SF5 bombs in Japan retail

• 139 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1189325

[PS4] Street Fighter V # <FTG> (Capcom) {2016.02.18} (¥7.990) - 41.990 / NEW

GG Capcom. That's 100K ww for pc, and less than 100k for the UK and JP. If the US doesn't get 100k in sales, the game doesn't even break 400k ww, most likely, unless it gets a ton in digital.

Thanks for fucking up SF Cap bhres.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

They like traditional experiences over there, don't they? So they're probably not big on online and since most of them probably realized there's not much content for a solo player, they decided not to give a dam.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

But Capcom are huge innovators and visionaries :'(

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#4 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

They like traditional experiences over there, don't they? So they're probably not big on online and since most of them probably realized there's not much content for a solo player, they decided not to give a dam.

Um, Street Figher = Japan. This IS their thing. But sadly, the game is just a bomb in general. If you noticed, it's the Japanese that are on the top of the leaderboards for this game.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Yikes, even Tomb Raider did better on Xbox

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Capcom would probably be bankrupt over this failure if Sony had not funded the game.

I expect them to use this situation as justification be even more cautious with releasing their own games even though this situation could have been avoided if they had not rushed it out.

I might go as far as to say Capcom won't release a single AAA game on their own this generation. MAYBE Resident Evil 7, but that is long overdue and now where in sight. They really need to be bought out by a 3rd party like maybe Square Enix or Sony.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kvally

@mems_1224 said:

Well it did over a million the first week, lol. Good thing TR is doing awesome.

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

They really screwed up this launch. It's too bad, because mechanically this is probably the best Street Fighter game yet.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Damn that's surprising, since Japan seem to be the fight capitol of the gaming world too. Some of the most unique fighting games are from there. Even if Japan was considered PlayStation-land, that couldn't help this once very popular franchise. Capcom are kicking themselves right about now but knowing Capcom's history they're going to release more versions of the game at more platforms, their history have proven this.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Capcom abandon quality, not live up to Japan heritage

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@kvally said:
@mems_1224 said:

lol yeah shipped to stores it did..lol

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

so its sitting at 170k units between UK, Japan, and PC sales. If you told me a couple months ago that SF5 was gonna be in this situation I would have called you a liar. This was being hyped up so hard! Its a shocking result.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Bombed like Forza 6 and Tomb Raider. What a shame.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 StrongBlackVine

@kvally said:
@mems_1224 said:

No it didn't. It took ROTR almost two months to hit 1 million on Xbox One + 360 combined. Those facts aside SFV is might end up being the biggest commercial flop of the generation so far. I still think it will sell alright in the long run though.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@kvally said:
@mems_1224 said:

http://gameranx.com/updates/id/32444/article/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-sold-over-1m-copies-on-xbox-one/

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StrongBlackVine

@bunchanumbers said:

so its sitting at 170k units between UK, Japan, and PC sales. If you told me a couple months ago that SF5 was gonna be in this situation I would have called you a liar. This was being hyped up so hard! Its a shocking result.

It is quite amazing to be honest. Capcom must be in shock. They obviously misevaluated how much tolerance the market had for their rushed product. I still say Evo 2016 was not worth risking one of their most important releases in years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Yeah, it's basically a bomb everywhere. I guess US sales could save it, but we'll see how it is once NPD rolls around.

@kvally said:
@mems_1224 said:

It did not sell over a million the first week. It had sold over a million by 2015 end, but that was six weeks of sale.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kvally

@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, it's basically a bomb everywhere. I guess US sales could save it, but we'll see how it is once NPD rolls around.

@kvally said:
@mems_1224 said:

It did not sell over a million the first week. It had sold over a million by 2015 end, but that was six weeks of sale.

Sorry 6 weeks, not 4 week. My bad. But that doesn't include digital sales, which are huge.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

Well there is over 250k ranked player online not counting the non ranked ones its safe to assume the game is sitting @400k probably ww

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

Oh that's right everything is shipped for all except Sony. Magically everything becomes sold thru. Ummm ok buddy

@tormentos said:
@kvally said:
@mems_1224 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:
@kvally said:
@mems_1224 said:

No it didn't. It took ROTR almost two months to hit 1 million on Xbox One + 360 combined. Those facts aside SFV is might end up being the biggest commercial flop of the generation so far. I still think it will sell alright in the long run though.

Got proof? I don't think any numbers were released showing either.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kvally

@kingtito: besides the uk charts the Japan charts the lack of people online and gafs estimate for NA?

Lol

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NathanDrakeSwag

@StrongBlackVine said:
@bunchanumbers said:

It is quite amazing to be honest. Capcom must be in shock. They obviously misevaluated how much tolerance the market had for their rushed product. I still say Evo 2016 was not worth risking one of their most important releases in years.

Capcom overestimated how many casual SF fans still exist in 2016. Fighting games outside of Super Smash Bros and Mortal Kombat don't sell big numbers anymore.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@kvally said:

@kingtito: besides the uk charts the Japan charts the lack of people online and gafs estimate for NA?

Lol

Im talking about TRoTR he hates so much. He said it took over a month to reach 1M even though I highly doubt he had any proof to back that up. I don't recall any numbers being released showing it either way. In other words I think he full of shit as usual.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@kingtito said:

Oh that's right everything is shipped for all except Sony. Magically everything becomes sold thru. Ummm ok buddy

See there you are again attacking sony sales numbers..hahahaaa

It was shipped because NPD and Pal charts didn't show the game selling,kind of like when MS sold 400 million of halo 5 crap to retailers and they only sold 900+K on NPD and the game under performed vs Halo 3 in all territories.yeah you know it was shipped to retailers because the sale from sources don't add up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@kvally said:
@charizard1605 said:

@kvally said:
@mems_1224 said:

Sorry 6 weeks, not 4 week. My bad. But that doesn't include digital sales, which are huge.

Those include digital sales, because the number came directly from Microsoft, who have access to all the data. Also, your original post insinuated that Tomb Raider sold a million in one week, not four.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 StrongBlackVine

@kingtito said:

@tormentos said:
@kvally said:
@mems_1224 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:
@kvally said:
@mems_1224 said:

Read Gaf sometimes if you want numbers and not just the trolling that is on here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@bunchanumbers said:

Capcom overestimated how many casual SF fans still exist in 2016. Fighting games outside of Super Smash Bros and Mortal Kombat don't sell big numbers anymore.

No, I think it's the other way around exactly- Capcom overestimated the core audience, and underestimated the casual audience. If they had actually realized there is still a massive casual audience, they would not have put out a product so unappealing to them.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag

@charizard1605 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@bunchanumbers said:

No, I think it's the other way around exactly- Capcom overestimated the core audience, and underestimated the casual audience. If they had actually realized there is still a massive casual audience, they would not have put out a product so unappealing to them.

Even if that is true it is still unusual for such a well known franchise to struggle in sales this much. Brand name alone should have been able to carry it for at least a week or 2 before word of mouth killed sales. I just don't think many people outside of competitive players care about SF anymore. The same thing happened to Tekken sales last gen.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kvally

@charizard1605 said:
@kvally said:
@charizard1605 said:

@kvally said:
@mems_1224 said:

Those include digital sales, because the number came directly from Microsoft, who have access to all the data. Also, your original post insinuated that Tomb Raider sold a million in one week, not four.

No, they don't. Prove it.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 StrongBlackVine
@charizard1605 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@bunchanumbers said:

Yeah I feel pretty confident in saying no way this game bombs as hard as it did if it released with all the content it will have by June.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kvally

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@charizard1605 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@bunchanumbers said:

Even if that is true it is still unusual for such a well known franchise to struggle in sales this much. Brand name alone should have been able to carry it for at least a week or 2 before word of mouth killed sales. I just don't think many people outside of competitive players care about SF anymore. The same thing happened to Tekken sales last gen.

We will probably get SFVI, and released on all systems now, lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@kvally said:
@charizard1605 said:
@kvally said:
@charizard1605 said:

@kvally said:

Prove what? That Microsoft made the statement?

Or is this the new lemming game- Microsoft don't know their own numbers

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NathanDrakeSwag

@kvally said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@charizard1605 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

If a Japanese fighting game can't even sell on a Japanese console with double the sales of its competition then releasing the sequel on X1 won't help anything. The next one will probably be some mobile crap.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@charizard1605 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@bunchanumbers said:

Maybe- but I mean, I think it's the toxic word of mouth that really killed this game, that and the absolute lack of marketing.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 StrongBlackVine

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@charizard1605 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@bunchanumbers said:

I think if it had launched the story mode and and package similar MKX it would have sold to casuals. I don't believe this has anything to do with the brand. I know people that were planning to buy this day one and cancelled after they found out much content was missing.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StrongBlackVine

@kvally said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@charizard1605 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

Who is gonna pay for that? Surely not Capcom.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kvally

@charizard1605 said:
@kvally said:
@charizard1605 said:
@kvally said:
@charizard1605 said:

That they said digital sales are included.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@kvally said:
@charizard1605 said:
@kvally said:
@charizard1605 said:
@kvally said:

No, you're right, in a press statement released to trumpet game sales, Microsoft would deliberately leave out sales numbers to get lower figures. Hell, Microsoft probably don't even know what digital game sales for a game they published using their own storefront on their home console are like- after all, why would they know?

No, I think you are right. Clearly, Tomb Raider digital sales are massive. We can assume all 19 million Xbox One owners bought the game. Highest selling game of this generation confirmed.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kvally

@charizard1605 said:
@kvally said:
@charizard1605 said:
@kvally said:
@charizard1605 said:

No, you're right, in a press statement released to trumpet game sales, Microsoft would deliberately leave out sales numbers to get lower figures. Hell, Microsoft probably don't even know what digital game sales for a game they published using their own storefront on their home console are like- after all, why would they know?

No, I think you are right. Clearly, Tomb Raider digital sales are massive. We can assume all 19 million Xbox One owners bought the game. Highest selling game of this generation confirmed.

LOL, so you have nothing. Just what we thought. Cows are home!

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

Let's all be thankful to Sony for making Street Fighter 5 happen. And it's such a good thing they limited the audience because a bigger audience wasn't needed anyway. And I'm super grateful the developers are so competent that a game like this doesn't run on a 750Ti at 60fps.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

I'm hoping for this low sale trend to continue. I want this to some how send a message to Gran Turismo. I'm a huge fan of Gran Turismo. I have a feeling its finally going to hit all the notes and be the game we wanted since the glory days. Somehow its going to get fu**ed up buy limited release and stupid premium non premium cars shenanigans. I hope this scares the shit out of Sony and PD. Street Fighter 5 for what it is in terms of fighting did not deserve this fu** up.

@charizaard1605 is right its a hit for pros, they could care less as long as they got to train for now. Its stupid though because its hurting the game sales. Who knows how many casual will be back when all the upgrades roll in.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Flopped like an Xbox exclusive. :( Damn Capcom, why did you guys skimp out on offline features?

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

FLOPPED

poor cows can't catch a break

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

If you played it at launch - you'd think it's shocking that anyone bought the game at all.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56079 Posts

At the end of the day, I'm still enjoying playing SFV on PS4 but can't say that I feel sorry for Capcom's lost though.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

In Japan?

Phreek300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By Phreek300
Member since 2007 • 672 Posts

I've been holding out on saying anything on this. But I cannot any longer. Release an unfinished project and the market reacted negatively. Who would thunk that noise.......anyone with common sense. Of course if you release a shell of a game you will get crappy sales. I hope game companies see this and realize people are sick and phuckin tired of half finished games with massive one day patches or content to be added in later. Consumers are sick and tired of this crap. I know I am. I will not pre-order anything anymore. I stopped a few years ago. I won't support mediocrity in any fashion. You can claim it was for EVO, but it still should have had at least Player vs CPU. There is no excuse for that AT ALL. So as you can tell, the review score reflects my thoughts.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

It flopped lol Capcom are going broke haha

Razik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#50 Razik
Member since 2015 • 965 Posts

This is brillant news not for Fanboy's but its about time gamers said No to Publishers releasing half finished games