Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice has sold 3.8 million copies! Another victory for Activision!

#1 Posted by DaVillain- (37519 posts) -

And that's including all platforms combine.

Very impressive for a brand new IP game. Though I have the game in my Steam Collection of games and haven't gotten around playing it for myself but nevertheless, this is great news for a new IP game From Software & weather you like'em or hat'em, Activision at least did something useful for once. Giving new IP a chance.

#2 Posted by Life-is-a-Game (672 posts) -

The only FromSoftware game I've finished .. excellent game and my GOTY so far

#3 Posted by sakaiXx (5911 posts) -

Decent numbers hope sales pick up this coming holiday. More great single player games is always welcomed.

#4 Edited by Ten_Pints (3875 posts) -

Cool, didn't like the game that much, a bit too button spammy for me but I can see why people would like it.

#5 Posted by phbz (4584 posts) -

Good, well deserved. My first Activision game since a long time.

#6 Posted by DaVillain- (37519 posts) -
@phbz said:

And people say Activision are the bad guys. That's ridiculous I say.

#7 Posted by Archangel3371 (28396 posts) -

Kudos to From Software on another hit. I was pretty hyped for it myself but after watching some gameplay there were some aspects that I was a little put off by. However it still looks like a cool game and something I might pick up later on when I see it on sale or something.

#8 Posted by DaVillain- (37519 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

Kudos to From Software on another hit. I was pretty hyped for it myself but after watching some gameplay there were some aspects that I was a little put off by. However it still looks like a cool game and something I might pick up later on when I see it on sale or something.

Question, what are these aspects that scare you away? Just curious what you have to say.

#9 Posted by Archangel3371 (28396 posts) -

@davillain-: Saw a couple of boss battles and while I am not adverse to challenging games it just looked like something that I might find a bit too frustrating so it made me a little leary of the game.

#10 Posted by uninspiredcup (34354 posts) -

May they reign for a thousand years.

#11 Posted by jaydan (2389 posts) -

To me that's more of a From Software win. They are the ones consistently making quality games and publishers play footsie with them for their chance to have their own From Software experience.

#12 Posted by DaVillain- (37519 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

@davillain-: Saw a couple of boss battles and while I am not adverse to challenging games it just looked like something that I might find a bit too frustrating so it made me a little leary of the game.

Oh, I see. Haven't gotten around to installing Sekiro myself just yet, I hope I'm up for the challenge.

#13 Edited by I_P_Daily (12318 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@phbz said:

Why are people congratulating CRAPtivision as they didn't make it only distributed it lol.

CRAPtivision are bad guys, they bought Bizarre Creations a well established dev in the racing genre and after Blur, made them make a James Bond game that was shit but got praise for the car driving bits, well durr. Then shut them down shortly after, but thankfully most of the guys went on to help form Playground Games Who now make the best racing games in the industry.

Hopefully I have educated you just a little bit on why people consider them "bad guys" but there is a shit ton more out there on the net why CRAPtivision suck. Go educate yourself :)

They will never get another cent from me ever again.

#14 Posted by MirkoS77 (14360 posts) -

To hell with Sekiro. Game sucks balls, no projection.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
#15 Posted by ___gamemaster__ (2676 posts) -

my personal goty. the lore may be inferior to soulsborne series, but the combat is way better.

#16 Edited by pyro1245 (5153 posts) -

Activision had nothing to do with making this game. They distributed outside of Japan.

Credit where credit is due - FROM SOFTWARE

From Software could have gotten literally any other publisher to help them with this after the success of the Souls games.

Frankly I'm a bit confused. Is this a troll title? Activision wasn't close enough to this game to ruin it.

Amazing game - thank you FROM SOFTWARE

#17 Posted by joebones5000 (2630 posts) -

Seems like Tenchu Stealth Assassins to me.

#18 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25456 posts) -

@davillain-: This is a bit off topic, but what the heck happened here? Lol

#19 Posted by DaVillain- (37519 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

@davillain-: This is a bit off topic, but what the heck happened here? Lol

Huh? I didn't even notice that image.

Edit: Okay now I remember. You will only see this type of image whenever a user has change their avatars and for some reasons, this image gets big due to GS is still processing the actual avatar size but this should return to normal at some point. I just change my new avatar this morning.

#20 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31446 posts) -
@davillain- said:
@phbz said:

Uhm, I think you are overstating what Activision did here.

They didn't pay for development, they weren't the ones who had From make this game. All they did really was publish Sekiro in the West.

#21 Posted by robert_sparkes (3232 posts) -

From software deserve all the credit they developed the game and put in all the extra work. Activision had the easy job to attach themselves to it and publish it. Anyone who played can tell it's a from software game.

#22 Posted by sovkhan (1276 posts) -

Victory for activision!?!

How is that???

It's a pure From-software product, as so many have already stated before.

#23 Edited by KungfuKitten (26738 posts) -

They could have gotten a deal with so many publishers :(

I hope they will look a little further next time for a real publisher in the west :)

#24 Edited by DaVillain- (37519 posts) -

Come on you guys. Activision maybe crap in some ways but I for one rather deal with Activision then EA and that says alot. At least Activision is open to more IP games then EA when it comes to support.

Am I'm being too generous to Activision?

#25 Posted by Jag85 (13596 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:

Activision had nothing to do with making this game. They distributed outside of Japan.

Credit where credit is due - FROM SOFTWARE

From Software could have gotten literally any other publisher to help them with this after the success of the Souls games.

Frankly I'm a bit confused. Is this a troll title? Activision wasn't close enough to this game to ruin it.

Amazing game - thank you FROM SOFTWARE

I'm pretty sure Activision helped bankroll the game.

It could be that several publishers were willing to fund it, but Activision offered the most funding.

Either way, I agree it's From Software that deserves the credit.

#26 Posted by R-Gamer (435 posts) -

Great game. The credit goes to From Software though as any publisher would have picked it up.

#27 Posted by Litchie (24134 posts) -

Play it, dude. It's awesome.

#28 Posted by with_teeth26 (9592 posts) -

honestly, my least favorite From game since i've started playing their stuff (DS1)

has some cool ideas but i mostly found it frustrating. not a fan of such a parry-heavy combat system with tight timing windows

#29 Posted by MirkoS77 (14360 posts) -

In all fairness to Activision, I heard they were involved in the development to some extent that helped 'casualize' the game for the masses. FROM's games have never been all that accessible to the majority, and while a lot of that resides in the difficulty, Sekiro had some UI aspects in it that helped newer players accommodate to the developer's minimalist style better. It also pissed of longtime FROM fans something crazy.

#30 Posted by Fuhrer_D (916 posts) -

Started to pick this up, but I got into playing something else at the time (Crackdown 3?). I have a feeling it will come to gamepass, so I'll wait.

#31 Posted by enzyme36 (4259 posts) -

From never really let me down so far.... will have to scoop this one up on a good sale.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
#32 Posted by drummerdave9099 (4138 posts) -

Hoping it'll be $15 this Black Friday so I can pick it up then xD

#33 Posted by lundy86_4 (53622 posts) -

I have still not completed that game. Stupid monkey!

#35 Posted by biggest_loser (24332 posts) -

How difficult is this game compared to Bloodborne? I really enjoyed the latter but some say this is even harder.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
#36 Edited by ___gamemaster__ (2676 posts) -

@biggest_loser: as a soulsbourne fan, i find it difficult to adjust at first as instead of dodging, your main focus should be deflecting. the game will punish you hard if you play it with souls style. since this is offline game, no one will help you to get through bosses. i cant say its harder but i find the combat on sekiro way superior than its soulsborne