Shame on you Nintendo for ripping off your fan base again...

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

http://www.zeldainformer.com/articles/an-interview-with-eiji-aonuma-wind-waker-hd-and-the-future-of-zelda-series

They still charge $50. 

4Gamer: Does that mean the development time was not so long?

Aonuma: It took about 6 months. Development was still difficult. You had to consider the difference in hardware at the time. Additionally there is a technique known as toon shading, which gives the game a very animated look. At that time, the technique was established, but had not be used before by our staff, everyone had to do everything by hand.

- See more at: http://www.zeldainformer.com/articles/an-interview-with-eiji-aonuma-wind-waker-hd-and-the-future-of-zelda-series#sthash.b46VQR6R.dpuf

IMO, Out of the 3 console devs, Nintendo still has the worst practices.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
So development time dictates how much a game should cost now? The remake isn't priced $60, btw
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
It's not $60 but yeah "remasters" tend to be rip offs. It's up to the consumer to get value out of whatever they buy though.
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6056 Posts
Like ms or Sony haven't ripped their fans off. :roll:
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 timbers_WSU
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]So development time dictates how much a game should cost now? The remake isn't priced $60, btw

I know it's $50. Oh, I see it now. And yes. Remakes should be priced as such. I know you think Nintendo does no wrong but in this case.....Yes. They are doing it wrong.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

Not only was it done by hand has stated in that quote but here the list of changes

Widescreen 1080p with complete re-rendered/drawn textures, a brand new lighting engine, and a variety of new graphical effects
- Redone music, emphasis on still sounding like "Wind Waker" while improving samples and incorporating new elements
- Select "hero mode" at any time on file select to double enemy damage and remove recovery hearts
- Five of the eight Triforce pieces are now found in the chests that used to contain maps to their sunken locations, eliminating the need to acquire 1990 rupees to decipher the charts
- The Wind Waker can be conducted via the GamePad touchscreen, and the second playthrough of a song you conduct has been removed, speeding up the process of conducting any song
- After playing the Wind's Requiem in your boat, the camera pans behind Link, and points in the direction you want the wind to go, instead of panning above him with an arrow
- You can acquire the "Swift Sail" relatively early on in the game, which doubles the speed the King of Red Lions sails when you press the A button (this only works because the entire ocean is now loaded in RAM at once, so there is no need to sail slow while loading new areas)
- Improved draw distance on the Great Sea
- The Wind Waker, boat cannon, and boat grapple for pulling up treasure are all mapped to directions on the d-pad, so they no longer require equipping and the taking up of button-inventory space. You also no longer need to equip the sail, it is mapped to the A button when you are in the boat.
- When aiming the cannon in the boat, you now have an aiming reticule
- The clouds over the great sea have been completely redesigned in a more lush and realistic style, while remaining fully weather-dynamic
- You can walk while in first-person, and walk while aiming items like the bow and arrow
- You can aim your first-person items using the GamePad gyroscope, like in OOT3D (useful for fine tweaking once you use the stick to put the cursor in the general place you want it)
- The pictobox now holds up to 12 photos, increased from 3
- The pictobox displays a "Great!" emblem when you successfully take a picture of a character to have a figure made, so you know if your photo was good enough without having to take it to the guy first
- You can use the pictobox to take "selfies," where Link holds the camera towards himself to take a photo of himself and what's behind him
- The touchscreen inventory on the GamePad allows for easier assigning of items to buttons
- You can find bottles on the beach that contain messages from other Wind Waker players via Miiverse, and put your own messages in the sea the same way
- When sailing, you can have the map on the GamePad screen, making it much easier to position your boat when looking for treasure. The treasure map you have will display smaller next to your main map, so you can place your boat in the correct place. You used to have to keep pulling the map up over and over, often overshooting your point.
- When you start the game, your wallet's maximum capacity is 500 rupees, rather than 200
- Grappling hook animation cut down to less than half of its previous duration, both on land and when dredging up treasure in your boat
- Sped up text boxes, and removed repetitive explanation for how to equip new items
- Option to play the entire game off-TV on the GamePad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]So development time dictates how much a game should cost now? The remake isn't priced $60, btw

I know it's $50. Oh, I see it now. And yes. Remakes should be priced as such. I know you think Nintendo does no wrong but in this case.....Yes. They are doing it wrong.

I don't think Nintendo does no wrong. You of all people should know that. However, in this case, I don't think they did anything wrong, rather I think the fact that they were able to get such a beautiful looking game out in such a short period of time with no experience with HD game development speaks volumes to their talent.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#9 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Not only was it done by hand has stated in that quote but here the list of changes

Widescreen 1080p with complete re-rendered/drawn textures, a brand new lighting engine, and a variety of new graphical effects
- Redone music, emphasis on still sounding like "Wind Waker" while improving samples and incorporating new elements
- Select "hero mode" at any time on file select to double enemy damage and remove recovery hearts
- Five of the eight Triforce pieces are now found in the chests that used to contain maps to their sunken locations, eliminating the need to acquire 1990 rupees to decipher the charts
- The Wind Waker can be conducted via the GamePad touchscreen, and the second playthrough of a song you conduct has been removed, speeding up the process of conducting any song
- After playing the Wind's Requiem in your boat, the camera pans behind Link, and points in the direction you want the wind to go, instead of panning above him with an arrow
- You can acquire the "Swift Sail" relatively early on in the game, which doubles the speed the King of Red Lions sails when you press the A button (this only works because the entire ocean is now loaded in RAM at once, so there is no need to sail slow while loading new areas)
- The Wind Waker, boat cannon, and boat grapple for pulling up treasure are all mapped to directions on the d-pad, so they no longer require equipping and the taking up of button-inventory space. You also no longer need to equip the sail, it is mapped to the A button when you are in the boat.
- The clouds over the great sea have been completely redesigned in a more lush and realistic style, while remaining fully weather-dynamic
- You can walk while in first-person, and walk while aiming items like the bow and arrow
- You can aim your first-person items using the GamePad gyroscope, like in OOT3D (useful for fine tweaking once you use the stick to put the cursor in the general place you want it)
- The pictobox displays a "Great!" emblem when you successfully take a picture of a character to have a figure made, so you know if your photo was good enough without having to take it to the guy first
- You can use the pictobox to take "selfies," where Link holds the camera towards himself to take a photo of himself and what's behind him
- The touchscreen inventory on the GamePad allows for easier assigning of items to buttons
- You can find bottles on the beach that contain messages from other Wind Waker players via Miiverse, and put your own messages in the sea the same way
- When sailing, you can have the map on the GamePad screen, making it much easier to position your boat when looking for treasure. The treasure map you have will display smaller next to your main map, so you can place your boat in the correct place. You used to have to keep pulling the map up over and over, often overshooting your point.
- When you start the game, your wallet's maximum capacity is 500 rupees, rather than 200
- Grappling hook animation cut down to less than half of its previous duration, both on land and when dredging up treasure in your boat
- Sped up text boxes, and removed repetitive explanation for how to equip new items

HarlockJC
That's what I'm talking about, harlock :cool:
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
When it comes to Nintendo there's no shame left. Ripoff and sell outdated/overpriced stuff is all they do since 06
Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

Same can be said,about the new KI game.If you think Nintendo is ripping their fanbase off.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
amount estimated to sell + time + profit point = price Of course it don't help with games out there in same range. Look at Madden. we all damn well agree it should be marked at $20 but idiots still pay $60 bones
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

So should Duke Nukem Forever cost $200+

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#14 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

$50 is too much for a remake. Halo CE was just as much of a remake and it came with full multiplayer as well and was cheaper.

Really can you think of any other remake that was released at $50? I can't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

$50 is too much for a remake. Halo CE was just as much of a remake and it came with full multiplayer as well and was cheaper.

cain006
Better than Ocarina of Time 3D which was released at full price...
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bbkkristian

Same can be said,about the new KI game.If you think Nintendo is ripping their fanbase off.

Promised_Trini
What was bad about the kid icarus uprising, besides from controls?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="Promised_Trini"]

bbkkristian

Killer Instinct :P
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

cain006

REmake

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bbkkristian
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="Promised_Trini"]

charizard1605

Killer Instinct :P

Arrrghh, when you say KI nod Nintendo in the same post, it's automatically assumed your talking about Kid Icarus :P
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I thought this thread was gonna be about how the new Pokemon games still only have one save slot.

Good ole Nintendo 3729424900.gif

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50496 Posts

Seriously Nintendo, shame on you.

I'm going to enjoy the shit out of Zelda!

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

When it comes to Nintendo there's no shame left. Ripoff and sell outdated/overpriced stuff is all they do since 06silversix_

Yup.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
$50 is fairly costly for a remake, but I think Harlock said it best when he showed why it's got a hell of a lot more behind it than Microsoft or Sony have ever done on a remaster. Why is it that when Nintendo finally does something, they show how it should be done and spank those who have been doing it for years? First DLC with NSLU and now HD remakes with Zelda. It's that Ninten-can-do attitude at work :cool:
Avatar image for tastetheacidmil
tastetheacidmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tastetheacidmil
Member since 2009 • 737 Posts
Like ms or Sony haven't ripped their fans off. :roll:Ghost120x
naaaaaaaaaaaah don't be silly ;)
sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

WWHD is Fantastic, frame rate dips are the most annoying part about it, but I gladly paid full price for this one, I intend to replay it instantly after I finish to get the translated text and collect all the statues. Great game.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
Im sure Ninty fans dont feel ripped off. Is just like COD, I feel that its the same thing over and over, but some people really enjoy each iteration and get hundreds of hours of fun from the games. So who am I to tell them they got ripped off? I've bought new games and only gotten 12 hours of fun from them, if you can buy a game, remastered or not, and enjoy it, then you werent ripped off.
Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

Supply and demand.  Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay.  If you think it's a ripoff then don't pay it.  Nintendo charges that much because they know they can.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

Supply and demand.  Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay.  If you think it's a ripoff then don't pay it.  Nintendo charges that much because they know they can.

Alpha_S_
Many must think it is overpriced judging by sales in Japan.
DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

[QUOTE="Alpha_S_"]

MFDOOM1983

Haha! Exactly!

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

WWHD is Fantastic, frame rate dips are the most annoying part about it, but I gladly paid full price for this one, I intend to replay it instantly after I finish to get the translated text and collect all the statues. Great game.

sailor232

Prettd sad that Wii-U can't handle a 10 year old game running at 720p with more bloom than early-gen 360 games. Probably should have went the sony route with 1080p/60, some re-done textures, no bloom and threw TP in for $50. 

Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

[QUOTE="Alpha_S_"]

MFDOOM1983

Well then if people show their not willing to buy it at that price maybe they'll stop charging so much.  Personally I think it is a rip-off but that's why I'm not buying it (that and I don't care much for Wind Waker anyway).  But I can't blame Nintendo - if their fans are willing to pay that much for it, then that's what they'll charge.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#33 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

sailor232

It has FPS drops??? What the heck Nintendo?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Skilled programmer and artist makes a game in 1 week.

Noob programmer and artist make the same game in 1 year.

The noob's game should be priced higher right? Even though it's the same game. That's what it sounds like you're saying. 

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DocSanchez

The noob's game should be priced higher right? Even though it's the same game. That's what it sounds like you're saying. 

trugs26

We're talking about taking old games and giving them a polish, not developing new games.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 trugs26

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

DocSanchez

We're talking about taking old games and giving them a polish, not developing new games.

This was a reply directly to the OP, not to your conversation. If he was talking about old games, then he needs to clarify in his OP.  

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DocSanchez

[QUOTE="DocSanchez"]

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

trugs26

This was a reply directly to the OP, not to your conversation. If he was talking about old games, then he needs to clarify in his OP.  

He doesn't need to clarify that at all as he made it clear he was talking about Zelda Windwaker HD.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#38 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

[QUOTE="cain006"]

Pikminmaniac

REmake

Also, TR: Anniversary (if I recall) and MGS: Twin Snakes.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 trugs26

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

[QUOTE="DocSanchez"]

DocSanchez

He doesn't need to clarify that at all as he made it clear he was talking about Zelda Windwaker HD.

I know he was talking about WW HD. But his quote opens about development time. So what is he complaining about? OP doesn't elaborate on this at all. I can only assume. 

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

DocSanchez
First we really don't know how large the Zelda team is, saying the game only took 6 months is meaningless without an idea of how large the team is compared to others. Second I already listed a huge number of changes the Zelda team made with the remake. Some of them are small changes, but it more to a point that they did not just make a pretty port.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

http://www.zeldainformer.com/articles/an-interview-with-eiji-aonuma-wind-waker-hd-and-the-future-of-zelda-series

They still charge $50. 

4Gamer: Does that mean the development time was not so long?

Aonuma: It took about 6 months. Development was still difficult. You had to consider the difference in hardware at the time. Additionally there is a technique known as toon shading, which gives the game a very animated look. At that time, the technique was established, but had not be used before by our staff, everyone had to do everything by hand.

- See more at: http://www.zeldainformer.com/articles/an-interview-with-eiji-aonuma-wind-waker-hd-and-the-future-of-zelda-series#sthash.b46VQR6R.dpuf

IMO, Out of the 3 console devs, Nintendo still has the worst practices.

timbers_WSU

8648d1311055173-hanamaru-kindergarten-pl

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#42 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

zlCfzRJVhYkO66W3ZV

Ripped off you say? 

zlCfzRJVq3IiBxhJcd

Well this is just disappointing to hear. I guess I'll just drown my sorrow in some more Wind Waker HD. #BroWakers

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

how dare you people enjoy wind waker hd after timbers made this thread, shame on you!

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts
I got Halo Anniversary for £25 at launch and Kingdom Hearts Remix for that price too. Paying full price for a remake is so bad but Nintendo always charge full price for Zelda, Pokemon, Mario etc and the price NEVER goes down. I could buy A Pokemon game from 2009 through Nintendo and it would still cost the same as it did at launch
dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts
Sony and MS both will be charging for online soon. That is a ripoff.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178810 Posts
Basic economics. Supply and demand. If you don't like the price....don't buy.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

HarlockJC

Good list but one thing you missed you can also now change direction with the grappling hook while moving instead of stopping to change direction.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts
Charging full price for this is a bit too much.
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 timbers_WSU

Let me use an example or remakes done right.

Devil May Cry Coolection
Metal Gear Solid Collection
Jak and Daxter Collection
Halo Anniversery
Dark Athena with a remastered Butcher Bay
All of those games released in HD (Soul Calibur and RE4 for example for $20 or less) on XBL and PSN.
Ratchet and Clank, God of War, Sly Cooper collections
Doom 3 BFG Edition

Here are a few examples. All have several games or major udgrades, modes, added bonus material and came in cheaper than Wind Waker exfept Halo which I think was the same price. Don't remember.
Point is Wind WAKER IS ONE GAME THAT IS NOW HD WITH BLOOM EFFECTS!!!!!!!

It should of been a $30 download at the most.

Shame on you Nintendo. No wonder the Wii U is a failure that will be pulled from stores in a year and Nintendo's fanbase vanished quicker than Limp Bizkit's.