Shenmue 3 needs "$10 million" to be "truly open world"

• 183 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45049 Posts

http://gearnuke.com/yu-suzuki-shenmue-3-ks-10-million-will-truly-open-world-talks-forklift/

According to Yu Suzuki, if Shenmue 3 Kickstarter reaches 5 million goal, it will allow him to add one of the things that he really wants to do for Shenmue 3. At $10 million, it will be truly an open world game.

I will say this: if we reach the $5 mil mark, one of the things I really want to do with Shenmue 3 will become a reality.

At $10 million, it will truly have the features of an open world.

What do you think, SW? Do you think it can happen? The funding has slowed down significantly since it hit the $2 million mark. Still, 27 more days to go. I think it's certainly possible. Have you donated? I may do so..

here is the kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

The lack of PS4 physical copies is my one hang up on giving to this.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Can't wait for it to come out and be mediocre.

JopaGeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JopaGeri
Member since 2004 • 538 Posts

Hoping Sony see's that fans really want this to happen and put's money into it.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@darkspineslayer said:

That's the very reason I'm avoiding it. Also 10 million to be open world, they hit 10 million then they say to be really PROPERLY open world with next gen graphics we need 20 million honestly Kickstarter games don't even attempt to hide the greed from the devs.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[My post was dumb and Jag85 corrected me]

Would Shenmue games even benefit from open world feature? Need to play them now but aren't they very story driven? Which tends not to go well with open world

[if I'm showing ignorance of the series it's because I still need to play it]

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

looking at what he did with Shenmue in 1999 having the whole citry to explore with inside building detailed and everything, when he says "open world" he is probably crazy enough to actually attempt it. Not saying he'd actually succeed but...

WeepsForFools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WeepsForFools
Member since 2012 • 793 Posts

"pay for a game to be made, then pay for it again when it comes out"

nope

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Batt1eRatt1e
Member since 2014 • 131 Posts

@darkspineslayer: The lack of a physical copy is a big excuse so many people are using. It's time to get over that. Nothing says the game will not get a physical release, but the KS is not for that at this time. A measly $29 gets you the full game digitally when it's done.

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Batt1eRatt1e

@WeepsForFools: You do know you get rewards right? Almost every single tier comes with the game digitally. Name in credits? Yes please!

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chessmaster1989
@WeepsForFools said:

nope

Kickstarting is basically paying for a copy of the game in advance (like pre-ordering before the game is made, or while it's in early stages). Typically you "donate" in a tier that has rewards that include the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

@WeepsForFools said:

nope

Um.. Who actually said that? Cause it's false, you get the game when you pledge.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Shenmue in open world?

It's called sleeping dogs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

@blueinheaven said:
@darkspineslayer said:

That's the very reason I'm avoiding it. Also 10 million to be open world, they hit 10 million then they say to be really PROPERLY open world with next gen graphics we need 20 million honestly Kickstarter games don't even attempt to hide the greed from the devs.

You realize Shenmue 1 cost 70 million to make right? There is no greed here. That is a realistic sum of money for reasonably well sized game.

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Batt1eRatt1e

Any skeptical gamer needs to watch this YT video and get their head out their behinds concerning the Shenmue 3 funding. Stop reading false clickbait articles. https://youtu.be/Idw_IQx2L0g

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

I hope it makes it to that point, that is what Yu was trying to do back with the first and second game but it just wasn't technologically feasible at the time, now it is and I really hope it makes it there.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blueinheaven

@batt1eratt1e said:

@darkspineslayer: The lack of a physical copy is a big excuse so many people are using. It's time to get over that. Nothing says the game will not get a physical release, but the KS is not for that at this time. A measly $29 gets you the full game digitally when it's done.

Get over yourself. Some of us want physical copies and as it stands that is not an option so they can respectfully stick their cheap download up their ass.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NyaDC

I hope it makes it to that point, that is what Yu was trying to do back with the first and second game but it just wasn't technologically feasible at the time, now it is and I really hope it makes it there.

@blueinheaven said:
@batt1eratt1e said:

Get over yourself. Some of us want physical copies and as it stands that is not an option so they can respectfully stick their cheap download up their ass.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44532 Posts

Sony will pick up the tab, I'm sure they're secretly funding most the Kickstarter as is.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blueinheaven

@Crossel777 said:
@blueinheaven said:
@darkspineslayer said:

You realize Shenmue 1 cost 70 million to make right? There is no greed here. That is a realistic sum of money for reasonably well sized game.

My gripe is with the way they go about getting the money they need. Give us 10k you get the game and an autograph from some dude and a nice little book that cost us 50 dollars to make.

It used to be that publishers who believed in a game would fund it and the devs would make it and if the game was good all parties were rewarded. Now we have devs begging for huge sums of money on Kickstarter with various 'rewards' trying to convince people to throw money at them.

It's cheap and exploitative but now is 'a thing' so people have just come to accept it.

We don't owe them a living and they need to stop begging.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58821 Posts

An incredibly seedy kickstarter.

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Batt1eRatt1e

@blueinheaven: Nothing to get over. The KS is not covering the physical release of the game at this time. I want a physical copy too, so do many others if you read actual comments on the KS or Shenmue fan pages, but that's not stopping pledges. I'm not going to pull my pledge solely because there may not be a physical release. Who knows there might be, we don't know right now. I as many others do, feel this is a piss poor excuse not to pledge. To each his own I guess.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Sony will pick up the tab, I'm sure they're secretly funding most the Kickstarter as is.

I'm thinking the same thing. This seems to be the generation of Open world transitions, even Horizon zero dawn which I thought for sure wasn't is apparently entirely open world.

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Batt1eRatt1e

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@lamprey263 said:

I'm thinking the same thing. This seems to be the generation of Open world transitions, even Horizon zero dawn which I thought for sure wasn't is apparently entirely open world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idw_IQx2L0g

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@blueinheaven said:
@batt1eratt1e said:

because it saves money? kickstarting projects dont ahve that luxury?>

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

If Yu Suzuki manages to get the $10 million needed to fully fund Shenmue 3, and then the game sells say... 300,000-400,000 copies @ $60/ea across PS4 and PC, would he be able to fund Shenmue 4 without crowd funding?

His vision would take 4-5 games (his words) so we know we aren't getting an ending with the third installment. Then I have to wonder if Shenmue 4 would even be on PS4 at that point?

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Batt1eRatt1e

For all those who keep thinking Sony is funding a ton of money...

Yu Suzuki: I expect individual backers to provide the majority of funds for Shenmue

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1067382

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blueinheaven

@MBirdy88 said:
@blueinheaven said:
@batt1eratt1e said:

Who cares about saving them money? Other Kickstarter campaigns offered physical copies right from the start. Instead we get give us 10 million to make an open world and PS4 owners please be happy we have physical copies for PC. Fucking PC. Shenmue? Okay.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

LOL. Meanwhile Halo 5's DLC will cost more than that. But my all means..... Save Shitmue

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@blueinheaven said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@blueinheaven said:
@batt1eratt1e said:

Who cares about saving them money? Other Kickstarter campaigns offered physical copies right from the start. Instead we get give us 10 million to make an open world and PS4 owners please be happy we have physical copies for PC. Fucking PC. Shenmue? Okay.

Wait? wut? hah ok that is abit backwards. maybe because it would be dvd not blu ray on PC ... oh well :S

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 chessmaster1989
@blueinheaven said:
@Crossel777 said:
@blueinheaven said:
@darkspineslayer said:

My gripe is with the way they go about getting the money they need. Give us 10k you get the game and an autograph from some dude and a nice little book that cost us 50 dollars to make.

It used to be that publishers who believed in a game would fund it and the devs would make it and if the game was good all parties were rewarded. Now we have devs begging for huge sums of money on Kickstarter with various 'rewards' trying to convince people to throw money at them.

It's cheap and exploitative but now is 'a thing' so people have just come to accept it.

It's not begging, you're really missing the point of Kickstarter. It's a different form of financing (or investment). If a developer doesn't have enough money to make a game, they either have to find an investor (a company like Sony) to fund in, or they have to find some other form of financing. If companies aren't willing to finance (or fully finance) a game because it's seen as too risky, you can try selling it directly to consumers. It's basically saying, look we have this great idea for a game, but we need funding, so if you'll buy copies now (possibly with other rewards) we'll be able to make the game. So if a "traditional" investor isn't willing to finance the game, the developer has to go directly to the customers. That's all that Kickstarter is doing.

Calling it begging is beyond stupid.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NyaDC
@Telekill said:

If Yu Suzuki manages to get the $10 million needed to fully fund Shenmue 3, and then the game sells say... 300,000-400,000 copies @ $60/ea across PS4 and PC, would he be able to fund Shenmue 4 without crowd funding?

His vision would take 4-5 games (his words) so we know we aren't getting an ending with the third installment. Then I have to wonder if Shenmue 4 would even be on PS4 at that point?

This is going to be the last game, there is absolutely no way he would attempt to extend this further, it has to end with 3 or else we'll go through all of this again waiting for Shenmue 4, it end with this game.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#33  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19493 Posts
@chessmaster1989 said:

Would Shenmue games even benefit from open world feature? Need to play them now but aren't they very story driven? Which tends not to go well with open world

Shenmue was always open world from the beginning, If anything, Shenmue was one of the games that laid the foundations for modern open-world design, years before GTA3 came along. But despite many open-world games having come out since then, Shenmue's approach to open-world design is still quite unique to this day (and helps enhance the storytelling, if anything). You should give it a try.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@nyadc: I was hoping to get my ending with this game but the impression I got from the Reddit interview yesterday was that Suzuki is going to try and complete the story the way he had intended all those years ago; 11 chapters spamming 4-5 games.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

not every game should be open world. id rather have a focused game than a large one.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 chessmaster1989
@Jag85 said:
@chessmaster1989 said:

Shenmue was always open world from the beginning, If anything, Shenmue was one of the games that laid the foundations for modern open-world design, years before GTA3 came along. But despite many open-world games having come out since then, Shenmue's approach to open-world design is still quite unique to this day (and helps enhance the storytelling, if anything). You should give it a try.

Ah thanks for correcting me. And I actually just bought the game so I'm going to start it soon.

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Batt1eRatt1e

@Jag85: Before GTA there was Shenmue. It's a pioneer and innovator of open world games.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NyaDC
@Telekill said:

@nyadc: I was hoping to get my ending with this game but the impression I got from the Reddit interview yesterday was that Suzuki is going to try and complete the story the way he had intended all those years ago; 11 chapters spamming 4-5 games.

There's no way, he could cram those chapters into this game, and he needs to, as a duty to his fans he's obligated. If he does this to us again and ends with a cliffhanger on a game that is yet again unlikely to get a 4th entry, well then **** him... Seriously, he needs to put it all into this and let that be the end of it.

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Batt1eRatt1e

@nyadc: I have a feeling us fans will STILL want more Shenmue, which is why 1&2 HD need to happen.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@darkspineslayer said:

I'm with you as a collector I hope they do a physical release. I own Shenmue 1 & 2 hardcopies which I preserved over the ages.

For Shenmue 3, it would be rather unfortunate if I couldn't do the same thing in getting a physical copy for the ages.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By blueinheaven

@chessmaster1989 said:
@blueinheaven said:
@Crossel777 said:
@blueinheaven said:
@darkspineslayer said:

It's not begging, you're really missing the point of Kickstarter. It's a different form of financing (or investment). If a developer doesn't have enough money to make a game, they either have to find an investor (a company like Sony) to fund in, or they have to find some other form of financing. If companies aren't willing to finance (or fully finance) a game because it's seen as too risky, you can try selling it directly to consumers. It's basically saying, look we have this great idea for a game, but we need funding, so if you'll buy copies now (possibly with other rewards) we'll be able to make the game. So if a "traditional" investor isn't willing to finance the game, the developer has to go directly to the customers. That's all that Kickstarter is doing.

Calling it begging is beyond stupid.

If they said okay everyone give us let's say 45 dollars each to get this thing started and people backed them up I would say yes that's the spirit of Kickstarter let's get this game on the road.

When I see things like give us thousands of dollars and you get to have dinner with some clown from the dev team I say no, that's pretty close to extortion and yes it absolutely IS begging. They're not saying pay for our product they're saying hmmm how many ways can we devise to skin you for every cent you've got.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#42 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: i just hope people get the game they want, i just can't back kickstarter projects

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@WeepsForFools said:

nope

If you donate $29 and up you will get the game (PS4 or PC) as a gift when it comes out, so you are not paying for double!

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Batt1eRatt1e

@blueinheaven: No one is forcing them to pay $10,000. You apparently don't know who Yu Suzuki is. He's not just some clown from the dev team, he's the mastermind behind Shenmue and many other games. He's been in the gaming scene for a very long time and is very respected. I can tell you don't know much about what's going on. You don't realize how much of a following Shenmue truly has and unless you were involved on Shenmue 500K FB page for example, you wouldn't know. People have gotten tattoo's of Shenmue, like full sleeves. There are rewards for different amounts to pledge, that how KS works. I pledged $100 because I liked what came with that package.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blueinheaven

@batt1eratt1e said:

@blueinheaven: No one is forcing them to pay $10,000. You apparently don't know who Yu Suzuki is. He's not just some clown from the dev team, he's the mastermind behind Shenmue and many other games. He's been in the gaming scene for a very long time and is very respected. I can tell you don't know much about what's going on. You don't realize how much of a following Shenmue truly has and unless you were involved on Shenmue 500K FB page for example, you wouldn't know. People have gotten tattoo's of Shenmue, like full sleeves. There are rewards for different amounts to pledge, that how KS works. I pledged $100 because I liked what came with that package.

I don't care who Yu Suzuki is. I don't care how many people have tattoos of Shenmue and won't repeat my opinion on here of their 'achievement' or I will get banned.

**** your 'rewards' nobody should be paying more than 60 dollars up front for a game that may well turn out to suck donkey balls on release. It really is that simple, no amount of body paint will change that.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45049 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

LOL. Meanwhile Halo 5's DLC will cost more than that. But my all means..... Save Shitmue

so you're saying halo 5 needed a ton more money to make it somewhat decent?

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Batt1eRatt1e

@blueinheaven: That's your opinion. If you feel no one should ever need to donate more than $60 to a cause, that's your opinion. No one is forcing anyone to choose higher tiers. It's a choice. I'd love to see a series you love be resurrected 14 years later and see if you stick to your $60 max pledge theory. Don't donate. It's that simple.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

http://gearnuke.com/yu-suzuki-shenmue-3-ks-10-million-will-truly-open-world-talks-forklift/

According to Yu Suzuki, if Shenmue 3 Kickstarter reaches 5 million goal, it will allow him to add one of the things that he really wants to do for Shenmue 3. At $10 million, it will be truly an open world game.

I will say this: if we reach the $5 mil mark, one of the things I really want to do with Shenmue 3 will become a reality.

At $10 million, it will truly have the features of an open world.

What do you think, SW? Do you think it can happen? The funding has slowed down significantly since it hit the $2 million mark. Still, 27 more days to go. I think it's certainly possible. Have you donated? I may do so..

here is the kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

i donated $160 and I might it up it to $300

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

perhaps they shouldn't have announced that Sony was going to fund them

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The fact that they set the goal so low was an incredibly bad move.

No way it's going to reach $10 million at this point. They should have considered putting the goal at 5-6 million.