Sekiro: From Software's Cheap/Fake Difficulty.

Cloud_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Cloud_Man
Member since 2020 • 74 Posts

So I'm playing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice at the moment. I have mixed feelings about the game. For some reason I'm coming back to it over and over again because defeating tough enemies feels rewarding but I've also noticed that a lot of times when I died it wasn't my fault but the game's limitation. It felt as if devs wanted me to die and used every cheap tactic they had at their disposal. People blame Witcher for its lock on system but fankly I think it's far superior to Sekrio's. Why? Because it doesn't break down when facing more than one enemy.

Timing in Sekrio is the key. You have to time your attacks and dodging accurately. Every single second counts. So in this case using lock on system becomes necessary since you don't want to swing swords mindlessly in air in hopes of hitting the right enemy. You have to lock on to make sure attacks are targeted at in the right direction. However, when you lock on, the camera focuses on that person exclusively. You can't rotate the camera to observe your surroundings. And if by mistake you try to move the camera with mouse or analogue stick, the game starts targeting a different foe standing far away. This makes fighting more than one person a chore and feels cheap and clunky. And when the game throws ranged attacks at you on top of melee attacks at once... good luck.

I respect the game's difficulty. But then as a player I also want the game to respect me as a player. Countless times when I was performing instant kill actions after draining the enemy's stamina, the enemy close to him backstabbed me. How is it my fault if pre recorded animation is being played and the other foe attacks me during this session? Let the animation end at least? Then I tried to be smart and decided to let fire arrow of one enemy kill another one, so I dodged to trick him. Guess what happens? Arrow magically passes through his body and hits me instead. Where is my reward for thinking out of box and being creative?

I'm halfway through the game and so far I have mixed feelings about it. I want to finish it. More or less I'm kinda addicted to it but I can also see several shortcomings of the engine/game. I am not sure if it's good enough to be declared as GOTY.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 369 Posts

Of all the difficult games i've played this gen, Sekiro is the least cheap i've seen. Everything is snappy and accurate. If you're getting hit off screen, why don't you ball them up in front of you so all enemies are on screen? This is not science. Or did you want the combat to be braindead like it is in every Ass Creed game where one enemy attacks you while the rest are just standing there and do nothing? That's made for people that have trouble clicking buttons on their controller. If you know there's no iFrames during executions, why do you execute an enemy while others are around you? This is not an issue with the game, its just having common sense while playing a video game. This is what Fortnite and Call of Duty does to you 😢

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Juub1990  Online
Member since 2013 • 9265 Posts

Locking on is for scrubs. Git gud.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 9982 Posts

@hardwenzen: Replies like these are in no way constructive or useful.

I'm a big fan of From Software Soulsborne games, and some of the recommendations OP makes would be interesting and improve the game.

To the OP, there's a reason you keep playing it. So keep at it. I'm sure the game will grow on you more. :)

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 62393 Posts

>lock on for multiple enemies

Stop locking on for starters. You people have a bad habit of thinking the games combat is exclusively played with lock on, but that's not the case. Locking on is for orienting yourself, but moving around for positioning is also part of the combat, and a lot of that stuff is quicker when not locked on. You can still make precise swings without it. That is absolutely your fault

>backstabbed by enemy

This........hilariously your fault lol. Why did you think you are invincible during this? You can kill the enemy without triggering the animation, further more while they are stun locked you can deal with the other enemy. That is a basic part of decision making in action games and a better way of doing pre-canned attacks like that. If they are free, it can trivialize a lot of the combat, in contrast you can't just do them in a group and not expect to get shit for it.

>arrow thing

While it be cool if you could do that, not exactly cheap or unfair to have rules in your gameplay that enemies can't hit other enemies. So long as an element of a game is fair and consistent, then its on the player to respond to it. A little weird the first time that the arrow goes through enemies n hits you? Eh sure, but now you know for the rest of the game that you can't just assume the enemies buddy is gonna eat that arrow for you. And that's a valid design decision, especially if it makes a more consistent threat to have the player be the one to deal with the archer in the distance, and the enemy directly in front of them.

Sekiro is the shallower of From Software's combat systems, but it's not exactly cheap. All your examples are frankly on you and straight up scrubtalk. It has some obnoxious hurt boxes for grabs tho, that's unfair to the player. But every thing you mentioned is a consistent thing that the player has answers to.

Gamerno6666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Gamerno6666
Member since 2013 • 7137 Posts

At least it will was better than nioh.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25483 Posts

Man, Sekiro is so awesome. It's though, but not too though. Should totally go back to my second playthrough soon. . Hope you keep at it dude.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 6196 Posts

Only cheap thing in Sekiro is the enemy tracking.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 7352 Posts

Personally, Sekiro definitely has the cheapest deaths of all souls game, yet the easiest one to beat and platinum.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 37874 Posts

Good ole Sekiro, where every enemy has a range that is much longer than your own.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 16525 Posts

I mean Soulsborne games have always been cheap ... and From Software is well known to break their own rules in their games ... but with that being said, for the most part they are fair .... the thing i have noticed is that you need to be in the mood, that's probably the most important thing.

When i got Dark Souls 3 ... i only managed to beat Deacons of the Depth and then quit when i got to Farron Keep ... i was so bored and frustrated by how cheap the area felt i had no desire to keep playing ... Several months after that, i was getting hyped again with the game, so i decided to give it a new try ... and man, i couldn't stop playing from that point on, i enjoyed it so much is now my favorite in the franchise.

So yeah, if you think you need a break ... take it, there is no point in going forward with something you are not 100% enjoying.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 13084 Posts

I don't know, couldn't beat that fucker on the horse. Put it down and now I'd have to start from the beginning to get back into it...

It's my weekend, think I'll restart it.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#13 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 9871 Posts

Its the only From game this generation I didn't beat.

I just hit a wall part way through Ashina Castle and was grinding out progress to the point I just wasn't enjoying it anymore and looking up cheesy tactics just to get through fights.

I just couldn't get the precise timing for parrys down against some of the bosses. Not sure it felt cheap necessarily but I certainly found it harder than any previous Souls game or Bloodborne. I've always been shit at parry-heavy combat systems though.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11377 Posts

I haven't played in a while, but I'm like 90% sure that I remember being invulnerable during the kill-move animations.