Shenmue 3 Epic Games Store Exclusive deal

#201 Posted by lundy86_4 (53187 posts) -

The lack of refunding will seriously hurt them. There'll be an outcry online, and they get some severe backlash. Something tells me that the Epic money will cover the loss (in consumer betrayal) of not refunding...

#202 Posted by I_P_Daily (11818 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

The lack of refunding will seriously hurt them. There'll be an outcry online, and they get some severe backlash. Something tells me that the Epic money will cover the loss (in consumer betrayal) of not refunding...

Kickstarter, welcome to the wild west of gaming lol.

#203 Posted by lundy86_4 (53187 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

Yeah, it really does suck. It's one of the reasons I don't use KS.

#204 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1270 posts) -

Yikes, I feel bad for those who backed this game. Isn't this actually grounds for a lawsuit?

#205 Posted by I_P_Daily (11818 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:
@i_p_daily said:

Yeah, it really does suck. It's one of the reasons I don't use KS.

Being a hermit and not supporting Star Citizen, they might kick you out for that :P

#206 Edited by AcidTango (1672 posts) -

That was a dick move. Seriously screw Deep Silver, Ys Net, and Epic Games. PC gamers helped financed the game to come to Steam and then you screw them over big time. Kickstarter needs to do something because Epic Games keeps doing this all the time like they did with Phoenix Point. And same with Valve as well. They keep being used to promote these games on Steam, only to have them removed and moved to the Epic Game Store. Valve are being used by these companies and they should do something about this.

#207 Posted by xantufrog (11385 posts) -

@i_p_daily: yeah I got what I had coming I suppose. I have a hardline no-preorder, no day-one mentality, but I thought this was a good idea :-p

I got a confirmation about my PS4 version, though, so I think that worked.

#208 Posted by I_P_Daily (11818 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

@i_p_daily: yeah I got what I had coming I suppose. I have a hardline no-preorder, no day-one mentality, but I thought this was a good idea :-p

I got a confirmation about my PS4 version, though, so I think that worked.

I'm probably one of the biggest Shenmue fans here, had both on Dreamcast and re-bought them again on the X (something I never have done before) but Kickstarter is a wasteland and the devs can do whatever they want whenever they want.

Star Citizen is a prime example of this, as CE could fold tomorrow and literally nothing can be done.

Quick question, would you rather your money back or are you happy to get the PS4 version?

#209 Edited by xantufrog (11385 posts) -

@i_p_daily: I'd rather the PS4 version - I didn't back it out of charity, but to play the game at the end of the day. So as annoyed as I am, I don't want to deprive myself of this.

Nothing wrong with the PS4 version for me - I wanted the Steam version because I have the others there already and I would know (hopefully) that I could basically keep it for 20+ years (I won't have a PS4 that long, I'm certain, and who knows what the PS8 will be) if I ever want to replay again

#210 Posted by Jag85 (13497 posts) -

As a backer, I honestly couldn't care less about this Steam vs. Epic store war.

#211 Edited by lebanese_boy (15059 posts) -
@i_p_daily said:
@lundy86_4 said:

More like apocalyptic wasteland.

#212 Posted by verbalfilth (5013 posts) -

As a person who backed out of backing at the last minute.....I remain....unconcerned. Always planned to pick it up on PS4 anyway

#213 Posted by 2mrw (5863 posts) -

Can anyone explain why this is so bad?

I backed it for the PS4 version anyway, one of the perks of being a console gamer

The game is still coming to PC, right?

#214 Posted by uninspiredcup (33426 posts) -

@2mrw said:

Maybe try reading the thread than expecting people to re-type shit out again.

#215 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31020 posts) -

Ubisoft games aren't releasing on Steam anymore either.

Every day now, more and more games are moving away from steam. Sure, there are still hundreds releasing every day. But at my most optimistic I hope that Valve sees they can't just keep relying on selling other people's games and perhaps one day, will create another game themselves.

#216 Posted by 2mrw (5863 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@2mrw said:

are you a newbie?

Most posts are shit, just like you said, just like your post

#217 Edited by uninspiredcup (33426 posts) -

@2mrw said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@2mrw said:

are you a newbie?

Most posts are shit, just like you said, just like your post

Translation - I don't like getting called out

#218 Posted by PC_Rocks (2316 posts) -

@superfluousreal said:
@uninspiredcup said:

lol

Over 250 posts with "refund" in the post after Shenmue 3 got confirmed EGS exclusive

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2532170/comments

Awww it's cool to watch unevolved inferior people who cannot adapt to change, the first to lose in the battle of survival.

They invested in the project when Sony let alone Epic refused to fund, and the very reason the game is where it's today. Ys Net is backtracking on their promise of platform support, they had all the right to demand refund. Hell, they should get an interest with it as well. Should be a norm for projects purposefully screwing their backers.

#219 Posted by mojito1988 (3617 posts) -

Yikes that sucks lol.

#220 Posted by VagrantSnow (320 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Ubisoft games aren't releasing on Steam anymore either.

Every day now, more and more games are moving away from steam. Sure, there are still hundreds releasing every day. But at my most optimistic I hope that Valve sees they can't just keep relying on selling other people's games and perhaps one day, will create another game themselves.

It makes sense for first party publishers with their own platforms to focus on their own storefront. It makes sense for third party publishers to put their games on storefronts that reap the most royalties. What people have issue with is being told one thing, sold one thing and then suddenly being told it was all a lie and forced to either accept it or piss off (which in this case, isn't even being given an option here).

It is especially an issue when it comes to crowd funded games where backers funded the games on the promise of being given one thing years in advance only for the publisher to take that money and double dip with backroom deals such as what happened with Shenmue 3 and Phoenix Point.

#221 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31020 posts) -

@vagrantsnow said:

It makes sense for first party publishers with their own platforms to focus on their own storefront. It makes sense for third party publishers to put their games on storefronts that reap the most royalties. What people have issue with is being told one thing, sold one thing and then suddenly being told it was all a lie and forced to either accept it or piss off (which in this case, isn't even being given an option here).

It is especially an issue when it comes to crowd funded games where backers funded the games on the promise of being given one thing years in advance only for the publisher to take that money and double dip with backroom deals such as what happened with Shenmue 3 and Phoenix Point.

Nah, personally I'm fine with exclusive games being exclusive to their platform:

Ubisoft games on Uplay

Blizzard games on Battle.net

EA games on Origin

But when every company starts doing it, it just becomes a pain in the ass. I'm not fine with games being limited on one platform and making customers jump through hoops all for the sake of "But uhm yeah, so Epic gave us a bag of money"

Nah, **** that. I'm patient, I can wait a year, I can wait several years if need be.

#222 Posted by enzyme36 (4198 posts) -

This is really shitty for the backers not getting refunds. Make timed exculsives all you want... but dont sell something then take it away.

#223 Edited by uninspiredcup (33426 posts) -

Sorry we fucked you up the butt (reassuring smile)

‘Shenmue 3’ Developer Refuses To Refund Backers After Epic Games Store Switch

We saw a little more of Shenmue III during the PC Gaming Show at E3 2019 yesterday. It sure looks authentically Shenmue, and chances are that most people who loved the original games on the SEGA Dreamcast are now in full-on hype mode for this third title, which comes out for PlayStation 4 and PC on November 19. I know right, that's this year.

But eagle-eyed sorts watching the new trailer - which you can see below - spotted that it showed the Epic Games store logo at the end. Just that, and the PS4 logo. Uh oh.

Originally, backers of Shenmue III's successful crowdfunding campaign had the option to get the game via Steam, when it was completed. Now, I don't want to wade into the whole Steam versus Epic nonsense, as to me it's a total non-issue. But, some people who wanted the game on Steam were unhappy, and reached out to the game's developers, Ys Net, to ask about a refund.

However, the Shenmue III team, led by celebrated developer Yu Suzuki, has outright rejected any and all refund requests, reports Destructoid. The response sent to those asking for one reads as follows:

"Thank you very much for contacting us. The launch was previously planned for distribution on Steam, however it was decided together with [publishers] Deep Silver after much discussion that the Epic Games store would be the best distribution platform option.

Shenmue III will be distributed through the Epic Games store and will require the Epic Games store client to activate. We apologise for the sudden change in platform, however, refunds will not be granted for this change. We thank you for your support and look forward to delivering the Shenmue experience fans everywhere have been waiting so long for."

Deep Silver has since confirmed that Shenmue III will eventually be available on Steam, albeit not at launch in November, which is no doubt a factor in refund requests being turned down. Nevertheless, if I was them, I'd maybe have a forklift ready for a quick getaway.

#224 Posted by verbalfilth (5013 posts) -

Too late for a charge back huh? You may want to contact your credit card companies and see how far back they are willing to go if you feel very strongly about not using Epic's client.

#225 Posted by DaVillain- (36573 posts) -

@verbalfilth said:

Too late for a charge back huh? You may want to contact your credit card companies and see how far back they are willing to go if you feel very strongly about not using Epic's client.

All backers who got burned by this false advertising should be contacting their Lawyers now. They're gonna need them to hold these scumbags accountable through a class-action lawsuit.

#226 Edited by Ten_Pints (3799 posts) -

I'm finding all this funny at this point, the amount of Kickstarter projects ramming their backers because Epic gives them a truck load of cash.

Can't people file a complaint with Kickstarter? what's their official position on all this?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0a4c3876874
#227 Posted by deactivated-5d0a4c3876874 (180 posts) -

Sad for this game.

We won't get Shenmue 4 with this dick move that divided the fanbase of shenmue.

Shenmue fanbase was the only thing that kept this franchise alive from 2001-2015, now it's gone.

#228 Edited by Litchie (23893 posts) -

lol.

Always amazes me how little of a **** a company can give about their own fans. And in this case, kickstarters even. I was personally never gonna get the game anyway, but seriously. You kickstarters got fucked royally. Hopefully you'll do something about it.

Devs should start promoting their games with "not an Epic exclusive". That should bring them more money by now than whatever Epic is paying for the exclusivity.

#229 Edited by MirkoS77 (14142 posts) -

This feels to me like it'd hold very legitimate grounds for litigation on multiple fronts. Not only is it a bait and switch, then they're outright refusing to give the consumer a means of recourse. The feeling of contempt and disregard for gamers in this action who placed their good faith and trust into this company is incredibly palpable, and I hope they're taken to task for it. Just show me where to sign up.

I think at one point if this trend continues they're going to ruffle the feathers of someone they shouldn't have, and are going to be served.

#230 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36251 posts) -

For shame, Yu Suzuki, for shame...

#231 Edited by speedytimsi (957 posts) -

Hey i'm just glad i only backed the most basic tier on PS4 for $30 just to save 10 bucks + tax on launch. I was kinda skeptical of the whole $200 upgrade so i didn't backed that tier.

BTW the survey still has option for either the following as of today:

What digital version of Shenmue III would you like?

Steam or PS4 digital download.

#232 Edited by ZmanBarzel (1879 posts) -

I'm not sure which is more chuckle-worthy: that someone referred to the "Shenmue" series as a mega hit a few pages back, or that people are surprised when the sequel to a game that was money-hatted into becoming an exclusive is itself money-hatted into becoming an exclusive.

#233 Posted by VagrantSnow (320 posts) -

@ten_pints said:

I'm finding all this funny at this point, the amount of Kickstarter projects ramming their backers because Epic gives them a truck load of cash.

Can't people file a complaint with Kickstarter? what's their official position on all this?

Kickstarter says the project hasn't violated their terms of service.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#234 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29011 posts) -

Love you epic store. Keep doing you.

#235 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29011 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

This feels to me like it'd hold very legitimate grounds for litigation on multiple fronts. Not only is it a bait and switch, then they're outright refusing to give the consumer a means of recourse. The feeling of contempt and disregard for gamers in this action who placed their good faith and trust into this company is incredibly palpable, and I hope they're taken to task for it. Just show me where to sign up.

I think at one point if this trend continues they're going to ruffle the feathers of someone they shouldn't have, and are going to be served.

Gamers who complain about $60 Nintendo titles are not in any position to hire a lawyer against a huge billion dollar corporation.

The same way nobody has ever fought back against "free use" on youtube. Can't afford it and they're often well within their legal rights to shut you down.

#236 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29011 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@verbalfilth said:

All backers who got burned by this false advertising should be contacting their Lawyers now. They're gonna need them to hold these scumbags accountable through a class-action lawsuit.

lmfao....uh huh, i would eat my hat if gamers could be this organized and or rich.

#237 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29011 posts) -

@enzyme36 said:

This is really shitty for the backers not getting refunds. Make timed exculsives all you want... but dont sell something then take it away.

They promised a PC version.

It's on PC.

What's the problem here? Oh right.. PC Master complainers having a store launcher war.

#238 Posted by Jag85 (13497 posts) -

Is it really so hard to just download an Epic store launcher? Playing it with a Steam or Epic launcher makes no difference to me.

#239 Posted by enzyme36 (4198 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@enzyme36 said:

It's on PC.

What's the problem here? Oh right.. PC Master complainers having a store launcher war.

Wrong they promised a steam version. You paid for the steam version and you got something else. Your schtick on this is old stuff. No one needs to explain to you why they prefer 1 store front over the other... everyones reasons are different and irrelevant. But if you advertise something, collect cash on that and dont deliver.... you should at least offer refunds.

#241 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (29011 posts) -

@enzyme36 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@enzyme36 said:

It's on PC.

Wrong they promised a steam version. You paid for the steam version and you got something else. Your schtick on this is old stuff. No one needs to explain to you why they prefer 1 store front over the other... everyones reasons are different and irrelevant. But if you advertise something, collect cash on that and dont deliver.... you should at least offer refunds.

Read the fine print, they're allowed to change lots of things. Investing in something isn't the same as being a customer. You don't have the rights you think you do. Kickstarter makes you an investor, not the same as being a customer. You're not purchasing a product, you're investing in the creation of a product that they can change at any time without your consent.

As long as it plays on PC, they are delivering as promised.

Steam is not its own console, stop treating it like one.

#242 Edited by Renegade_Fury (20548 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

Is it really so hard to just download an Epic store launcher? Playing it with a Steam or Epic launcher makes no difference to me.

That's because it's not simply a difference of buying a product from a different store.

The epic launcher is such a cpu hog too, and to the point where my brother quit playing Metro Exodus despite being a big fan of the series. So yes, this is a big deal, and even as a huge fan of SEGA, Shenmue, and Yu Suzuki, being screwed over at the last second despite helping fund this game's existence has significantly dampened my enthusiasm. Backers at the very least should be given steam codes like what happened with Phoenix Point.

#243 Posted by enzyme36 (4198 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: I'm not talking about the fine print... all that lawyer talk is pointless. I never said what they are doing is illegal....

...It's just really shitty

#244 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29011 posts) -

@enzyme36 said:

@Bread_or_Decide: I'm not talking about the fine print... all that lawyer talk is pointless. I never said what they are doing is illegal....

...It's just really shitty

It's fine.

#245 Posted by pyro1245 (5004 posts) -

Pshhh.

I'm not going to support them. This is why crowd-funding gets such a bad rep.

Garbage people with garbage morals.

#246 Posted by Jag85 (13497 posts) -

@Renegade_Fury: I don't really mind if it lacks most of those features, so they're not deal-breakers to me.... But the CPU drain thing you mentioned sounds worrying. If true, that might actually be a deal-breaker for me.