boring gameplay with obtuse mechanics, juvenile story elements, ugly graphics. You'd have to do a ground up remake to fix a lot of what's bad, and at that point you might as well just make something else entirely.

If they want to outsource it to a smaller company to uprez and fix the horrible mechanics, that might be fine, but I don't want them spending their own time and effort on it.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#19 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

I'm not really a fan of the tired old Tolkien medieval fantasy setting. I'm glad CDPR is moving away from that setting, and moving on to a cyberpunk setting, which I've always been a fan of (ever since I saw Akira as a kid). Cyberpunk 2077 is the first CDPR game I'm actually quite looking forward to. I'd rather they not go back to a boring Tolkien medieval fantasy setting.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Jag85 said:

I'm not really a fan of the tired old Tolkien medieval fantasy setting. I'm glad CDPR is moving away from that setting, and moving on to a cyberpunk setting, which I've always been a fan of (ever since I saw Akira as a kid). Cyberpunk 2077 is the first CDPR game I'm actually quite looking forward to. I'd rather they not go back to a boring Tolkien medieval fantasy setting.

I completely understand this sentiment and it's true, it's been done to death.

However, I do think CDP do an extremely good job, (basically) purely through style of distinguishing themselves from the usual rabble.

There's a confidence and dedication that shines through even in admittedly really broken and flawed games like the original Witcher, that somehow, through all it's bullshit endears itself.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

No. It was an okay game for its time and it looked good but it has aged badly and the content was never anything to write home about.

It was a groundbreaking game at the time when everyone wasn't doing the same thing like they are now, but a remake for a game that really didn't have much substance to start with seems pointless.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#22  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

The game is what it is. Leave it be. No need for all these remakes.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 uninspiredcup

@BassMan said:

If a game is massively flawed, but shows potential, and the developer is now in a privileged position for a reset, isn't that the perfect justification for a remake? Over something that was perfectly good to begin with?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#24  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@BassMan said:

If a game is massively flawed, but shows potential, and the developer is now in a privileged position for a reset, isn't that the perfect justification for a remake? Over something that was perfectly good to begin with?

I would rather they keep evolving as a developer and work on other stuff. The game being flawed is part of their history. No shame in it. They have come a long way.

Besides, they released the Enhanced Edition back in the day already to polish up the original game.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Yeah remake it but The Witcher 3 style.

@BassMan said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@BassMan said:

I would rather they keep evolving as a developer and work on other stuff. The game being flawed is part of their history. No shame in it. They have come a long way.

Besides, they released the Enhanced Edition back in the day already to polish up the original game.

I agree for the most part, but sometimes different parts of the development team finish their work and can be tasked to other areas, or maybe a remake wouldn't take that long, or maybe it's a passion project of the lead. Any number of things could justify it, or at least support it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@Jag85 said:

I understand the whole Tolkien thing and getting tired of it (Hey look an elvish archer, a human ranger with a beard, an old man mage, and a stealthy female rogue, look at us!), but honestly I think the Witcher series does it the right way because it's almost like horror. It's like if John Carpenter did fantasy.

Plus, there's all this real-world stuff going on like murder mysteries, theiving, and it's almost like an accurate depiction of the dark ages of humanity...only with horror-fantasy. And they don't overdo the magic, either, imo. There's like a handful of mages and they're uber powerful, but it's not like there's mages and rogues and basic fantasy archetypes.

Elves and dwarves are treated like a subhuman ethnic groups, so there's that whole racism thing go on.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

I'd be all for it. The first one has an awesome story with tons of branching paths. I would also love if they incorporated updated combat into it. Each game they improve the combat by a ton, so I have a guess that if they did this, it would be a lot better.

That being said, I'd rather play Cyberpunk at the moment. After Cyberpunk, then they can remake Witcher 1. Lol

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#28  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@mrbojangles25: @uninspiredcup: That's the power of good writing. Even the most dull settings can be engaging if they're well-written. That's what distinguishes the likes of, say, Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, Witcher, and the manga Berserk, from the usual generic medieval dark-fantasy trash.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

yes they should.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Would be cool if after CP comes out and they have some down time for them to release a Witcher collection for next gen systems. Fix up the first 2 a bit and call it a day.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

CD Projeck is too busy making new games and cyberpunk 2077, right now, needs its full attention for a couple of years, Their schedule is full and they are probably in the pre-production stage Witcher 4. Probably

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I don't think it would be a good idea. The gameplay is very dated (even at the time of release the game felt dated) and if they wanted to make it look on par with The Witcher 3 they would have to essentially remake the game in the new engine and re-do all the assets.

What made the original witcher game worth playing still hold to this day. Even though the graphics are dated the game still has some beautiful locations, and the story is quite interesting as well as some of the characters. I'd prefer CDPR give The Witcher IP a rest for awhile.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

It still plays fine for me, but if it gets more people playing it, why not?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#34  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

No I think the studio should look forward and not back.

I think a remake would be very tough to do for that game. It wouldn't play into their strengths. No I think they should leave it alone and focus on improving ever more as designers.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11257 Posts

Nah no need. They'll probably make a trilogy out of Cyber Punk 2077.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

The only way they should do it if it's a complete remake.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#37 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

Nah. I played them all on PC and enjoyed them. I like them doing new things and Cyberpunk is my most anticipated.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

They would mess it up. They aren't the same anymore.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#39  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I doubt they ever would remake it. But if they did I'd probably play it... i played it back at its release but I didn't like the combat and had a lot of crashes.

Never tried to replay it because I still remember how buggy it was... a remake would probably be the only way I'd replay it.

It's aged horribly, I'm not sure how many people can actually play it and say its fun... it's gameplay felt pretty bad even back when it was released.