onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 4090 Posts

Whether it is a shock or not, but GameSpot has posted its review on Shenmue 3 and gave it a surprising 5/10.

Link

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 52947 Posts

Update your title. :)

Not surprised. The game is going to be a 5 for some and a 9 for others. Fans of the series most likely will be very satisfied. However, for a modern game it definitely has a lot against. I see JRPGs falling victim to the same fate in the near future.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 8630 Posts

This game was a no go for me once I found out that Yu didn't use this game to close out the story. Everyone who's not suffering from a massive head wound knows that Shenmue 4 isn't happening. Even if the game is archaic in the modern age, it's grossly obstinate to leave this open-ended for the people that gave a damn about it.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 13421 Posts

Another crowd-funded masterpiece.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 7858 Posts

@SOedipus said:

Another crowd-funded masterpiece.

with a side of big Epic money.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 46463 Posts

And he expects a gazillion sequels.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 16854 Posts

Ouch. That's too bad. But it did look a bit rough from the previews.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 18488 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

the story will never be complete. plus its perfect example of why games should not be crowd funding.

what i like about previous 2 were they were too ambitious. shops open and close in times.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 58876 Posts

Ouch. That does suck for long-time fans. Apparently this gives zero closure, which I think is just gonna burn down any attempts to launch a fourth instalment.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

the story will never be complete. plus its perfect example of why games should not be crowd funding.

what i like about previous 2 were they were too ambitious. shops open and close in times.

I don't think that's the case at all. There are plenty of crowdfunded success stories.

Just a few bad apples give the entire concept a bad rep.

Look at Homeworld 3, fucking Gearbox asking for backer money, and probably going to get additional money on top of that from wall-gating it on Epic.

Absolute piss takers.

But you have other games like Divinity and Shantae that are runaway success stories, both companies in good health and continuing to produce great games of the IP people were interested in.

I don't think mr Yu Suzukjsihr had any ill-intent at all, just super, super misguided, which isn't a get out of jail pass for criticism, unfortunately.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I don't think that's the case at all. There are plenty of crowdfunded success stories.

Just a few bad apples give the entire concept a bad rep.

Look at Homeworld 3, fucking Gearbox asking for backer money, and probably going to get additional money on top of that from wall-gating it on Epic.

Absolute piss takers.

But you have other games like Divinity and Shantae that are runaway success stories, both companies in good health and continuing to produce great games of the IP people were interested in.

I don't think mr Yu Suzukjsihr had any ill-intent at all, just super, super misguided, which isn't a get out of jail pass for criticism, unfortunately.

divinity is top down cRPG. they dont require much budget.

shenmue was most expensive game of its time. nearly made sega go bankrupt and they stop supporting consoles and killed dreamcast. and this shenmue 3 is tiny budgeted indie game by crowd funding. thats the difference.

look at star citizen. it still no idea when it will release.

im not even expecting system shock remake to be good now. since its too big of game yet its crowd funding project.

kickstarter games wont ever work unless its sidescroll games or some top down cRPGs.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 37895 Posts

I think people wanted a conclusion to the story, not another sequel bait after 18 years...

Oh and also the game is crap

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:

I think people wanted a conclusion to the story, not another sequel bait after 18 years...

Oh and also the game is crap

yeah. i started with HD release and want to finish the story but it didnot happened.

sega wont fund shenmue 4 and yu suzuki might finish story on graphics novel.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Since when did Gamespots reviews count again?

Gamespots reviewers have no clue when it comes to reviewing games, want proof? well they gave Death Stranding a 9, I rest my case.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 uninspiredcup

@i_p_daily said:

Since when did Gamespots reviews count again?

Gamespots reviewers have no clue when it comes to reviewing games, want proof? well they gave Death Stranding a 9, I rest my case.

It brought people together. It's thematic and shit.

We live in a society.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 58876 Posts

@i_p_daily: I'm giving DS a fair shake, but I can't understand the 9. I'm still early, but in all fairness, hiking a fucking kilometre plus to talk to a hologram just isn't that enticing for me. Yes, you seem to attain vehicles later, as well as weapons, but the limits in movement whilst transporting your (sometimes overweight) package/s is just a huge drag. Plus the micro-management of things, like taking a piss, just... Take the piss.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@lundy86_4 said:

@i_p_daily: I'm giving DS a fair shake, but I can't understand the 9. I'm still early, but in all fairness, hiking a fucking kilometre plus to talk to a hologram just isn't that enticing for me. Yes, you seem to attain vehicles later, as well as weapons, but the limits in movement whilst transporting your (sometimes overweight) package/s is just a huge drag. Plus the micro-management of things, like taking a piss, just... Take the piss.

Didn't you read Kallie's review, it gave her hope in humanity, meanwhile the rest of us are looking for a bucket.

Besides haven't people build highways all over the place so you can just walk on solid ground the entire game?

When you think of it, its much like mods for the game where the community makes it better lol, but new genre, smh.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup: i dont know if death stranding make us cry or laugh...

No idea what kojima want to tell.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:

@uninspiredcup: i dont know if death stranding make us cry or laugh...

No idea what kojima want to tell.

Just imagine a 50+ year old Japanese man looking at himself in the mirror fapping while a bunch of people in the background dressed as clowns furiously clap.

Le art my friend, le, deep, deep art.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5412 Posts

After all this time some people see Shenmue 3, a highly anticipated game from a prophetic visionary, hyped to hell and back and are surprised that some reviewers think it's shit.

Not me. You see, I myself am also a prophetic visionary. I played the original game on the Dreamcast and saw in my great wisdom that it was poopy kaka and I did foretell that all future incarnations would suffer a similar fate.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 32597 Posts

I enjoy the game despite its faults. I think the love is there for the true fans.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 47456 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

I haven't completed Death Stranding due to Jedi Fallen Order & Pokemon Sword/Shield are taking my time and as for Kallie's review, this game is a 7/10 at best and if she had given that score, it wouldn't get that much bad reception. The game is indeed a chore, which is why it's hard to get back into the game now that the honeymoon phase is wearing off. Admire Kojima's new take but he went way too far for his own good.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 47456 Posts

I'm sure anyone wasn't expecting Shenmue 3 to be ground breaking and no one expected it to sell well. I'll get it on a sale but not in a hurry to play it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 16658 Posts

Meh. I think that a 5-6 is probably fair for non-fans. I haven't played 3 yet, but these games definitely aren't for everyone. I just finished #1 again last weekend on my Dreamcast and I'm excited to fire up 2 soon! I'll get to 3 soon enough and I'm looking forward to it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@xantufrog said:

Meh. I think that a 5-6 is probably fair for non-fans. I haven't played 3 yet, but these games definitely aren't for everyone. I just finished #1 again last weekend on my Dreamcast and I'm excited to fire up 2 soon! I'll get to 3 soon enough and I'm looking forward to it

So what you're saying that the person who reviewed it is not a fan therefore a 5 is justified? which means that if the person reviewing it is a fan scores it a 10 is also fair?

Where does impartiality come into it then???

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pedro

@i_p_daily said:

Where does impartiality come into it then???

That died over a decade ago.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 14

#27 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 38513 Posts

I stick by my Duke Nukem Forever comparison for this game.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 35594 Posts

Ouch. Anyway it’s not really something that I’d want to play even if it did score high. I thought the original game was ok back in the day but I don’t think I would want to play it again today and Shenmue 3 looked largely to keep much of that in tack, for better or worse.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@i_p_daily: every review is someone's opinion. Plus, these games have objective problems left and right - I can totally see a stronger argument for a lower score than a high one if it's supposed to inform "the masses".

I'm a fan - for me these games are gems. But I get it and don't think it should get a 9 just because it would get one from the eighty three of us who are, but who also don't care what the score is anyway because we already know it's our jam

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro

@xantufrog: On the topic of reviews, there is room for gaming to have more objective reviews than these fanboy drivel that has become the norm. Objective reviews can better assist gamers in deciding whether or not a game is for them. Too many reviews overlook the actually game and focus on how they feel or what other nostalgia nonsense they are spellbound to. The same for the people that fall on the other side, where everything is wrong with the game because they don't like experience.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xantufrog  Moderator

@Pedro: I agree. I used to really enjoy reading reviews. Not any more. Rarely do they tell me anything concrete about the game! I used to learn all about the mechanics, with examples of what works and how, and comparisons with past titles or control schemes of different platforms etc

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#32 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 352 Posts

Maybe they should have taken cues from other popular video games from the 7th gen to become more fresh and new. It's always amazing to see a popular game come back from several years with a amazing new beautiful look and gameplay. To see it innovate.

Shemnue 3 should have taken cues from Heavy Rain, Batman Arkham and Mass Effect or even the Yakuza video games.

But no, what you get is an indie game with plasticy characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Yikes. I remember when this was announced at E3. This went well...lmao.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@xantufrog said:

@i_p_daily: every review is someone's opinion. Plus, these games have objective problems left and right - I can totally see a stronger argument for a lower score than a high one if it's supposed to inform "the masses".

I'm a fan - for me these games are gems. But I get it and don't think it should get a 9 just because it would get one from the eighty three of us who are, but who also don't care what the score is anyway because we already know it's our jam

So how does a lower score inform the masses more than a higher one? that's makes no sense.

Yes of course a review is a personal opinion, but it must come from a neutral/impartial standpoint.

Reviews need to move away from scores, and just talk about the good, bad & ugly to these "masses" so then they can make and informed decision, most will look at the score and move along. Not having a score means one has to read the review to find out about the actual game. That and it will crush shitty sites like Metashitic which can only be a good thing.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 218

#35 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 15825 Posts

Many fans already predicted the game would get mediocre reviews from the gaming press. After all, it's a niche game, made by the fans, for the fans. If you enjoyed Shenmue I & II, then you'll likely enjoy it. But if you didn't enjoy Shenmue I & II, then it's unlikely Shenmue III will change your mind.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ghosts4ever

@i_p_daily said:
@xantufrog said:

So how does a lower score inform the masses more than a higher one? that's makes no sense.

Yes of course a review is a personal opinion, but it must come from a neutral/impartial standpoint.

Reviews need to move away from scores, and just talk about the good, bad & ugly to these "masses" so then they can make and informed decision, most will look at the score and move along. Not having a score means one has to read the review to find out about the actual game. That and it will crush shitty sites like Metashitic which can only be a good thing.

I like first 2 games but this one is just tiny indie game with plastic cardboard characters. and lack the ambitiousness of originals.

just play star wars. amazing game.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#37 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@lundy86_4 said:

Didn't you read Kallie's review, it gave her hope in humanity, meanwhile the rest of us are looking for a bucket.

Did not bother to read anything she writes. If Death Stranding gave her hope in humanity, then there is something not right in her brain lol. While Days Gone got a 5... and she made comments about why are all the freakers white... this all tells me not only is she far left brainwashed, but does not even review a game by how good it is. Her scores are based on art/social justice.

I name Gamespot reviews invalid.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 28504 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@Pedro: I agree. I used to really enjoy reading reviews. Not any more. Rarely do they tell me anything concrete about the game! I used to learn all about the mechanics, with examples of what works and how, and comparisons with past titles or control schemes of different platforms etc

Sigh. Same. I miss real reviews so much.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ghosts4ever

@KillzoneSnake said:
@i_p_daily said:
@lundy86_4 said:

Did not bother to read anything she writes. If Death Stranding gave her hope in humanity, then there is something not right in her brain lol. While Days Gone got a 5... and she made comments about why are all the freakers white... this all tells me not only is she far left brainwashed, but does not even review a game by how good it is. Her scores are based on art/social justice.

Im hoping kallie wont review Doom eternal...

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 10265 Posts

A real shame. Something people have wanted for a long time.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15142 Posts

If fan reception is good then I don't see an issue.

• Avg critic score - 70
  • Avg user score (also contains new comers) : 80

Not bad at all for an old school game on its initial launch. Minor issues will get fixed in coming months. Congrats to fans who waited so long for this. Hope it sells well, so next one comes out too. Feedback will make it even better.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

Give it a few days, it will surely be "adjusted" soon. ;-)

But honestly, this game doesn't need a review, outside of telling people whether or not it physically works. Fans know what they are getting into.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 8291 Posts

I'll very likely buy it if it ever gets sold on Steam to add to the collection. I was very happy with the game until the end which seemed rushed and I was disappointed when I realized id have to wait for Shenmue IIII and who knows how many sequels that may or may not ever get done to finish the damn thing.

I did enjoy it though, it's a proper sequel and starts right where Shenmue 2 left off. But I can see why someone wouldn't like it if they never played and liked the original games on DC or Xbox, the gameplay is very dated, I liked that about it though personally.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Litchie

@ghosts4ever said:
@KillzoneSnake said:
@i_p_daily said:
@lundy86_4 said:

"Why are all demons male? Still no Doom Slayeress? I somehow found the story hateful to jews and midgets. 5/10."

It would be preferable if Kallie didn't review anything ever.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 5355 Posts

I recently picked up the shenmue collection and enjoyed running through those again. Probably pick this up around Christmas. I still remember getting shenmue 1 for DC for Christmas and my family being amazed by the graphics.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@KillzoneSnake said:
@i_p_daily said:
@lundy86_4 said:

"Why are all demons male? Still no Doom Slayeress? I somehow found the story hateful to jews and midgets. 5/10."

It would be preferable if Kallie didn't review anything ever.

I missed Kevin. the best GS reviewer ever. GS need to hire these kind of professional reviewers.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Litchie
@ghosts4ever said:

I missed Kevin. the best GS reviewer ever. GS need to hire these kind of professional reviewers.

Yeah, Kevin V was good. Greg Kasavin was my man, though.

Dude covered everything you'd want to know before buying a game. He was awesome.

I don't think "professional reviewers" exist anymore. Any random moron is called a "professional reviewer" these days. All you need is to be hired by an ad-driven gaming website who thinks you'll pull in clicks for it. Doesn't matter how you pull in those clicks, as long as the website gets more ad money.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Yeah, Kevin V was good. Greg Kasavin was my man, though.

Dude covered everything you'd want to know before buying a game. He was awesome.

I don't think "professional reviewers" exist anymore. Any random moron is called a "professional reviewer" these days. All you need is to be hired by an ad-driven gaming website who thinks you'll pull in clicks for it. Doesn't matter how you pull in those clicks, as long as the website gets more ad money.

back in days there were 99% of times were 30 yo male reviewers. now its not the case sadly.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 xantufrog  Moderator

@ghosts4ever: dude, put a sock in it. The issue isn't that they're female, it's their priorities as well as those of the employer that hired them. You could definitely find a female "Van Ord" - we just didn't.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 38801 Posts

Hahahahah, the big E3 announcement da cows claimed ownage, what a stinker...

Poo cows. :P