The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (a.k.a. the sequel to the greatest game ever created) was released yesterday on the Nintendo 3DS. Who all got the game? How far in have you gotten? What are your impressions so far?
I haven't had the chance to play it nearly as much as I would like to, sadly (only three and a half hours and three dungeons in), but here are my general impressions:
- The game looks beautiful; the screenshots do not do it justice
- That soundtrack. Holy shit, that soundtrack
- This game probably has the best use of 3D in a game outside of Super Mario 3D Land and maybe Kid Icarus: Uprising
- It's so fast and brisk- it literally took twenty minutes before you were on your way, and then the game keeps things moving. Surprisingly enough, it also finds the time to provide exposition and context
- The wall Link mechanic is probably the best 'gimmick' in Zelda till date
- The items rental mechanic opens up the full overworld to you from the get go- the game feels staggeringly open, you're free to do what you want and when you want
- No handholding. This cannot be emphasized enough. The game just drops you into the deep end of the pool, and you have to figure shit out yourself after that. It feels great to be able to figure things out yourself, it replicates that feeling of satisfaction you used to get from the old Zelda games
- Finally, the dungeon design. I haven't even gotten to the 'real' dungeons yet, I just completed Tower of Hera, but holy shit is it awesome. The way it integrates all items and also the Wall Link mechanic is mind boggling, it makes you stop and think, and try to look at things from a new perspective, literally.
- The boss fights are a bit disappointing
What are your thoughts on the game?