Sharp glasses-free 3D phone: bye bye 3ds

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jovipman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jovipman
Member since 2004 • 161 Posts

now if only i can have a 3ds phone... oh i can

this iswhy the 3ds will fail

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/36613/sharp-galapagos-adds-android-3d

Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Disturbed123
Member since 2005 • 1665 Posts

add a link next time.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/003SH-005SH-3D-display-3DS-snapdragon,news-8643.html

Also, its android, not much games on it to benefit 3d at the moment.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

To my knowledge, 3D phones have been in Japan for quite some time. Heard they were popular as well, only failing for games. Could be because the Japanese are smart enough to know that you still need a great game developer to make the games...

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

Let me see here... so you think that because another company tries to MIMIC Nintendo's handheld gaming tech this will equal fail for Nintendo. Ha....we know that Shap can't compete with what Nintendo can offer gaming wise on the 3DS so all this does is support that Nintendo is on the right track and solidifies it's possible success due to consumer interest.

Ever head the old saying "Imitation is the sencerest form of flattery."

jovipman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jovipman
Member since 2004 • 161 Posts

Capcom, Konami, Namco Bandai and GungHo

i think this is good for a start

and you have the android market

general_KDI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 general_KDI
Member since 2003 • 1068 Posts

lol people are quite stupid if they think that buying 3D phone = a 3DS... I mean, the 3DS is not there to replace a phone, it a game portable console! How would a phone just kills 3DS. I played the 3DS and I can tell that people are acting quite crazy about 3D because after a couple of hours, they'll don't even notice it that much,

3D is not something that is supposed to sell (nintendo will try, and even be successful at it...), and if you buy a phone only because it's 3D, shame on you, because it's still just... a phone. You think that when you'll talk to other with your 3D phone it's gonna be a different feeling than with a 2D phone? Think the GPS will work better in 3D? Games will be better because it's 3D? No. It doesn't change anything. It's like watching a 480i TV signal upscaled in 1080p vs upscaled in 1080i. Both are equal.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Phones have had touch screens for years too yet the DS seemed to do surprisingly well :o.

Homesrfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Homesrfan
Member since 2006 • 5192 Posts
Lol yeah right. Nintendo has the software behind it, not many people are going to make games for a specific phone on the Android market for 3D. It can't just make games 3D.
King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
Lol a phone, I thought the 3ds really had competition and you say that is a phone? no thank you, worm. But nice try. This is what i get for taking you seriously.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

This isn't new, there have been glasses free 3D screens for a little bit now.

This samsung phone for example has a 3D AMOLED:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_w960_amoled_3d-3319.php

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

now if only i can have a 3ds phone... oh i can

this iswhy the 3ds will fail

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/36613/sharp-galapagos-adds-android-3d

jovipman
A 3d phone will be awesome but it won't kill or hinder the 3ds because it will have nintendo's games as well as other software support. Games on a phone are fun but no where as good as games on a nintendo device.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I've been calling glasses-free 3D technology for months. Now we just need it to go into movies and Kinect. :D
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

Let me see here... so you think that because another company tries to MIMIC Nintendo's handheld gaming tech this will equal fail for Nintendo. Ha....we know that Shap can't compete with what Nintendo can offer gaming wise on the 3DS so all this does is support that Nintendo is on the right track and solidifies it's possible success due to consumer interest.

Ever head the old saying "Imitation is the sencerest form of flattery."

Javy03

Now I agree, phones aren't competition for dedicated handheld gaming, and as far as gaming oes, 3ds will clearly be better than an android or iphone, but... "another company tries to MIMIC Nintendo's handheld gaming tech" Really? mimic their tech? You know Nintendo didn't invent the autostereoscopic 3d screen (that means glasses free 3d, for those following along at home), right? They've been around for awhile, as screens on 3d cameras and 3d phones (which have already been out for awhile in Japan).

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

I've been calling glasses-free 3D technology for months. Now we just need it to go into movies and Kinect. :DThe-Apostle
Autostereoscopic screens work in handheld devices because they are small, and you are viewing them from close up and directly in front. The cost of making an autostereoscopic big screen tv, much less a theater screen, would be pretty significant compared to glasses, and where the tech is right now, it wouldn't work well or at all for the large range of viewing angles required.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
it would be more for pictures and movies than games. because it doesn't have controls other than a touch screen you would be moving through objects. this just doesn't seem like it would be good.
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
A phone with 3D screen? Nice. Now the only features the phone is missing are an analog slidepad, d-pad, 2 shoulder buttons, 4 face-buttons, start and select buttons, and bottom screen. Once it has all those, it should be suitable for gaming, and not a phone that just happens to play games.
thecreechxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thecreechxxx
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts

A phone with 3D screen? Nice. Now the only features the phone is missing are an analog slidepad, d-pad, 2 shoulder buttons, 4 face-buttons, start and select buttons, and bottom screen. Once it has all those, it should be suitable for gaming, and not a phone that just happens to play games.PandaBear86
Here's a list of upcoming games and franchises. Once samsung has this then it might be suitable. That's the problem, if a company thinks all that matters is tech, they missed the point. It's all about the games. Activision •DJ Hero 3D AQ Interactive •Cubic ninja Atlus •Shin Megami Tensei •Shin Megami Tensei: Persona •Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Capcom •Resident Evil Revelations •Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (name not final) EA •EA FIFA Soccer •Madden NFL •The Sims 3 Gameloft •Asphalt DS Harmonix •Music Game Hudson Soft •Bomberman franchise •Deca Sports franchise •Kororinpa franchise Konami •Baseball franchise •Contra franchise •Frogger franchise •Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D "The Naked Sample" •Pro Evolution Soccer franchise / Winning Eleven franchise Level-5 •Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (name not final) Majesco Entertainment •BloodRayne: The Shroud •A Boy and His Blob •Face Racers: Photo Finish •Lion's Pride: Adventures on the Serengeti •Martha Stewart •WonderWorld Amusement Park Marvelous •Bokujyoumonogatari (Harvest Moon) 3D (name not final) Namco •Dragon Ball franchise (name not final) •Gundam franchise (name not final) •PAC-MANTM & GALAGATM (name not final) •Ridge Racer (name not final) •Super Robot franchise (name not final) Nintendo •Animal Crossing •Kid Icarus: Uprising •Mario Kart •nintendogs + cats •Paper Mario •PilotWings Resort •Star Fox 64 3D •Steel Diver Rocket •Crash-City GP •VS-robo Sega •Sonic (name not final) •Super Monkey Ball (name not final) Square Enix •CODENAME: Chocobo Racing •3D Dragon Quest franchise •Final Fantasy franchise •Kingdom Hearts franchise Take-Two Interactive •Carnival Games franchise Tecmo Koei •Dead or Alive 3D (name not final) •Dynasty Warriors (name not final) •Ninja Gaiden (name not final) •Samurai Warriors 3D (name not final) TOMY •Lovely Lisa 3D •Naruto Shippuden Action THQ •de Blob 2 •Kung Fu Panda •Kaboom of Doom •Marvel Super Hero Squad •Infinity Gauntlet •The Penguins of Madagascar •Puss N Boots •Saints Row: Drive-By Ubisoft •Assassin's Creed: Lost Legacy •Battle of Giants: Dinosaur Strike •Driver Renegade Hollywood 61 (name not final) •Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon •Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Warner Bros •Batman franchise •LEGO franchise

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

[QUOTE="PandaBear86"]A phone with 3D screen? Nice. Now the only features the phone is missing are an analog slidepad, d-pad, 2 shoulder buttons, 4 face-buttons, start and select buttons, and bottom screen. Once it has all those, it should be suitable for gaming, and not a phone that just happens to play games.thecreechxxx

Here's a list of upcoming games and franchises. Once samsung has this then it might be suitable. That's the problem, if a company thinks all that matters is tech, they missed the point. It's all about the games. Activision •DJ Hero 3D AQ Interactive •Cubic ninja Atlus •Shin Megami Tensei •Shin Megami Tensei: Persona •Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Capcom •Resident Evil Revelations •Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (name not final) EA •EA FIFA Soccer •Madden NFL •The Sims 3 Gameloft •Asphalt DS Harmonix •Music Game Hudson Soft •Bomberman franchise •Deca Sports franchise •Kororinpa franchise Konami •Baseball franchise •Contra franchise •Frogger franchise •Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D "The Naked Sample" •Pro Evolution Soccer franchise / Winning Eleven franchise Level-5 •Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (name not final) Majesco Entertainment •BloodRayne: The Shroud •A Boy and His Blob •Face Racers: Photo Finish •Lion's Pride: Adventures on the Serengeti •Martha Stewart •WonderWorld Amusement Park Marvelous •Bokujyoumonogatari (Harvest Moon) 3D (name not final) Namco •Dragon Ball franchise (name not final) •Gundam franchise (name not final) •PAC-MANTM & GALAGATM (name not final) •Ridge Racer (name not final) •Super Robot franchise (name not final) Nintendo •Animal Crossing •Kid Icarus: Uprising •Mario Kart •nintendogs + cats •Paper Mario •PilotWings Resort •Star Fox 64 3D •Steel Diver Rocket •Crash-City GP •VS-robo Sega •Sonic (name not final) •Super Monkey Ball (name not final) Square Enix •CODENAME: Chocobo Racing •3D Dragon Quest franchise •Final Fantasy franchise •Kingdom Hearts franchise Take-Two Interactive •Carnival Games franchise Tecmo Koei •Dead or Alive 3D (name not final) •Dynasty Warriors (name not final) •Ninja Gaiden (name not final) •Samurai Warriors 3D (name not final) TOMY •Lovely Lisa 3D •Naruto Shippuden Action THQ •de Blob 2 •Kung Fu Panda •Kaboom of Doom •Marvel Super Hero Squad •Infinity Gauntlet •The Penguins of Madagascar •Puss N Boots •Saints Row: Drive-By Ubisoft •Assassin's Creed: Lost Legacy •Battle of Giants: Dinosaur Strike •Driver Renegade Hollywood 61 (name not final) •Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon •Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Warner Bros •Batman franchise •LEGO franchise

Having a long list of games is nice, but it doesn't impress me enough. I need buttons to play games. A list of game franchises won't compensate for lack of buttons. I'll stick ith my PSP and keep an eye out on for PSP2 when it comes out. Wasting time on games for my iPhone was a mistake because the lack of buttons really hurt the experience.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Yeah people are going to throw away their iphones and droid incredibles just to look at menus in 3D the second that thing comes out.... >__>

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Yeah, the 3DS it totaly dead now because of this add-on :lol:

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
[QUOTE="PandaBear86"] Having a long list of games is nice, but it doesn't impress me enough. I need buttons to play games. A list of game franchises won't compensate for lack of buttons. I'll stick ith my PSP and keep an eye out on for PSP2 when it comes out. Wasting time on games for my iPhone was a mistake because the lack of buttons really hurt the experience.

That's a list of 3DS games dude. :P He's backing you up.
King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
[QUOTE="Guppy507"][QUOTE="PandaBear86"] Having a long list of games is nice, but it doesn't impress me enough. I need buttons to play games. A list of game franchises won't compensate for lack of buttons. I'll stick ith my PSP and keep an eye out on for PSP2 when it comes out. Wasting time on games for my iPhone was a mistake because the lack of buttons really hurt the experience.

That's a list of 3DS games dude. :P He's backing you up.

QFT. Since when games like Starfox were confirmed for the iphone? :P
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

Yeah people are going to throw away their iphones and droid incredibles just to look at menus in 3D the second that thing comes out.... >__>

VendettaRed07
like 3d menus on a touch screen would be terrible UI design. you'd be pressing through buttons. :P
bowser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#24 bowser3
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts

This is like saying if nintendo realeased an add on for the wii that would render wii games in 1080p, it would destroy the 360 and ps3.:|

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
Considering anyone with any common sense whatsoever knew 3D phones would be on the way, if not already in production, I'm guessing you believe the 3DS was doomed to begin with. Fortunately I'm pretty sure the DS survived the wave of touch screen phones, so I don't think Nintendo is going to scrap 3DS production tomorrow.
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

:lol: phones :P

Avatar image for BreakTheseLinks
BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BreakTheseLinks
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts
Just like how the DS went down the toilet when the iPhone (and other phones with touchscreens) was released. Oh wait...
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Just like how the DS went down the toilet when the iPhone (and other phones with touchscreens) was released. Oh wait...BreakTheseLinks

this man has won this thread. bye bye

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts

[QUOTE="BreakTheseLinks"]Just like how the DS went down the toilet when the iPhone (and other phones with touchscreens) was released. Oh wait...painguy1

It was the same thing I said two posts earlier.. :P

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="BreakTheseLinks"]Just like how the DS went down the toilet when the iPhone (and other phones with touchscreens) was released. Oh wait...UCF_Knight

It was the same thing I said two posts earlier.. :P

Correction...THIS MAN has won this thread. bye bye

windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 windsquid9000
Member since 2009 • 3206 Posts

Pretty smexy phone, but I can't see this competing with the 3DS until Android gets better gaming support.

"The Nintendo 3DS also uses Sharp's 3D display technology."

Also, Nintendo didn't invent glasses-free 3D, nor were they the first to use it.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Don't 3D and tuoch controls not work together?

NintendoNite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NintendoNite
Member since 2010 • 728 Posts
you fail. you do realize that the 3DS has many other features BESIDES 3D right?
AntiType

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AntiType
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts

No Buttons = not a viable gaming device. I have an iPhone and it SUCKS for gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
So when is it going to be Nintendo games?
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#36 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

The 3DS is going to have all of this.

What does that phone have?

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

Android isn't exactly a platform that complements games. I'm surprised Sony is even using it for the PSP Phone. Seems like an odd pairing. I would of rather seen a mobile phone version of the xmb os. In short, the 3DS is still going to be better.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Nintendo won't die because of Nintendo owned IPs. This is the reason I will never stop ignoring them, as Zelda is my favorite franchise of all time.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
It first needs to beat iPhone don't you think? 3D gaming on Android? Let's see the Android have some decent games other than Angry Birds please...