Should Bugs/Glitches count towards a game's score/assessment?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Should it?

I ask because quite a few people on the fourms/critics in general, hit hard or not hard enough on games and the glitches/bugs in them. However, should they really? Should a game's score/assessment be affected by the glitches/bugs that the personexperienced in the game as glitches and bugs can vary greatly from playthrough to playthrough?

For me, I don't think the score of a game should really be affected by the glitches/bugs in that game; glitches and bugs are just to random and vary to much from one playthrough to another. For instances: Glitches and bugs are practically a staple of Bethesda games; there's an immediate correlation between Bethesda games and bugs/glitches. Truth be told, I don't get it. I've played four hundreds of hours in both Morrowind and Oblivion and saw about three or four game glitches and none of which were at all detrimental to the game in anyway shape or form except for just being very silly and cosmetic. I have, however,experienced several weird saved game problems in Morrowind but I think that's just due to the overabundance of saves I have in that game. Otherwise, these games have really just been glitch free for me; I've seen the glitches online but never experienced them for myself.

Even if these glitches do exist for others it doesn't seem right for me to take down points or my overall enjoyment of these games simply because others have been having issues. That's like saying I order pizza and when I get it my next door neighbor also gets pizza but he haspepperonis on his pizza and I hatepepperonis so I instantly hate my pizza...except it doesn't have pepperonis; his does! Even in the overall assessment of the game I don't think it should really affect one's outlook on a game, sure a game may have been coated top to bottom in bugs and glitches but if you still had fun who gives a $#!+? The gameplay was great and whatnot along with everything else so who cares if the game bugged frequently? Also, don't limit this to just Bethesda's games; New Vegas was crap on consoles but people still put the game higher than Fallout 3 even though the glitches from what I heard were worse than that of say Skyrim (Xbox and PC not PS3, PS3 was a little bit...buggier).

So what do you think? For critics and gamers alike, should bugs and glitches count towards a game's score/assessment or should they not?

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

If the bugs and glitches affect your enjoyment of the game the game assesement should be harsher.

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

Yes.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Absolutely.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts
If they get in the way of gameplay, sure.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Yes, and that is why Dead Island should have been severly duct points for their game breaking bug that corrupted a great deal of people save data..
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#7 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
For sure, and that's one reason why reviews can be different. If people have a buggy experience then they need to say so. So readers get an overall view of how buggy the game is. Some people are more tolerant of bugs so it's probably best to give examples. Still it's important to mention if there are noticeable problems.
Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Peredith
Member since 2011 • 2289 Posts

Yes. Some of the glitches in Skyrim are the equivelent of the director of a movie stumbling on set before apologizing and carrying on filming.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Yes, when they are obvious or game breaking.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
Yes, and that is why Dead Island should have been severly duct points for their game breaking bug that corrupted a great deal of people save data..ArisShadows
Yea but a reviewer can't hold something against a game that they haven't experienced.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

They usually do get knocked for it unless Bethesda developed the game.

Fallout 3 (Bethesda) , buggy as hell, gets a 9.0 on GS

Fallout: New Vegas (Obsidian), buggy as hell, but also better than Fallout 3 in nearly every regard, gets a 7.5 (on consolols at least)

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
Depends on whether it's the sort of game that will be receiving continual patches and updates, or whether it's meant to be a complete product.
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
[QUOTE="ArisShadows"]Yes, and that is why Dead Island should have been severly duct points for their game breaking bug that corrupted a great deal of people save data..mems_1224
Yea but a reviewer can't hold something against a game that they haven't experienced.

True, but how many a reviewer has turned a blind eye to a major glitch on the basis that not everyone will experience it?
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#14 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

it really does depend on the Bugs and Glitches.

If it breaks the game where it's unplayable and not fun, it should be docked down for the game.

If it's actually a pretty funny and awesome exploitable glitch or bug, then it's not a bug it's a feature and should be honored as part of the game.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15580 Posts

The answer seems obvious. Yes, glitches matters. If a game is full of bugs, it's score should be docked. If a game is clean and nearly bug free, it should be praised. Whether the game sucks or not matters as well, naturally, and an amazing or horrible base experience can allow bugs to be overlooked.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
Oh hell yes. If I write buggy code and don't fix it before it goes to production, it's coming up in my annual review. Why should it be any different for them?
PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

The only thing that shouldn't hurt a games score imo is not having online multiplayer. If a dev team decides not to have online play. Reviews shouldn't take away score points. Because devs end up adding online play to there game which then turns out terrible and gets a bad score anyway.

If a game wants to be SP you shouldn't dock points for not having online.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Yes.

If the game is a "broken mess" in it's current state, it should be clearly stated so in the review and impact the score as well.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

yes and for this reason almost all bethesda games should have much lower scores and their GOTY titles stripped from them.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
Yes. They effect the game and the enjoyment.
sora16perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sora16perfect
Member since 2007 • 730 Posts
They already do, you know, unless its a Bethesda game.
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Just as everyone is saying, if they affect the gameplay, the bugs and glitches should definately negatively impact a review score.

Skyrim for example should never have scored a 9 on PS3 but it probably (arguably) deserved it on PC, where the bugs didn't really affect the game. The only two major bugs I encountered was the uncoloured dragons, which only made them easier to see and dead things getting sent into orbit with the death blow, which was sometimes quite entertaining.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts
Depends on severity, frequency and other circumstances, but in general, yes. They're judging the games based on their actual experience, not some theoretical playthrough that best exemplifies the average.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Should they count? Yes. Do they count? No. How else would Skyrim have won GOTY? If they counted, then Skyrim wouldn't have won, but it did, so clearly they don't count.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mems_1224
Should they count? Yes. Do they count? No. How else would Skyrim have won GOTY? If they counted, then Skyrim wouldn't have won, but it did, so clearly they don't count.AmazonTreeBoa
Because Skyrim is so good that even all the little bugs don't take away from the amazing experience. Skyrim didn't have any game breaking bugs unless you got it on PS3 which no one should ever do anyways. All the little bugs and glitches it had are to be expected in an open world game, especially one with so many things going on like in Skyrim.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

If the bugs and glitches affect your enjoyment of the game the game assesement should be harsher.

super600

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Should they count? Yes. Do they count? No. How else would Skyrim have won GOTY? If they counted, then Skyrim wouldn't have won, but it did, so clearly they don't count.mems_1224
Because Skyrim is so good that even all the little bugs don't take away from the amazing experience. Skyrim didn't have any game breaking bugs unless you got it on PS3 which no one should ever do anyways. All the little bugs and glitches it had are to be expected in an open world game, especially one with so many things going on like in Skyrim.

Surprise suprise. Somebody in SW trying to make excuses. :roll: Nothing new here.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mems_1224
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Should they count? Yes. Do they count? No. How else would Skyrim have won GOTY? If they counted, then Skyrim wouldn't have won, but it did, so clearly they don't count.AmazonTreeBoa

Surprise suprise. Somebody in SW trying to make excuses. :roll: Nothing new here.

No game is bug free, especially open world games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Depends on whether it's the sort of game that will be receiving continual patches and updates, or whether it's meant to be a complete product.Tylendal
Reviewers should review the builds companies deem complete enough to put out on the market and/or send reviewers to review, based on the quality of said build. Not gloss over flaws based on the vague premise that some day they might potentially get addressed. That's real poor practice.

Speaking of which, hahaha!

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Part of playing the game is to actually play the games instead of running into technical issues.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Skyrim had game breaking bugs on PS3..mems_1224
And those shouldn't count because why? There's no defense for glossing over that. beyond perhaps if critics managed to not get exposed to whatever bugs it was that version had that made it become this prolific example.

Which version(s) the person has actually played should be clarified in the review. If you've only played one version it stands to reason that you shouldn't be handing out scores to other versions. Assuming they're all more or less the same does a disservice to your readers when they're not.

Part of playing the game is to actually play the games instead of running into technical issues.dramaybaz

What does this mean?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mems_1224

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]Skyrim had game breaking bugs on PS3..McStrongfast

And those shouldn't count because why? There's no defense for glossing over that. beyond perhaps if critics managed to not get exposed to whatever bugs it was that version had that made it become this prolific example.

Which version(s) the person has actually played should be clarified in the review. If you've only played one version it stands to reason that you shouldn't be handing out scores to other versions. Assuming they're all more or less the same does a disservice to your readers when they're not.

Part of playing the game is to actually play the games instead of running into technical issues.dramaybaz

What does this mean?

They can only do so much. Clearly they were limited in what they could do because of the hardware. Bethesda should have just not released it on PS3 at all. Most reviewers say what version they played and most review copies that websites get are going to be on 360 or PC. Seeing as how the PS3 problems showed up after dozens of hours playing you can't expect reviewers to put 100 hours into each platform.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22754 Posts

I used to think no, based on it being the bottom rung of nitpicking... No game is perfect and no game should be judged based on silly and arbitrary glitches and bugs... Then I played Fallout New Vegas, which at launch was so badly executed, it destroyed the immersion and enjoyment of the game. To that, I have an issue and feel like it should be accounted for in a game review... Remember that a review is designed to inform a gamer of ALL aspects of a games quality and while I feel that many games have been way to harshley criticized for bugs that didnt detract from a games overall experience, I am glad that they are pointed out to warn us of those that do.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#34 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41558 Posts
If it hinders your experience, hell yeah. That being said, there are several glitches that don't.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

definetely, and for the next elder scrolls they review they should reflect that.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Of course. The big reason I got rid of Conduit 2 was because of all the damn glitches. Such an unfinished game.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#37 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Absolutely.

Skyrim should have been given a 5 until it was fixed.

Ps3 version is still a 5.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

[QUOTE="McStrongfast"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]Skyrim had game breaking bugs on PS3..mems_1224

They can only do so much. Clearly they were limited in what they could do because of the hardware. Bethesda should have just not released it on PS3 at all. Most reviewers say what version they played and most review copies that websites get are going to be on 360 or PC. Seeing as how the PS3 problems showed up after dozens of hours playing you can't expect reviewers to put 100 hours into each platform.

Why a game turned out buggy doesn't really matter.

The PS3 version is widely considered to be tangibly worse than the others, reviews and scores don't reflect this. This is critics failing. If you haven't put the time in then don't put a score on it, don't review it. You may get away with it 99% of the time, but every 100th review you'll look like a right ass.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#39 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Yes. If a game has issues or is broken etc....then the reviews should relfect them in the score and warn consumers not to buy it until it get's fixed.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mems_1224

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="McStrongfast"] And those shouldn't count because why? There's no defense for glossing over that. beyond perhaps if critics managed to not get exposed to whatever bugs it was that version had that made it become this prolific example.

McStrongfast

The PS3 version is widely considered to be tangibly worse than the others, reviews and scores don't reflect this. This is critics failing. If you haven't put the time in then don't put a score on it, don't review it. You may get away with it 99% of the time, but every 100th review you'll look like a right ass.

Like I said, you can't expect reviewers to put 100s of hours into 3 different versions of the same game.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Yes because a buggy piece of crap should not be tolerated for a game I'm paying premium for and I shouldn't have to friggin patch this piece of garbage every month to get it to work properly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

[QUOTE="McStrongfast"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] They can only do so much. Clearly they were limited in what they could do because of the hardware. Bethesda should have just not released it on PS3 at all. Most reviewers say what version they played and most review copies that websites get are going to be on 360 or PC. Seeing as how the PS3 problems showed up after dozens of hours playing you can't expect reviewers to put 100 hours into each platform.mems_1224

Like I said, you can't expect reviewers to put 100s of hours into 3 different versions of the same game.

I'm not.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts
Yes, and they should be sure they aren't reviewing the game under day one patches. What you ship on the disc is what should be reviewed.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

super600
that's it, pretty much. if they're so often, and so harmful, that they get in the way of fun, then they, well, get in the way of fun, duh. and if they get in the way of fun, then it's a negative.